Selection Dilemma this week...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Selection Dilemma this week...

Number 1
Back 6????
Blake, Gwilt, Dempster, Simpkin, Fisher, Gram, Geary, Clarke, Gilbert, Newnes
10 into 6 doesn't work..... And all of that withough Key defenders... We are facing a 197cm Petrie

Number 2
Sandringham
Wilkes took ten contested marks...... Kosi???
Ray had 32 and was Very good and did not much wrong in the seniors....

Number 3
Fwds
With Schnieder back, Saad back..... Milne, Siposs, and Milera???
Stanley back from injury???
is the best set up
3 talls 3 smalls
2 talls 4 smalls
2 talls 1 medium 3 smalls??

Number 4
Ruck
McEvoy struggling........ Blake was better
Stanley, Kosi??? As back up?? Blake as back up?
What's the correct combination??

Number 5
Simpkin, Newnes, Siposs, Milera, Stanley......
When are these boys picked before
Blake, Gram, Milne, Koschitke
Or are they at the risk of losing???

ThePunter
Club Player

Re: Selection Dilemma this week...

All good problems... just have to ensure the right decisions are made.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't think we are a genuine threat this year…

Therefore I feel like fast tracking younger guys is probably now more important than putting the 'best' 22 out every week. Stanley/Sinpkin/Saad simply can't miss games for Kosi/Blake/Milne.

Gwilt is still not back to AFL pace… Kosi looks injured or is just struggling badly,

1. back 6 - Dempster, Simpkin, Fisher, Geary, Gilbert, Newnes

2. Wilkes, only if 2 of Kosi, Roo & Stanley are injured

3. I like 2 talls, 1 med, 3 smalls… Riewoldt, Stanley, Siposs, Saad, Milera, Schneider.

4. Mac has only played one game, needs to be persisted with if fit.

5. Think we have to risk losing, we are now absolutely desperate for experience in our under 25's… At any rate, I don't think the older guys are offering a massive increase in comparison…

Kernal75
Club Player

Please Newnes for Gram.......might be in our "best 22" but won't be there come 2013 so it's time to go.
Same goes for Raph, even though he's been reasonable he still makes glaring howlers. Simpkin can come in for him.

Stanley has to come back, play 3 talls and 3 smalls - Saad, Milera, Milne. Schneids to move up to the wing.
Sipposs as the sub.

Need to keep a blance whilst we're a chance to make finals, if we don't look like making it then get the broom out in preparation for next year.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Kosi out, Stanley in.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good thread and discussion BM

No 1.
As for this week, unfortunately none of those 10 will match up well on Petrie. Perhaps with Fisher having a game under his belt, and floating in front of North's inside 50 entries, it won't be such an issue? I'm confident by Watters comments that Simpkin will be back in. Geary is already in.

No 2. I think Farren, Raph, Newnes, Wilkes, Siposs are all competing for one of the last remaining spots in the list. 10 contested marks is impressive by Wilkes, however he was dominating at VFL level prior to his other opportunities.

No 3. Not sure Stanley is right yet? As of 19/6 he is one week until resumes full training, so I reckon they won't rush him. As for the forward line setup, prior to Saads inclusion I'd have said Watters preferred 3 talls, 2 smalls, now I'm not sure.

No 4. Ben worries me, not because I don't think he'll make it, but because while he is learning to make it he brings less than Blake IMO

No 5. This is where Watters earns his money.

older saint
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Number 1
Back 6????
Blake, Gwilt, Dempster, Simpkin, Fisher, Gram, Geary, Clarke, Gilbert, Newnes
10 into 6 doesn't work..... And all of that withough Key defenders... We are facing a 197cm Petrie

Number 2
Sandringham
Wilkes took ten contested marks...... Kosi???
Ray had 32 and was Very good and did not much wrong in the seniors....

Number 3
Fwds
With Schnieder back, Saad back..... Milne, Siposs, and Milera???
Stanley back from injury???
is the best set up
3 talls 3 smalls
2 talls 4 smalls
2 talls 1 medium 3 smalls??

Number 4
Ruck
McEvoy struggling........ Blake was better
Stanley, Kosi??? As back up?? Blake as back up?
What's the correct combination??

