Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his value

Footy show said they are taking him to the market to decide his value but both parties are keen to stay together. We may be locked into overs or lose him if that's the case.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his va

Its odd isnt it?

Its a bit like saying to your gf........."look I love you...........but lets have a bit of a shag around and see if we still love each other after that..."

Surely goneor the clubs hoping he gets a super cheap offer they can match and then say "see Brendon we told you 450 was bout right....."

“Yeah….nah””
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The club must be stupid IMO. Clubs like Freo and Melbourne will offer massive overs.

SS Life Member

Thing is that Brendan has to accept any offer put to him by any club, still can't see him going to Freo or Melb can't see how Carlton would be able to pay overs for him.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Its odd isnt it?

Its a bit like saying to your gf........."look I love you...........but lets have a bit of a shag around and see if we still love each other after that..."

Surely goneor the clubs hoping he gets a super cheap offer they can match and then say "see Brendon we told you 450 was bout right....."

yeah that's my feeling 4 years at $800 000 pa or what ever his manager wants is a bit more than his current place in the game is at. Probably a little bit of an out for not signing him on huge money but if we can match $450 000 pa might come out ahead.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:The club must be stupid IMO. Clubs like Freo and Melbourne will offer massive overs.
didn't Barrett also say the Club only has to match the unders- not the above the cap section..of any offer.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

what this does say is surely, IF the club is prepared to go this route then it acknowledges we arent not challenging any time soon.

We could easily back end a deal to keep Goddard -Im sure theyve decided his worth is not what a Melbourne will come at.

Could we trade with Carlton.........picks and ruck?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The other way to look at this is that Breretons whisper (other thread) bout Goddard receiving offer to good to refuse is true and the club simply acknowledges that the only way this plays out is via free agency.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbob
SS Life Member

They also said that even if the Saints match the offer, the final decision is BJ's.
So it may very well be goodbye BJ come the Carlton game, probably along with Kosi and Blake.

Some big holes to cover!!!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I would like BJ to stay at the club !

But I don't believe he's worth more than 600 K !
Over the last two years i would rate him a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 player !
after 2010 , I believed he was ready to become a 8-9 out of 10 . one of the top 20 players in the comp , but he never scaled those heights and at his age he may be unlikely too . So if he goes somewhere else for more coin , then good luck to him . I think the club would be stupid to pay too much for him and I certainly won't blame the club if he leaves . It just the nature of modern professional sport . players who have got big ego's , gotta git paid ! and bj fits into this category .
however Very few players that have gone to other clubs for big dollars and had premiership success .

In red white and black from 73
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:They also said that even if the Saints match the offer, the final decision is BJ's.
So it may very well be goodbye BJ come the Carlton game, probably along with Kosi and Blake.

I truly think Kosi/Blake can be covered immediately.

Goddard.....no but still wouldnt pay overs to keep him.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Typical for our club to be the first to lose a big name player as soon as the new free agency rule is introduced.

The team of players to have left the saints is a better all time 18 than any other clubs 'best ever'.

I'll be shattered if he goes. Only Lockett is a more devastating loss in my time.

asaint
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Typical for our club to be the first to lose a big name player as soon as the new free agency rule is introduced.

The team of players to have left the saints is a better all time 18 than any other clubs 'best ever'.

I'll be shattered if he goes. Only Lockett is a more devastating loss in my time.

And Luke Ball....turned my stomach seeing how chummy he and Dal were. How the hell did we ever let him walk?
Pls don't go BJ , I can't take another disappointment. A bird in the hand...

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:They also said that even if the Saints match the offer, the final decision is BJ's.

We may not see kosi or blake as watters has shown this year that when he brings young players in , he gives them three games to find there feet .
We may play the same team against carlton , don't forget if carlton beat us , they'll likely take freo's place in the eight . I sure no one at the club would be to disappointed ending lyon's season early ! plus it gives the kids a game against a good side !

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I seriously don't understand this.

Read elsewhere that BJ was frustrated when Pelchen went a bit public with the inner workings when he has done the right thing keeping everything in house?

