About time..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

About time..

Nick Riewoldt for 12 yrs has been nothing but magnificent both on the field and off it. He along with a few others have completely changed the culture and the mindset of this club. Now I've always felt that fans from other clubs and media circles have underestimated his career. Here is a guy that led the league in marks in his first full year at Afl level and also won the B&f. And has been the clubs best player during its most successful period,in my lifetime anyway.

I think since he cried that night at the Gabba people in the football world have been quick to jump off him and they love to use that he didnt perform on GF day, he was very good in that drawn Gf,that game had close to 200 tackles combined, he was the best Tall forward on the ground 2.3 8 marks 16 disposals is a very good effort for a team who had less the 40 inside 50s..

Well this yr it's like everyone has woke up and a just celebrating this wonderful player and the career he has had, and yr is having the best CHF since Wayne Carey I have no doubts about that,for consistency ability to win Finals and games off his own will and desire to be the very best he can be.

Last thought. I remember in 08 when we were terrible that yr, but 1 man lifted us off the canvas and dragged us into the top 4 the amount of games he won for us that yr and the final against the pies will always be my Favourite yr he played. And now not just a few but the whole football world are just starting to see what 90% on here have always seen, a legendary footballer who has been at the elite level in the toughest position on the ground for over a decade.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: About time..

Shame Mike Sheahan has retired, but I doubt he would admit to being proven wrong anyway.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Bloody amen!

Well thought out post and top job for making me reminisce with you.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Well this yr it's like everyone has woke up…
This year he is averaging more marks per match than any other year and 3 goals/game, (just behind 2009)

I don't think we forgot how good he is/has been, but lets not pretend that he hasn't been well down on his best (or carrying an injury) for nearly 2 years.

I can't get over his return to "unbeatable" this year though, just awe-inspiring.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

dragit wrote:
This year he is averaging more marks per match than any other year and 3 goals/game, (just behind 2009)

I don't think we forgot how good he is/has been, but lets not pretend that he hasn't been well down on his best (or carrying an injury) for nearly 2 years.

I can't get over his return to "unbeatable" this year though, just awe-inspiring.

1 average yr. he was on his way to 60 goals if he didn't do his knee last yr.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
dragit wrote:

1 average yr. he was on his way to 60 goals if he didn't do his knee last yr.
Not unless he suddenly had doubled his goal average for 3 matches…

I'm not saying he has been bad, but down on his best which is unbelievable.

This gives you a good idea of how each year compares to one another…
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?P ... ing%20Desc
2013 so far right up there, followed by 2009 then 2004…
2011 & 12 right down the list.

Anyway, I agree with you, he is a champion and it is wonderful to see him back to 'best in the comp' status

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The best part about his form this year is the strong marking is back. He seemed to lose the confidence last season, despite being in good general form.

And I guess new strategies within the team have given him more one on one. He only needs that two second gap on the defender and they can't spoil.

savatage
SS Life Member

I think his overhead marking is back & I think it's been missing for a while. Great to see his resurgence. Hope he keeps it up & hopefully we give the opposition enough to think about with other emerging players so he doesn't have to cop double teaming every weekend.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

every time he is mentioned at work the cry baby comments still come up

muppets

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:every time he is mentioned at work the cry baby comments still come up

muppets
Yeah I have had that crap to, mind you the one toss pot that says it to me is a fool at the best of times and injects himself into conversations to make that comment.

I reckon they would be crying if they had to take 1 minute of the crap roo deals with

I love this club
savatage
SS Life Member

Yeah he's a crybaby - yet Goddard is somehow a hero for crying after playing the Saints.

I tell you one thing, if Aaron Hamill started crying after playing the blues in Saints colours - I'd have wanted the prick gone!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the guy who always mentions it to me is actually a mate crows member (well the misses is) but has prob been to one game in two years and might watch on the telly if he has nothing to do at home

i like to call him

Semi Armchair

anyhoo
how good is the capt
career best form
gun
will be what? 6th time B&F if he plucks it this year??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:This gives you a good idea of how each year compares to one another…
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?P ... ing%20Desc
2013 so far right up there, followed by 2009 then 2004…
2011 & 12 right down the list.

