Good article on Mitch Thorp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Good article on Mitch Thorp

www.afl.com/news/2013-06-15/exhawk-eyes-second-chance

24yo
194cm key forward
Was taken pick 6 2007 draft, only played 2 afl games
Admits was not ready for afl footy, drafted from country town in Tassie

Now playing coach of South Launceston.
Has really improved the club along with his own footy.
Now engaged and a father, has matured substantially.

I think he'd be worth a look at.
Don't expect him to be the next Riewoldt, but he's at the right age to add depth to our KP stocks which arn't too crash hot - especially when Kozi likely retires at season's end and Roo retires in another 1-2 seasons time.

We all like the look of Lee and White but they are a fair way off AFL standard at the moment. Their bodies are clearly not ready. However, they can continue to develop in the VFL.

Thorp looks like he could slot into the team and be serviceable...couldn't do any worse than Maister?

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Re: Good article on Mitch Thorp

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen connection...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

pass honestly ... didnt think he was that great would rather stick with the current plan with our future forward line

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Our current plan is to mix State league players

Wilkes 26, Saad 21, Milera 23, Lee 21, Shenton 21, in the last couple of years.... We still have a gaping hole in that bracket, in particular KPP and with Roo, Kosi, Fisher all over 30??

It would be stupid to not look at every player available on a case by case scenario....

What if Freo overlooked Silvagni & Barlow, Geelong overlooked Pods, GWS overlooked Giles & Mohr, Essendon overlooked Hibbert, Adelaide overlooked Callinan, Brosbane overlooked Zorko.... Etc..

Because we were narrow and close minded..

Thorpe would be worth serious consideration.... As a Rookie

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Our current plan is to mix State league players

Wilkes 26, Saad 21, Milera 23, Lee 21, Shenton 21, in the last couple of years.... We still have a gaping hole in that bracket, in particular KPP and with Roo, Kosi, Fisher all over 30??

It would be stupid to not look at every player available on a case by case scenario....

What if Freo overlooked Silvagni & Barlow, Geelong overlooked Pods, GWS overlooked Giles & Mohr, Essendon overlooked Hibbert, Adelaide overlooked Callinan, Brosbane overlooked Zorko.... Etc..

Because we were narrow and close minded..

Thorpe would be worth serious consideration.... As a Rookie
as a rookie sure ... but i wouldnt exactly be putting all efforts into securing his signature

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Needs to kick goals in the WAFL first.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Needs to kick goals in the WAFL first.
would be a good start to play and kick goals at a top level state comp and not just in the Tassie ammos ... be it WAFL SANFL or VFL

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He did play VFL... For Werribee in 2010, before going to Tassie

BTW
He is captain coach of the state league team Sth Launceston.... Not in the 'Ammos' of which Tas does not have?

It is below the other leagues, but it is not a weak league, they just belted the NEAFL... And it has always been a good standard down there...when the statewide has been played..... Tough, contested footy.

He would have chosen Tassie because he hails from there, his girlfriend is From there and he got the chance to coach at a young age.... Good on him, I though he might have pulled the pin...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its crap footy lets face it. better options than him. Probably about 1000 players his standard. Why go back to someone who couldnt make it and then goes to a crap league. Doubt he is even interested.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What??

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In recent form the saints we will probably use pick 23 on him.

im not against picking him up as a mature age rookie if he dominates the TFl for the rest of the year. And I mean dominates it.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 24 Jun 2013 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I certainly wouldn't be against taking him as a rookie if he plays out the season in good form. Injuries played a part in his delisting but it was mainly an atrocious attitude. If he has genuinely matured and has his body right then he could yet be an AFL player. There has never been any doubt on his ability

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

This is where good recruiting can win you s flag. Make the brave call on s guy like Thorp and he produces could turn your list on its head.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:In recent form the saints we will probably use pick 23 on him.
Recent form, Wright was at 24

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is he worth someone recruiting, him and Dowler were howlers

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Its crap footy lets face it. better options than him. Probably about 1000 players his standard. Why go back to someone who couldnt make it and then goes to a crap league. Doubt he is even interested.
Umm read the frigging article, he is very interested to play AFL again. Anyway, I would look at rookie listing him, he is only 24 there have been a lot of players who showed bugger all and then made it with a change of attitude

