Land of the Giants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Land of the Giants

Saints have suddenly become the land of the Giants. We have 8 very large units now.

McEvoy
Stanley
Hickey*
Kosi
Lee
Brown*
Wilkes
Roo

* subject to trades.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Land of the Giants

If we get Hickey, it is time for Kosi to retire.... Behind Roo, Stanley, Lee, Wilkes for KPF and behind Mcevoy, Hickey Stanley for Ruck duties

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Makes for a better look against the taller sides like WCE, Sydney & Hawks doesn't it !

Contrary to what a lot are suggesting I believe if we pick up Hickey that he and McEvoy should share the rucking/forward marking role. Both are good overhead and playing alongside Roo & Stanley we would stretch a lot of sides. I bleieve Kosi will be overtaken by Rhys or Tom Lee next year and dont see Kos playing too many more games for the Saints to be honest !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We're just catching up to the rest of the competition. Going in with such ridiculously low KPD and ruck depth probably cost us a finals spot this year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:We're just catching up to the rest of the competition. Going in with such ridiculously low KPD and ruck depth probably cost us a finals spot this year.
This.

Which is the only reason I say 'caution' because we had the same recruiter/list manager then.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Makes for a better look against the taller sides like WCE, Sydney & Hawks doesn't it !

Contrary to what a lot are suggesting I believe if we pick up Hickey that he and McEvoy should share the rucking/forward marking role. Both are good overhead and playing alongside Roo & Stanley we would stretch a lot of sides. I bleieve Kosi will be overtaken by Rhys or Tom Lee next year and dont see Kos playing too many more games for the Saints to be honest !

So you would play 4 talls forward. How would that work. The ball would be run out all the time.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Kosi's career looks over to me, not sure what we will do with him: delist? attempt to trade? let him play at sandy next year?

Sainter for life.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:Kosi's career looks over to me, not sure what we will do with him: delist? attempt to trade? let him play at sandy next year?
Should be its own thread really

"Job ideas for Kosi"

We are paying him 400k. He wont play any senior games. So what can he do to help the club and earn his keep?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:Kosi's career looks over to me, not sure what we will do with him: delist? attempt to trade? let him play at sandy next year?
His manager confirmed that he'll definitely be at St Kilda next year. Fortunately he will no longer be gifted games when underperforming due to our lack of depth. I'm happy to have him on the list - his best is still quite good, but he'll need to be at his best to get a gig.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
His manager confirmed that he'll definitely be at St Kilda next year. Fortunately he will no longer be gifted games when underperforming due to our lack of depth. I'm happy to have him on the list - his best is still quite good, but he'll need to be at his best to get a gig.

I think the old warhorse has been led into battle one too many times already. Only reason he is still at the club is because of his 3 + 1 contract and no way he and his mgr were not going to not take the final years cash and the club was locked in to it and cant get out of it.

[img]http://images.cdquest.com/images/album_ ... 883420.jpg
[/img]

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Need to play two ruckman. Teams without two true ruckman have not had much success in big finals.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Need to play two ruckman. Teams without two true ruckman have not had much success in big finals.

But the ruckmen must be able to rest forward for long periods of time. I dont think Ben can. i know nothing of Hickey. Hopefully he can otherwise it just wont work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Need to play two ruckman. Teams without two true ruckman have not had much success in big finals.

But the ruckmen must be able to rest forward for long periods of time. I dont think Ben can. i know nothing of Hickey. Hopefully he can otherwise it just wont work.
Other than Collingwood in 2010 since 2000 all Premiers have had two ruckman. Most of these ruckman where ruckman only.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Other than Collingwood in 2010 since 2000 all Premiers have had two ruckman. Most of these ruckman where ruckman only.

Mumford played forward this year and if he was fit Pyke would have. Same at Geelong last year. Forget what happened before 2010. That was when there was 4 interchange. They would rest a ruckman on the bench. They cant do that now.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Pyke and Mumford are hardly your mobile forward types people are screaming for. I see no reason why Ben can't have runs as a deep forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Pyke and Mumford are hardly your mobile forward types people are screaming for. I see no reason why Ben can't have runs as a deep forward.

