Drop Centrebet sponsorship

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PaulB
Club Player

After dropping a Perth based online gambling service, the Wildcats have now picked up their biggest sponsor ever.

This is a Commonwealth government agency, I wonder if our management has explored or has complacency set in with online gambling?

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/pert ... s_history/

Even better, now more sponsors are coming to the Wildcats now that the distatseful image of online gambling has disappeared. More season ticket holders too!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: Drop Centrebet sponsorship

Youre on this site purely to push your anti-gambling agenda arent you? You never contribute anything else..

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, let's get Phillip Morris back as our major sponsor and then lobby to have a smokers stand at Docklands.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
resaintlee
Club Player

It really is disappointing that we have a betting company as a sponsor.
I have not bought products with the centrebet logo on them.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saint66au wrote:Youre on this site purely to push your anti-gambling agenda arent you? You never contribute anything else..
I hear you S66.

The flip side of the coin (if you'll overlook the terrible pun) could be though that unloading (potentially) anti-social sponsors such as Centrebet could well reap not only a moral, but a financial reward for the club..., as the Wildcats found? Karma...?

If looked at from such a viewpoint, then I'd argue that PaulB has both community and Saint's best interests at heart...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I can see the concern, but I'm not convinced the club (or many other clubs either) are in the position to be too picky when it comes to sponsors.

And to be honest, Centrebet have been a relatively passive sponsor. I cant really recall anything being stuffed down our throats as supporters and members. Not like some of the other gambling companies around with their TV advertising etc.

I'm sure most of us, me included, would prefer to have a squeaky clean, PR boosting super-sponsor, but in the world we live in, where cents are more important than sense, we need to remain viable whichever way we can.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I can see the concern, but I'm not convinced the club (or many other clubs either) are in the position to be too picky when it comes to sponsors.
Exactly, when a better sponsor comes along, then by all means change, until then we should all just nod and smile.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

I will support anyone who supports MY club.

I have opened an account with centre bet this year and closed my others.

Anyone who has a bet on Melbourne cup day, I Strongly urge you to open a centre bet account.

How dare any so called saint supporter tell me not to support our sponsors.

If you don't like our sponsors, then bloody well REPLACE them with YOUR OWN money, or SHUT THE F***k UP

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

10 to 1 they don't.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Big massive difference .. The wildcats are the greatest team in the history of the NBL ( 5 championships 27 consecutive years in the finals) they are idolised by the entire state of WA ( in eras where basketball was struggling the Wildcats were still selling out home games ) the wildcats are also run by an owner who not only demands success but he demands the team be filled with quality people who are role models to the community... We could only dream to have that kind of culture at our club

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintSimmo
Club Player

After all the bad publicity last year I think we were lucky to get a major sponsor at all

Sainter for life.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Be very hard for us to claim the moral high ground and dump Centrebet whilst we are gaining revenue from a more evil form of gambling.

I'm referring to the 90+ pokie machines at Moorabbin.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Another do gooder who probably doeswnt even follow our club. Please go away. I would rather read pies supporters.

jays
Club Player

No don't think so

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Be very hard for us to claim the moral high ground and dump Centrebet whilst we are gaining revenue from a more evil form of gambling.

The very ones that caused the club to move it's base to Seaford

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Youre on this site purely to push your anti-gambling agenda arent you? You never contribute anything else..
Is he the same person who distrupted the AGM?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Be very hard for us to claim the moral high ground and dump Centrebet whilst we are gaining revenue from a more evil form of gambling.

83 in fact, but never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
andrewg
Club Player

If they give us money they are our sponsor until we find another or more sponsors then we can change.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you

Still not sure why we haven't even got Coke on board?? We share the same colours??
Our away jumper could literally be a coke zero symbol as the entire front of the guernsey.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

here are all his posts...all anti gambling......so he can f*** off as far as i'm concerned....

