International Rules 2013

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

International Rules 2013

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane "Indigenous All Stars to represent Australia in this year's International Rules Series v Ireland. Michael O'Loughlin to be Australian coach."

So.....what do we think???

Pretty average IMO. Players should be picked to represent Australia on their talent and ability, not based on their heritage or race. Pick the best side available, simple really.

Any relevance this series had left is now gone.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: International Rules 2013

St Chris wrote:Any relevance this series had left is now gone.
Did anyone ever care about International Rules?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

bergholt wrote:
St Chris wrote:Any relevance this series had left is now gone.
Did anyone ever care about International Rules?
The original name for this team under Harry Beitzel still applies.

The Galahs.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

IR is good for a few nights entertainment in the off-season. I guess the aboriginal team is a means of evening up the playing field; once the Australian selectors stopped picking the AA team and started choosing guys suited to the game there wasn't much competition (as long as plenty of the first-choice team was available). With less big-bodied players to pick from there's less chance of an Irish guy copping a knock and their media crying "thuggery" for weeks as well.

The game lost quite a bit of appeal when the AA team was no longer picked and they've needed to change things up somehow.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

its a nice novelty

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane "Indigenous All Stars to represent Australia in this year's International Rules Series v Ireland. Michael O'Loughlin to be Australian coach."

Pretty average IMO. Players should be picked to represent Australia on their talent and ability, not based on their heritage or race. Pick the best side available, simple really.

Yeah that's a bit racist I reckon! Imagine if there was just an all white team representing Australia, I reckon the aboriginal community wouldn't be too happy and making a big fuss about it..

busso mick
Club Player

The first cricket team from Australia to tour in 1868 comprised of Aborignals, so there is a bit of synergy with the latest IR tour.

IMO AFL will never become an international game but as far as IR goes it is a bit of publicity but nothing more.

saint3d
Club Player

The AFL endorses racism as long as it's the good kind. They only disapprove of vilification.

So to recap:

Calling someone names based on the colour of their skin = bad

Excluding the majority of players from selection based on the colour of their skin = good

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:The AFL endorses racism as long as it's the good kind. They only disapprove of vilification.

So to recap:

Calling someone names based on the colour of their skin = bad

Excluding the majority of players from selection based on the colour of their skin = good

Its a one off in a series thats lost its appeal. And Im glad the first you mentioned happens.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:IR is good for a few nights entertainment in the off-season. I guess the aboriginal team is a means of evening up the playing field; once the Australian selectors stopped picking the AA team and started choosing guys suited to the game there wasn't much competition (as long as plenty of the first-choice team was available). With less big-bodied players to pick from there's less chance of an Irish guy copping a knock and their media crying "thuggery" for weeks as well.

...oh i don't know about that...buddy can coathanger a few and lindsay thomas can trade head buts with the irish.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Who cares most of the players pull out anyway and don't go

Viking3
Club Player

Sorry Mr Riewoldt, you can't play because you're not Aboriginal!!
Racism at its best.
:shock: :o :roll:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:Sorry Mr Riewoldt, you can't play because you're not Aboriginal!!
Racism at its best.

Victoria versus WA in state of origin if it ever happens again. Sorry Mr Riewoldt you cant play this game. No difference. its a one off game. And a game that has lost nearlt all interest. This mat spark some interest. if it is long term then it would be a worry.

Viking3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Racism at its best.

Victoria versus WA in state of origin if it ever happens again. Sorry Mr Riewoldt you cant play this game. No difference. its a one off game. And a game that has lost nearlt all interest. This mat spark some interest. if it is long term then it would be a worry.
Personally, I couldn't care less, but imagine the uproar if they said we are only playing white fellas this year. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
Racism is either banned or it is not!!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:Racism is either banned or it is not!!
Crap. It's only a problem when it causes discrimination against a minority. White footballers are not a minority.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Racism at its best.

Personally, I couldn't care less, but imagine the uproar if they said we are only playing white fellas this year. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
Racism is either banned or it is not!!

Obviously you feel the same about the all stars game and in the NRL they have a similar game.

kp83
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane "Indigenous All Stars to represent Australia in this year's International Rules Series v Ireland. Michael O'Loughlin to be Australian coach."