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Its crap footy lets face it. better options than him. Probably about 1000 players his standard. Why go back to someone who couldnt make it and then goes to a crap league. Doubt he is even interested.
Umm read the frigging article, he is very interested to play AFL again. Anyway, I would look at rookie listing him, he is only 24 there have been a lot of players who showed bugger all and then made it with a change of attitude

There is very few players. Most arent rookied listed or main listed again. I would prefer to wait and see on who is available than go for a guy playing in an ordinary league. If you want me to name some players from the VFL I would go for Chris Cain and Tim Allan. The toolman will be an AFL player. Said that 3 years ago and even wrote to the saints to tell them he could be a player.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I'm mates with Tim Allan.. I assume Plugger u know him through Ormond.. Is AFL standard 193cm big leap, good hands and decent pace.. Will get picked up this year already with a few clubs that have him on the short list.. We need to pick him up simple..

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Was taken pick 6 2007 draft, only played 2 afl games
Admits was not ready for afl footy, drafted from country town in Tassie

South Launceston.
The only two things you need from this post plays in the Tassie league and 2 games in 4 or 5 years of afl?

If clubs were seriously looking at him they would ask him to play in the vfl or wafl or safl

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watched much Tasmanian Statewide League footy old fella??

For a person who won't allow someone to have an opinion on a game if they haven't seen it live... I'd love to know how you can form an opinion on a league you would never have seen on TV, let alone live?!

Anyways

I do love not having to read your s*** continually nowadays, so when I read the odd bit of rubbish quoted..... I just have a bit of a chuckle...

No, the Tassie league is not as strong as the main state leagues Vic, SA, WA.... Better than all the others like NTFL, NEAFL, ACTFL.... And of course better much better than suburban footy...

BTW... Kyle Martin was playing suburban footy 18 moths ago, Ziggy Alwin (likely draftee) 8 months ago... Zorko dominating a much poorer league??

As was Sammy Dunnell 12 months before he was drafted??
Milera was playing SANFL reserves??

But hey,
you continually scoffed at state league players a couple of years ago, when they were suggested...because, as you put it "if they were any good they'd have been picked up" and "why were they overlooked then" ......rubbish that has been obviously debunked..... And recruiters now have opportunities to clean up mistakes or take players who have matured

BTW
Who's the outstanding list development going now, hmmm.... Can we admit some mistakes yet.... Would love to go back to some old debates where apologist ignoramuses like you defended garbage...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

1000 players who are better??

Hmmm

Let's say 10 players are better in each VFL, WAFL, SANFL team (which would not be the case, but for arguments sake) .... That's about 350..,, a handful in other leagues (considering he's probably best player in the next best league).

Then you've got about 50 kids who'll get drafted from the TAC cup... Who may have futures?? Remembering he was an AA under 18 who was rated by Pelchin as the 6th best junior talent in the country....

I count about 410??

Let's push that out to 500 to satisfy any others, who may be hiding at Tyabb or Sacred Heart in Adelaide...

Still don't get to 1000

And I'm being generous....

Fact is, if he returned fully fit to a big state league he would be in the best 4-8 at any team... Depending on its strength

And given his age (24) and position and ability and history.... He's got some tempting upside....

Would take him, with a throw away pick

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hilarious. Poor footy. No better than b grade amatuers so that puts many ahead. You come from Tassy. big deal. Footy has changed or do you go back there and watch it just to tell us you watched it. Please stop lying. How many years has RL coached? Nil knowledge but very funny. Still come uop with most simpleton line ever when we recruited a player. There isnt a picture of him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If he has enough talent he will make it back

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i stand by my comment the Tassie comp isnt an ammos comp my bad but still i doubt if he wasnt originialy drafted as a early draft pick there would be a story writen about him... is he even the best in that tassie comp ? the artical doesnt sound like he is dominating hes just the best in a historically poor team ... he is classed as a class above in the recent game against the NEAFL... well to be blunt about it that doesnt sound like a big effort considering ...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6639927838

by that we should be looking at the entire SANFL team !!

Im all for looking to state comps to get players but considering the whining on here about the drafting of Beau (who actually has dominated WAFL level for two seasons) i cant Thorp being some one we will activly chase