How good is Hicky actually?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pureoctain
Club Player

How good is Hicky actually?

I've read a lot of conflicting reports on him. Alot of people on here think he aint that great and isn't worth anything less then our third round pick. But I've also read stuff in the media saying he is extremely talented and the sky's the limit with his potential and the gold coast are shattered to lose him. Even read somewhere he could be as good as dean cox, which I find hard to believe. I've never seen him play, what's the truth, somewhere in the middle?

kimberly saint
Club Player

Re: How good is Hicky actually?

good question, i would be interested to.

cox like if we get him, will take us to our next flag.

If we miss him over rated , the next barry brooks i hope

Saintersss
Club Player

It's very hard to quantify value for a second-year project ruckman. He has a lot of potential and could 'potentially' because a A grade ruckman, but at the same time he could turn into a flop, it's just too difficult to say at this early point in his career, considering how long it takes for ruckman to develop.

I rate Emma Quayle's opinion highly on young AFL players and she says he is a better player than Caddy and perhaps on par with Brodie Grundy as a ruckman (he's tipped to go top 3 in this years draft). So, looking on that he is worth Pick 13 and if we get him for anything less that is a steal. I would rate her opinion over everyone's opinion here times 100.

I have been one saying we shouldn't go after him, but that is for a different reason and not because I don't think he can't develop into a very good player, but rather than he and McEvoy can't play in the same side, therefore it seems a bit perplexing to give a high draft pick for someone who will struggle to make the 22.

Either way, if we do pick him up don't expect much from him for a while, he a project, developing ruckman. Although, I can already imagine many on here criticising him next year when he isn't setting the world on fire.

rexy
SS Life Member

Saintersss wrote:It's very hard to quantify value for a second-year project ruckman. He has a lot of potential and could 'potentially' because a A grade ruckman, but at the same time he could turn into a flop, it's just too difficult to say at this early point in his career, considering how long it takes for ruckman to develop.

I rate Emma Quayle's opinion highly on young AFL players and she says he is a better player than Caddy and perhaps on par with Brodie Grundy as a ruckman (he's tipped to go top 3 in this years draft). So, looking on that he is worth Pick 13 and if we get him for anything less that is a steal. I would rate her opinion over everyone's opinion here times 100.

I have been one saying we shouldn't go after him, but that is for a different reason and not because I don't think he can't develop into a very good player, but rather than he and McEvoy can't play in the same side, therefore it seems a bit perplexing to give a high draft pick for someone who will struggle to make the 22.

Either way, if we do pick him up don't expect much from him for a while, he a project, developing ruckman. Although, I can already imagine many on here criticising him next year when he isn't setting the world on fire.
Agree strongly with you re reasons not to chase him, mac is probably the only player under 25 set in our side! Don't need two genuine rucks, go after something we really need IMO. I could see a Hille or McIntosh problem in 2 yrs time if we recruit Hickey!

Maybe this year?
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Potential potential potential. Is far from a sure thing but he is a bit Ahmed Saad like in the sense that he is very new to the game.

Quayle comments excite me but also concern me, I really don't want to spend pick 13 on him!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully if we get him and if he's good, Kosi plays in the twos.

But there is another IF - we need Stanley fit also for this to happen!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Potential potential potential. Is far from a sure thing but he is a bit Ahmed Saad like in the sense that he is very new to the game.

Quayle comments excite me but also concern me, I really don't want to spend pick 13 on him!
How desperate are we for a ruckman that's had a few years development but could be a 10 year player for us?

It's a no brainer. I'm hoping for pick 25 but they may drop there pants over this guy and pay a premium to get him due to where we are at. And GC knows all this of course....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
St Ick wrote:Potential potential potential. Is far from a sure thing but he is a bit Ahmed Saad like in the sense that he is very new to the game.

How desperate are we for a ruckman that's had a few years development but could be a 10 year player for us?

It's a no brainer. I'm hoping for pick 25 but they may drop there pants over this guy and pay a premium to get him due to where we are at. And GC knows all this of course....
Some really interesting ideas/developments on BF. I think tmw will be a busy news day now everyone knows where their picks stand.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Saintersss
Club Player

While yes, he is mainly potential, it is worth noting that every player we pick up from the draft is just that as well, potential. People seem to think going to draft is some sort of guarantee. It's just whether we are willing to use a high pick on a ruckman, when we already have one, or on more pressing needs such as a key defender or midfielder. If the club is wanting to pick up a ruckman with one of our early picks regardless, I'd rather trade it for Hickey. There isn't really that many quality young rucks from the draft apart from Grundy, so Hickey probably would be the 2nd best ruck if he was in the draft.

hotdish
Club Player

Hickey does have Cox like athleticism. I have no idea how good his ruckwork is though. He is a great grab. Highlights here:

(1:40mark)

(1:07) - 8 contested marks v pies

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Hickey played four games as first ruck. He broke even with Cam Wood, lost to Jason Blake and got demolished by David Hale and Matthew Krezuer. People really need to stop mentioning Dean Cox. Cox is the best ruck of his generation. Hickey is a project. There may be tools to work with, but he's still a project. He wouldn't be ahead of Mac and he'd need to show prowess as a forward to even get a game, barring injuries.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rexy
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:Hickey played four games as first ruck. He broke even with Cam Wood, lost to Jason Blake and got demolished by David Hale and Matthew Krezuer. People really need to stop mentioning Dean Cox. Cox is the best ruck of his generation. Hickey is a project. There may be tools to work with, but he's still a project. He wouldn't be ahead of Mac and he'd need to show prowess as a forward to even get a game, barring injuries.
Yes yes yes yes

Good post

Maybe this year?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Really only interested in the answer if he ends up in the Red, Black & White over the next 5 days.

