Lever...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lever...

Has he muscled up in the pre-season so far...?

I am am reminded of a young Kosi who played well at CHB when he was young.

I believe that Fisher is our best option for FB. Do for me the question is not who will play FB, but rather who will play CHB?

Gilbert, Ferg, Lever, Lee, Simpkim, Blake....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lever...

Is it possible for someone to "muscle up" considerably in 3 months, and not forgetting 6 weeks of that 3 months were his "holidays"....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Is it possible for someone to "muscle up" considerably in 3 months, and not forgetting 6 weeks of that 3 months were his "holidays"....
Did you see BJ when he got back from the South African camp?

Though Kosi when he played CHB was hardly "built" :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lever still looks like an angry bean rather than muscled. He would make Zac Dawson's wrestles look manly. We need someone to stand Cloke, Clarke and Brown not a tooth pick. Lever should develop into a KPP eventually but he won't add much this year IMO.

savatage
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Is it possible for someone to "muscle up" considerably in 3 months
Absolutely.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Is it possible for someone to "muscle up" considerably in 3 months, and not forgetting 6 weeks of that 3 months were his "holidays"....
Depends what you mean by "muscle up." It's pretty easy to put on a decent amount of weight and increase srength over three months if your diet is right. "Strength gained under the iron, size gained at the dinner table." The trick will be to gain mainly lean muscle so not to effect cardio and agility. Impossible not to gain any fat when putting on weight so thats why gaining significant weight is usually spread over a number of years....Or you could try and bulk up too quick and become fat like Michael Hurley did and injury prone like the rest of his team mates.

I'd be dissappointed if Lever (who is a tall frame) didn't put on at least 5 kegs since his first year. Being young and new to a pro sports environment he should he be able to make "noob gains" meaning his body is so new to being flogged in the gym it will shock his body/muscles into extreme gains at the beginning.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Depends what you mean by "muscle up." It's pretty easy to put on a decent amount of weight and increase srength over three months if your diet is right. "Strength gained under the iron, size gained at the dinner table." The trick will be to gain mainly lean muscle so not to effect cardio and agility. Impossible not to gain any fat when putting on weight so thats why gaining significant weight is usually spread over a number of years....Or you could try and bulk up too quick and become fat like Michael Hurley did and injury prone like the rest of his team mates.

I'd be dissappointed if Lever (who is a tall frame) didn't put on at least 5 kegs since his first year. Being young and new to a pro sports environment he should he be able to make "noob gains" meaning his body is so new to being flogged in the gym it will shock his body/muscles into extreme gains at the beginning.

I just remember when Daniel Archer arrived and looked like a skinny kid then he looked like he doubled in size and needed to watch his skin folds in a really short period. Some guys bulk up and some never get any bigger. I always thought that genetics played the biggest part as some don't seem to have the metabolism or what ever to grow big. I would have a look at his parents and older siblings and see if he has the size in his genes when I was recruiting then you know a bit more of how the gene pool will endow him.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I don't think Lever will look any different any time soon.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
kimberly saint
Club Player

dustin fletcher ????

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jackson Ferg is well ahead of Lever on the development table.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I just remember when Daniel Archer arrived and looked like a skinny kid then he looked like he doubled in size and needed to watch his skin folds in a really short period. Some guys bulk up and some never get any bigger. I always thought that genetics played the biggest part as some don't seem to have the metabolism or what ever to grow big. I would have a look at his parents and older siblings and see if he has the size in his genes when I was recruiting then you know a bit more of how the gene pool will endow him.
In my experience genetics is a term overused and often as an excuse for those that do not have the work ethic and discipline required for training and dieting. Obviously everyone is different, some need to eat more than others to put on weight, the opposite for those who wish to lose weight however your metabolism, like your body is adaptable. If Lever falls into the first category and he is not putting on weight then he needs to eat more. He can lift all the weights he wants but if he wants to put on size and increase strength then he needs to do the work at the dinner table to promote muscle growth and strength. As a general rule and in terms of growth, 80% of the work is done with dieting, and when I say dieting I mean eating more or eating less depending on what your goal is. Obviously what you eat is equally important. His macronutrients must be carefully looked at depending on his goal. If he is looking to bulk up then it's vitally important to ensure he is getting enough proteins in his diet and carbs to promote energy and recovery. I'm sure the club dietician is all over it and then it's up to Lever to be disciplined with his meal plans, on and off season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Are you talking the Daniel Archer from the saints? he was never skinny and if anything when he arrived he was overweight.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Archer was Drafted at 99kgs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Archer was Drafted at 99kgs

