Daniel Rich

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Daniel Rich

...comes out of contract end of this season and he played under Watters at Subiaco. He's not an "A grade" mid yet however I believe he has the potential to be. Wonder whether we'll make a play for him at seasons' end??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Rich

He will be A Grade by years end IMO.

He won't leave, if he does it won be down here

busso mick
Club Player

He might be tempted, Mitch Clark was all but wearing a Dockers jumper before Melbourne waved big coin in his face. After losing Goddard we will be cashed up and courting players in the trade period. It's too early to say if he will head back west, if he doesn't re-sign with the Lions.

defacto
Club Player

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:...comes out of contract end of this season and he played under Watters at Subiaco. He's not an "A grade" mid yet however I believe he has the potential to be. Wonder whether we'll make a play for him at seasons' end??
if you actually followed subi when scotty was there and rich you will know we have buckleys chance.

rich is a loyal kid. will stay at the lions and captain them one day.

loris
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:...comes out of contract end of this season and he played under Watters at Subiaco. He's not an "A grade" mid yet however I believe he has the potential to be. Wonder whether we'll make a play for him at seasons' end??
if you actually followed subi when scotty was there and rich you will know we have buckleys chance.

rich is a loyal kid. will stay at the lions and captain them one day.
Didn't Rich's family move across to Qld to be with him in his first year? I can recall his sister was still in Perth, boarding to finish out her final school year, and his mother was back & forward between the two states that year. I don't know if family are still in Qld......... if they are and they did sound a very close unit I think he might be hard to prise from the banana bender State.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Geez with the cash, Roo, Kosi and Lenny free up at years end when they retire, I imagine we'll be in a position to chase a few big fish!!

Rich wouldn't be one of those in IMO

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Rich would certainly be worth some coin, great player, but i reckon he has toughed out some lean years at the lions & now their on the rise, he would probably stay
Dont forget Buddy will be up for grabs

Seeya
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Should have got maloney for next to nothing. Also pettard and gyberts were cheap. As for future A grade. We will need to start on gws and gc for there mids

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Should have got maloney for next to nothing. Also pettard and gyberts were cheap. As for future A grade. We will need to start on gws and gc for there mids

What does Maloney do for us. We are on our way down. So we win an axtra game but dont get games into young guys. No idea why we would want Pettard or Gyberts.

kimberly saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:Should have got maloney for next to nothing. Also pettard and gyberts were cheap. As for future A grade. We will need to start on gws and gc for there mids

What does Maloney do for us. We are on our way down. So we win an axtra game but dont get games into young guys. No idea why we would want Pettard or Gyberts.
could win mark of the year with pettard, players would get good coin for there end of season trip out of it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is any player over 20 not worth a shot??

Why did we take the following from other clubs??
Farren Ray, Jason Gram, Adam Schnieder, Steven King, Luke Penny, Brett Guerra, Steven Powell, Heath Black, Aaron Fiora, Sean Dempster, Brett Voss, Clint Jones, Michael Gardiner, Zac Dawson and so on...

They add to your list talent or experience, and therefore improve it.

It is arguable that these are the people who were able to get us into contention as much as Draft Picks

Some absolute rejects there... In 2002 we were terrible
2 years later we were in a prelim
In 2007 we were average..... 2 years later we were in a GF

List management is a two pronged process..... Getting the right talent in, and trading for the right holes

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I did not see the game live, I was camping, but when i returned to watch the game on replay on Foxtel, one thing stood out for me. Clearances / centre breaks. At one stage we were 7-0 in there favour. This area we were smashed, and a guy like Maloney would have helped, and was cheap at trade table.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Is any player over 20 not worth a shot??

Farren Ray, Jason Gram, Adam Schnieder, Steven King, Luke Penny, Brett Guerra, Steven Powell, Heath Black, Aaron Fiora, Sean Dempster, Brett Voss, Clint Jones, Michael Gardiner, Zac Dawson and so on...

It is arguable that these are the people who were able to get us into contention as much as Draft Picks

List management is a two pronged process..... Getting the right talent in, and trading for the right holes
Making the Prelim and the GF was on the back of our top draft picks, with Roo, Goddard, Ball etc. with the help of trades from other clubs to fill voids. That was 10 years ago. The draft choices after then were to win a GF but we failed for what ever reason.
Now we either bottom out to get those draft picks again, or trade and draft smarty.
The issue with trading is that our good older players are getting too old to trade for something decent and we dont want to trade our good younger players.
Either way there is some pain ahead and probably for some time

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Is any player over 20 not worth a shot??

Making the Prelim and the GF was on the back of our top draft picks, with Roo, Goddard, Ball etc. with the help of trades from other clubs to fill voids. That was 10 years ago. The draft choices after then were to win a GF but we failed for what ever reason.
Now we either bottom out to get those draft picks again, or trade and draft smarty.
The issue with trading is that our good older players are getting too old to trade for something decent and we dont want to trade our good younger players.
Either way there is some pain ahead and probably for some time

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

How far down plugger do you think we will go??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's funny how Pettard and Gysberts both found new homes... At clubs that'll finish above Stk

Both will add something to their new homes.....

Question is, do those players offer more than the people selected instead?!

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

BigMart wrote:It's funny how Pettard and Gysberts both found new homes... At clubs that'll finish above Stk

Only time will tell, but I believe Gysberts will be a player. Just that he and Moloney didnt get along with Neeld and his game plan

defacto
Club Player

i'd rather raid GWS/GC or another club for some quality mids. 21 or younger.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

defacto wrote:i'd rather raid GWS/GC or another club for some quality mids. 21 or younger.
So do I, but I was pointly out that the players mention went cheap, and could have helped our cause.
Raiding GWS and GC wont come so cheaply.

defacto
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:
defacto wrote:i'd rather raid GWS/GC or another club for some quality mids. 21 or younger.
So do I, but I was pointly out that the players mention went cheap, and could have helped our cause.
and what dragging rich out would?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:

I think GWS and GCS should both struggle to keep guys on the fringes of their teams so should be cheap. They won't give up Toby Greene, Cameron, Patton etc. but with no real culture or history and a frontier environment they will be pressured by the cap. If the other clubs offer tempting money and spots tied by an elite first intake the fringes should be easy to extract.

They will have plenty of guys that are solid with massive upside.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
BigMart wrote:It's funny how Pettard and Gysberts both found new homes... At clubs that'll finish above Stk

Only time will tell, but I believe Gysberts will be a player. Just that he and Moloney didnt get along with Neeld and his game plan
I also think Gysberts will be a player and was one we shouldve targeted if for nothing else he will add quality IMO to rotations.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

petterd rivers and gisberts were a strange lot to let go. All were good players a couple of years ago.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

8 & 13 disposals so far this year… he aint A grade yet that is for sure, we'd be calling for his head if he was with us.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

What does his contract have to do with anything? He's not old enough for FA, so the only way we get him for nothing is if we finish bottom and he nominates for the PSD. If we trade, then Brisbane will ask for a lot and I see no reason not to just keep the assets and build with them. Rich is a nice player, not amazing. Decent contested ball player and excellent long kick. I'm not sure I want to build my team around him though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive