Cripps + Newnes = guns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cripps + Newnes = guns

So for some weird reason Cripps copped a lot criticism on SS earlier this year. But the guy is only just 20 and today playing against guys his own age - it is pretty obvious he is a very good player.
Newnes also showing what he can do against his peers. Pretty positive I think.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cripps + Newnes = guns

Newnes being taught a lesson by Toby Greene. Cripps had a very good first half.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Cripps has brought a new level of intensity and confidence with him since returning to the seniors. His offensive running can be quite a weapon if he can sustain it for an entire game. Very nice goal from Newnes but he was smashed by Greene. Another pre season will do good for both of them.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I didn't think Newnes was too special this afternoon... been okay earlier this year, but there's still a lot of younger guys ahead of him including Dunell I reckon.
Cripps was great today though, and pretty much every game he's played he's contributed. Really happy about his chances.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Newnes being taught a lesson by Toby Greene.
How to accumulate worthless ball for a garbage side. Class previously taught by Patrick Bowden.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

They both did good things, as did Seb, Ledger, Saad, Terry and Sipp. All very promising for the future

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Toby Greene has beaten more experienced taggers this year.

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

St Ick wrote:They both did good things, as did Seb, Ledger, Saad, Terry and Sipp. All very promising for the future
That is the best thing to come out of today

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Cripps certainly knows where the goals are, not too many games where his name doesn't appear amongst the goal kickers. Will be a more than handy forward over the coming years. Really love the poise that Sipposs and Newnes display, usually seem to have time and are definitely mature beyond their years. I don't think we're going to bottom out at all, I really like what I see coming through! Go Saints....

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I was very impressed with the confidence they seemed to have !
however They looked average in the second half once the old dog was benched .
I want to see how they go next week against a seasoned mid-field .

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:I was very impressed with the confidence they seemed to have !
however They looked average in the second half once the old dog was benched .
I want to see how they go next week against a seasoned mid-field .

the one that lost to the gold coast today????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Reading a lot into it I know but I noticed this yesterday. At half time Farren said yesterdays game was a dress rehearsal for next year or words to the effect. With that in mind was it strange that Sippa was playing in BJs role across half back? Mind you Sippa played the role well, he is going to have a big body like Darling IMO. I really dont want to lose BJ but body language was strange yesterday, granted when 100 points up you dont pump your fist when you kick one...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con were you drinking when you posted?

Surely Cripps and Newnes have to have some good games against quality oppo before we elevate them to "Gun" status.

Newnes has shown a little potential in the few games he's been given and Cripps needs to secure his spot in the side early next year and put in some solid performances against good oppo, I do admit he looks flash when he's in wides space in front of goals but I also can look like that when I've got a footy in my hands, Shane Warne anyone?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Guns. Seriously we played a side that would struggle against a VFL side. Maybe if you said Siposs. They could and I think will be players but you are known for the early call Con.

Chef attack
Club Player

Very handy

trojansaint
Club Player

Really see a lot of potential in both of these guys. In terms of comparisons to current players (however premature) I can really see Cripps developing into a Montagna type; swift on the outside and a keen eye for the goal. Just needs to maintain that confidence that he seemed to have yesterday against a more mature opposition.

I'd really love to see Newnes become one of those heart and soul saints like your Hayes/Dal player, with good skills and bravery. Watching the game yesterday he seems to know where to be to find the ball, has a go at anything that comes near him. He was game high for tackles and seems really mature for a player as young as he is. Read an interesting article in which they stated that he was on GWS's radar early in the piece as a 17y/o which shows that the late(ish) draft pick may mean nothing at all.

I hope that they both, along with Sippa who is also going to be something special in my opinion, get a game next week. Screw this talk of tanking. Finishing 9th/10th may mean very little in terms of the player that we receive, and I feel that it's far more important to show some faith and get some games into our future playing stock. We've all been very lucky to see a successful side playing over the past 10 years, and I for one am excited about our next batch of players.

Chef attack
Club Player

If they can be half the players Lenny and dal are we'll be right

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cripps has something special in his pace and goal smarts and Newnes is your composed dal santo type. both should be very good, Siposs is already getting very close. Stanley is ass raw as sushi but gee he looks at times like something special. Toby Green is an amazing accumulator but about 2 thirds were rubbish one twos and messy disposals. Still should be a gun longer term though.