After dropping a Perth based online gambling service, the Wildcats have now picked up their biggest sponsor ever. This is a Commonwealth government agency, I wonder if our management has explored or has complacency set in with online gambling? http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/pert ... ats_sign_l...

by PaulB
Sat 18 Aug 1:22 pm

Forum: Saintsational Fan Forum
Topic: Drop Centrebet sponsorship
Replies: 17
Views: 262

Jump to post

Re: No Pokies
Clearly bloke needs his eyes fixed so he can read the terms and conditions!! http://www.sainters.net/corporate/guernsey.php *Brands which conflict with AFL and St Kilda Football Club’s sponsorship agreements are not permitted to appear on the official Round 22 playing jumper worn by the St Kilda pl...

by PaulB
Sat 11 Aug 11:26 am

Topic: No Pokies
Replies: 15
Views: 327

Jump to post

Re: Saints Fabric Guernsey Promotion
I could not help but notice sponsorships for Blackwoods, Uvex, 3M, Masterlock, ASG and many others Let's drop Centrebet and go for some of the really big names like North Melbourne have. Ozito? Linen House? Mazda is a world wide brand. This would be a terrific sponsorship. It would be great if our ...

by PaulB
Mon 02 Jul 5:30 pm

Topic: Saints Fabric Guernsey Promotion
Replies: 33
Views: 543

Jump to post

In regards to the point about children using online gambling. Before anyone can use one of these online sites, they must register an account. Companies such as Centrebet use online verification methods such as using your credit file, or electoral roll information to verify that the person creating ...

by PaulB
Mon 02 Jul 5:26 pm

Jump to post

Plugger - while you are entitled to your opinion, please read the research and check out the damage that is being done. Surely some short term money is not worth the cost. It is not good enough to lay everything at the foot of concerned parents. These betting services must bear their load and need ...

by PaulB
Mon 02 Jul 10:10 am

Jump to post

Plugger - while you are entitled to your opinion, please read the research and check out the damage that is being done. Surely some short term money is not worth the cost. It is not good enough to lay everything at the foot of concerned parents. These betting services must bear their load and need t...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 3:22 pm

Jump to post

Sports betting is so on the nose that even the government is beginning to limit promotion. It is today's news. "the Government believed the promotion of live odds during sports broadcasts could encourage gambling among vulnerable people, including children" http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 2:20 pm

Jump to post

Actually over 30% of regular poker machine gamblers are already addicts or at risk of becoming addicts. I will explain the concept. Only a small part of our life is spent as a child. There is plenty of time when we can gamble. There is difference between a footy club engaged in parenting and a foot...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 12:36 pm

Jump to post

. As proof look at how the Roos have decreased their debt over the last few years. Having outstanding community citizens works. they also have one of the lowest operations personell wise etc etc- and are being propped up by the AFL haveing needed to sellg ames all around australia and have only in ...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 12:30 pm

Jump to post

Actually over 30% of regular poker machine gamblers are already addicts or at risk of becoming addicts. I will explain the concept. Only a small part of our life is spent as a child. There is plenty of time when we can gamble. There is difference between a footy club engaged in parenting and a footy...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 9:56 am

Jump to post

Cigarettes are legal. But they were banned due to having a negative influence on the health of our population. This is the same evidence about about gambling. In particular, online gambling, that has only emerged in the last two years, is a particularly dangerous form of this adult only entertainmen...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 9:41 am

Jump to post

I think you will find that sponsorships dont come around so easy. If you can find us a milti-million dollar replacement please let us know. Roos seem to have reduced their debt without a sponsor that encourages online betting. Seems like our management can't. Maybe we need to pay for management who...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 9:19 am

Jump to post

This was a great idea spoilt by the Centrebet logo. I would not lend my name let alone pay for a guersey that promotes online gambling to those kids who admire what St Kilda stands for. I was prepared to put my money where my mouth is when the Roos abandoned gambling promotion. I would have preferr...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 9:15 am

Jump to post

I think you will find that sponsorships dont come around so easy. If you can find us a milti-million dollar replacement please let us know. Roos seem to have reduced their debt without a sponsor that encourages online betting. Seems like our management can't. Maybe we need to pay for management who...

