Why we are hated ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Why we are hated ....

Now you are all gonna hate me for posting this and rave about the webpage - source - etc - bla bla
However, I found it interesting as I have never understood why we are hated and not loved for being the underdogs .. there is some unpalatable truth here:
http://www.nickmaxwell.com.au/2011/07/2 ... -the-love/
(Oh and some bulls*** as well)
Comments and abuse (shoot the messenger) welcome ...

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
midas_touch
Club Player

Re: Why we are hated ....

Culture.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

This was posted the other day by someone else.

They walk amongst us...

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Oh - sorry I missed it

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
mcadam05
Club Player

mcadam05
Club Player

Can I ask you how you came across that web site???

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SOME bulls*** !!!!

You could write this type of article , using specific points of reference about any club !

Up until the last fifty , the vfl was like most minor league's , if your club doesn't have money to buy good players , you finish down the bottom !
This lack of money doesn't mean the fans carn't enjoy themselves , afterall thats why we got to the footy !

My local side mordi has been going since 1891 and only won the flag a few times in various leagues including the vfa , Why ? Money of course !

These type of articles are written with the attitude " I'm not the type of person who picks on people , so i'll show you by picking on people !"

Maybe nick should write one on the tiges afterall , Fitzroy has played in more finals than them in the last thirty years and they've been defunct for fifteen .

In red white and black from 73
St Lenny
Club Player

I have always wondered why we are seen as a bunch of losers when we have been quite successful in recent times (apart from not winning the big one). No one ever seems to go on about, Dogs, Tigers or Melb who surely are worse than us.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I have always wondered why we are seen as a bunch of losers when we have been quite successful in recent times (apart from not winning the big one). No one ever seems to go on about, Dogs, Tigers or Melb who surely are worse than us.
No need to hate teams that aren't a threat.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What a load of crap!

Why then, after being a life long footy tragic following Fitzroy almost religiously, did I choose the saints once my proud club folded (taken over, merged :roll: ) to follow? So did my younger brother. I always thought the saints were a rough and tumble lot when I followed the Roys. I loved their flair, their supporters passion, the excitement of their players, ie Lockett, Harvey, Winmar etc.

Which true football supporter has a soft spot for any other team? I don't. The article is a load of rubbish

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

mcadam05 wrote:Can I ask you how you came across that web site???
Hi - well actually I was trawling the net because I was sitting there thinking sadly we are about to lose Goddard - another great and I thought - sheeit - how many have we lost?
So I think I searched St Kilda players who have left - or something similar - and it came up.
I was initially amazed he was writing about us - I was thinking - what would he know?
It seems he has read the point of it all - or some other Saints history.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I disagree, we used to be a lot of peoples second team, until this period where we were up there challenging.

Just watch everyone jump off the Tiges if they challenge.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I have to say that when we played Collingwood - the rest of Melbourne wanted us to win - so there is no competition there ...
I am just amazed that they bother to hate us at all after 2010.

busso mick
Club Player

Nick Maxwell - the Mike Brearley of the AFL.

mcadam05
Club Player

Again the point I made in the other post was not about what was written but the fact that a current player a Captain no less would post it on there web site

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is it really posted by Nick Maxwell?

I assumed it was someone using his name. That's very strange if that's the case. He's entitled to an opinion, but I'm not sure I'd be too rapt if Roo was writing articles about other clubs discussing their perceived poor culture etc

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Is it really posted by Nick Maxwell?

I assumed it was someone using his name. That's very strange if that's the case. He's entitled to an opinion, but I'm not sure I'd be too rapt if Roo was writing articles about other clubs discussing their perceived poor culture etc
No it's not…
He has a blog site where he publishes the opinions of anybody and everybody… completely unrelated to his opinion.
I'm not going to trawl through it, but I bet there are all sorts of opinion pieces in there.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I really enjoyed reading that article!

As several other posters have pointed out, re many of the points raised, the equivalent could be said about the other boring clubs that sprouted up like weeds at the local council tip.

