My turn to judge footballers on one week only

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

My turn to judge footballers on one week only

Good to see there hasnt been any threads on Gram being a hack, Milney being delisted at the end of the year and Kosi just being Kosi. People criticize the media for changing their mind weekly but I reckon a few on here could be guilty of that.

We get the weekly Gram is soft thread when to me he clearly isnt. Just plays differently to guys like Lenny and Armo. Then we have Milney is finished because he cant tackle and the only thing he does is kick 2 goals a game which most forwards can do. Well the thing is most forwards dont do it. It is nearly impossble to do. Milney averages just a fraction less goals per game than Browny and Rooy. Not a bad effort for a small forward. Again has the most goals for any small forward this year. Maybe he isnt as good of a tackler as Jetta but Jetta is a lot younger. Milney still know where the goals are and anyone who thinks he is finished better realise we will be losing nearly 50 goals in a year. If Milney retires it doesnt mean Saad and Milera will automatically take up the slack.

As for Kosi he again gets the weekly he is no good thread and I am guilty of jumping on that one but it is good to see there wont be one this week. We will at least have to wait to the Lions game for that one.

Also where is the lets tank thread this week. If we did tank after last weeks game we would have missed a 70 point win. I have an idea. lets not tank until we know we are useless because I see no please in losing winnable games especially against a side like Essendon. Anyway over to you guys to judge this piece of crap.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: My turn to judge footballers on one week only

Yes all true but can we win two in a row Plugs?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think what last night showed was that, when Milne and Gram and Kosi go well, and Dal and Joey, the team lifts enormously.

You know Riewoldt and Lenny and Sam Fisher are always going to make an impact. Some of our other stars regularly seem to get shut out/go missing during games. Perhaps this is a problem with stars at other clubs, but it's always been really noticeable at our club: especially for Milne, Kosi and Dal.

The other thing that really lifted us last night was CJ coming back. Some on here want to dump him but I reckon that, under Watters' game plan, this guy is more important than he has ever been. He has more freedom to move around and serve as an impact player all around the ground. When we score goals, CJ has often made a relatively small but critical contribution 5 or 6 plays back. Sure, his kicking and handballing skills are rubbish. But he provides that elusive something that people in the rugby codes call "go forward".

And, might I say, on the basis of last night's performance, I was wrong about Simpkin. He did some great things. However, he still doesn't look totally convincing as a one-on-one defender. And he doesn't use the ball well enough to be a loose man. So he's got a way to go IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yes all true but can we win two in a row Plugs?

It will be hard. All I ask of you is we dont have thread by you calling the Lions hacks.

cross2012
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Good to see there hasnt been any threads on Gram being a hack, Milney being delisted at the end of the year and Kosi just being Kosi. People criticize the media for changing their mind weekly but I reckon a few on here could be guilty of that.

We get the weekly Gram is soft thread when to me he clearly isnt. Just plays differently to guys like Lenny and Armo. Then we have Milney is finished because he cant tackle and the only thing he does is kick 2 goals a game which most forwards can do. Well the thing is most forwards dont do it. It is nearly impossble to do. Milney averages just a fraction less goals per game than Browny and Rooy. Not a bad effort for a small forward. Again has the most goals for any small forward this year. Maybe he isnt as good of a tackler as Jetta but Jetta is a lot younger. Milney still know where the goals are and anyone who thinks he is finished better realise we will be losing nearly 50 goals in a year. If Milney retires it doesnt mean Saad and Milera will automatically take up the slack.

As for Kosi he again gets the weekly he is no good thread and I am guilty of jumping on that one but it is good to see there wont be one this week. We will at least have to wait to the Lions game for that one.

Also where is the lets tank thread this week. If we did tank after last weeks game we would have missed a 70 point win. I have an idea. lets not tank until we know we are useless because I see no please in losing winnable games especially against a side like Essendon. Anyway over to you guys to judge this piece of crap.
I tend to have a glass half full view with our players.They will have better weeks than others, will play games injured or play a team roll that sacrifices their personal performance. I dont see the point in zeroing in on a players limitations. All you can ask is that they give 100% everytime they run out. I think we get that more often than not

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is too inconsistent for mine. plays too many poor games. Need him tho with our shortage of ruck / kpp options.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Kosi is too inconsistent for mine. plays too many poor games. Need him tho with our shortage of ruck / kpp options.
Alas, it seems he has been reported for "rough play". My recollection is that he has a bad record, so the minimum penalty will be 2 weeks (if found guilty).

felix
Club Player

by plugger66 » Sun 08 Jul 2012 7:51am

Good to see there hasnt been any threads on Gram being a hack, Milney being delisted at the end of the year and Kosi just being Kosi. People criticize the media for changing their mind weekly but I reckon a few on here could be guilty of that.

