Umps did a great job ..!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Umps did a great job ..!!!

Reckon the Umps had a great game tonight letting some touchy frees go and let each team go hard at the footy. Reminded me of watching footy from about 5 years ago ... :)

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umps did a great job ..!!!

No they were too confused by the rule changes.

Hickey should've got pinged 3 times for holding the ball in defence in the third.

I think also Armo dived on the ball near the city wing and made contact below the knees. The ump hesitated and was about to pay too high but must've thought maybe against for a dive, in the end play on.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Greg T
Club Player

Middo wrote:Reckon the Umps had a great game tonight letting some touc
hy frees go and let each team go hard at the footy. Reminded me of watching footy from about 5 years ago ... :)
That aspect was ok,but watching from home I thought they were poor for both sides.
Didn't protect the man much, and still some shitty free kick s in front of goal....grrrrrrrr

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Middo
Club Player

I really thought they let the game flow instead of picking out dodgy free kicks , alot better than the previous 6 rounds ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Middo wrote:Reckon the Umps had a great game tonight letting some touchy frees go and let each team go hard at the footy. Reminded me of watching footy from about 5 years ago ... :)
Bar a couple clangers in 1qrt I think they did a great job. hope this continues.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

first time this year i felt they showed some consistancy ... the interpritation of what was a free was set early and they kept that the whole game through . to me thats the thing that kills footy for me when the umps play some but not others last night they let it go and only called the obvious ones ... Razor Ray in my opinion likes to make it about him but all in all the umps were pretty good last night

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The umpires job is to follow the rules.

In this regard, they were absolutely appalling.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:The umpires job is to follow the rules.

After a player has disposed of the ball and then gets flattened (eg Betts on Wright), I was of the opinion that a 50 metre penalty should be paid. If paid in the Wright case, a certain goal to StKFC. - so why wasn't it paid.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:

After a player has disposed of the ball and then gets flattened (eg Betts on Wright), I was of the opinion that a 50 metre penalty should be paid. If paid in the Wright case, a certain goal to StKFC. - so why wasn't it paid.

No way its a certain goal to us but we did get a goal and that is certain. No 50. Should have just been a free and play on advantage.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:

No way its a certain goal to us but we did get a goal and that is certain. No 50. Should have just been a free and play on advantage.
So this rule no longer applies ?...If a player is tackled high or held after disposal, the attacking team receives the greater penalty of either the downfield free kick or a 50 metre penalty from where the infringement occurred.

I know he wasn't tackled bit it was high and impeded his progress.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:

Plugger, I thought you consider yourself an expert at everything, particularly the rules. Are you saying that a player can be flattened after disposing (kicking) the ball and no penalty applies, either 50 metres or free kick down the field?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:

So this rule no longer applies ?...If a player is tackled high or held after disposal, the attacking team receives the greater penalty of either the downfield free kick or a 50 metre penalty from where the infringement occurred.

I know he wasn't tackled bit it was high and impeded his progress.

If they are running on to be part of the next play. The umpire didnt see it obviously but to me he wasnt running on to be part of the next play. The worst thing that could of happened was a 50 in hindsight just like the free to Saad when Ray had it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:

Plugger, I thought you consider yourself an expert at everything, particularly the rules. Are you saying that a player can be flattened after disposing (kicking) the ball and no penalty applies, either 50 metres or free kick down the field?

No im not saying that. I have answered it in the previous post.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

[Plugger wrote ;
If they are running on to be part of the next play. The umpire didnt see it obviously but to me he wasnt running on to be part of the next play. The worst thing that could of happened was a 50 in hindsight just like the free to Saad when Ray had it.[/quote]

Surely he seen it ? he was 5-10m away officiating that play...are you saying he (RAZOR) is blind ? if so,can' argue that.
Wright disposed of it and kept running in same direction (following up his h/b)....fair chance he may have been heading to the next play. Never changes direction.
Tha last bit of your comment is pointless really.
He should have blown the whistle.

RAZOR is a terrible ump...the sooner the little 5 steps to the metre ballerina prissie pants knobber looka me ,looka me is relieved of his umpiring duties the better footy will be. IMO.
Last edited by 35...LEGEND on Wed 15 May 2013 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They were better and the letting the game roll is good. I still blame the rule committee -they have a new OCD rule interpretation that they must over pay every week. They don't know how to fit Bartlett's 70000 obsessive rules into one game so try to make a call every 2 seconds usually. Then their bookmaker financiers won't pay for their holidays if they don't help the results.

Funny how no one knows if it's high contact or getting in low - so now they don't pay them. Goodes can boot studs slide at legs when ever he likes though.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe that people who saw a near certain goal taken off Farren Ray because the umpire blew his whistle are upset that he didn't blow the whistle and potentially stop our best passage of play for the night which ended up with a Milne goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
35...LEGEND
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:I can't believe that people who saw a near certain goal taken off Farren Ray because the umpire blew his whistle are upset that he didn't blow the whistle and potentially stop our best passage of play for the night which ended up with a Milne goal.
In no way am I upset he never blew the whistle,was a great team goal....just saying a half decent ump would/should have paid something......what happened after the event is irrelevant to what i'm on about.