I knew people would have this reaction and to be honest I reckon it's a bit lame.
What is wrong with picking a team that will show-case our great indigenous talent? It's not as if the All-Australian team ever goes on these tours, so the other option would not be our best vs Ireland, it would be some decent Aussie players vs Ireland.
If this was Aus vs Ireland in Rugby and the ARU decided it would only allow indigenous players to play, then that would be an issue, but for these novelty series I don't see the need to jump up and down and claim reverse-racism (as others in this post have).
When it all boils down to it, the more we can do for reconciliation the better. After all, a lot has been taken from this race over the course of history. Is it that bad that these very small gestures be offered from time to time?

Viking3
Club Player

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't pick and choose when you play the racism card.
Racism doesn't just apply to minorities, it applies to EACH and EVERY one of us.
It should also be applied ALL the time.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

kp83 wrote:

I knew people would have this reaction and to be honest I reckon it's a bit lame.
What is wrong with picking a team that will show-case our great indigenous talent? It's not as if the All-Australian team ever goes on these tours, so the other option would not be our best vs Ireland, it would be some decent Aussie players vs Ireland.
If this was Aus vs Ireland in Rugby and the ARU decided it would only allow indigenous players to play, then that would be an issue, but for these novelty series I don't see the need to jump up and down and claim reverse-racism (as others in this post have).
When it all boils down to it, the more we can do for reconciliation the better. After all, a lot has been taken from this race over the course of history. Is it that bad that these very small gestures be offered from time to time?
That's all fine, but I just hope its not marketed as "Australia vs Ireland", or the team wearing green and gold, because although representing your country isn't the pinnacle in this sport, its still a damn fine honor, and non-indigenous players shouldn't be denied that opportunity for some cheap PR.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that you can't pick and choose when you play the racism card.
Racism doesn't just apply to minorities, it applies to EACH and EVERY one of us.

Sorry but i dont agree. No one can be racist to me in Australia. Im a white Australian and with parents and grand parents born here.

Viking3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Viking3 wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that you can't pick and choose when you play the racism card.

Sorry but i dont agree. No one can be racist to me in Australia. Im a white Australian and with parents and grand parents born here.
You're kidding aren't you?
If an Aboriginal calls you 'whitey' or a Greek calls you 'skip' you're vilified. Both racial terms for, as you say, "white Australian". Simple as that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a great idea… the whole concept had completely lost momentum, with none of the good players actually wanting to play.

This will bring a bit of energy back, I'm looking forward to it.

I highly doubt many non indigenous players are aggrieved.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If an Aboriginal calls you 'whitey' or a Greek calls you 'skip' you're vilified. Both racial terms for, as you say, "white Australian". Simple as that.

I think you are the one kidding. You obviously have never been explained what racism is because calling me whitey or skip in Australia is not and will never be racist. I hope you are taking the piss otherwise you just dont get it at all. I doubt anyone on here or just about anywhere in Australia would agree with you.

Viking3
Club Player

Sorry but i dont agree. No one can be racist to me in Australia. Im a white Australian and with parents and grand parents born here.[/quote]

If an Aboriginal calls you 'whitey' or a Greek calls you 'skip' you're vilified. Both racial terms for, as you say, "white Australian". Simple as that.[/quote]

I think you are the one kidding. You obviously have never been explained what racism is because calling me whitey or skip in Australia is not and will never be racist. I hope you are taking the piss otherwise you just dont get it at all. I doubt anyone on here or just about anywhere in Australia would agree with you.[/quote]

So you're saying whitey is not racist but black/y is???
Referring to anyone's color (white/black), religion or gender, as a negative, is racist.
I think you may be the one lacking knowledge here Pluggs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:Sorry but i dont agree. No one can be racist to me in Australia. Im a white Australian and with parents and grand parents born here.
If an Aboriginal calls you 'whitey' or a Greek calls you 'skip' you're vilified. Both racial terms for, as you say, "white Australian". Simple as that.[/quote]

I think you are the one kidding. You obviously have never been explained what racism is because calling me whitey or skip in Australia is not and will never be racist. I hope you are taking the piss otherwise you just dont get it at all. I doubt anyone on here or just about anywhere in Australia would agree with you.[/quote]

So you're saying whitey is not racist but black/y is???
Referring to anyone's color (white/black), religion or gender, as a negative, is racist.
I think you may be the one lacking knowledge here Pluggs.[/quote]

Yes i am saying that.