Don't forget Gilbert much maligned as well thought he was terrific last night , really took the game on and backed himself in.

cross2012
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Kosi is too inconsistent for mine. plays too many poor games. Need him tho with our shortage of ruck / kpp options.
Alas, it seems he has been reported for "rough play". My recollection is that he has a bad record, so the minimum penalty will be 2 weeks (if found guilty).
You get 100% effort from Kosi most weeks. Biggest issue is that his body lets him down and plays injured. His team mates and coaches really value his contribution. Interestingly, last night he took their best defender which allowed Wilkes and Roo more opportunity. With our depleted big man stocks we cant afford to see him suspended

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

It's a typical trait of most football pundits, hardly surprising to see it manifest on the Internet when we amateurs share our views. The pejorative nature of the posts towards the whipping boys you mention is something that is something chosen to ignore over time here, the I'll informed comments on effort and courage are ridiculous.

However, in terms of strong opinions based on a single game;

I thought gwilt went missing towards the end. Needs to run out the 4 quarters. And Ray did nothing in the first half.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:It's a typical trait of most football pundits, hardly surprising to see it manifest on the Internet when we amateurs share our views. The pejorative nature of the posts towards the whipping boys you mention is something that is something chosen to ignore over time here, the I'll informed comments on effort and courage are ridiculous.

I thought gwilt went missing towards the end. Needs to run out the 4 quarters. And Ray did nothing in the first half.

This is what I mean. My post was supposed to be positive and then you come out with negative comments like that. Both those players were excellent in the time you said they did nothing. No wonder we cant win a flag.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
reported for rough play again?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

oh dear!!!!

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

meher baba wrote:I think what last night showed was that, when Milne and Gram and Kosi go well, and Dal and Joey, the team lifts enormously.

You know Riewoldt and Lenny and Sam Fisher are always going to make an impact. Some of our other stars regularly seem to get shut out/go missing during games. Perhaps this is a problem with stars at other clubs, but it's always been really noticeable at our club: especially for Milne, Kosi and Dal.

The other thing that really lifted us last night was CJ coming back. Some on here want to dump him but I reckon that, under Watters' game plan, this guy is more important than he has ever been. He has more freedom to move around and serve as an impact player all around the ground. When we score goals, CJ has often made a relatively small but critical contribution 5 or 6 plays back. Sure, his kicking and handballing skills are rubbish. But he provides that elusive something that people in the rugby codes call "go forward".

And, might I say, on the basis of last night's performance, I was wrong about Simpkin. He did some great things. However, he still doesn't look totally convincing as a one-on-one defender. And he doesn't use the ball well enough to be a loose man. So he's got a way to go IMO.
CJ is as fierce a competitor as any... his defensive work is first rate

What I like about Simpkin is that like Geary he is hard as a cat's head

Reimers had all the momentum in that marking collision, Simpkin should have come off second best but it was Reimers who stayed on the ground

The Craw
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:It's a typical trait of most football pundits, hardly surprising to see it manifest on the Internet when we amateurs share our views. The pejorative nature of the posts towards the whipping boys you mention is something that is something chosen to ignore over time here, the I'll informed comments on effort and courage are ridiculous.

This is what I mean. My post was supposed to be positive and then you come out with negative comments like that. Both those players were excellent in the time you said they did nothing. No wonder we cant win a flag.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Love you humor CB18 ....

Not Craw, CRAW!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Good to see there hasnt been any threads on Gram being a hack, Milney being delisted at the end of the year and Kosi just being Kosi. People criticize the media for changing their mind weekly but I reckon a few on here could be guilty of that.

Is it not just as fanciful, far fetched and stupid to suggest after 1 good game that all other poor efforts were simply an aberration ?

Isnt that the same thing? Or does 1 good win make a summer....while 1 poor loss is I'll informed fans ovvereacting??

Amazing how biased we are when it's simply our own perspective.

It's a fans footy forum.... I'd just adjust your expectation of it, state your footy case and leave people to their own opinions which are as valid as the next...

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Edged wrote:
Reimers had all the momentum in that marking collision, Simpkin should have come off second best but it was Reimers who stayed on the ground
I'm glad you called it a 'marking collision' rather than a marking contest. Reimers didn't have eyes for the ball, did he? Simpkin got up and played on, so the AFL and the mrp won't say boo abou it. Watch the replay.

Reimers was clearly trying to shepherd so Hille could take the mark 'uncontested.'

Reimers didn't have eyes for the ball, did he? It was clumsy, reckless and deserving of weeks according to the new rules on incidental head high hits where a player chooses to bump instead of going for the footy.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

it'll be fanciful farfelched and fantasy if we end up ninth or lower
... can we tank yet ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Gwilt Edged wrote:
I'm glad you called it a 'marking collision' rather than a marking contest. Reimers didn't have eyes for the ball, did he? Simpkin got up and played on, so the AFL and the mrp won't say boo abou it. Watch the replay.

