Cripps to the backline

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Cripps to the backline

[quote]He said Watters has outlined a new role for the teenager for season 2012.

“He wants me playing more backline,â€

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think Cripps is well suited to play the run and carry role from defence. He has good skills, pace and endurance. Although he looked good in his role as a forward in his limited game time last year, I think he will challenge strongly for the positions currently held by Clarke, Ray et al. I like the look of the Crippa. I just hope they get his body right. Could be a gun.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
shmic_s
Club Player

This article from the Herald Sun is much the same.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 6235468734

Hope Jamie is back soon and can make a claim to a regular spot in 2012.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I think Cripps is well suited to play the run and carry role from defence. He has good skills, pace and endurance. Although he looked good in his role as a forward in his limited game time last year, I think he will challenge strongly for the positions currently held by Clarke, Ray et al. I like the look of the Crippa. I just hope they get his body right. Could be a gun.
Think that was the sort of role he was playing when we drafted him.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

True Dr. S

but that herald sun article sh.ts me

One moment mentions tear...............then minor strain

typical article by HS .....crap

saint4life
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:True Dr. S

I can only see tear mentioned. Seems fair enough to me except i would suggest was done maybe a week or two ago as he is back in Melbourne now as i think they start training either today or tomorrow.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

I asked them on twitter and they said it was reported as "slight tear". They've clarified the story now.....

Must say they are bit late on reporting this though as it was back on December 9th it first came to light...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I can only see tear mentioned. Seems fair enough to me except i would suggest was done maybe a week or two ago as he is back in Melbourne now as i think they start training either today or tomorrow.
They changed minor strain to minor tear......

was not fair enough writing to begin with......

someone must have pointed it out to Al Paton

saint4life
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I think Cripps is well suited to play the run and carry role from defence. He has good skills, pace and endurance. Although he looked good in his role as a forward in his limited game time last year, I think he will challenge strongly for the positions currently held by Clarke, Ray et al. I like the look of the Crippa. I just hope they get his body right. Could be a gun.
True Dr.S. He played most of his WAFL games at wing/half back. The way Lyin' played him last year indicated he may have been developing him for a forward role. Good to see Watters wants to play him where he seems most comfortable. He deserves a break after all the bad luck last year. Could be anything if he gets that body right.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Dr.S. He played most of his WAFL games at wing/half back. The way Lyin' played him last year indicated he may have been developing him for a forward role. Good to see Watters wants to play him where he seems most comfortable. He deserves a break after all the bad luck last year. Could be anything if he gets that body right.
I think also Lyon was easing him in given he was a first year player learning how to deal with his recently diagnosed diabetes and resultant fitness issues.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Running HB was what he was recruited for.....and where if he is to play most of a game where he may settle.

I certainly expect that in 2012 that Watters and Pelchen will seek to improve our pace ALL over the ground.

In his first year played as the Sub; The role of Sub is often to be an impact player, a role that his pace made him suited for.

I do not know whether or not Lyon was grooming him to be a forward. Personally I doubt it. I just think that he was suited to the Sub Role...and hat the Sub Role is also a great way to blood players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is something about Cripps -just looks the type to be something special. It's good he can play in multiple roles. Reminds me of the young Harves or Lenny, not ground breaking debuts just have something about them.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Cursed??

Another opportunity awaits!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully not as cursed as Jason Cripps.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scotty must be reading SS because many a person had Cripps at hbf in the best 22 for round 1 thread.

:lol: :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Whether it is Cripps or another I am sure we will someone extra with pace in the backline in 2012. Maybe even two. HBF and BP.

Gilbert for his size is very quick, but our other regulars down back apart from Gram are not overly blessed with pace.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Whether it is Cripps or another I am sure we will someone extra with pace in the backline in 2012. Maybe even two. HBF and BP.

Gilbert for his size is very quick, but our other regulars down back apart from Gram are not overly blessed with pace.
we will need to chuck some pace down there because with zachary gone - gilbo will be required to play a bit more "tall" and maybe not be so attacking.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Source: True Sainters - Facebook

"Not going to link article but we wanted to say something about the Jamie Cripps quad injury and Herald Sun making out like its a brand new setback. Around about December 9th we reported Jamie Cripps had told us he had strained his quad and he expected to be back at full training early in New Year. Since this date he has been running. We just wanted to put peoples mind at ease, its an old injury he is recovering from, not a new one like the Herald Sun would like people to believe."

:P

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It wouldn't surprise if Saad was given a defensive role. Pace and good footskills. May be used in a Leon Davis type role. That's if he's good enough and that is still a substantial if.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Cripps to the backline, possibly a new role for Rooey, possibly BJ forward, and who knows what else!??

One thing is for sure, we definitely ain't going to be seeing the "same old" St.Kilda next year...

Re: Cripps, the kid has got something. I just hope this run of injuries doesn't become a regular thing and ruin his career, much like another skillful player with the same name: Jason Cripps.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps needs to get his body right....work on his skills and harden up a bit IMO

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I like this move a lot. Hopefully it is a kick in the ass to Grammy, as I'd be looking for Cripps to take over his role or at the very least Gram to show major improvement both on and off the field.

I was considering Schneids for the backman type role but it'd be great to see Cripps develop there, would I be wrong in seeing a bit of Delidio in young Cripps??

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cripps needs to get his body right....work on his skills and harden up a bit IMO
I'd agree if you had written this about a guy of 23 with 5 pre seasons under his belt as Cripps did look a little like a dear in the headlights sometimes last season, but it is unfair to write this about a kid who has played a handfull of games, shifted interstate and has had to come to terms with diabetes.

Give him time to find his feet.
Is this the same big mart that blasted posters on this forum who called Aaron Fiora soft?

I think you'll find that each of your points are mutually exclusive.

I have no doubt if fit Cripps will be a starting 22 player round 1.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:It wouldn't surprise if Saad was given a defensive role. Pace and good footskills. May be used in a Leon Davis type role. That's if he's good enough and that is still a substantial if.
maybe if Lyon was coach. what have another forward, nup, lets send him to the backline lol lol!!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Can Cripps actually kick the ball at a level expected of a quality rebounding HBF?

That is the main issue as most rebounders cannot really defend too well (bar Fisher however his disposal never stood out).

No goals from 10 metres out do not count either re Cripps.