Rooey's pay cut

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Rooey's pay cut

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ni ... 6476072929
ST KILDA'S Nick Riewoldt will take a $500,000 pay cut to play next season.

The superstar forward earned more than $1 million this year, but will forgo half that under a deal framed three years ago.

In May 2009, the Saints and Riewoldt (right) signed a four-year agreement in which Riewoldt agreed to a flat $500,000 in the final year of his contract.

The staggering pay cut has emerged as one of the key reasons the Saints have averted a salary cap crisis.
Wow!!

Looks like at one swoop we will re-titrate our salary structure back to how it needs to be going forward.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rooey's pay cut

it's not a pay cut, just s*** reporting

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Lenny
Club Player

Pretty sure its called list management. St Kilda would obviously know that BJ's contract was coming up and the salary cap issues. Having said that, Roo didn't have to agree to it and he did, unlike another well known ex St Kilda player. Take note BJ.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Nick You star!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

But isn't Nick simply getting payed what he's worth?

Its just the machinations of an evolving list.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
linmarnic
Club Player

Thinline wrote:But isn't Nick simply getting payed what he's worth?

Its just the machinations of an evolving list.
It is difficult to know what he will be worth next year but he sure could have bled the club if he wanted to three years ago when this contract was being negotiated and GC was after him as their marquee player. He was more than fair in my opinion and accepted less money than what he could have got elsewhere. It is easy to forget just how good he was back then and could easily have been the highest paid player in the AFL if he chased the dollars. To be getting $500k in his final year means he had certainly put the club ahead of himself when you look at what he could have got on this contract in its entirety IMO.

Never give up
Terrance80
Club Player

Rooey has been a champion of the club but like many posts on here I don't think he has taken a big pay cut it is simply part of the deal he signed. If he was earning 1 million last year it is prob fair to say he was earning close to that in his first two years of contract. So over the 4 years he has earnt close to 3.5mil , that's close to 850k a year if you average it out... I know Roo has been a premier player in the comp but in my opinion this is why the club has found salary cap trouble. Is he twice as good as the next best player on the list? Pretty sure Fisher,Hayes these sort of guys weren't on anything close to that ...and the rest of the list must have been on peanuts... Not sure this sort of thing would have happened at Geelong ... I love Roo and well done to his manager but it's a team game and maybe Ball, Dawson may not have been squeezed out if the club managed the list and it's player payments better. It'd be a brave man to say to riewoldt that no we only think we can pay you 650/700k a year instead of 850k but by using the Geelong model it may have allowed a more fair payment scale to players and ultimately may have kept more of the list together..

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Terrance80 wrote:but by using the Geelong model it may have allowed a more fair payment scale to players and ultimately may have kept more of the list together..
I keep hearing about the 'Geelong model' of list managament but nobody ever mentions that they too lost players to other Clubs.
Ablett, Mumford just to name a couple.
Both of those players left for better pay.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Terrance80 wrote:but by using the Geelong model it may have allowed a more fair payment scale to players and ultimately may have kept more of the list together..
I keep hearing about the 'Geelong model' of list managament but nobody ever mentions that they too lost players to other Clubs.
Ablett, Mumford just to name a couple.
Both of those players left for better pay.
I think Mumford also left for better opportunities while Ablett, with two Premership medallions already in his trophy case, left for "ridiculous" money.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Terrance80 wrote:Rooey has been a champion of the club but like many posts on here I don't think he has taken a big pay cut it is simply part of the deal he signed. If he was earning 1 million last year it is prob fair to say he was earning close to that in his first two years of contract. So over the 4 years he has earnt close to 3.5mil , that's close to 850k a year if you average it out... I know Roo has been a premier player in the comp but in my opinion this is why the club has found salary cap trouble. Is he twice as good as the next best player on the list? Pretty sure Fisher,Hayes these sort of guys weren't on anything close to that ...and the rest of the list must have been on peanuts... Not sure this sort of thing would have happened at Geelong ... I love Roo and well done to his manager but it's a team game and maybe Ball, Dawson may not have been squeezed out if the club managed the list and it's player payments better. It'd be a brave man to say to riewoldt that no we only think we can pay you 650/700k a year instead of 850k but by using the Geelong model it may have allowed a more fair payment scale to players and ultimately may have kept more of the list together..

I reckon this is about the most accurate post I have read all year. I love Roo, but we simply can't afford to pay anyone the sort of money he was getting. I certainly didn't want to see him leave the club, but lets not get too carried away about his loyalty. Very easy to be loyal when you're captain and being paid about 30% more than any other player at your club. He's certainly not disloyal either, but I just wonder if these guys who are gutted and 'psychologically scarred' after GF losses ever stop to think that maybe if they played for 100k less a year, it might mean the club can find that one extra quality player that may have got us over the line. When you think that players like Bartel, Chapman, Enright, Corey, Kelly, etc all play for reputedly under $500k it just makes you wonder sometimes.

