Why have we escaped media scrutiny?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Why have we escaped media scrutiny?

I don't devour the papers everyday but it seems that we aren't rating a mention in the press compared to Melbourne, Dogs, Lions, even North Melbourne. I even struggle to find detailed reports of our games. We've been as crap as these other teams. Why are we being let off?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why have we escaped media scrutiny?

Because we squeezed the life out of the list, remained competitive for an awfully long time, and it's a natural decline

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I reckon its just about our turn. Brace Yourselves.

Or, we could be lucky and escape for now if EITHER of the DRUG SCANDALS consumes the media this week !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern is right. It's coming

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Because there's no alternative.

It's not as if we could be better. It's not as if we should be better. I think we are at, where everyone thinks we should be. So there's nothing really for the media to scrutinise. It is what it is!

From my personal perspective, I wouldn't expect to see any significant improvement until 2015.

By then, we'll pretty much have the list that will take us into the future. At that point you expect to see signs that that list is going to be good enough to compete for the top 4. Until then, we're watching dudes that we all know aren't good enough and other dudes that won't be there in 1-2 years, plus a sprinkling of kids that we hope will be part of the future.

So what is occurring now isn't really even worth commenting on.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

it will come ... and we will see how much we have grown as a club over the last era in the way we deal with it ... if we bow down panic and start swinging the axe then it becomes obvious somewhat success taught us nothing and we will continue to be the St Kilda of old ... if we take it in talk of the improvement in the kids the experiance the team are gaining and how the future is looking bright then we will show that we have finally matured as a club and belong back in the mix soon enough

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

We havent had our arse handed to us on a plate in any game yet which helps.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

How can a club mature?

The people that were there, and involved 10 years ago have nothing to do with the club now. The people that were there 30 years ago have nothing to do with it. The people that were there 50 years ago are dead.

Clubs don't mature. They just happen to fluke getting good people at the club at the right time across the whole club.

Administrators can look good when the on-field team is good. And the very same administrators can look bad when the on-field team performs poorly.

Coaches can look good when they have a good team, and can look very bad when they have a bad team.

And vice versa, coaches and Administrators can look good when when things are going poorly, but can then look bad when the team starts flying.

I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, culture or any of those old outdated footy myths. I think it all comes down to good fortune, and getting good administrators, good coaches and good players at the club at the right time. And hoping that it doesn't happen to coincide with another club getting slightly better administrators, coaches and players at their club at the same time!
Last edited by Johnny Member on Mon 27 May 2013 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:We havent had our arse handed to us on a plate in any game yet which helps.
I think our arse is just sitting in the bain-marie as we speak :D

Drew Petrie is down at Myer today looking for a really nice platter, he'll bring it on Sunday.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i disagree , a club can 100% mature ... we go through tough periods and learn from the erros made by the predecesors ... yes quallity people make the differance but its also the maturity as a club to identify who are the quallity people to improve the club .... in the past we have let the media and public opinion dictate what we should do as a club we have a history of indecision followed up with wrong decision ... a show of our club maturing is the fact we resolved the Lyon quiting issue with class we dealt with the Gram issue with quick and sufficant action , we have learnt from the mistakes of the past instead of generations of repeating them over and over again

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I don't devour the papers everyday but it seems that we aren't rating a mention in the press compared to Melbourne, Dogs, Lions, even North Melbourne. I even struggle to find detailed reports of our games. We've been as crap as these other teams. Why are we being let off?
Melbourne and the Dogs (apart from Sat) have been far worse than us.

If the club needs negative media to get its arse into gear then I'd be really worried. We have enough problems and we don't need it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Because we have always been the media darlings.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i disagree , a club can 100% mature ... we go through tough periods and learn from the erros made by the predecesors ... yes quallity people make the differance but its also the maturity as a club to identify who are the quallity people to improve the club .... in the past we have let the media and public opinion dictate what we should do as a club we have a history of indecision followed up with wrong decision ... a show of our club maturing is the fact we resolved the Lyon quiting issue with class we dealt with the Gram issue with quick and sufficant action , we have learnt from the mistakes of the past instead of generations of repeating them over and over again

The club didn't resolve the Lyon quitting issue - people did. They dealt with it based on experiences in their non-footy professional lives, and in some cases from their experiences from other clubs.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Our time will come..................we will get even worse yet....

we have gone over the cliff edge but are clinging to rock ledge on the way down.................that grip wiLL slip.

saint4life
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Eastern is right. It's coming
Yep if we dont win one in the next couple of weeks we will cop it, I am suprised the media have left our coach alone. I think we have not been targeted only because melbournes crapness, tanking and the bumbers druggies have deflected the media attention from us, but it will come

I love this club
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I guess all media had written us off so in that regard we are playing to expectation - 12th - 15th.

I think it would only be Saints fans that might be surprised about how we are going.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

probably because the journos are rolling around the office floor laughing at what gets written here
they dont need to write anything "nasty" about the saints

Seeya
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We're very lucky Carlton couldn't finish the job against us. If we were sitting 1-8, having lost to an absolute rabble in the Bulldogs then we'd be under much more scrutiny.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I think most media experts expected us to fall away. What they will scrutinise more is our off season recruiting and our ability too address our weaknesses.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I don't get why the OP has asked the question? We have spent most recent seasons with the media pack just sitting waiting for the next juicy issue to go to town on us, irrelevant of accuracy. I for one am very happy to have them leave us alone for a little while.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Dont think its coming unless we lose by 100 or lose to the Dees. Even then it would be light. 1 year on the down really, if we are still here 2015 season then things will start to pop up.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

From what I hear Neeld has one more game against Hawthorn and then he is sacked.

So next week it will be Melbourne again.

Then after that drugs

Then after that the bye

Maybe in July the media will get around to calling for Watters head.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I don't think that we have lost a game by 10 goals plus since 2002 (down at Geelong). If I'm right then that's remarkable. However I think we may this week. Then the media will be on us.

Kernal75
Club Player

Probably because the media understands exactly the shape we're in and that the coach can't fix everything in 18 months.
I expect next year, in the last year of SW's contract that some pressure will come if we haven't at least made "progress"

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I don't think that we have lost a game by 10 goals plus since 2002 (down at Geelong). If I'm right then that's remarkable. However I think we may this week. Then the media will be on us.
May 10th, 2010
Carlton 129
St Kilda 68

I'm sure there's more as well, I just remember that game clearly, because I hate the pigs!!!