Surely you arent serious about Pyke. He was a back rower when he played Rugby maybe even played on the wing. Ben could play 5 minutes a quarter forward. That would be it. Like I said hopefully Hickey if we get him and he plays can play forward for lengthy periods.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You need 7 generally

If that pans out... I reckon

Back
Brown, Simpkin, Fisher

Rucks
McEvoy/(Kosi/Stanley)

Forwards
Reiwoldt, (Stanley, Lee), (Kosi, Lee)

Reserves
Hickey, (Kosi, Lee), Wlkes, Ferguson

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Pyke and Mumford are hardly your mobile forward types people are screaming for. I see no reason why Ben can't have runs as a deep forward.

Surely you arent serious about Pyke. He was a back rower when he played Rugby maybe even played on the wing. Ben could play 5 minutes a quarter forward. That would be it. Like I said hopefully Hickey if we get him and he plays can play forward for lengthy periods.
Pyke? What are you talking about. Pyke played deep when he went forward the same as Hickey would although apparently Hickey has played s lot of CHF .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pyke? What are you talking about. Pyke played deep when he went forward the same as Hickey would although apparently Hickey has played s lot of CHF .

He is still a mobile forward. And like i said I hope Hickey can play forward and you say he can. Good. That was my point. You cant have a ruckman on the bench these days. Still dont know how it would work if Rooy, Stanley and Lee are forward. You cant have 4 talls. It wouldnt work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Lee more of a third tall mobile forward? Stanley has to play and Roo obviously. I like Kosi deep but Id also like yo see Roo and Stanley rotate and the resting ruckman stand in the square.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Isn't Lee more of a third tall mobile forward? Stanley has to play and Roo obviously. I like Kosi deep but Id also like yo see Roo and Stanley rotate and the resting ruckman stand in the square.

But if the resting ruckman is forward then it makes 4 talls if you include Lee. He is 195cm so that seems like a tall to me. That doesnt even include Kosi who has to be doubtful to play if Lee can play.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Isn't Lee more of a third tall mobile forward? Stanley has to play and Roo obviously. I like Kosi deep but Id also like yo see Roo and Stanley rotate and the resting ruckman stand in the square.

But if the resting ruckman is forward then it makes 4 talls if you include Lee. He is 195cm so that seems like a tall to me. That doesnt even include Kosi who has to be doubtful to play if Lee can play.
Does Kosi play if Lee starts well pre season? I still think two rucks Stanley and Roo FF CHF is the go. Lee as the third tall if he's as mobile as they say. Stanley to have very limited time in the ruck in fact he should just be forgotten about as a ruckman all together.

shmic_s
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:If we get Hickey, it is time for Kosi to retire.... Behind Roo, Stanley, Lee, Wilkes for KPF and behind Mcevoy, Hickey Stanley for Ruck duties
He'll be handy in showing them how to train. How to pre-pare, and many other little tangibles you and I will never be privy too.

Kosi will be around for at least another 12 months.

damienc
Club Player

This is a really good discussion. As you say we are now the Land of the Giants. I say hooray and amen to that. If this puts the heat on Kosi then so be it. To be brutally honest that guy has promised so so much and delivered sweet FA relatively speaking. I just don't get him at all. Great athlete good mark and kick but has never,ever really taken hold of a game by the scruff of the neck and made it his own in the same way Nick or Lenny do. Kosi has threatened plenty of times but never delivers. So now he's got some young blokes of similar size breathing down his neck and fighting him for a place. Sounds pretty good to me. And if he yet again fails to make the grade so be it. Don't want to sound harsh, just realistic. It's a tough game and sadly i don't think Kosi is tough enough.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Does Kosi play if Lee starts well pre season? I still think two rucks Stanley and Roo FF CHF is the go. Lee as the third tall if he's as mobile as they say. Stanley to have very limited time in the ruck in fact he should just be forgotten about as a ruckman all together.
Forgetting Stanley as a ruckman would be a massive mistake!!!

I have been watching some of the replays of our games this year and would have to say Stanley's rucking at the centre bounces is extremely good.

He actually knocks the ball straight down the throats of our mids unlike McEvoy (but hopefully this will come)

McEvoy is clearly our number 1 ruck (play 75% in ruck, 25% forward and resting on bench)
Stanley is our number 2 ruck (play 25% in ruck, 75% forward)
Play Roo at CHF, Lee at FF and Stanley on one of the Forward Flanks. Wilkes rotating off the bench through the forward line.

Sainter for life.