Saints chase Caddy, Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Saints chase Caddy, Brown

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 26xgg.html

ST KILDA will make a bid for Gold Coast's Josh Caddy and West Coast defender Mitch Brown in a effort to turn loss into gain.

With star free agent Brendon Goddard quitting the club for Essendon and promising youngster Jamie Cripps seeking a trade to West Coast, the Saints have identified Brown and Caddy as the players they want.

The moves came as new Carlton coach Mick Malthouse declared the Blues would be a bidder for Kurt Tippett if the Queenslander was prepared to consider a shift to a new club other than the Gold Coast. The Brisbane Lions said yesterday they were confident the former star Crow favoured a move to one of the Queensland clubs, but Malthouse said the Blues were interested.

''If he wants to got to Melbourne, guess what? Carlton will put their hand up for him,'' he said.

The Blues are close to signing Brock McLean to a two-year contract extension, which means they would need to lose other players to accommodate Tippett's hefty price tag.

Sydney is also reportedly interested in Tippett.

The Saints were hoping to use the compensation pick - almost certain to be pick 13 - they will gain for the loss of Goddard in a deal with Gold Coast for Caddy.

Geelong, with a bankable compensation pick it received for Gary Ablett, is still regarded as the favourite to secure the homecoming Suns midfielder.

North Melbourne is also a bidder for Caddy, whose family lives in the nearby northern suburbs.

Brown is contracted to the Eagles and they have indicated no interest in negotiating on the defender, who struggled for opportunities this year with Darren Glass and Eric Mackenzie holding down the key defensive posts.

Having secured Goddard, Essendon is waiting a decision from forward Angus Monfries, who is a restricted free agent, on whether he will accept a new two-year deal to remain at Windy Hill or accept a four-year offer that is believed to be on the table for him to join Port Adelaide.

The Bombers acknowledge that they will need players to leave to accommodate Goddard, with a number of players, including forward Scott Gumbleton, Leroy Jetta, David Hille, Alwyn Davey, Sam Lonergan, Brent Prismall and Ricky Dyson all still out of contract.

In a cat-and-mouse with Richmond, Port Adelaide is considering matching Richmond's offer of a three-year deal with a conditional fourth year, for restricted free agent Troy Chaplin. The Power had 72 hours from when the contract was tabled on Monday to decide whether to match the terms.

In the event that a club matches the contract terms of a rival club for a restricted free agent, that player has the choice to stay at his club or go in the national draft.

Most observers from rival clubs believe Port is unlikely to match Richmond's offer given the Power is also pursuing Monfries, Jordan Russell
and possibly others. Port is also weighing up whether to match Fremantle's offer for former Rising Star winner Danyle Pearce, who has received a substantial offer to join the Dockers.

Gold Coast football manager Marcus Ashcroft said yesterday the club had received a large amount of interest in Caddy and was working out the best deal.

''He played only two games in his first year but this year he played every game, and the development that our guys have put into him over two years is hard to measure,'' he said.
''How do you rate his potential? He might well go into a side next year and play up to All-Australian potential.
''We need to add all those things up and make a calculated and considered judgment, and hopefully a deal is worked out.''

Asked if Gold Coast would force Caddy into the draft if a suitable trade deal does not eventuate, Ashcroft said: ''Potentially.''

Carlton has secured former Collingwood player and Gold Coast assistant Shane O'Bree to fill the final assistant coaching vacancy to work under his former coach.
The Western Bulldogs have been in discussions with Greater Western Sydney about a possible deal to secure Jack Martin as one of the two 17-year-olds available in the mini-draft.

1ac46a38
Scoop
Club Player

Re: Saints chase Caddy, Brown

saint-stu wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 26xgg.html

Geelong, with a bankable compensation pick it received for Gary Ablett, is still regarded as the favourite to secure the homecoming Suns midfielder.

I'm sure I heard Neil Balme on SEN say that Geelong has not activated this pick this year....anyone else hear that?

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like whatever we do beating the Cats for Caddy wont be easy with that compo pick

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Both players with lots of potential...

Not sure on Brown. Was highly rated, a few injuries... Not sure how his year went in the WAFL

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:

I'm sure I heard Neil Balme on SEN say that Geelong has not activated this pick this year....anyone else hear that?
correct

that is why GC may trade with cats so GC have another 1st round pick in next years national draft.

saint4life
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:

Yes durng their Boak negotiations it was mentioned that the Cats have not chosen to activate that first round selection for this year, but that the rules will still allow them to trade the choice.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintTom
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Sounds like whatever we do beating the Cats for Caddy wont be easy with that compo pick
Depends. I'd be surprised if they used that on Caddy. That's a big thing to give up when it comes down to it....It's a lot less for us to give up pic 13 when we already have pick 12. Geelong are certainly in the box seat, but I'd be surprised if they were willing to give the only thing they can offer that's better than what we can/seem to be willing to - pick 13.

suss
Club Player

I can't believe there's a club willing to pay Angus Monfries money to dive for free kicks for four years . Who could be so stupid.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:
Scoop wrote:

correct

that is why GC may trade with cats so GC have another 1st round pick in next years national draft.
If they get Caddy, Rivers and McIntosh. Together with Varcoe and Menzel, who is to say they wont finish higher in the year the pick is activated.?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SaintTom
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
chook23 wrote:
Scoop wrote: I'm sure I heard Neil Balme on SEN say that Geelong has not activated this pick this year....anyone else hear that?
correct

If they get Caddy, Rivers and McIntosh. Together with Varcoe and Menzel, who is to say they wont finish higher in the year the pick is activated.?
This is the problem. GC are banking on Geelong continually dropping down the ladder - as well as what happens in future FA periods - where they may prefer to take a pick 13 that is set.