Terrance80
Club Player

I don't think anyone would hold it against Roo or Bj or anyone for leaving for bucket loads of cash if we had already won 2 flags... I just don't think you can pay 1 player ridiculous amounts in a team that is competing for a flag(top4) . It means that somewhere in the team that players are being undervalued...From how it sounds Roo was on big coin... A group of 6 players were prob on good decent money(hayes,fisher,montagna,dal santo etc) and the rest were fighting over the scraps....if you look at the best teams ...Geelong, Hawthorn... Word out of Geelong was that guys like enright , chapman were on like 400k and they accepted that because they knew by accepting a bit less meant that they could keep their starting 22 together and have a chance in playing in premierships. Hawthorn are an interesting one.. Some of the best players in the league.. Franklin, Hodge, Rioli, Mitchell... But they also have great mid tier players like shiels, young , guerra, smith... I wonder how they were also able to recruit Gibson and Burgoyne? My theory is that they too have top end players that have accepted unders to keep the team together because they think it's the best way to win a flag... Would hodge and Franklin be worth a million each to a team? My answer is yes... But pretty sure hawks aren't paying them anywhere near that....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Terrance80 wrote:Rooey has been a champion of the club but like many posts on here I don't think he has taken a big pay cut it is simply part of the deal he signed. If he was earning 1 million last year it is prob fair to say he was earning close to that in his first two years of contract. So over the 4 years he has earnt close to 3.5mil , that's close to 850k a year if you average it out... I know Roo has been a premier player in the comp but in my opinion this is why the club has found salary cap trouble. Is he twice as good as the next best player on the list? Pretty sure Fisher,Hayes these sort of guys weren't on anything close to that ...and the rest of the list must have been on peanuts... Not sure this sort of thing would have happened at Geelong ... I love Roo and well done to his manager but it's a team game and maybe Ball, Dawson may not have been squeezed out if the club managed the list and it's player payments better. It'd be a brave man to say to riewoldt that no we only think we can pay you 650/700k a year instead of 850k but by using the Geelong model it may have allowed a more fair payment scale to players and ultimately may have kept more of the list together..

I reckon this is about the most accurate post I have read all year. I love Roo, but we simply can't afford to pay anyone the sort of money he was getting. I certainly didn't want to see him leave the club, but lets not get too carried away about his loyalty. Very easy to be loyal when you're captain and being paid about 30% more than any other player at your club. He's certainly not disloyal either, but I just wonder if these guys who are gutted and 'psychologically scarred' after GF losses ever stop to think that maybe if they played for 100k less a year, it might mean the club can find that one extra quality player that may have got us over the line. When you think that players like Bartel, Chapman, Enright, Corey, Kelly, etc all play for reputedly under $500k it just makes you wonder sometimes.
And yet, if the rumours are true, they seem to be abandoning this 'principle' and throwing money at Goddard?
How must Bartel, Chapman, Enright, Corey Kelly stc feel when they read reports like this?
They've apparently received less money, having 'bought in' to the mindset re contracts at Geelong, and yet the Club is using that money they've forgone to try and 'buy' a player from another club?

jays
Club Player

great to free up some room imo

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Terrance80 wrote:I don't think anyone would hold it against Roo or Bj or anyone for leaving for bucket loads of cash if we had already won 2 flags... I just don't think you can pay 1 player ridiculous amounts in a team that is competing for a flag(top4) . It means that somewhere in the team that players are being undervalued...From how it sounds Roo was on big coin... A group of 6 players were prob on good decent money(hayes,fisher,montagna,dal santo etc) and the rest were fighting over the scraps....if you look at the best teams ...Geelong, Hawthorn... Word out of Geelong was that guys like enright , chapman were on like 400k and they accepted that because they knew by accepting a bit less meant that they could keep their starting 22 together and have a chance in playing in premierships. Hawthorn are an interesting one.. Some of the best players in the league.. Franklin, Hodge, Rioli, Mitchell... But they also have great mid tier players like shiels, young , guerra, smith... I wonder how they were also able to recruit Gibson and Burgoyne? My theory is that they too have top end players that have accepted unders to keep the team together because they think it's the best way to win a flag... Would hodge and Franklin be worth a million each to a team? My answer is yes... But pretty sure hawks aren't paying them anywhere near that....

Yep exactly - and from what I hear, you'd be staggered at what some players who I rate very highly get paid at the hawks. Buddy and hodge over the 500k mark, Mitchell recently just come back under that mark, and the rest of their quality players getting b/w 350-450k.

For all the talk about how close knit our team is, I sometimes wonder. Actions speak louder than words.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teams with big memberships/corporate support are able to find creative ways of staing under salary cap.
Imagine saying to Goddard:
you can have $350 pa for next 4 years BUT
supporter X will sell you a pub/mansion/farm etc valued @$2 mill for $200K
Club stays under salary cap and player saves a shitload of tax as he is only liable forcapital gains when he gets rid of said asset.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Teams with big memberships/corporate support are able to find creative ways of staing under salary cap.
Club stays under salary cap and player saves a shitload of tax as he is only liable forcapital gains when he gets rid of said asset.
The AFL can get tax returns audited to check for dodgy payments nowadays though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Teams with big memberships/corporate support are able to find creative ways of staing under salary cap.

Any club could do that even North. No club would do that though. Some players are just happy with 500k. I know it must be hard for them to survive but they do somehow.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt truly a legend.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

This is how WC and Freo operate !
Allot of their players have very nice property portfolio's

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
This is how WC and Freo operate !
Allot of their players have very nice property portfolio's

You know but the AFL dont. makes sense.