The under 25's XXV - The future ins't so frightening...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

The under 25's XXV - The future ins't so frightening...

Assuming upgrades...

B: Geary (24,183, 82) Ferguson (20, 194, 85) Simpkin (22, 191, 91)

HB: Newnes (20, 184, 76) Lever (20, 200, 82) Dunell (23, 190 81)

C: Siposs (20, 189, 87) Ross (20, 187, 83) Ledger (21, 178, 76)

HF: Milera (25, 183, 77) Stanley (22, 200, 98) Markworth (20, 189, 78)

F: McEvoy (23, 200, 101) Lee (22, 195, 86) Saad (23, 175, 75)

R: Hickey (22, 201, 87) Armitage (24, 183, 84) Steven (23, 180, 82)

INT: Curren (21, 178, 78) Dennis-Lane (24, 181, 75) Minchington (19, 179, 80)

Sub: Shenton (22, 188, 84)

Em: Webster (20, 188, 75) Staley (20, 194, 90) Winmar (22, 189, 83)

The future's not so bleak...
Last edited by Uncle Barrels on Fri 02 Nov 2012 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: The under 25's XXV

Looks a heck of a lot better than it did 12 months ago. Our under 25 side then was woeful.

shmic_s
Club Player

Good to see the recruiters and list managers know what they are doing. :wink:

Clearly recognised the problem with the list and fixed it over the last 1.5 drafts. Bring in a couple more quality youngsters later this month.

Lots of if's, but's and maybe's, but yes. Future isn't looking as dark and gloomy. Not out of the woods yet though IMO.

The next stage is the 'development academy'. Hope the investment starts paying dividends in the next 12-24 months.
We need to find some guns to replace Lenny, Roo and Milne.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Clearly recognised the problem with the list and fixed it over the last 1.5 drafts.
I'm not sure it's "fixed".

Are there any stars in that side? I reckon that's a team full of ok to good to very good players (at best). To do really well, though, you need stars. Let's hope a couple of those guys end up in the top ten players in the league, otherwise we'll be 7th to 14th for a long time.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
shmic_s wrote:Clearly recognised the problem with the list and fixed it over the last 1.5 drafts.

Are there any stars in that side? I reckon that's a team full of ok to good to very good players (at best). To do really well, though, you need stars. Let's hope a couple of those guys end up in the top ten players in the league, otherwise we'll be 7th to 14th for a long time.

Agree with that, but reckon there are stars potentially there (Siposs, Stanley, Ross, Lee..)

Either way, the "doom-and-gloom" brigade seems a little keen in view of that side

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: The under 25's XXV - The future ins't so frightening...

It's looking better than it did a couple of years ago, but it'd still be close to the worst in the league.

The best of our team: McEvoy, Siposs, Saad, Steven, Armitage, Stanley, Geary, Simpkin, Newnes

Top teams

Hawthorn: Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall, Gunston, Smith, Puopolo, Suckling, Savage, Schoenmakers

Collingwood: Pendlebury, Cloke, Thomas, Beams, Sidebottom, Reid, Brown, Blair, Fasolo, Paine

Geelong: Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Menzel, Smedts, Motlop, Varcoe, Hunt, Murdoch, Christensen

Sydney: Kennedy, Jetta, Jack, Hannebury, Grundy, Reid, Rohan, Bird, Parker, Johnson, Smith

Mid-range teams

Carlton: Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Betts, Henderson, Yarran, Gartlett, Robinson, Casblout, McInnes

Fremantle: Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Ballantyne, Mayne, Clarke, Ibbotson, Pearce, Walters, Morabito

Richmond: Cotchin, Riewoldt, Deledio, Rance, Martin, Vickery, Conca, Grigg, Nahas, Houli, Morris

Even the punch lines of the competition

Port Adelaide: Hartlett, Trengove, Boak, Wingard, Butcher, Redden, Ebert, O'Shea

Melbourne: Grimes, Frawley, Clark, Jones, Howe, Watts, McKenzie, Blease

Watters, Pelchen and co are working very hard to avoid a horrible decline when the 28-30 year olds retire, but it'll take more than this. We have a few promising kids and some useful young players who can play a role, but we're a long way off being a force again. The younger portion of our list simply doesn't stack up to the rest of the competition.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with most posters.
We have a lot of work to do and aren't out of the woods BUT our situation has improved markedly from 12 months ago. So some credit is owed to the club mgt.
12 months ago I was paid up and full member of the doom and gloom brigade. Now I am in the - maybe some shred of hope - brigade.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

With a few obvious exceptions - most well over 25 - the swans are a team of ok to good to very good players (at best) as well.
Important thing is how well they gel, give their all, and follow instructions.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

the only way to get stars, is to be on the bottom, or via free agency. Now that Goddard and Gram are gone, We might go hard for Free agency next year.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:Assuming upgrades...