Number 5
Simpkin, Newnes, Siposs, Milera, Stanley......
When are these boys picked before
Blake, Gram, Milne, Koschitke
Or are they at the risk of losing???
No. 1 : Gwilt, Fisher, Blake, Geary, Clarke, Dempster (Gilbert on wing, Gram rotating off bench) - need Blake as back up ruck and if Petrie gets on top of Fish

No2. Ray must be close and i think a good tag for Wells - their barometre

No.3 Stanley back through 2's - Milne ( on notice), Kosi, Saad, Schnieder, Roo, Schnieder - Milera out Ray in

No 4. One game back form 7 weeks out give him some time. Blake and Kosi back up

No.5 Siposs must stay in, others must earn their spots over existing players not given games, although i would say Milne, Kosi and one or 2 others may well be on notice which is a good thing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

For all the dilemma's and baring injury there may not even be a change this week. Actually Saad should play for maybe Milera.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure Watters would be mulling over some big calls right now....

Will he make a courageous call, or stick with the conservative selections......

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Will we go through the conservative and brave selections BEFORE the game or on Monday after we have potentially lost?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:All good problems... just have to ensure the right decisions are made.
How is it a good problem when we are 6-6?

Austinnn
Club Player

Good thread, and honestly stumped for the answers. You'd have to see how they performed in training and know the skinny about their injuries and so on.

I don't know if I'd bring Stanley back unless he was red hot, his confidence isn't up to a towelling just yet. Saad slow-walks straight in, probably at Milera's expense. Depending on how Kosi's feeling, I'd swap him for Wilkes.

I think the club has to look forward and persevere with The Owl, but I'd have Blake as backup without doubt.

Ray did well and so did Peake, but as Plugger has said the VFL is a totally different standard... perhaps Ray for Gram, but I'm not a Gram fan. I don't know the Roos game well enough to know which player could oppose it better; anyone?

As for Q5 and in general, we are in a tight group so we have to go for the win even if it's not a glam look, and the Roos will make us earn every point, so we have to go with grunt over finesse here. The time to start dropping the vets for the up and comers is at the start of 2013 for me, with cameos until then. From this point on its

NORTH (tricky)
DONS (tough)
LIONS at the Gabba (ok)
SWANS at the SCG (tricky)
DOGS (fine)
PIES (tough)
DEES (fine)
CATS at Etihad (tricky)
GIANTS (fine)
BLUES at Etihad (ok)

No big period of easy games or hard games. The big calls will probably get made early, perhaps have already been made, but this year is being treated as a slow bedding in for the youngsters and a curtain call for a few players. The transition is already in place. I think any time this year is still too early though.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:For all the dilemma's and baring injury there may not even be a change this week. Actually Saad should play for maybe Milera.
Saad is a definite in.

It's Karma: Egypt elections, Saints flags everywhere!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

1/ my preferred back 6

Gwilt Simpkin Blake
Geary Fisher Clarke

Gram and Gilbo on the wings

2/ Kosi stays, Ray a big chance but I can't see who goes.

3/ If Stanleys available

Milne Kosi Stanley
Scneider Riewoldt Saad

It'll be a slaughter

4/ Blake to stay in defence

Rucks: McEvoy, Stanley, Kosi alternating

5/Answer = When they are in form

Simpkin got a rest but will return,
Newnes not yet best 22
Sipposs currenty in the team
Milera's form is slowing so should get a rest
Stanley will return alongside Kosi

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt, Fisher, Blake, Geary, Blake, Simpkin, Dempster, Gilbert, Gram, Ray, Goddard, Jones, Joey, Ben, Dal, Kosi, Roo, Hayes, Saad, Milne, Schneider, Siposs.
To me these are our best 22, but too many defenders. Geary makes a great sub, so is in the 22 at worst.

Then we have Newnes, Stanley, Milera, Clarke, Peake, Wilkes, Polo, Ledger, Cripps
Probably forgotten someone?

Who from above gets in? Not Clarke as we have too many defenders already. Polo and Peake are backup only, Stanley in ahead of Wilkes so I'd put him in as we look good with three talls forward and is a good back up ruck. Finally, Milera in ahead of Cripps. Ledger? Looks like he isn't considered ready?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Gwilt, Fisher, Blake, Geary, Blake, Simpkin, Dempster, Gilbert, Gram, Ray, Goddard, Jones, Joey, Ben, Dal, Kosi, Roo, Hayes, Saad, Milne, Schneider, Siposs.
To me these are our best 22, but too many defenders. Geary makes a great sub, so is in the 22 at worst.

