Steven & Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Steven & Armitage

Anyone concerned with their pre season form?

Steven was quiet again against Collingwood... Also Armtiage looked like he was tagging Pendlebury a bit. Kept racing off to the bench upon Pendlebury deciding to go for a rest.

Would appreciate some other perspectives...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven & Armitage

Never been a real fan of Armo. Lacks a few things that good AFL footballers need. Steven will be ok. I wouldnt worry about him.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Anyone concerned with their pre season form?

Steven was quiet again against Collingwood... Also Armtiage looked like he was tagging Pendlebury a bit. Kept racing off to the bench upon Pendlebury deciding to go for a rest.

Would appreciate some other perspectives...
Totally agree...Very worrying signs. But have to reserve judgement till mid year.

Does Armo remind anyone else of a Roddy Owen type, or is it just me?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Armitage has never looked all that flash to me: apart from one match in Launceston a couple of years ago (and people shouldn't pay as much attention as they do to a one-off brilliant display by any player, as the guy playing on him might have had a total shocker).

I would be hoping/expecting that he will be working his guts out to try to impress the new coach: if he isn't delivering much at this stage then I'm more than a little concerned. I still see him as part of our plans going forward, but he doesn't have the pure natural ability to demand a place in our top side unless he is performing week in and week out. So the onus is very much on him.

Steven has always looked like an A-grade player to me: not a superstar, but as a guy likely to play over 200 AFL games barring injury. The natural talent is definitely there, so I think we can be a bit more patient with him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Armo lacks skills and speed...Plus he's not a 'natural footballer' with good instincts for the game...Not a good combination....He could learn a lot from someone like Daniel Cross who wasn't gifted with much however has got a lot out of himself. IMO Armo needs to simply work harder or he'll be playing for Sandy by halfway through the season.

From all reports Steven has had a massive preseason and is ready to explode. Hopefully his preseason form is not an indication of how he will go this year.

For us to have any chance of playing finals both these guys need to increase their output from last season...Armo needs to significantly improve.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I do worry a little for Dave based on his preseason, I am sure he will be given an opportunity though.

There are games I've seen him play where something just clicked and he just went for it, and he was very, very good.

This year will be a bit different in the sense that there will be younger guys pushing for selection, he has to perform to retain his spot.

Ross seems to be showing a bit, which should be good for Armo.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

tweedaletomanning wrote:Does Armo remind anyone else of a Roddy Owen type, or is it just me?
What similarities do you see TtoM?

I'm asking coz IMHO, and no offense to Armo, Rod Owen was one of those blokes who could have been anything. :cry:

Sadly, he should possibly now be in that other post - Official "what if" thread. More :cry:.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Does Armo remind anyone else of a Roddy Owen type, or is it just me?
What similarities do you see TtoM?

I'm asking coz IMHO, and no offense to Armo, Rod Owen was one of those blokes who could have been anything. :cry:

Sadly, he should possibly now be in that other post - Official "what if" thread. More :cry:.
I was thinking more about the way he moves or the "strut" than anything else really...

Guess I am hoping he has the talent.....

DWOODROW
Club Player

Will be surprised to see Armo make the team this year to be honest.

He will be traded at the end of the year so everyone can stop worrying.

As for steven, not fussed on him really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Will be surprised to see Armo make the team this year to be honest.

the season hasnt even started yet! We are are at Round 0.
in any case - if ur 25yo and cant make the saints 22 - then ur chances of being traded are very very slim. so id say its saints or nothing for armo.
lets all wait until round 11 before we start crying.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 19 Mar 2012 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Will be surprised to see Armo make the team this year to be honest.

A very sooky post. People are just saying what they feel. I would suggest if you dont like these comments have a rest until Armo gets a kick and then you can see some positive posts.

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

A very sooky post. People are just saying what they feel. I would suggest if you dont like these comments have a rest until Armo gets a kick and then you can see some positive posts.
Aggh f*** off you idiot. It was a joke.

You would know all about positive posts because you are so full of them arn't you.

Seriously shut up

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You would know all about positive posts because you are so full of them arn't you.

Seriously shut up

Seems you took that well. If you are going to make a joke at least make it funny. That is what a joke is about. Lets face it you were serious because everytime Armo cops criticism you do the same sort of thing. I dont blame you but lets face it is a fan forum so there will always be positive and negative criticism.

DWOODROW
Club Player

haahhahahaha

I really dont have anything to say to that Plugger. You are obviously the all knowing and can read my thoughts from behind a computer. You truly are amazing.

I will never post a joke again in case I mean what I am saying.

Looking back over what I wrote, only one of those things isn't true.

Can you tell me which one.??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Everyone should stop worrying?

;)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Carlton will finish last because they have had the worst campaign and it's already march. I thought you guys had decided Crocker was the new whipping boy? Armo or steven you can have both.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

lol plugger telling forumites to be funny
the king of sarcasm, the world's "highest" calibre of whit

I don't really think Armo has many chances left now. We've waited a long time for him to step up... my feeling is that if its not this year it pbly won't happen

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Seriously shut up

In all fairness DWOODROW, I took it the same way as P66...

You make a comment like that, then state it was a joke, then state one of the two comments was true....

DWOODROW
Club Player

Well The first line won't be true,

the second line is a possiblity

the 3rd line is true

You started this thread which doesnt really make much sense because they both played in the same team together last year in different positions.

It was meant as a joke but now I really don't care who says what.

There are a number of other players including senior players who have done f*** all in the Nab cup. What of it.

Dave wouldn't be in my starting team in round 1 on his NAB cup performances. Neither would steven and many others, so what.

You've started a thread asking what people think, I made a comment that while I was sitting her writing it was meant as a joke. I don't really give two f**** what you or your mate plugger think. I'm the one that f****** wrote it.

After round 3 - 5 I will make a judment then. So really this is a bulls*** thread isn't it.

I knew it was coming but thought it would have at least been started in the season proper.

Darth Vader
Club Player

I thought Armo had an excellent first part of last season after Lenny went down until Ross tried to turn him into Andrew McQualter, a role he's clearly not suited for. Play him in the guts and I still think he can be a fantastic contributor for us, as can Steven. And I agree with DWOODROW, if you go on NAB Cup form, we won't have many playing for us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:I thought Armo had an excellent first part of last season after Lenny went down until Ross tried to turn him into Andrew McQualter, a role he's clearly not suited for. Play him in the guts and I still think he can be a fantastic contributor for us, as can Steven. And I agree with DWOODROW, if you go on NAB Cup form, we won't have many playing for us.

lets re-convene in round 6.
in the meantime! wheres the esky?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Fair call sticking up for your bro. I might be harsh at times on Armo but that's because I expect a lot more from him. I know he can do more. We see glimpses. Agree Lyon playing him as a defensive forward was not ideal.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Fair call sticking up for your bro. I might be harsh at times on Armo but that's because I expect a lot more from him. I know he can do more. We see glimpses. Agree Lyon playing him as a defensive forward was not ideal.
I have no dramas with what anyone says about him. I make some pretty harsh comments about him to and his football.

Just don't see how this thread can be of any use before a game is played this season.

I make no apology for coming across as 'SOOKY' as plugger puts it or pissed off as I put it.

noob
Club Player

I thought Armitage was one of our better kicks. Just needs to learn to position himself better in contests.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ease up fellas...ease up.. come on...don't have a blue. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.