by PaulB
Sun 01 Jul 12:01 am

Jump to post

Saints Fabric Guernsey Promotion
This was a great idea spoilt by the Centrebet logo. I would not lend my name let alone pay for a guersey that promotes online gambling to those kids who admire what St Kilda stands for. I was prepared to put my money where my mouth is when the Roos abandoned gambling promotion. I would have preferre...

by PaulB
Sat 30 Jun 2:34 pm

Jump to post

Re: Should our heritage be used to sell online betting?
Only a member of the Saints and only follow the Saints. Had never attended a Saint's AGM but felt strongly about how the Centrebet sponsorship diminishes our club. Attended one Pies' AGM years ago as a member of the media but said nothing. Other than that, have not participated in any other AFL AGM....

by PaulB
Thu 09 Feb 4:38 pm

Topic: Should our heritage be used to sell online betting?
Replies: 31
Views: 418

Jump to post

Geelong have publicly distanced themselves from all other AFL clubs by stating they will support betting limits. http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... inion.html We should at least do that. I concede that it is nothing tangible other than a step in the right direction but i...

by PaulB
Thu 09 Feb 8:06 am

Jump to post

I was invited to debate Frank Costa of the GFC on 774 a few years ago. While I don't remember his exact words, Mr Costa stated how much he deplored pokie gambling and that he was aware of the damage it caused the addicted and their families. Clearly, his club has acted on these principles.

by PaulB
Thu 09 Feb 6:44 am

Jump to post

Enrico - you simply got your facts wrong. Research shows that when pokies are taken away, problem gambling simply drops. But that's not the real point. There are countless sponsors that are good corporate citizens and they are in the vast majority. The glass is more than half full. Let's not take th...

by PaulB
Wed 08 Feb 10:21 pm

Jump to post

Should our heritage be used to sell online betting?
I say that 'St Kilda' and "The Saints" should stand for something better. We sell ourselves too cheaply. It shouldn't happen again no matter what Mr Westaway says of other's bad behaviour.

by PaulB
Wed 08 Feb 9:09 pm

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PaulB
Club Player

"We haven't connected with anywhere near enough supporters. There are a lot of people out there that barrack for St Kilda who aren't on board yet.
"I want them involved. I want them to come and face the challenges with us."

These are our coaches statements.

Our principal sponsor is one of the reasons for the lack of connection. Who wants their child even remotely connected with the promotion of online gambling?

A sincere desire to make our club better should not be demeaned. The purpose of the post is to point out that there is another way. There are good sponsors out there, if we get the whole club right.

PaulB
Club Player

You should list all the posts there have been to sack Kosi. (laughter)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

PaulB wrote:"Our principal sponsor is one of the reasons for the lack of connection. Who wants their child even remotely connected with the promotion of online gambling?
logical fallacy, straw man argument. Whatever you want to call it, please show the factual evidence to back up this statement.
PaulB wrote:A sincere desire to make our club better should not be demeaned. The purpose of the post is to point out that there is another way. There are good sponsors out there, if we get the whole club right.
Centrebet is a good sponsor. Gambling is legal in this country and so is gambling advertising.

As far as I am concerned, gambling is a stupidity tax.

So after you run gambling out of town, whats next? Alcohol? After all there are plenty of Aclcoholics out there.

Whats after that? Sex? SEN have Sexyland ads on their radio station. There are some deviants in our society who are sex addicts. We ban those ads as well?

Just piss off, take your campaign somewhere else you hypocrite.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Is he the same person who distrupted the AGM?
Correct...badgering Ian McLeod about Coles' links to poker machines trying to tenuously link it to St Kilda to avoid him being told to sit down and shush..which happened anyway lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

PaulB wrote:You should list all the posts there have been to sack Kosi. (laughter)

10 to one on you aren't even a Saints fan. But some crazy zealot

Who will bet with me.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Bernard Shakey wrote:

83 in fact, but never let facts get in the way of a good story.
I definately should research better Bernard, but 10 machines don't change the point of the post.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.