Then we have Newnes, Stanley, Milera, Clarke, Peake, Wilkes, Polo, Ledger, Cripps

Who from above gets in? Not Clarke as we have too many defenders already. Polo and Peake are backup only, Stanley in ahead of Wilkes so I'd put him in as we look good with three talls forward and is a good back up ruck. Finally, Milera in ahead of Cripps. Ledger? Looks like he isn't considered ready?
Armo, Jack?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If Stanley is fit:

B: Gwilt, Fisher, Dempster
HB: Gram, Blake, Goddard
C: Gilbert, Hayes, Clarke
HF: Saad, Riewoldt, Armitage
F: Milne, Sippos, Stanley

Foll: McEvoy, Steven, Dal Santo
Int: Jones, Montagna, Geary, Schneider (sub)

Out: Koschitzke, Milera
In: Saad, Stanley

If Stanley doesn't come up either Kosi or Wilkes gets another chance.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

desertsaint wrote:Gwilt, Fisher, Blake, Geary, Blake, Simpkin, Dempster, Gilbert, Gram, Ray, Goddard, Jones, Joey, Ben, Dal, Kosi, Roo, Hayes, Saad, Milne, Schneider, Siposs.

Good post DS. Stanley in (when fit) for one of the Blake brothers, and maybe Raph for the other, and Tezza in for Grammy would be the only adjustments I'd look at. I'd also have the cat-kicker in ahead of Ray, but we all know that won't happen... (Maybe Cuddles is saving him up for the Girlong game???)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Middo
Club Player

In regards to the backs probably gunna get shot down but think Blake gets monstered by the bigger forwards and always gives away soft frees by grabbing the jumper , plays better as the second running ruckmen/midfielder type for mine. Goldstein in good form so maybe we can use Blake to help Big Mac and be dangerous when moving forward. Hopefully our midfield get on top early like we did against Carlton and Petrie wont become dangerous...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Good post DS. Stanley in (when fit) for one of the Blake brothers, and maybe Raph for the other, and Tezza in for Grammy would be the only adjustments I'd look at. I'd also have the cat-kicker in ahead of Ray, but we all know that won't happen... (Maybe Cuddles is saving him up for the Girlong game???)
10 defenders and no Armitage or Steven… I think this side still needs some refining.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dragit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

10 defenders and no Armitage or Steven… I think this side still needs some refining.
Damn! I blame DS! What a crap post! Fix it DS! :lol:

Ok, from that side, how about the unlucky Blake brothers out for Armo and Steven, Ray out for Tezza, Grammy out for Rhys Lightning, and nobody out for Ledger? (At least I'll get that last one correct.) :wink: Raph also unlucky for mine.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sorry guys - knew I'd forgotten someone - but two is a bit much. shouldn't post while watching tv - I almost forgot Lenny as well, but thought it surely isn't that easy to get less than a full 22 out and reread. Obviously should've read it again.

So - obviously both Steven and armo are in to my original 22. Easy - gram out!
What? I've got Blake twice as well. Okay - put gram back in.
Why can't we support a lacrosse team - less to remember.

Too many defenders so...gram stays out for Stanley.

Bugger it - next years starting 22: not in order.
Gwilt, Simpson, Newnes
Gilbo, Chips, Dempster
Ledger, Steven, Goddard
Joey, Dal, Armo,
Schneids, Roo, Milera,
Saad, Stanley, Kosi
Hayes, Ben, Siposs, Milne

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Bugger it - next years starting 22: not in order.
Gwilt, Simpson, Newnes
Gilbo, Chips, Dempster
Ledger, Steven, Goddard
Joey, Dal, Armo,
Schneids, Roo, Milera,
Saad, Stanley, Kosi
Hayes, Ben, Siposs, Milne
Are we recruiting this bloke? :shock:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not my night I guess. But that one is the fault of ipad bloody auto correct. :|

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Not my night I guess. But that one is the fault of ipad bloody auto correct. :|
You could've at least said "D'oh" :wink: :)