But glorious St Kilda has a point of difference. We were created from the vibe of bohemian beachside St Kilda.

What other club has a history of turning up late for it's first game, the players deciding to go to the races instead of the footy...? Love it!

No other club has had the artists, bohemians, fat surfers, Saints Disco or Animal Enclosure...

It's called passion, it's called character, it's called unconventional, it's called unique, it's called exciting. It's never called boring.

I love it!

Supporters of the other clubs (=mundane) can't possibly understand these concepts. But deep down somewhere in their collective subconcious, though they can't articulate it, they know that we have what their boring unremarkable clubs can never have... that's why they hate us. :twisted:

I love it! No other club for me! 8-) 8-) 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

What a load of crap. But it is coming from the absolute worst player to be made captain in the history of the game. A sheepdog that drifts across half back picking up cheap posses and occasionally whacking blokes when hey are not looking. A s*** stain he is, so what he says is really of little merit

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I really enjoyed reading that article!

As several other posters have pointed out, re many of the points raised, the equivalent could be said about the other boring clubs that sprouted up like weeds at the local council tip.

But glorious St Kilda has a point of difference. We were created from the vibe of bohemian beachside St Kilda.

What other club has a history of turning up late for it's first game, the players deciding to go to the races instead of the footy...? Love it!

No other club has had the artists, bohemians, fat surfers, Saints Disco or Animal Enclosure...

It's called passion, it's called character, it's called unconventional, it's called unique, it's called exciting. It's never called boring.

I love it!

Supporters of the other clubs (=mundane) can't possibly understand these concepts. But deep down somewhere in their collective subconcious, though they can't articulate it, they know that we have what their boring unremarkable clubs can never have... that's why they hate us. :twisted:

I love it! No other club for me! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Heh heh - well put Dave. When you articulate it like that, I can see now why I chose to follow the saints when my previous club folded. I always loved their point of difference to other teams. I always loved the passion of the supporters. I always hated but admired the way saints supporters would turn up at Moorabbin and scream the grandstand down if an umpire dared make a call against their team, the way they'd stamp and holler when plugger was up and about. Even in the 80's the supporters would still turn up in good numbers, and I used to be envious that the club I followed still couldn't attract a crowd despite being reasonably successful in that period. They always had characters like Sidebottom, or Ditterich (sic) or Muir, or Joffa or Plugger or Hall or Everitt or Sarau

It makes me laugh when ppl say they hate the pies so much - because from a distance I viewed both clubs fairly similarly in terms of supporters. To me the saints have always been a true under dog, and even when following the Roys I enjoyed their mini rennaisance in the early 90's lead by plugger, Harves, Winmar, Loewe and Burke. I guess lately, at Etihad, I sometimes get frustrated with our supporters. Where's all that passion, that fire gone? Has it all been lost in the souless concrete grandstands? I dislike Carlton and Essendon more than any other club, because of their supporters - yet they HOLLER when their team gets on a roll. We seem to 'nearly get excited ' most of the time.

Skildir
Club Player

The writer of that piece is a Richmond supporter. Ask a Tigers fan how much they like being everyone's second favourite club and I bet everyone of them would say they'd rather be hated cause being hated means you're winning.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

I always assumed we were more PITIED than hated...

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:I always assumed we were more PITIED than hated...
Yeah this. I also thought when we started qualifying for grand finals it became a case of pity for us but at the same time not wanting us to change our ways.

I can sort of understand that. I'd almost rather see an interstate club win a flag rather than the doggies. I don't hate the doggies or anything but I just don't want them to overtake us.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I disagree, we used to be a lot of peoples second team, until this period where we were up there challenging.

Just watch everyone jump off the Tiges if they challenge.
I tend to agree with this.

Tall poppy syndrome seems to be always prominant within Australian culture.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

don;t reckon it's tall poppy syndrome.
More like disdain at our ability to stuff up in ever increasing bizarre ways.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!