Richter
SS Life Member

We need back up to Ben Mac, AND we need competition for the number 1 ruck spot. IMO Benny still not a lock to be our number 1 ruck for the next decade.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SinCitySainter
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Hickey played four games as first ruck. He broke even with Cam Wood, lost to Jason Blake and got demolished by David Hale and Matthew Krezuer. People really need to stop mentioning Dean Cox. Cox is the best ruck of his generation. Hickey is a project. There may be tools to work with, but he's still a project. He wouldn't be ahead of Mac and he'd need to show prowess as a forward to even get a game, barring injuries.
You are of course right Cox is the best Ruck of his generation but it is worth noting that he was a rookie selection. Therefore noone could predict how good he would become.
The simple fact is Hickey could be the next Cox or equally the next Barry Brookes, it is far too early to tell.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote:... it is worth noting that [Cox] was a rookie selection.
I don't see how mentioning Cox is useful at all. If the point is Cox got better, therefore Hickey might get better, then that could equally apply to all ruckmen, so it's not really a useful point. Hickey turns 22 in March. Cox played his 50th game the year he turned 22. He was All-Australian at the age of 24. Hickey is not Dean Cox now and the chances are he never will be. That doesn't mean we should or shouldn't pick him up. I'm just saying that it's over the top to compare a guy who got beaten by backup rucks to the best ruckman in football.

If we're looking at what Hickey is, which I believe is the point of this thread, he's an athletic ruckman who struggles at the hitouts.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

All young rucks are gambles, and big ones at that. Pun intended!!!

In recent years the surest ruck bet for teams in the premiership window, has been trading in a mature and experienced ruckman.

Add to that equation that a lot of the elite ruckmen have started their AFL careers as rookies, and you get the answer that drafting very young ruckmen is a low % method of securing a ruckmen and that high draft picks are not that much better than low draft picks when spent on a ruck prospect.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

According to GC good enough for a 1st round draft pick

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kimberly saint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:All young rucks are gambles, and big ones at that. Pun intended!!!

In recent years the surest ruck bet for teams in the premiership window, has been trading in a mature and experienced ruckman.

Add to that equation that a lot of the elite ruckmen have started their AFL careers as rookies, and you get the answer that drafting very young ruckmen is a low % method of securing a ruckmen and that high draft picks are not that much better than low draft picks when spent on a ruck prospect.

good points

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Good enough to have his name spelt correctly :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pick 13 for a 12 game project player is obscene.

Is he contracted? Might be draft-time for the big guy.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

id look at something with Toy thrown in.

This kid has lost all value due to what seems like some complete unknowns. Give the kid a crack...there has to be room in your team for a kid with that much ability and skill.

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

GC have built up quite the poor reputation at the trade table. Hickey's market value is a mid second round pick and GC have done quite well (and underhandedly) at rising his worth by attempting to create a bidding war. The rumours about the Pies willing to give pick 20 for Hickey are rumoured to have started by none other than the GC club itself.

I understand they are trying to make it known that if their players want to return to their original state then clubs have to be willing to pay top dollar however it hasn't done their reputation any favours. First they wanted 2 x first round picks for Caddy, which everyone new was absolute BS. Now they want pick 13 for a zone selection player they got for free who is a project player, nice. Idiots. I hope we stand firm and pay market value or walk away. I wouldn't even give pick 25 for Hickey. Pick 37 or send him to the draft. He's rumoured to have said he will only sign with St Kilda so its in our favour.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:GC have built up quite the poor reputation at the trade table. Hickey's market value is a mid second round pick and GC have done quite well (and underhandedly) at rising his worth by attempting to create a bidding war. The rumours about the Pies willing to give pick 20 for Hickey are rumoured to have started by none other than the GC club itself.

I understand they are trying to make it known that if their players want to return to their original state then clubs have to be willing to pay top dollar however it hasn't done their reputation any favours. First they wanted 2 x first round picks for Caddy, which everyone new was absolute BS. Now they want pick 13 for a zone selection player they got for free who is a project player, nice. Idiots. I hope we stand firm and pay market value or walk away. I wouldn't even give pick 25 for Hickey. Pick 37 or send him to the draft. He's rumoured to have said he will only sign with St Kilda so its in our favour.

Yup - pretty close I'd reckon.

We might lose Cripps into the draft for nought, but we might pick up Hickey the same way.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hickey has done nothing but take a few good contested marks against Collingwood. He's the only player Blake has ever polled Brownlow votes against in over 200 games. He may well improve but that's totally speculation - he may also be a spud who never puts on size or has no footy brain.

Gold Coast are desperately trying to lift his value when realistically, a pick in the early 30s is probably his market value. Pick 25 would be paying slightly overs, but I suspect that will end up being the price. 13 is insane.