Saintersss
Club Player

Yesterday was the first game I saw Newnes play in the AFL where he actually attacked the game, which was good to see. In his games prior he has seemed very tentative in going forward and preferred to just handball off or kick backwards, which is surprising, because watching yesterday's game showed he is actually a very good kick. I guess he will develop this in time as he gains more confidence and belief.

stkfc1
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Reading a lot into it I know but I noticed this yesterday. At half time Farren said yesterdays game was a dress rehearsal for next year or words to the effect. With that in mind was it strange that Sippa was playing in BJs role across half back? Mind you Sippa played the role well, he is going to have a big body like Darling IMO. I really dont want to lose BJ but body language was strange yesterday, granted when 100 points up you dont pump your fist when you kick one...
Thought Sipposs looked very comfortable playing the role. He's a good decision maker and has got the kick to back it up. Good move from SW and hopefully this solves a problem if BJ does leave.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One thing in Cripps favour is that he knows how to snag goals on the run...something that over the years we have not been blessed with. It was one reason why Aussie Jones was such great valuw.

early days i know but I can see Cripps blooming in that attacking HB that we sorely lack at present.

He does however need to become a more rounded player, and keep in the game more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:early days i know but I can see Cripps blooming in that attacking HB that we sorely lack at present.
100m player between the arcs. Jetta style.

Scotty seems to favour two-way types in defence both here and at the pies. He doesn't use a lot of shorter players and Cripps is tiny. The shortest back six players at Collingwood were 187cm types and about the same here. Running defenders seem a touch out of vogue at the moment around the league.

Newnes struggled a bit in the centre, but they clearly want his class on the ball in the long term.

Siposs sent a message yesterday. Even if we lose one sublimely skilled ~190cm utility, we've got another on the horizon. 19 years old with poise and class well beyone his years. I can't believe we got him at 75. Didn't Lyon and Peake argue over that pick at the draft? Who won?

Clever selections >>> top ten picks. Bottoming out is for losers.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cripps did very well .. In fact all the kids showed a little bit but I think cripsy was prob the stand out of the kids ... As for Greene the commentators obviously love the bloke but honestly more than half his possessions were followed by a poor disposal to a teamate who was not the best option ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:early days i know but I can see Cripps blooming in that attacking HB that we sorely lack at present.
100m player between the arcs. Jetta style.

Scotty seems to favour two-way types in defence both here and at the pies. He doesn't use a lot of shorter players and Cripps is tiny. The shortest back six players at Collingwood were 187cm types and about the same here. Running defenders seem a touch out of vogue at the moment around the league.

Newnes struggled a bit in the centre, but they clearly want his class on the ball in the long term.

Siposs sent a message yesterday. Even if we lose one sublimely skilled ~190cm utility, we've got another on the horizon. 19 years old with poise and class well beyone his years. I can't believe we got him at 75. Didn't Lyon and Peake argue over that pick at the draft? Who won?

Clever selections >>> top ten picks. Bottoming out is for losers.
Yes I think it was very clear that Siposs was being tried in the BJ backfielder role in the GWS game, and posted that in a couple of post-game threads...and for those that have watched the Sandy games he has also been used in that role their too. If BJ stays will be interesting to see who plays forward more often.

Good kicks out of defence is vital today....and in way too many games poor kicking out of defence kills you. In the recent Pies defeat (draw) that aspect alone was the difference between winning and losing.

However you can also run the ball out, as well as kick it out...and sometimes when the zone is in full force running can open up more gaps that kicking can.

Cripps pace is a weapon..and both he and Milera are competing to be line breakers in our 2013. Jack is already there, but needs to steady more when he kicks.
we need such players even if not technically at HB to be there to handball, or short-kick to.

With Siposs it will be interesting seeing how his body develops over the next few seasons. He could well morph into a true key position player if he can build up his core strength...or he may instead take the BJ. However I remember I think it was after the South Africa camp that BJ came back built like a gorilla and was the worse for it.

On clever selections....yes I too have believed that this is the way to go for some time and that the drafting of kids alone is overated and overhyped. However it was most refreshing for a change to see in Siposs a clever late selection that had great footskills, rather than it being his Achilles Heel.

Our last two years have had a lot to like with the picks taken., even if one scratches one's head about the lack of a FB and ruck depth.

It may well be however that Pelchen's plan is to restructure the club over several seasons rather than do it all in one draft period. Fortunately for Pelchen I think the strategy in place the year before he arrived was very much in keeping with what he would have deployed.

If Pelchen can rustle up a mature FB for 2013, then I am for one quietly excited about our prospects for 2013.

I am desperately hoping that Big Ben can bloom his actual ruckwork though, for despite his many talents and smarts that aspect of his game remains a concern.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintersss
Club Player

Haven't really been impressed with Cripps, however he did have a good game. Probably his best game in Saints colours, although he was only against GWS in a 100+ belting. He still has a long way to go. He really needs to work on his disposal and composure.