B: Geary (24,183, 82) Ferguson (20, 194, 85) Simpkin (22, 191, 91)

HB: Newnes (20, 184, 76) Lever (20, 200, 82) Dunell (23, 190 81)

C: Siposs (20, 189, 87) Ross (20, 187, 83) Ledger (21, 178, 76)

HF: Milera (25, 183, 77) Stanley (22, 200, 98) Markworth (20, 189, 78)

F: McEvoy (23, 200, 101) Lee (22, 195, 86) Saad (23, 175, 75)

R: Hickey (22, 201, 87) Armitage (24, 183, 84) Steven (23, 180, 82)

INT: Curren (21, 178, 78) Dennis-Lane (24, 181, 75) Minchington (19, 179, 80)

Sub: Shenton (22, 188, 84)

Em: Webster (20, 188, 75) Staley (20, 194, 90) Winmar (22, 189, 83)

The future's not so bleak...
That team might even give GWS a run for it's money...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Might be young.....ability wise would prob get smashed by all other sides.

saint4life
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: With a few obvious exceptions - most well over 25 - the swans are a team of ok to good to very good players (at best) as well.
Again, from my previous post

Kennedy, Jetta, Jack, Hannebury, Grundy, Reid, Rohan, Bird, Parker, Johnson, Smith

That's half their regular side under 25, and there are four absolute guns on that list, with a few more likely to improve drastically. Sydney have reshaped their team immensely over the past few years but a fair few people seem to think it's the same side they've had for a decade.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That side would finish last next year. And will continue to finish last in the next few years. Hopefully we can trade and draft to stop that.

shmic_s
Club Player

Uncle Barrels wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Agree with that, but reckon there are stars potentially there (Siposs, Stanley, Ross, Lee..)

Either way, the "doom-and-gloom" brigade seems a little keen in view of that side
I agree it's not fixed. More improved. Gone from very few in the 22-24 age bracket to having a few players like saad milera lee hickey that have a bit of potential. And with our new super development academy I have some hope that I didn't have previously.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Uncle Barrels. That's a nice looking side you've got listed there. I like it, I like it a lot. :D

Why are so many people so unkind? Love your club.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think Cockie could sneak in there

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
desertsaint wrote: With a few obvious exceptions - most well over 25 - the swans are a team of ok to good to very good players (at best) as well.

Kennedy, Jetta, Jack, Hannebury, Grundy, Reid, Rohan, Bird, Parker, Johnson, Smith

That's half their regular side under 25, and there are four absolute guns on that list, with a few more likely to improve drastically. Sydney have reshaped their team immensely over the past few years but a fair few people seem to think it's the same side they've had for a decade.
And would you have said the same thing prior to 2012?
Not a chance. Gelling as a team does wonderful things for confidence and pushing players to their peak. Give ours a year or two, we could go the same way, we may not. I think you are overrating the swans as individuals. Great season from them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:That side would finish last next year. And will continue to finish last in the next few years. Hopefully we can trade and draft to stop that.
I don't agree with that at all. At the very least it would beat GWS and a Gazza Jnr-less GC, and that's without really thinking about any other teams. I'd be fairly comfortable in saying it would handle the Bulldogs as well without trouble

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Looks a heck of a lot better than it did 12 months ago. Our under 25 side then was woeful.
Con, Please explain?

Do you reckon we had some crap U25s last year?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:It's looking better than it did a couple of years ago, but it'd still be close to the worst in the league.

The best of our team: McEvoy, Siposs, Saad, Steven, Armitage, Stanley, Geary, Simpkin, Newnes

Top teams

Hawthorn: Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall, Gunston, Smith, Puopolo, Suckling, Savage, Schoenmakers

Collingwood: Pendlebury, Cloke, Thomas, Beams, Sidebottom, Reid, Brown, Blair, Fasolo, Paine

Geelong: Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Menzel, Smedts, Motlop, Varcoe, Hunt, Murdoch, Christensen

Sydney: Kennedy, Jetta, Jack, Hannebury, Grundy, Reid, Rohan, Bird, Parker, Johnson, Smith

Mid-range teams

Carlton: Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Betts, Henderson, Yarran, Gartlett, Robinson, Casblout, McInnes

Fremantle: Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Ballantyne, Mayne, Clarke, Ibbotson, Pearce, Walters, Morabito

Richmond: Cotchin, Riewoldt, Deledio, Rance, Martin, Vickery, Conca, Grigg, Nahas, Houli, Morris

Even the punch lines of the competition

Port Adelaide: Hartlett, Trengove, Boak, Wingard, Butcher, Redden, Ebert, O'Shea

Melbourne: Grimes, Frawley, Clark, Jones, Howe, Watts, McKenzie, Blease

Watters, Pelchen and co are working very hard to avoid a horrible decline when the 28-30 year olds retire, but it'll take more than this. We have a few promising kids and some useful young players who can play a role, but we're a long way off being a force again. The younger portion of our list simply doesn't stack up to the rest of the competition.
Just trying to work out how the players above in red qualify for Under 25's when they are already 25 and some will be 26 before the start of next season

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Just trying to work out how the players above in red qualify for Under 25's when they are already 25 and some will be 26 before the start of next season
The same way Milera does in the OP

mick13
Club Player

Generally in the 'Unders' you would turn that age during the year. So I think it counts.

Of course an Under 24 team would work much better for us to compare everyone :P

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Why hasn't Winmar been delisted yet?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Looks a heck of a lot better than it did 12 months ago. Our under 25 side then was woeful.
Con, Please explain?

Do you reckon we had some crap U25s last year?
Because we would have had Gilbert, Ray, Gwilt and Wilkes but now they have been replaced by Lever, Minchington, Curren and Shelton.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kaos theory
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

And would you have said the same thing prior to 2012?
Not a chance. Gelling as a team does wonderful things for confidence and pushing players to their peak. Give ours a year or two, we could go the same way, we may not. I think you are overrating the swans as individuals. Great season from them.
Agreed. Many at the start of this year would have said that the swans had one established elite (and ageing) star, ie Goodes, plus a bunch of GOPS and a few promising/talented young players.

So what's that different compared to us at the start of next year? I think we have a pretty good list of promising/talented young players mixed with a number of ageing elites....

How potential transfers into real performance is dependent ona number of factors, which we can predict at this stage.