We need a powerful Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MrCordz
Club Player

We need a powerful Cheer Squad

The first thing people see when they see a goal or think of supporters is the cheer squad image.
I respect all of those who currently partake and this is not a criticism of them individually for all the passion and effort they clearly put in.
But... If we want to increase membership and seem like a club verging on being a power club we need to look at the shambles our cheer squad is in.
I'm reminded of the Footscray Cheer squad if the early 80's when I see the Saints squad after a goal. 4 men and a dog waving old shaggy banners.
The Saints if they think intelligently should be putting money into making that squad more powerful - such an important public part of the club look like we are successful rather than a rag tag group of mum's and kids. No offence to those involved because I respect your efforts but this is an image issue - and a BIG one - anyone who believes this does not impact the way the club is perceived by ours and opposition supporters is dreaming. It is a 100+ year old heritage of the Aussie rules culture - we ignore it at our peril. Strong following behind the goals encourages members far more than needy looking ones. Even if we pay 50 18 year olds something each week to wave a flag come up with new chants and seem like an army! That creates Passion!!!

Humbly St. Kilda
oh when the
Club Player

Re: We need a powerful Cheer Squad

the cheer squad has not been the same
since the club took alot of control and added costs
to its members they took away the fun, as they have done
with many volunteer groups over the years.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

MrCordz wrote:The first thing people see when they see a goal or think of supporters is the cheer squad image.
I respect all of those who currently partake and this is not a criticism of them individually for all the passion and effort they clearly put in.
But... If we want to increase membership and seem like a club verging on being a power club we need to look at the shambles our cheer squad is in.
I'm reminded of the Footscray Cheer squad if the early 80's when I see the Saints squad after a goal. 4 men and a dog waving old shaggy banners.
The Saints if they think intelligently should be putting money into making that squad more powerful - such an important public part of the club look like we are successful rather than a rag tag group of mum's and kids. No offence to those involved because I respect your efforts but this is an image issue - and a BIG one - anyone who believes this does not impact the way the club is perceived by ours and opposition supporters is dreaming. It is a 100+ year old heritage of the Aussie rules culture - we ignore it at our peril. Strong following behind the goals encourages members far more than needy looking ones. Even if we pay 50 18 year olds something each week to wave a flag come up with new chants and seem like an army! That creates Passion!!!
Yeah this is a huge issue - the tolets also need 2 ply toilet tissue and the sauce sachets always seem to run out in the third quarter! Massive issues each and evry one of them! :roll:

Look again it's the Flash!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LSF - come on buddy what a patronizing response.

How come its our home game and yet our CS is tiny compared to Richmond?

It makes us sound and look weak as supporters.

I assume you never went to game where the crowd helped get the team over the line.

It felt like we were playing interstate last night. Hardly any support.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I agree the cheer squad was woeful. I have been treated extremely poorly by the club this year on one occasion, after an email to the club three weeks ago I am still yet to receive a response. It is clear that they are not considering their fans or haven't in a lot of scenarios, maybe we are a fickle bunch but I guess there isn't much to be proud of lately.

There is a definite correlation between the games when we cop disgraceful umpiring and the extremely onesided crowd also. Anyone who says that it doesn't influence umpires decisions are mad. Well thats enough from me.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That would be the very least of StK concerns

The on field would be just a touch more important

Skildir
Club Player

Would help if members with reserved tickets actually turned up.

noob
Club Player

and that stupid chant goal wo wo woo.. lol.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Forget about the cheer squad, there was bugger all supporters there and it was our home game. Next year expect one Friday night game, no home games at the G, crap fixtures all round and dont complain. we deserve it. We are nearlt the smallest Victorian AFL club. it is that simple.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Whilst i'd like to see a larger more dynamic cheer squad , I do believe they should organised by the clubs and have a cut of age of 30 !
I think its pathetic to see 50 year olds wearing gold jackets !

In red white and black from 73
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i know they do a a good job
they travel every game to every state ffs
how loyal is that??????!!!!!!!

they do the best they can with the numbers they have people

but

when you see the tiges hold up their banner and then us hold up ours you have to wonder....do they need more help???? more coin????

always_a_saint
Club Player

I went to the game with a Richmond supporter and they commented a few times about how the area with saints supporters (I assume this was the reserved seating area) was almost empty and basically no cheering or sound was coming from there and they actually said 'I would estimate 20% of those people are asleep right now'. And also the fact that we were sittings on level 4 behind the saints cheersquad and couldn't hear them at all, yet we could hear the Richmond one.

So that's the kind of impression our supporters give I guess. We only piped up and made some noise when we were 4 points down in the last quarter.

will always be a saint...no matter what.

bring home that premiership boys
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the club needs to do more to influence people to not only join but to sit there.