Anyway, I agree with you, he is a champion and it is wonderful to see him back to 'best in the comp' status
Interesting to note that his worst rating there is against Adelaide. With quality defenders in Rutten and Talia, it's a massive task for him this week.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hope im seriously wrong and get called on it
but cant see him having a massive game again this week
tahlia plays well on him and its prob going to be slippery and dewy, skills and delivery wont be the same as it was monday on a dry track with no wind

gee i hope im wrong and he wins the game for us

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:hope im seriously wrong and get called on it
tahlia plays well on him and its prob going to be slippery and dewy, skills and delivery wont be the same as it was monday on a dry track with no wind
Not being a bit melodramatic are we fella? It sounds like a lovely day for footy  :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Dr the weather over here changes friggin daily on the 5 and 7 day forcast ahead thingy

lets hope its melodramiticness dr
i get a bit antsy when it comes to playing the Fruit Tingles over here

and im worried that peeps expect the same level of skill and disposal this sun out in the upon coming on late evening as they do under a closed roofed stadium

better check th mail today for some tickets i guess huh :shock:

GRAMophone
Club Player

Mmmmmm......this discussion gets me fired up every time. Roo gets assaulted practically every time he takes a mark, driven into the ground and frequently tangled in significant head clashes. The way he drags himself up off the turf is awe inspiring.Any imbecilic moron who thinks less of a man who has been known to shed a tear should have a good hard look at themselves :evil: :evil:

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
stevie
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:hope im seriously wrong and get called on it

gee i hope im wrong and he wins the game for us
Um, the conditions in Welling ton v Shitney Swanshaggers were wet and crappy. Roo was BOG that game

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah
so?
the conditions were shite in a grand final in 09 and he wasnt BOG that day

im talking team over all
with the best ball user out (hayes) and prob the second best (schneids) out i worry about delivery

tis all im saying

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

deleted
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 15 May 2013 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wtf are you on about now??

in fact save your breath
ive got to go out

70s sainter
Club Player

Hallalj#3 wrote:Nick Riewoldt for 12 yrs has been nothing but magnificent both on the field and off it. He along with a few others have completely changed the culture and the mindset of this club. Now I've always felt that fans from other clubs and media circles have underestimated his career. Here is a guy that led the league in marks in his first full year at Afl level and also won the B&f. And has been the clubs best player during its most successful period,in my lifetime anyway.

I think since he cried that night at the Gabba people in the football world have been quick to jump off him and they love to use that he didnt perform on GF day, he was very good in that drawn Gf,that game had close to 200 tackles combined, he was the best Tall forward on the ground 2.3 8 marks 16 disposals is a very good effort for a team who had less the 40 inside 50s..

Well this yr it's like everyone has woke up and a just celebrating this wonderful player and the career he has had, and yr is having the best CHF since Wayne Carey I have no doubts about that,for consistency ability to win Finals and games off his own will and desire to be the very best he can be.

Last thought. I remember in 08 when we were terrible that yr, but 1 man lifted us off the canvas and dragged us into the top 4 the amount of games he won for us that yr and the final against the pies will always be my Favourite yr he played. And now not just a few but the whole football world are just starting to see what 90% on here have always seen, a legendary footballer who has been at the elite level in the toughest position on the ground for over a decade.
Ive noticed the same thing this year. theres nothing like the re emergance of a star to get people excited. Its become the latest trend in the media to talk Reiwoldt up. Once one starts , they all jump on board.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:every time he is mentioned at work the cry baby comments still come up

muppets
yeh i had to deal that s*** as well.. then came the nude pic bulls***.... was getting over it... as i tell everyone that has a crack.. you wouldn't want him playing on your team? then they shut up.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Siposstar#2
Club Player

Sitting in the waiting room waiting for my MRI reading this thread and in he walks for his weekly jab on the knee. That was weird.
Bit angry I don't get express service like him though :P

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

muppets

Any time this happens you should break the persons shoulder then while there on their way to hospital punch their arm a couple of times , just to test it !

In red white and black from 73