Illicit drug loophole - which club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thefatdork
Club Player

Illicit drug loophole - which club?

Hi All - not long now til those Sainters are playing again.

There have been a couple of articles in The Age about drug use by players and the fact that if players "self report" they don't get a "strike" and aren't tested. The articles reckon It is one club that is benefitting from this loophole.
Firstly, which club is it and which substances? This, not only let's players off but, as they don't get tested, they could confess to minor drug use but instead be 'roiding up like crazy.
Whilst I have a lot of sympathy for players with drug issues who need help and privacy, it is very unfortunate that this loophole is being misused to potentially gain advantage.
Secondly, is 3-strikes fair? I, personally, think it is reasonable in that it identifies players with potential drug issues and gives a couple of opportunities to get assistance going, away from the public glare.
Thoughts?
Here is a link to today's article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 2d9to.html
....The self-reporting of drug use by players, an issue predominantly surrounding one AFL club, is also of concern to club bosses. Players have confessed to accidentally taking drugs. By doing this, players escape a strike and are not tested. It is a loophole that could soon be closed or restricted to one admission per player.
''I am sure it will be looked at pretty seriously,'' Bartel said.
''If we can close it - and as far as public image and what people think AFL players get up to in their spare time becomes a lot more positive than what it is - I am all for that. Every loophole in any business or industry, there are always a couple of bad eggs who try and expose it. Things always get found out in the end, I think.''

Can't wait to see those Saints!!!
TFD

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Illicit drug loophole - which club?

Idiotic loophole that that clown Anderscum should've never let happen.

Glad Monkey Boy is gone

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There was one club President, and his CEO who had a bit to say about drugs in the AFL not all that long ago !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There was one club President, and his CEO who had a bit to say about drugs in the AFL not all that long ago !!

I have heard that 'wave of the hand - no words just a pointed look' a couple of times from commentators over the last 24 hours.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 2d9to.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

who is the presidento in question?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

thefatdork wrote:Firstly, which club is it and which substances? This, not only let's players off but, as they don't get tested, they could confess to minor drug use but instead be 'roiding up like crazy.
There's a difference between recreational drugs and performance-enhancing. I'm pretty sure the recreational tests are done by the AFL but the performance-enhancing tests are done by ASADA, so this "loophole" wouldn't actually exist.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:who is the presidento in question?
Ed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thefatdork
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
thefatdork wrote:Firstly, which club is it and which substances? This, not only let's players off but, as they don't get tested, they could confess to minor drug use but instead be 'roiding up like crazy.
There's a difference between recreational drugs and performance-enhancing. I'm pretty sure the recreational tests are done by the AFL but the performance-enhancing tests are done by ASADA, so this "loophole" wouldn't actually exist.

Thanks for that - I've checked and you are dead right.
ASADA administer the performance-enhancing testing - they proudly boast that they perform 500 tests in total per 12 months on AFL players. This includes in and out of competition testing.
TFD

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thefatdork wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Thanks for that - I've checked and you are dead right.
ASADA administer the performance-enhancing testing - they proudly boast that they perform 500 tests in total per 12 months on AFL players. This includes in and out of competition testing.
TFD
are you really a fat dork?

thefatdork
Club Player

That's the beauty of the Internet SaintPav - you can be anything you want to be.
What I definitely am though is a mad Sainter.
TFD

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thefatdork wrote:That's the beauty of the Internet SaintPav - you can be anything you want to be.
TFD
Pav knows this better than anyone :P

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
thefatdork wrote:That's the beauty of the Internet SaintPav - you can be anything you want to be.
TFD
Pav knows this better than anyone :P

At least I have a life Cairnsman. It’s not my fault I have a predilection for women's lingerie and enjoy wearing high heels and stockings while reading Saintsaitional.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There was one club President, and his CEO who had a bit to say about drugs in the AFL not all that long ago !!
The CEO is still carrying on about it....if it's their club then it's an AFL problem, if it's some other club then "that CEO" would say it's that particular clubs problem... :roll: :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

PR stunt on Pert;s behalf.
will sell more memberships to their bogan supporters if they think their "idols" are more like them.
Rumour has it that Buckley is booked in for some front teeth removal work!

Rosco
Club Player

it's pronounced "front teef"

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:PR stunt on Pert;s behalf.
will sell more memberships to their bogan supporters if they think their "idols" are more like them.
Rumour has it that Buckley is booked in for some front teeth removal work!
Tanya likes nose candy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ox said on SEN today that before the season starts a huge story with suggestion of drug abuse among players- the biggest ever in afl type stuff. Clubs and players will be named and will be huge. Hope for once it's not us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Ox said on SEN today that before the season starts a huge story with suggestion of drug abuse among players- the biggest ever in afl type stuff. Clubs and players will be named and will be huge. Hope for once it's not us.

OX says a lot of things. Most of which dont happen.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Ox said on SEN today that before the season starts a huge story with suggestion of drug abuse among players- the biggest ever in afl type stuff. Clubs and players will be named and will be huge. Hope for once it's not us.

True, but hopefully this is true as we need a decent footy story at the moment.

Need to wait for the stupid Oz Open to finish to clear the back pages firstly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

True, but hopefully this is true as we need a decent footy story at the moment.

Need to wait for the stupid Oz Open to finish to clear the back pages firstly.

I must say I have no idea how a story like that is a decent footy story. If it was true it seems like a very bad footy story whoever the club is.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

I went out on the 21st of December. It's fair to say I know one club which has about 5-6 players on the gear!
And 2 of these players REALLY shocked me.

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 wrote:I went out on the 21st of December. It's fair to say I know one club which has about 5-6 players on the gear!
And 2 of these players REALLY shocked me.

So they took gear in front of you? Now that makes sense with the days of I phones. Im sorry to say I cant beleive anyone would do that.

SAAD
Club Player

As long as it's not us then I don't care. Plenty of rumors going around people saying I saw this bloke and he looked off his head and so and so has big late night parties all the time at his apartment and blah blah. I have heard rumors about one of our players but the rest are about other clubs. Heard plenty of bogus rumors though so who really knows? Demetriou will cover up the big stories and stars he can't have another Benny Cousins, Brownlow winner and premiership player being found out as it sends the wrong message to the youth that you can be one of the best in the sport yet still take party drugs on the weekend or on the off season and still be one of the best superstars in the game. The Travis Tuck stories and Lawrence Angwin and those types of cases they'll blurt to the public but I highly doubt that they'll suspend superstars. But maybe one day it will all come out just like Lance Armstrong and them. Although it is a different scenario taking performance enhancers to party drugs.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:Although it is a different scenario taking performance enhancers to party drugs.
Yep, completely different. Truth is the majority of people can be productive members of society, even high achievers, when taking recreational drugs occasionally. Unfortunately the minority who have a problem have a really serious problem.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The loophole in the policy needs to be closed immediately. Any administrators found to be using the loophole need to be exposed and removed from the game. Any players using the loophole need to have any potential strikes added to their records. I think this whole sad story has now gone that far that the TRUTH needs to come out. To not allow/let the truth out now is only damaging the brands of the AFL and the Clubs !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!