So what is the point of saying that? Was he skinny, perfect or overweight?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes a skinny 99kg..... FFS you're a knob

MrCordz
Club Player

Very touchy Big Mart - Chill out!

Humbly St. Kilda
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes a skinny 99kg..... FFS you're a knob

Well is it fat or perfect? Had a bad week BM or just a bad life in general?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it wasn't him that was skinny when he arrived. I must have mistaken him for someone else. Anyway it was worth stirring the trouble up to the point of seeing Plugger called a knob by someone other than myself. Anyway I know f all about putting on weight but have seen some guys seem to struggle to put weight on while others have the opposite trouble. They have more training staff than players nearly now if he can't bulk in that environment something is wrong. Still stand by the fact that Lever would need to put on heaps of weight to play FB any better than anyone else currently in the first 22. We need a Gorilla not a Gibbon - no offence to his playing ability just size.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Just read a Big Footy phantom draft and it had Archer as 195cm & 91kg. It could be wrong but I cant see your figure anywhere BM.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Not taking sides here - but Daniel Archer was known as "piggy" the moment he arrived at the club. He lost a lot of fat over the last couple of pre-seasons but he naturally tended to carry more weight than most.

savatage
SS Life Member

Back to the topic, looks like Jay Lever has put on a significant amount of weight, however he needed to. I think he'd need at least another similar pre-season to be AFL ready size wise, but this pre-season looks encouraging.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Jackson Ferg is well ahead of Lever on the development table.
He looks to be a pretty big unit now, Jacko! I suspect he is taller than the 194cm he is listed at and he looks very strong from the videos I've seen of him from the pre-season. Bloody hell it could be handy if he became better at playing key position.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Not taking sides here - but Daniel Archer was known as "piggy" the moment he arrived at the club. He lost a lot of fat over the last couple of pre-seasons but he naturally tended to carry more weight than most.

I just thought I remembered him at training when he first arrived and looked slight then appeared in the NAB the next year and he looked as if Rooey had gone nuts on the donuts. Must have been someone else that I mistook for him. My memory has never been that sound to begin with so it's very possible I was wrong.

I was out with my wife and she was telling a story and I claimed I was there at the time only for her to say I wasn't even in the country at the time so I may have some form. I think I just heard her s*** story so many times i started to feel like I was there :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Yes a skinny 99kg..... FFS you're a knob

Well is it fat or perfect? Had a bad week BM or just a bad life in general?
Maybe dinner over at your place weekly should be the new regime for all new recruits......that's if you can fit them round the table next to Rooey, Lenny, Dal, Joey, Kosi.....

“Yeah….nah””
savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
savatage wrote:Not taking sides here - but Daniel Archer was known as "piggy" the moment he arrived at the club. He lost a lot of fat over the last couple of pre-seasons but he naturally tended to carry more weight than most.

I just thought I remembered him at training when he first arrived and looked slight then appeared in the NAB the next year and he looked as if Rooey had gone nuts on the donuts. Must have been someone else that I mistook for him. My memory has never been that sound to begin with so it's very possible I was wrong.

I was out with my wife and she was telling a story and I claimed I was there at the time only for her to say I wasn't even in the country at the time so I may have some form. I think I just heard her s*** story so many times i started to feel like I was there :)
Haha yeah I think you had him mixed up with someone else. He always looked like Roo going nuts on the donuts!!

On the second point, that's hilarious - but I think it happens to the best of us.