Ian Synman's Guernsey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gooner
Club Player

Ian Synman's Guernsey

Today I got a sneak peek at the new Australian Jewry display at the Australian Jewish Museum on Alma Rd. It's not open for a few weeks but as I'm a teacher i got a preview.
It's not necessarily a large exhibition but my eyes were immediately drawn to the red, white and black in a case in the corner. In the case I was proud to see Ian Synman's guernsey from the 66 Grand Final alongside a signed match ball. That Grand Final was played on Yom Kippur, a very holy day for the Jewish people, and being Jewish it was a huge personal issue wether he would play or not.
The shirt was donated to the museum by Ian.
I'm not suggesting that you all go and see the exhibition but I thought it was an interesting thing to mention here. It made me happy anyway.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ian Synman's Guernsey

Can you name all the other St Kilda players who are Jewish?

Can I assume Mordakai Bromberg is one?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Can you name all the other St Kilda players who are Jewish?

Can I assume Mordakai Bromberg is one?
Mordi Bromberg is definately Jewish. I think he is now a judge !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Ian needed to get permission to play from his Rabbi. Bet he's been eternally thankful he asked and that his request was granted.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
mcadam05
Club Player

A Great Saint :)

bergsone
SS Life Member

mcadam05 wrote:A Great Saint :)

That grandstand brings back memories :)

widereceiver
Club Player

Was he from Ajax?

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Majority
Club Player

The Hon. Justice Mordecai BROMBERG
Judge, Federal Court of Australia

http://www.fedcourt.gov.au/aboutct/bromberg.html

For a time, he could combine the two. He made his debut in 1978 under Mike Patterson while studying law at Monash University, but left midway through the following season after a falling out with the coach.
He spent the rest of 1979 in the Victorian amateur competition with Ajax, playing in a premiership with a group of mates who played for fun rather than money. It is a football memory he still rates as his fondest.
He returned to St Kilda in 1980 to give League football one last crack, even deferring his studies for a year so he could prepare properly. It was the right move.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

loris
Saintsational Legend

Ian Synman was a 'ginger megs', 'bluey', or as is said today a................ 'ranga'!!!!

His father was a pharmacist, whose chemist shop was in Latrobe St just around the corner from Russell St if I can recall correctly. I can remember there was an interview with his Dad in the papers (Herald I think) the week of the '66 Grand Final. The heading was "MY BOY IAN"................... it was a fantastic interview of a very proud Dad........... and he had every right to be.

Just a bit of useless info from this old nostalgic Sainter, who loves recalling that wonderful week as a Saint supporter!!!!!

Majority
Club Player

Calling someone a Ranga is an insult.
Ranga is an abbreviation of Orangutan.
If you did not know, Orangutans have red hair.

If it is not acceptable to call people from other countries Apes, Gorillas or Monkeys.
It is not acceptable to call our own Ranga's.

And no, I do not have red hair.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Majority wrote:Calling someone a Ranga is an insult.
Ranga is an abbreviation of Orangutan.
If you did not know, Orangutans have red hair.

If it is not acceptable to call people from other countries Apes, Gorillas or Monkeys.
It is not acceptable to call our own Ranga's.

And no, I do not have red hair.
I used to have red hair................... alas it's now grey :cry: :cry: :cry:

Most of my life I suffered the jibes of 'megsy', bluey, bloodnut, ranga, freckles etc....................... so Ian Synman was one of my faves in those days as he was like me......... visually differennt, part of a minority in the Australian population because of our hair colouring.

But at least we stood out in a crowd, with flaming red hair and freckles....................... and it made us 'rangas' develop thick skins, determined personalities and confidence in the knowledge that we stood out because of our hair colouringfrom the everyday ho hum mob.

I just loved it when red hair became fashionable in the 1990's and females were paying hairdressers enormous amounts to go red........... they could never get the authentic look though, still can't to this day...................... we true rangas can pick a bottled ranga..... and they truly are the second class citizens in the hair stakes!!

Nowadays, the ginger megs, blueys, bloodnuts, and rangas wear those jibes of yesteryear as a 'badge of honour,................ we definitely are different and unique group of individuals that stand out from the colourless masses.

Yep Ian was a ranga.................. he's possibly has hair these days the colour of 'the underneath of a ewe's belly' :shock: :shock: For that's what I heard a hairdresser once say happened to us rangas as our hair colouring faded with age :lol: :lol: :lol: Baa! Baa! Baa!!!!!!

I think one of the hardest things I have faced in life is losing the colour of my flaming red hair as I've aged........ but I'd never resort to the dye bottle................ then I''d also become just one of the masses :wink: :wink: :wink:

I found it most acceptable to be called a 'ranga' over the years :P :P :P