Who knows? Geelongs compo pick may never be worth more than 16 or so, and this is said to be a strong draft.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

will not affect the position of that pick................afl determine

saint4life
SaintTom
Club Player

chook23 wrote:will not affect the position of that pick................afl determine
Are you certain? Because the activated Scully pick and the activated Callan Ward pick both came directly after those teams respective first round picks for this year.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

We should really go for Gumbleton. By the way what's Caddy like? I know he's highly rated but I haven't watched him.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:We should really go for Gumbleton. By the way what's Caddy like? I know he's highly rated but I haven't watched him.
hardly anyone has watched Gumbleton, he spends most of his time during the week either his physio's office or his doctor's rooms..

On weekends he spends most of his time in the grandstand nursing his latest ailment...

Sounds like a good get

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about Brown...

andrewg
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:We should really go for Gumbleton. By the way what's Caddy like? I know he's highly rated but I haven't watched him.
No Gumbleton he is rubbish

Mitch Brown would be great for us

SaintSimmo
Club Player

ST KILDA will make a bid for Gold Coast's Josh Caddy and West Coast defender Mitch Brown in a effort to turn loss into gain.

With star free agent Brendon Goddard quitting the club for Essendon and promising youngster Jamie Cripps seeking a trade to West Coast, the Saints have identified Brown and Caddy as the players they want.
Great journalism right here. No quotes, just an educated guess like the rest of us.

Sainter for life.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:
chook23 wrote:will not affect the position of that pick................afl determine
Are you certain? Because the activated Scully pick and the activated Callan Ward pick both came directly after those teams respective first round picks for this year.
All GC and GWS compo picks are tied to the finish position of the original club who received then and must be activated at a date prior to the season starting. You are possibly confused between that and the way FA works.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If Brown wants out you can bet that we will be aggresively chasing him.

Our lack of big defenders is as a glaring hole that I am positive Pelchen wll be looking at as his number 1 priority. It would not surprise me if we came out of trade period with Brown + 1 other big young defender. I think we will definitely be active this trade period - it will be very interesting to see what we end up with.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Brown would be a great get. He is obviously not in the top class of key backs but your not going to get those are you?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Caddy has had his 2nd meeting with the Saints... loves the facilities but the drive to Seaford is an issue.

We're right in the mix. Josh has a few mates at StK that have raved about the joint (Watters, Lenny, etc)

The fact that our pick is lower than both Nth & Geel's gives us the advantage as GC need currency to trade for Tippett. Geel's compo pick is being spoken about like it is god's greatest gift to mankind but its not as attractive as Cats supporters are sprouting.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

We have to put Caddy's value into perspective

People forget that in his draft year of 2010, Gold coast had already taken 12 probable first rounders the year before

Add to that Josh was pick 7, so in actual fact Josh would've probably been around pick 12-20

If we give pick 13 for him alone, I reckon we're slightly over paying

mohannair
Club Player

Scoop wrote:

Yes, you are right.

Geelong cannot activate this pick this year & will do it next year.

So we will be the front runner, I would say if it push comes to shove, lets use pick 12 to get Caddy & then use pick 13 in draft.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:Geelong cannot activate this pick this year & will do it next year.
...but they can still trade it if they choose.

Legendary
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Caddy has had his 2nd meeting with the Saints... loves the facilities but the drive to Seaford is an issue.

We're right in the mix. Josh has a few mates at StK that have raved about the joint (Watters, Lenny, etc)

The fact that our pick is lower than both Nth & Geel's gives us the advantage as GC need currency to trade for Tippett. Geel's compo pick is being spoken about like it is god's greatest gift to mankind but its not as attractive as Cats supporters are sprouting.
Good to hear ... I imagine with the "drive to Seaford" it would be no different to the "drive to Geelong" that he would have to consider if he went to the Cats. Which I would think neutralises that point.

Plus I imagine we have more $ than those other two clubs to throw at him (if that is a factor in getting him over the line).

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
We have to put Caddy's value into perspective

People forget that in his draft year of 2010, Gold coast had already taken 12 probable first rounders the year before

Add to that Josh was pick 7, so in actual fact Josh would've probably been around pick 12-20

If we give pick 13 for him alone, I reckon we're slightly over paying

HOWEVER - with Caddy and his form this year, you know that he is going to be a pretty good (at least) AFL player.

Taking an unknown guy who has not had any time in the AFL system with pick 13 gives us no guarantees.

Even if you think pick 13 is "paying over" for Caddy ... it is hugely minimising our risk in the draft, which is basically a lottery and you have no way of knowing whether your selection will turn out to be any good. Whereas we at least know that Caddy will be a pretty good player - or possibly better.