Harves or Hayes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Harves or Hayes

After Lenny’s exceptional year given the circumstances how it began and ended and in light of his excellent polling at the Brownlow it got me thinking about how revered he is at not only the club but within the whole universe. I was then pondering if he is now more revered than Harvey or if he has just reached the same exulted heights as Harves?
He surely must be close to a knighthood or is Harves still the most revered to have ever worn the red, white and black? Discuss.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Harves or Hayes

Harves or Hayes?

Both please.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Harves or Hayes?

Both please.
That's what I reckon, even though Harves won Back to Back Brownlows I reckon Hayes evens it up with his Norm Smith.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

On longevity (and the standard he upheld for so long) I think Harves just shades Hayes at the moment.

But on character and effort, and as role models for the team I think they can't be separated. They can both look back at their terrific legacies with immense pride. Their humility stands out as a trait that makes them very special members of the club.

older saint
SS Life Member

Love Lenny but Harvey was one of the all time greats when mids were running all day. Still like asking do you want a Ferrari or a lambagini

Megsie
Club Player

LENNY!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Do you best player or best club man or best bloke because if it is best player then IMO it is neither of these. it can only be one man and he is Plugger.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Do you best player or best club man or best bloke because if it is best player then IMO it is neither of these. it can only be one man and he is Plugger.
Yes you are the best there ever has been.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do you best player or best club man or best bloke because if it is best player then IMO it is neither of these. it can only be one man and he is Plugger.
Yes you are the best there ever has been.

Im the 66th best. Plugger01 is the best. Actually 02. Howard was plugger01.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Was thinking the same thing to be honest. NO player could influence a game so profoundly and so often as Plugger.

Imagine if Plugger had Roo's professionalism, or Harves or Lenny's - the thought is scarey :shock:

St.Rob8
Club Player

As players Harvey >>>>>Hayes. Harvey changed the way midfielders play and what was expected of them. He was a pioneer in the elite fitness that is now expected of most mid-fielders. Raised the bar and changed the game.

As blokes and clubman, two of the greatest Saints of the modern era. Kind of like asking which kid is your favourite. Just glad they are both Saints, along with Trevor Barker, Geoff Cunningham, Danny Frawley, Nathan Burke, Nicky Winmar, Stuart Loewe and Nick Reiwoldt. All great representatives of our great club.

cross2012
Club Player

Agree on Plugger, probably in the top 4 of all time ( in any order - Carey, Ablett snr, Mathews fwiw),.

Out of Harves and Lenny, its probably unfair to try and split them, but for the sake of the argument, i think Lenny JUST shades Harves in contested possession and disposal efficiency and tackling. Harves probably got more possessions outrunning tags and providing link up options. Different players really so hard to compare head to head.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Harv's was and still is my favorite all time Saint, but Lenny and Plugger run him very, very close!!!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
Was thinking the same thing to be honest. NO player could influence a game so profoundly and so often as Plugger.

Imagine if Plugger had Roo's professionalism, or Harves or Lenny's - the thought is scarey :shock:
Better yet, imagine Roo with Plugger's ability!!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll know over time how each impacted the club....

The current mids speak highly of Harves impact on them when they arrived, we'll hear in a few years how Hayes impacted the kids coming through now.

bergsone
SS Life Member

toss a coin :| :| :|

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Plugger better than Carey...

Carey a champion, great, no doubt, but gets highlighted more as a)more recent b)less other champion forwards in the comp at the time/since c)leadership and premierships d)Mike Sheehan..

As a pure footballer, all round skills, ability to influence a game, Plugger's the greatest...

Carey couldnt really mark overhead for starters... :lol: :wink: .. sorta true...

noob
Club Player

Hayes.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I Don't pretend to know either player but Banger didn't present so well in the media, not sure his personality will stand up to a senior coaching gig,
Lenny also seems quiet but has a certain glint in his eye that my daughters and others of his generation find endearing.

andrewg
Club Player

I choose Lenny but feel blessed to have seen so many games by both

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Plugger the best ever Saint, probably the best ever footballer.

Harvey or Hayes? Phar Lap or Black Caviar?

Roo or Lenny?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plugga at times had up to 4 players on him.

I doubt, except early on, that he went one on one that often. Opposition teams just would not do it, for despite how vrap the saints were most of the time he was with us, to leave Plaugga one out would have been to risk losing the game.

Of the players I am have seen live at the Saints he was the best.....and definitely the most intimidating. If you did not see Plugga live at his awesome/brutal/skilful best, then you missed one of life's great joys. Sublime kick on goal, great mark, brisk pace over 10 m, great below is knees.....and he had just an intimidating presence that whole teams look over their shoulders and heard footsteps.

Harvey was the second best I have seen.....just barely above with Winmar and George Young. TB a bees dick below them.

I was too young for Baldock and Stewart.

Hayes is right up there too, but Banger shades him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Moods wrote:

Better yet, imagine Roo with Plugger's ability!!!
I can - and with it I'm imagining about 4 premierships I would have seen. And Roo has a fair bit of ability to start with :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If Plugga had ever trained seriously.....there probably would be no discussion about who was the greatest player ever.

The club dietician and Plugga never saw eye to eye......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Plugga at times had up to 4 players on him.

I doubt, except early on, that he went one on one that often. Opposition teams just would not do it, for despite how vrap the saints were most of the time he was with us, to leave Plaugga one out would have been to risk losing the game.

Of the players I am have seen live at the Saints he was the best.....and definitely the most intimidating. If you did not see Plugga live at his awesome/brutal/skilful best, then you missed one of life's great joys. Sublime kick on goal, great mark, brisk pace over 10 m, great below is knees.....and he had just an intimidating presence that whole teams look over their shoulders and heard footsteps.

Harvey was the second best I have seen.....just barely above with Winmar and George Young. TB a bees dick below them.

I was too young for Baldock and Stewart.

Hayes is right up there too, but Banger shades him.

"Shut up!!!   ............ you had me at George Young"