Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

I actually think he is in our best 22. He is unassuming out there but is a lot better than most of us have considered. I have him in front of Gilbert to be honest.

So we have Dempster, Fisher, Roberton, Stanley, Geary, Simpkin, Gwilt, Siposs, Wright/Ray/Newnes. Thats before Gilberts name is thrown in there.

Obviously its very tough for spots back there, but with Gilbert, his kicking is just such a liability I feel he will be squeezed out - I'm sure Roo doesn't want him playing up the ground delivering into the fwdline...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Kernal75
Club Player

Re: Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

Didn't we just resign him for another 3 years? Would seem a strange choice if the coaches don't see him in our best 22. I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!

avid
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:Didn't we just resign him for another 3 years? Would seem a strange choice if the coaches don't see him in our best 22. I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!
He's been playing there through most of the pre-season, with a lot of energy and to pretty good effect. He cuts through, and wins the ball, and I think he's playing an important role. I wish he would/could kick with his right foot though.
Roberton, though, while I wish him well, doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same energy, or dash, presence as Gilbo. (And I haven't seen enough kicks to know whether he's much better kick than Gilbo anyway.)
For me, Gilbo's a long way ahead of Roberton at the moment.
Like Jones, Gilbo's got a big upside, and a big downside, and it's harder to put a clear value on him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote: I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!
That is what the NAB has shown. He is being played as a midfield/ utility.

While we all know about Gilbo's variable kicking, he is fast for his size, is a great runner in that he knows when and where to run, has very good endurance, has good hands, reads the play very well.

I think the coach has in mind that he will be an "everywhere" man dropping back in defense when need, but also providing run and dash in the midfield.

In the "old" days this would be wing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint-stu
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Kernal75 wrote: I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!
That is what the NAB has shown. He is being played as a midfield/ utility.

While we all know about Gilbo's variable kicking, he is fast for his size, is a great runner in that he knows when and where to run, has very good endurance, has good hands, reads the play very well.

I think the coach has in mind that he will be an "everywhere" man dropping back in defense when need, but also providing run and dash in the midfield.

In the "old" days this would be wing.

Yes I think he is much improved so far this preseason. Would love to see him get back to 2010 form, but so far this year he is looking really good in the new role.

I haven't played close attention to him, but I did notice a few nice kicks and wondered if he'd worked on it. He seemed to kick more slowly and carefully.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

Anyone know how tall Roberton is?

The saints site says 194, but google and the footlive app says 191.

If he's 191, it would be better to compare him to Simpkin? Maybe he's grown over the last few years.

1ac46a38
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He really impressed against Sydney- he looks plodding but is really good at reading the play like Simpkin. Has a funny running style that looks like he runs on his heels so looks lumbering but was rarely kept up with. Until Fisher came on he was our most effective defender. He was played pretty loose so was able to Goddard the ball a bit which probably helped his stats though.

Gilbert looks better away from defence where he is less exposed to turn overs that hurt. He is pretty good at getting the ball moving through traffic and closing in on players with the ball so could be an asset with some more experience.

SMS
Club Player

Gilbert on a wing moving forward is unstoppable. Ever met him? He is massive!! HUGE! and athletic. He misses targets now and then but he gets the ball and when he tackles he hurts the oppo. Its not all about kicking 100% efficiency!

Gilbert is top 18 make no mistake.

They guy tore pies a new one in 2010 and was a bounce from being a legend of grand finals.

Capable of winning games just wish he was A. given the chance OR B. 100% realised this himself.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He needs a haircut....

There, I contributed to the thread.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He needs a haircut....

There, I contributed to the thread.
:D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is a gun and is going to tear it up this season in a wing/midfield role

stinger
Saintsational Legend

there's room for both of them at the moment.....dempster has injury concerns

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping for a move to the wing in 2010... He has attributes and work rate

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I was hoping for a move to the wing in 2010... He has attributes and work rate

Lyon tried him there but always ended up shoring up the backline. He is a really hard running backman and difficult to match up because of his height. With the loss of Raph and Gram we are down two running back line ball carriers so he might end up back there if someone like Schniedes, Milera or another quick ball carrier can't slot in there. Roberton is probably there for that reason but seems a little less pacy than I would like- he's no heath Shaw. Rhys would mean we could have a rangy tall with pace in there but if he runs off his man too much we lose the FB stopper we need. It will be an interesting selection panel meeting for round one.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Signed for 3 years...

Not good.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Thought Roberton was excellent in the nab match v Melbourne, but he didn't have much opposition..

Gilbert is tracking very well this year, and will be back in our top 10 players by seasons end.. He's through all that s*** he went through..

He has incredible ball winning ability, strength in the contest and is absolutely fearless.. A lock for mine, and I like him on the wing..

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The last few games I have watched from ground level as opposed to my normal level 3 reserved seat and from this vantage point, watching Gilbo's attack on the ball and the man is incredible. He runs straight lines, attacks every contest with ferocity and tackles to hurt. Sure he isn't totally reliable with his kicking, but he is easily in our best 18 and probably in our top 10 most valuable players

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I rate Gilbert and Roberton and rate Gwilt highly but after watching the replay from yesterday I am worried good tall fwds will kick 10 against us.
there were numerous times gwilt was left one out with a high ball and he was smart enough to outplay his lesser opponent - but that wont happen against a gun tall fwd. hate to say it but we need stanley badly or were in strife.

PJ
SS Life Member

Robo runs and distributes well but I'm not sure he has a lock down game on talls yet and if Stanley is out we'll need him to do that.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wanted to trade him end of 2011

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Im unsure how Gilbert and Roberton play in the same side. Gilbert played HF against melbourne. Not sure he has a spot there in round one. He may be ok in round one on the wing because Joey is missing but I think he then goes back to HB. Roberton may struggle to play even if Gilbert is on the wing. It will depend on Simpkin and maybe Stanley. If neither plays he should be right round one. Also if Dempster is injured he will be right round one. Need to wait until after the next game.

So looking at that they actually can play together but I only see it very short term baring injury of course and also if they both play really well then they cant drop either. Actually forget all that.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

IMHO Sam is set for a huge year and will redeem himself.

- he is over the Duffy fiasco
- he has fixed the shoulder injury of 2011/2
- he knows better than play with a bad back like he did early in 2012
- his girlfriend has returned from Sydney and he is more settled

Once he gets his confidence back he will be unstoppable.

His kicking is more a reflection of his confidence.

By the way he hardly ever needs his right foot because in full flight he sells the dummy better than 99% of footballers.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:IMHO Sam is set for a huge year and will redeem himself.

- he is over the Duffy fiasco
- he has fixed the shoulder injury of 2011/2
- he knows better than play with a bad back like he did early in 2012
- his girlfriend has returned from Sydney and he is more settled

Once he gets his confidence back he will be unstoppable.

His kicking is more a reflection of his confidence.

By the way he hardly ever needs his right foot because in full flight he sells the dummy better than 99% of footballers.
I am of a very similar opinion.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i hope you guys are right coz I really don't see it... happy to be wrong as I initially thought he would be closer to elite than being delisted at the end of 2013

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone see Gilbert have a running shot on goal with his RIGHT FOOT against Melbourne.....it missed but it wasn't awkward looking....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.