I think this is silly, still can't understand why the club didn't put in an offer.

saintbob
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:

We may not see kosi or blake as watters has shown this year that when he brings young players in , he gives them three games to find there feet .
We may play the same team against carlton , don't forget if carlton beat us , they'll likely take freo's place in the eight . I sure no one at the club would be to disappointed ending lyon's season early ! plus it gives the kids a game against a good side !
Totally disagree, both have been tremendous servants of our footy club and it's something I don't think will be lost on Watters!!!!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think this is silly, still can't understand why the club didn't put in an offer.
if the club put in an offer then bj's manager would have taken it to every other club and found someone to beat it by a hundred k, and at that point he's gone.

this way, everyone else makes their offers first and then we can sit down with bj and ask him what it will take to keep him, given that he knows his market value. we don't have to be bid up by every other club in the afl and bj can still stay if he wants to.

i think it's a smart strategy and will get the right result - if he stays, we won't be paying too much; if he goes, he goes.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think this is silly, still can't understand why the club didn't put in an offer.
if the club put in an offer then bj's manager would have taken it to every other club and found someone to beat it by a hundred k, and at that point he's gone.

this way, everyone else makes their offers first and then we can sit down with bj and ask him what it will take to keep him, given that he knows his market value. we don't have to be bid up by every other club in the afl and bj can still stay if he wants to.

i think it's a smart strategy and will get the right result - if he stays, we won't be paying too much; if he goes, he goes.
People are already prepared to beat it by an awful lot though, if you believe what's reported.

Just inviting more people to the party now.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:People are already prepared to beat it by an awful lot though, if you believe what's reported.
so how could we have kept him anyway? without paying well over the odds.

we shouldn't pay him more than about 600k. on top of that there's about 150k for playing with his mates - so if someone else is willing to pay 750k or more then we were never in with a show. at least this way it's all out in the open and we don't look like saps for "losing" him. instead, he looks mercenary for chasing the cash.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
People are already prepared to beat it by an awful lot though, if you believe what's reported.

Just inviting more people to the party now
I think you are living in a fantasy world. The party is always finite as it has to be an AFL Club. Party will be small as many clubs would not have the salary cap room to bid high.

BJ will have had the same number of suitors regardless of whether or not the club had made any formal offer or not yet.

Other clubs can pay more...so the nub of the issue always has been whether or not BJ was willing to stay a Saint for less than market rates, and part of that would be just how high that market rate is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintersss
Club Player

Just for the record, the compensation we will receive if Goddard goes to any club other than GWS via free agency will be either a first round pick or (worst case scenario) an end of first round pick. But, it will have to be used this year, you can not bank these picks like the picks received from GWS or Gold Coast. So this means we will probably get around Pick 10-13.

If what Barrett reported is true, there is no chance Goddard will stay. Plenty of teams (Freo and Melbourne most likely) have enough cap space and are stupid enough to overpay him at 750k +.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

My gut feel and it's just a gut feel is the offer is from Freo but BJ has no interest in coming west ... I think he wants to see if he can get a similar offer from a Vic club if not he would prefer to stay with us ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The club is finally getting smart. For all those that can't understand it this try to think of it this way. It could go two ways, he stays and we pay overs and he returns to his glory days of performance but it ends up like being Garry Abblet and the Goldcoast, i.e. the best player in a bottom 4 side, however at least Garry has some other upside in that he is equiped to help develop younger players and also bring people through the turnstiles in a non AFL region.

The other way is that we pay overs and he remains the same GOP player of the past two years in a bottom 4 side and we start looking like the Saints of circa 80s because all of the salary cap is going towards the messiah coterie.

I can't wait till this is decided one way or the other but I will be furious if they pay him more than high 3s

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It sounds like BJ is gone. Our hope is still that he goes to GWS but that doesnt look likely. I am unsure of the rules but if he decides he is a free agent but does he has the ability to say no to the clubs bidding and then let our club organise a trade. I would think so but not 100% sure. That would probably be the second best option and then the last option is he goes free agency and we may get a first rounder. We may not though so it is a risk.

If he stays the club will be paying at least 500k probably up to 600k. Seems over the odds to me especially if it the higher figure. I am happy to keep him but then we probably have no hope of participating in free agency for next season. And we will probably still have to get rid of a pretty good player to stay under the salry cap.

I honestly think the club are happy to lose him so that we can go out and try to plug key position holes which are probably more important than an outside mid person.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling in this instance and by the behaviours and actions on display that Goddard is being honest and the club dishonest in that:
Goddard wants to stay
The club wants a trade

#1 Ryder fan