1st game memories

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

1st game memories

having just found Max Hudghton's first game for the Saints an Ansett Cup Game in 1997,

do you have vivid memories of Your First St Kilda game

and/ or are there players who had memorable First games...

I have two first games- 1 was a lifetime ago when a child and an Uncle took us to Junction oval to watch St Kilda vs Fitzroy after another functionw as cancelled.- I don;t remember much of that game

second First game was the 1997 Preliminary final vs North melbourne - That was fun-- already loved Burkey but that just enhanced the admiration.- he continues to give is all for the Saints.

Impact First game- Allan Murray after coming of the rookie List to replace Capuano ( also around the time Max became a Father. odd memory connections.

Memorable 1st game- Ben McEvoy and his first touch.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Eariest memories from Moorabbin are patchy due to age , however my collected memories from then include free entry , unable to see much of the game in the outer being a kid , that was until you could find some steel beer cans to stand on ! getting a bag of peanuts later in a game , those footlong hutton's footy franks , great passages of play like Ferings goal or carmen's headbutt , and it was always great running on to the ground after the game , especially if we won !!! getting close to or even touching your heroes .

In red white and black from 73
Majority
Club Player

My first game was at Moorabbin, in 1968. I don’t remember much about it.
I do remember we were at the South Road end amongst opposition supporters.
Entry fee for a child would have been 5 cents or less.
There were no seats in the outer, as it was then called.
The only seats at Moorabbin were in the 2 stands. And the plastic seats in front of the Social Club were not there, all seats were made of timber.
Even though I was only eight years old, I was introduced to beer. Full strength beer.
Sold in cans, with no limit. They were not the present day wimpy aluminium cans.
Back then, drink cans were made of steel. I did not drink the beer,
but as the cans were so strong I was able to help my height limitation by finding empty cans on the ground and then standing on them to improve my view of the game.
It was a common practice as Mr Six O’clock mentioned in his post.
How times have changed, not only could you drink unlimited full strength beer, but you could smoke also.
And not too many years later I saw people smoking at the footy, and it was not you normal cigarette.
I missed the premiership by two years. If you believe in premiership windows, maybe mine has passed.

If you are interested in the history of our game from a supporters view, I suggest you try and find these wonderful books.

From The Outer.
(Watching Football in the 80s)
Written by Garrie Hutchinson
McPhee Gribble/Penguin Books 1984

The Barracker’s Bible
(A Dictionary of Sporting Slang)
Written by Jack Hibberd & Garrie Hutchinson
McPhee Gribble/Penguin Books 1983

Saturday Afternoon Fever.
(A Footy Fan’s Memoirs of a Life on the Outer Looking In)
Written by the one and only Matthew Hardy
HarperCollins 1999

The above authors names were checked for correct spelling.

Majority
Club Player

Before somebody corrects me.

There was one row of seats around the fence at Moorabbin,
but you needed to be early to secure one.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I remember most of my early games. Once the bar was discovered the latter games are mostly a blur. :D :D :D :D

StGoddard18
Club Player

I think my first game was when we played Fitzroy in their last game ( was something like that) . I definitely remember when the lights went out at waverly.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

My first game was the 1966 Grand Final. No more needs to be said.

I was too late for Ditterich, but one standout first game was Dean Greig.

ThePunter
Club Player

The first game I can remember being taken to was a mate of my grandfather's taking us into the Animal Enclosure at Moorabbin for the last game of 1985. The one where we beat Footscray.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

1991 Vs Collingwood at Waverley Park.

We lost. A kid about my age gave me the 'bird' for waving the flag my parents bought for me, realised from that point why they were hated so much. Can't remember too much of the match itself, the excitement of it all got to me I think.

They walk amongst us...

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Majority wrote:Before somebody corrects me.

There was one row of seats around the fence at Moorabbin,
but you needed to be early to secure one.
You are 100% correct Sir.
A friend and I would always show up for the start of the reserves game and usually bag ourselves a seat on this narrow little run of timber. We were about 14 at the time. Oh for the days when a couple of 14 year olds could go to the footy on their own and you worry about them.

darylcowie
Club Player

My father took me to see the saints play his beloved tigers at VFL Park as a six-year old back in June 1975.

I remember KB running around like he had BO and kicking a few easy goals in the first half and Barry Lawrence kicking torpedo punts straight into the centre square, Ben Graham style (except he wasn't a left footer!).

I told my father I would barrack for whichever team won that day and things looked pretty rosy for dad when the tigers led by eight goals at half time, 9.8.62 to 1.8.14!

As any middle-aged (or older) sainter knows, we went on to win that game by a couple of goals and I can even remember the score on the old electronic scoreboard at arctic park, which read St.Kilda 14.18.102 to Richmond 13.12.90!

I can't remeMber who turned the game around for us in the second half, but apparently Mick Malthouse was still playing for us and not the tigers.

Dad forgave me for jumping ship and even developed a soft spot for Plugger years later!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
darylcowie
Club Player

George Young was my idol from that day on as a six-year old starry-eyed kid!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:I think my first game was when we played Fitzroy in their last game ( was something like that) . I definitely remember when the lights went out at waverly.
I was at the final Fitzroy game because my exes dad had played ressies for them and she still followed them. Don't think it was against us.

Yeah the waverley park one was memorable. Three hours feeling for my car in the dark. Had to watch essendon twice and we had to pay for the second game. That was so funny people went feral after about 20 minutes.

The other was when the scoreboard at the dandenong end caught fire out there. They didn't have any kind of system that kicked in and told people what to do so we just sat there watching for ages.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I started going in 1990 as a 6/7 year old, but the first match I really remember was round 7 1991. The super-emulsification of Adelaide. It was then that I truly became a supporter, and the rest is history. Tragic, tragic history.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

How can you say tragic.
Post 1990 is our most succesful era, you are too demanding.
Iwas told 1st 50 years are the hardest I only have 4 to go :P

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:I started going in 1990 as a 6/7 year old, but the first match I really remember was round 7 1991. The super-emulsification of Adelaide. It was then that I truly became a supporter, and the rest is history. Tragic, tragic history.
that game was pure joy to every long suffering Saints supporter as well

especially one that hadnt enjoyed drinking beer at the football until that day