WATTERS is hiding behind youth development !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

WATTERS is hiding behind youth development !

The start of that game was diabolical and it is no one else fault but his own. It is his job to prepare the players mentally and physically for the game and they came out looking like confused netballers! Too many of our senior players look disinterested and of the remainder they dont believe they can win!

He has not shown one ounce of AFL footballing nouse with his selections, set ups or game style !
As a collective the team is not fit enough and are not playing for him! There is no passion or belief under his tutelage and he has sold everyone at the club a complete ‘furphy’!

IMO he is another Terry Wallace who is all ‘fluff and bubble’ in the media and people have bought this. The test of time will show his complete incompetence as an AFL Coach.

So much for WATTERS being good at developing younger players he crucified Jackson FERGUSON tonight. What were they thinking the kid cant even compete one on one with KPP at VFL level. so they throw him to the wolves to play on a developing star. Why not play ROBERTON on BLACK and make him stand the stronger opponent.

STANLEY was starting to settle and look confident playing back so they drop MAISTER who was returning from injury to move STANLEY forward. All that did was left our defence completely under manned which was proven to be the case. If they were going to do that why play HICKEY, at least MAISTER gives a contest?

We continue to get slaughtered in the middle and have two good clearance players playing in the VFL whilst players like SAAD continues to get games. SAAD has more flaws than both LEDGER and CURREN put together and would rather see another midfielder/small forward developing. Elevate CURREN and play them both next week rotating thru the midfield.

GWILT was terrible down back again as was SIPPOSS in the forward half - for gods sakes rotate them and see if either can impact the game at the other end.

If WATTERS is coaching for draft picks it is just hiding his complete incompetence at this level and buying him time in the job! If he is not then he should be held accountable at seasons end!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: WATTERS is hiding behind youth development !

Constructive stuff. Gwilt was ok and Siposs is developing. We lack a monster backman no news there we were giving away a ridiculous height disparity. I was at ground level and they looked like mids on rucks.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ferg isn't the first kid to have a shocking debut.

Hardly base if he can coach on that.

Ferg, Fish and Gwilt are poor examples IMO....the ball coming in was immense and relentless.

You must be expecting too much, I admire a posting name of winnersonly, but it can't always be so.

Years of being competitive has temporarily ended, and he has picked up from a predeccesor who had little regard for the future, and coached for the now.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought stanley was really good forward so bringing in ferg and releasing stanley only half worked. He knows the finals are gone and is experimenting. Hurts now but if we get Brown in and Stanley can play like he did forward isn't that a win?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Ferg isn't the first kid to have a shocking debut.

Ferg, Fish and Gwilt are poor examples IMO....the ball coming in was immense and relentless.

You must be expecting too much, I admire a posting name of winnersonly, but it can't always be so.

Years of being competitive has temporarily ended, and he has picked up from a predeccesor who had little regard for the future, and coached for the now.
Excellent post.

Ferg was outclassed and have a bit of a lesson, but did a couple of good things later in the second half.

We would have needed 12 backmen to stop the ball in Q1. Ferg found out that AFL is a big step up from VFL.

A bit of a confidence dip but he will learn a great deal from his initial hit out.

Find it amazing people want to play the kids then get upset when we get flogged :? :? :?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I thought stanley was really good forward so bringing in ferg and releasing stanley only half worked. He knows the finals are gone and is experimenting. Hurts now but if we get Brown in and Stanley can play like he did forward isn't that a win?
Agree gringo. Stanley did look very good as a forward however against North we really needed his height down back. North have an extremely tall froward line. Their forwards are basically agile ruckman around the 200cm mark.

winnersonly I agree on Curren and Ledger. Surely we start rewarding good two's form?

Middo
Club Player

Mate give it a spell , we get that you don't rate Watters .
Not sure what you were expecting him to pull out of his arse with the team he inherited..?
Yeah sack the coach that will help ....He's planning for the future and I reckon you want Jones ' Blake and Kosi back in the team ...?? FFS

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:I thought stanley was really good forward so bringing in ferg and releasing stanley only half worked. He knows the finals are gone and is experimenting. Hurts now but if we get Brown in and Stanley can play like he did forward isn't that a win?
We all know STANLEY will evetually play forward when we get some larger key defenders!

Yes we were killed through the midfield - but we were in past weeks and what has he done to change it ?

The match up with Ferguson was as stupid and demoralising as Lyon playing Lynch on Fletcher in his first game.

I cant accept losses like that not matter phase of development we are in - the coach must remain accoutable! The minute we begin to accept that sort of loss the club will slide back to where they were in the 80's.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 02 Jun 2013 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

Ferg was outclassed and have a bit of a lesson, but did a couple of good things later in the second half.

We would have needed 12 backmen to stop the ball in Q1. Ferg found out that AFL is a big step up from VFL.

A bit of a confidence dip but he will learn a great deal from his initial hit out.

Find it amazing people want to play the kids then get upset when we get flogged :? :? :?
Can think of many of our better players who had shockers on their debuts...

