high pick on hickey. what does it mean ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

high pick on hickey. what does it mean ?

so using 13 on hickey is a clear indication they are training rhys up to be a long term xhf.
either that or they have lost faith in macca. ill go with the former for the time being.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Re: high pick on hickey. what does it mean ?

It must mean we don't rate this draft at all. We've now given up two first round picks for, respectively, an untried forward and a young ruckman with twelve games behind him. That's way overs unless we don't rate the draft. At this stage with our promise of further 'action' our three compulsory picks will be in the forties and fifties. I can understand giving up BJ for a first round pick, for the chance to draft a kid who might play 150/200 games, but this stragey smells of the coach not really being interested in rebuilding at all, just minding his own arse.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Still hoping the current crop can win a flag and topping up me thinks.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
kos
Club Player

It means he's a good footballer!

Legendary
Club Player

Some facts:
  • Every player in the draft is untried in senior football.
  • Several draft experts (Kevin Sheehan, Terry Wallace, Emma Quayle) have said that after the first 6-10 selections, the depth of talent this year is very even down to about pick 25-30.
  • Our trade for Hickey involved dropping 13 places in the draft, from 13 to 26.
  • We have a huge hole in our list of players aged between 21 and 25.
  • We have traded for 2 players who have the capacity to play 10 years and 200 games for the club. Both are 21.

shmic_s
Club Player

I think Watters and a few others have stressed that they see Stanley primarily as a forward.

Kernal75
Club Player

Pelchen and co know where the holes in our list are and are recruiting for immediate needs. I think you'll see us keep 25, 26 and go to the draft for longer term gain. Hickey and Lee are both ready to play senior footbal next year if you read the profiles so I'm comfortable with what they have done. Rebuilding takes many form, not just going to the draft to get a bunch of kids.

saint6709
Club Player

Their doing it for Lenny - we can still win the flag in 2013

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:It must mean we don't rate this draft at all. We've now given up two first round picks for, respectively, an untried forward and a young ruckman with twelve games behind him. That's way overs unless we don't rate the draft. At this stage with our promise of further 'action' our three compulsory picks will be in the forties and fifties. I can understand giving up BJ for a first round pick, for the chance to draft a kid who might play 150/200 games, but this stragey smells of the coach not really being interested in rebuilding at all, just minding his own arse.
Draft history shows that very good talls are few and far between and the future superstars are usually snapped up in the first 10 selections. These same picks then don't generally become regular senior players until they turn 21. We have picked up to highly rated 21yo's who are ready to play next year and could potentially give us 10 years of service.

Good quality AFL ready Midfielders, on the other hand, run very deep in the draft and can still be picked up in the 20's and 30's.

I think we have been very smart with our trades

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:It must mean we don't rate this draft at all. We've now given up two first round picks for, respectively, an untried forward and a young ruckman with twelve games behind him. That's way overs unless we don't rate the draft. At this stage with our promise of further 'action' our three compulsory picks will be in the forties and fifties. I can understand giving up BJ for a first round pick, for the chance to draft a kid who might play 150/200 games, but this stragey smells of the coach not really being interested in rebuilding at all, just minding his own arse.
maybe its the opposite - they DO rate the draft - especially the depth.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Draft history shows that very good talls are few and far between and the future superstars are usually snapped up in the first 10 selections. These same picks then don't generally become regular senior players until they turn 21.
Care to back that up? Not too sure thats a correct statement.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
maybe its the opposite - they DO rate the draft - especially the depth.
Thats the way I see it, the club has filled some holes and rates the depth of the draft so they expect they can get quality at 25 and 26

I love this club
vacuous space
SS Life Member

It means we need more tall talent and rate Hickey. Remember, Pelchen picked up Dowler and Thorp after Buddy and Roughead. He's more than mildly obsessed with talls.

I doubt it's a comment on Stanley at all, although I wouldn't want to bank on his hamstrings. You cetainly wouldn't replace Ben with a raw athlete who's even worse in the ruck. I think they're hoping he'll develop into a compliment to Ben who can play up forward. He's got plenty of learning to do.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

We haven't just traded Hickey for 13 in a straight swap. People are pretty simple! We have traded 13 and got back 26 and Hickey. There fore
if we get a decent player in the draft at 26, we have effective receive two players hopefully of quality for the one pick!
That's the philosophy, hope it pays off. Same as how we traded 12 for Lee and pick 25. Another 2 for 1 deal

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:We haven't just traded Hickey for 13 in a straight swap. People are pretty simple! We have traded 13 and got back 26 and Hickey. There fore
if we get a decent player in the draft at 26, we have effective receive two players hopefully of quality for the one pick!
That's the philosophy, hope it pays off. Same as how we traded 12 for Lee and pick 25. Another 2 for 1 deal

Depends how you look at it. You could say that we traded Hickey for 13 and downgraded our second round pick from 37 to 26. That is more logical because those picks are both second rounders.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:We haven't just traded Hickey for 13 in a straight swap. People are pretty simple! We have traded 13 and got back 26 and Hickey. There fore

Depends how you look at it. You could say that we traded Hickey for 13 and downgraded our second round pick from 37 to 26. That is more logical because those picks are both second rounders.
Surely that's an upgrade?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep thats what I meant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its hard work Bernard.........

“Yeah….nah””
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Recruiting 18 year old talls is definitely more risky than recruiting 18 year old midfielders. Therefore it makes sense to recruit two 21year old talls that you've had a decent look at in senior football (admittedly one in the WAFL). I agree with Bring Back Mad Dog. The draft pick drop of about 12 places may not even hurt us. Remember, we picked up Raph Clarke and Caydn Beetham with picks inside the top ten, and we picked up Montagna, Gwilt, Stanley, Fisher, & co with much later picks than the 25 & 26 we have in this draft.

The club has faced reality regarding the composition of the list and engineered things during the trade period so that we haven't lost draft picks, but just had them nudged down the order a bit while picking up two of the three players it had as their main targets. Good management v risk strategy, I'd say. It's not like we gave up draft picks entirely like Melbourne did to pick up an out of form, mediocre key forward like Dawes who has less years left in him than the guys we picked up.

Let's not panic. So far, so good. This could be another Saad/Milera situation, and if it is, I'll be delighted.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote:Still hoping the current crop can win a flag and topping up me thinks.
Not likely IMO.

Let's hope we can make the finals in 2013, that would be a great result.

And also a few more day games!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.