Reimers was clearly trying to shepherd so Hille could take the mark 'uncontested.'

Reimers didn't have eyes for the ball, did he? It was clumsy, reckless and deserving of weeks according to the new rules on incidental head high hits where a player chooses to bump instead of going for the footy.

Please tell me you are joking. it was an accident. As for Teflon I think the heading of the thread suggests I was commenting after one game. Still say what has been written about Milney is naive as to hard the position is to play and how well he has actually gone year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah good on Milney for proving us doubters wrong...He's lived up to his title as one of the best small forwards of ALL time. Can't believe I'm saying that

Anyhow, as far as Reimers goes - have a look at the replay before you shoot your mouth off pluggs. It sh1ts me to tears when the actual "act" is not reportable these days like it used to be. If Tommy was knocked out or if he got a broken jaw, they'd have no choice but to charge Reimers because he 'chose' not to go for the footy. Simpkin played on and was not seriously injured, so you and every other AFL apologist says it was accidental. How accidental would it be if Tommy ends up with a permanent injury diagnosed in ten years time from all the head high hits??

If the actual injury to your opponent or effect on his ability to continue to play was always taken into account, then Cam Mooney would never have been reported for all his inconsequential brainfades.

If a player "chooses" to bump instead of going for the footy, how is it an accident? When the tv producers and commentators don't highlight the instigators recklessness it's forgotten. If a player like Tom Simpkin gets up plays on and the instigator is worse off than the player he actually headbutted - somehow it's accidental - no charge to answer. Where's the common sense?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Reimers act was all about taking Simpkin out ( who was superb yesterday) I wasn't upset to see Reamer come off.... He knew exactly what he was doing

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

plugger66 wrote:It's a typical trait of most football pundits, hardly surprising to see it manifest on the Internet when we amateurs share our views... No wonder we cant win a flag.
I don't understand how the comments on an internet forum can have any influence on the inner workings of an AFL club.
Whether it be the Bluescum, Tigers or whoever.
Will Kernahan visit "bigfooty.com" or "bluescum_salarycap_cheats.org.au" to see whether they should sack Ratten?
We all hate petrol price rises, but does BP or Shell care? Up go the prices.
And notice that I didn't quote your ENTIRE post. That's just silly. I "cut" the drivel and just use the relevant phrases, with "..." to show I have done some editing of my own.
Not that hard to do.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Yeah good on Milney for proving us doubters wrong...He's lived up to his title as one of the best small forwards of ALL time. Can't believe I'm saying that

Anyhow, as far as Reimers goes - have a look at the replay before you shoot your mouth off pluggs. It sh1ts me to tears when the actual "act" is not reportable these days like it used to be. If Tommy was knocked out or if he got a broken jaw, they'd have no choice but to charge Reimers because he 'chose' not to go for the footy. Simpkin played on and was not seriously injured, so you and every other AFL apologist says it was accidental. How accidental would it be if Tommy ends up with a permanent injury diagnosed in ten years time from all the head high hits??

If the actual injury to your opponent or effect on his ability to continue to play was always taken into account, then Cam Mooney would never have been reported for all his inconsequential brainfades.

If a player "chooses" to bump instead of going for the footy, how is it an accident? When the tv producers and commentators don't highlight the instigators recklessness it's forgotten. If a player like Tom Simpkin gets up plays on and the instigator is worse off than the player he actually headbutted - somehow it's accidental - no charge to answer. Where's the common sense?

I had seen it once on TV but due to you suggesting I had not i thought I would watch it again and again I saw an accident. Reimers was intially going for the mark but pulled out when he saw another Essendon player was going to mark it. It was a complete accident and I cannot beleive anyone could see it any other way.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I had seen it once on TV but due to you suggesting I had not i thought I would watch it again and again I saw an accident. Reimers was intially going for the mark but pulled out when he saw another Essendon player was going to mark it. It was a complete accident and I cannot beleive anyone could see it any other way.
I can...
but agree with you - exactly how I saw it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:Yeah good on Milney for proving us doubters wrong...He's lived up to his title as one of the best small forwards of ALL time. Can't believe I'm saying that

I had seen it once on TV but due to you suggesting I had not i thought I would watch it again and again I saw an accident. Reimers was intially going for the mark but pulled out when he saw another Essendon player was going to mark it. It was a complete accident and I cannot beleive anyone could see it any other way.
When i first saw it i thought he he could have pulled out but went the man , but having watched it a couple of times now , it was accidental !

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Milne would be 50/50 at best to go on in 2013

Gram is a 150 game player, has been on an AFL list for over a decade, so of course he can play

Kosi is inconsistent and has purple patches and poor periods, he is a tall which makes him important and why he stays in the team.

Tanking is different to developing.... Let's win two in a row against real opposition before chest beating