North were fired up, it was just chance he debuted against that. Can't be helped, I wouldn't drop him though....I hope on reviewing the tape they see he had little chance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Agree gringo. Stanley did look very good as a forward however against North we really needed his height down back. North have an extremely tall froward line. Their forwards are basically agile ruckman around the 200cm mark.

winnersonly I agree on Curren and Ledger. Surely we start rewarding good two's form?

Ledger isnt very good at all and will be bagged like faerg has been today. He will never be the answer as Curren wont be either. Its a case of players we dont see that we hape will be better than the ones we do. the problem is the coaches who see them every game say they arent. Having said that they may as well play as soon as they can. We will lose by 10 goals again next week so it probably doesnt matter.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

Our midfield really let our defenders down IMO. That's where the problem stemmed from. The ball was coming in fast and low from centre bounces giving the defenders no chance.
Last edited by Old Mate on Sun 02 Jun 2013 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

+2

People still haven't come to terms with the fact we're well and truly in rebuilding phase right now and that is has to get worse before it can get any better.

This really makes me feel jeaous of the likes of Geelong. Baaaaaastards....

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Ledger isnt very good at all and will be bagged like faerg has been today. He will never be the answer as Curren wont be either. Its a case of players we dont see that we hape will be better than the ones we do. the problem is the coaches who see them every game say they arent. Having said that they may as well play as soon as they can. We will lose by 10 goals again next week so it probably doesnt matter.
Obviously Scott sees something he doesn't like in Curren and Ledger otherwise they would be getting a game but the facts are both have been very good for Sandy and they at least deserve to show whether they are good enough, or not at senior level. It's not like we are a hard midfield to break into.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

Spot On!

Sainter for life.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SaintSimmo wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

Spot On!
FERG didn't play in the second half - he was subbed out !

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:FERG didn't play in the second half - he was subbed out !
So thats all you can pick out? :roll:

I KNOW he was subbed out, I obviously meant the second quarter :roll: :roll:

FFS - sheesh

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Greg T
Club Player

From the very start of the game , the match ups were wrong ,as the score board indicated.
We all knew North would come out firing,surely!,
The coaches are responsible for this no one else.
The middies have gone backwards under Laidley.Fact.
We shouldn't have bottomed out so quick,maybe there are too many changes.
We really Needed a more experienced coach to come to the club after 2 Grand finals IMO
I'm all for playing the kids , it's a natural part of the game.
IMO SW is not the right person to take us forward.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Greg T wrote:From the very start of the game , the match ups were wrong ,as the score board indicated.
We all knew North would come out firing,surely!,
The coaches are responsible for this no one else.
The middies have gone backwards under Laidley.Fact.
We shouldn't have bottomed out so quick,maybe there are too many changes.
We really Needed a more experienced coach to come to the club after 2 Grand finals IMO
I'm all for playing the kids , it's a natural part of the game.
IMO SW is not the right person to take us forward.
Agreed Greg T we shouldn't lose games like that. Yes play the kids but dont butcher them !

I read his post game when he siad Webster wouldn't be playing if they had a full compliment. Jimmy was one of our better players in the second half and should have started the game in front of Ferguson. What game was WATTERS watching?

Our midfield apart from Steven & Monty has been really poor all year - why hasn't there been change.
McEvoy too slow and cant jump. Hickey a long way off !
Geary is a better option than Jones tagging but we miss him down back.
Armitage has played 2 decent games his others have been very ordinary. His clone in Seb Ross, like Armitage will never have the running capacities to become a damaging player.
Dal Santo has been non existent - leave him at half back flank.
Hayes getting old one good game before injury.
Ray been steady without having an impact.

Time to challenge GWILT or DEMPSTER to go through the middle.

It has been said that we are now ruing the years of past poor recruiting - but how will we know when we get that right with WATTERS coaching us?

SuperDuper
Club Player

Not sure of some of the details but the sentiment as expressed in the threads title may prove to be right. Have seen no evidence of watters tactical game day coaching ability after 30 odd games in charge

PJ
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:

Excellent post.

Not upset at playing kids, pissed at coaches playing kids that aren't ready. Very poor selection, so off the money.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

WW this is getting old now... easy to sit on the sidelines and call it all perfect... don't think any of us with the list at hand could do and better than Watters.

time to just relax and sit back and enjoy the small ups... stanley is a hard one... looked great up forward tonight when he went up there.. but we need a defender.. North had two on Roo but always had a free man up everyware???

watter looked bloody shell shocked at 1st Qrt time... as i bet all sainters looked.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's having a bad year.... After a promising 2012.

1433davids
Club Player

I go and watch the saints and over and over again see basic skill errors I think that a few of the young guys we have will be good, but it seems to me they are this years new guys eg roberton, ross and that they have jumped ahead of last years new guys eg. saad , sippos .The main problem I see is to many players with no experience in the team at the same time we will find out in time if watters can coach or not when thes guys have 50 or so games each under there belts but it will be an agonising wait

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Look at the positives.....

Webster has 4 games to his name.............only another 46 games to go and we get to see if he can play!! yiiiippee!!

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Time for SWto get nasty,both on and off the track,as that was not acceptable what was dished up today.Has he got it in him?