Look at Richmond's last night. It was great.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

always_a_saint wrote:I went to the game with a Richmond supporter and they commented a few times about how the area with saints supporters (I assume this was the reserved seating area) was almost empty and basically no cheering or sound was coming from there and they actually said 'I would estimate 20% of those people are asleep right now'. And also the fact that we were sittings on level 4 behind the saints cheersquad and couldn't hear them at all, yet we could hear the Richmond one.

So that's the kind of impression our supporters give I guess. We only piped up and made some noise when we were 4 points down in the last quarter.
Agree, was at the game and some bloke had come down to watch after half time (from the bar) and couldn't get over our pathetic crowd. They were joking we must have all left early out of disgust.

If replying to a supporter is the least of our problems, well, there lies the problem. Strength through loyalty all that crap yet the loyalty is never a two way street.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Whilst i'd like to see a larger more dynamic cheer squad , I do believe they should organised by the clubs and have a cut of age of 30 !
And there-in lies the problem.

How many 18 year olds want to hang out with 50 year olds?

And when the 50 year olds are the ones running things......even more so. While this remains the status quo, the StKilda Cheer Squad will always remain a "Sunday School."

Just as the team needs renewal, so does the Cheers Squad. If they want to still be involved in some way then they should form a new group, a separate group. Cheers Squad Seniors, Granny Squad or whatever including maybe a coterie group..The core Cheer Squad should be for youth and young-ish adults.

Doing the banners etc should be like a baton and passed on....from one "generation" to the next.

When we were in the Grand Finals the "rorting" over tickets showed that the older brigade had lost the plot, and is why the club stepped in.

An age-cap should be brought in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MrCordz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:Whilst i'd like to see a larger more dynamic cheer squad , I do believe they should organised by the clubs and have a cut of age of 30 !
And there-in lies the problem.

How many 18 year olds want to hang out with 50 year olds?

And when the 50 year olds are the ones running things......even more so. While this remains the status quo, the StKilda Cheer Squad will always remain a "Sunday School."

Just as the team needs renewal, so does the Cheers Squad. If they want to still be involved in some way then they should form a new group, a separate group. Cheers Squad Seniors, Granny Squad or whatever including maybe a coterie group..The core Cheer Squad should be for youth and young-ish adults.

Doing the banners etc should be like a baton and passed on....from one "generation" to the next.

When we were in the Grand Finals the "rorting" over tickets showed that the older brigade had lost the plot, and is why the club stepped in.

An age-cap should be brought in.
It is a Sunday School - The importance of this in the big picture is far than many appreciate. Its the first thing kids see when they go to the footy.

Humbly St. Kilda
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we that silly to believe that supporter presence at a game has ANY bearing on outcome?!

Or is that a fans way of thinking they played their part in the victory.... By watching. Seriously!

The club benefits financially, from supporters paying money. Does not effect the game whatsoever....

Performances influence crowds not visa versa.... When your actually playing.... You don't really ever notice much beyond the boundary.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are we that silly to believe that supporter presence at a game has ANY bearing on outcome?!
Disagree. Otherwise home ground advantage would matter naught. But it does, in all sports, all over the world.

Our fan group seems aging, lazy and scarcely creates real noise. Last night was a prime example.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are we that silly to believe that supporter presence at a game has ANY bearing on outcome?!

Or is that a fans way of thinking they played their part in the victory.... By watching. Seriously!

The club benefits financially, from supporters paying money. Does not effect the game whatsoever....

Performances influence crowds not visa versa.... When your actually playing.... You don't really ever notice much beyond the boundary.

Have you played in fron of 50k? My guess is no. Even at local footy it helps having a crowd on your side even if it is 1 or 2 percent.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Who really cares about the cheer squad....

I wouldn't care if we didn't have one....

Maybe the drafting for the cheer squad has been as bad as the drafting for the team.... :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Skildir
Club Player

I have no doubt that a big, rabid crowd can influence umpires.

lefty
Club Player

That was a s*** house effort by our supporters. In a way, it would of been better if it wasn't on TV, just to get you lazy pricks to the game.

For our first home game, new season, big hype, where were you all? Jumped off the bandwagon?

I reckon if we had more supporters there it would of influenced all of Richmonds BS free kicks. The ones that went did their best, but seriously, can't sit there and listen to the Tiger supporters whinge about Armo's free kick in the forward fifty which was clearly there, and our only one.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I don't like Friday Night games at the "G" .

In fact, I don't like night games at all....

hence, I don't go to every game like I used to

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Skildir wrote:Would help if members with reserved tickets actually turned up.
Yes agree to that comment................. why bag the cheer squad, when the average Saints member or supporter won't turn up?

It riles me when I read on this site that people will only go to games at that manufactured stadium the other side of town to the 'G' because it has a roof on........... won't expose themselves to the elements of 'G' or Geelong etc. Or won't go if they have to sit near opposition supporters. What marshmellows some members/supporters becoming these days. :x

In defence of members of the Cheer Squad........... at least they go along and support their team, Good luck to them and the work they do. :P

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP. Image is perception.