Sex assault victims' groups hit out Milne selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sex assault victims' groups hit out Milne selection

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6677837555

SEXUAL assault victims' groups have slammed St Kilda and the AFL for the Saints' decision to select Stephen Milne to play while he fights rape charges.

Advocacy groups have also called on the AFL to develop stronger rules on how clubs deal with players charged with serious sexual assaults.
These people seem to regard presumption of innocence as something that should not extend to Milne!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sex assault victims' groups hit out Milne selection

bigcarl wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6677837555

SEXUAL assault victims' groups have slammed St Kilda and the AFL for the Saints' decision to select Stephen Milne to play while he fights rape charges.

Advocacy groups have also called on the AFL to develop stronger rules on how clubs deal with players charged with serious sexual assaults.
These people seem to regard presumption of innocence as something that should not extend to Milne!

after how the herald Sun dealt with the last St Kilda and Femal issue- pregnancy I don't know they have much to stand on-- fact was never admited by them.

-- But as the Sports journos show' respect for the footballer and don't discuss due to senstivity the ' Social media' journos have a field day

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by Old Mate on Thu 11 Jul 2013 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOTTHATAWKWARD
Club Player

This is honestly one of the hardest moral questions I have had to pose at myself for a very long time and it does not get any easier and I would like to think if this was another team's player my opinion would be the same, but I can't answer that. I believe we have led a good example by bestowing the ideology of 'innocent until proven guilty' and not restricting Milne of his civil liberties as a free man. I can totally understand and empathise with why a sexual assault victims groups would think playing Milne is a bad decision, the blame should be on the AFL for not having procedure and regulations set in place for cases like this, we are just doing right by our employee.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Notthatawkward, I agree, found myself nodding while reading your post. I'm not sure there was a correct way to handle this situation. I can't find a solution in my own mind. Afl must believe freedom to play while awaiting court. What however is the procedure should that player be found guilty? That surely will see the media, half of Australia, sponsors and the rest of them (like these groups) completely lose their s$&!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
NOTTHATAWKWARD
Club Player

Also if you are so deluded to think that their isn't some validity to a sexual assault victims group being appalled by this decision then you need your head checked.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I would be very surprised If anyone felt that way

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Yeah yelling ''what about the presumption of innocence?'' on saturday night should quieten the baying crowd down.

Club between a rock and a hard place on this.... PR and brand wise it's an awful look, and we'll haemorrhage for it.

Playon
Club Player

Or If we take Milnes side

Footy player sl*t angry at wrong player.

Footy player sl*t rues sex with wrong victim.

Footy player sl*t gets even after casual affair

Footy player sl*t not satisfied

Seriously it needs to go to court and if he's guilty hang him. But until then we can all make stupid comments.

I feel sorry for his family and hope that after all this they can still cope and for his kids sake I hope he's not convicted.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Did I miss something. Was Milney found guilty? Did he admit to raping the girl?

Why dont we just throw him to the lions. Seriously, I'm am sure these victims have suffered, however, Milne hasnt has an opportunity to clear himself. This is what the trial is for so the girl can give her evidence and Milne can give his.

Oh stuff it, lets just stone him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Or If we take Milnes side

Seriously it needs to go to court and if he's guilty hang him. But until then we can all make stupid comments.

I feel sorry for his family and hope that after all this they can still cope and for his kids sake I hope he's not convicted.

Pathetic even if looking at Milnes side. milne has been charged. She hasnt been charged with anything. Anyway this was always going to happen and that is why it was a risk to our club when we eventually did pick him. Im more worried about supporters on both sides on Saturday night. Could get real ugly.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yeah charged with 4 counts of rape vs playing a game of footy.... Obviously playing a game of footy is more important.

Just as obviously as him not being able to play footy would be akin to stoning him to death.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Pathetic even if looking at Milnes side. milne has been charged. She hasnt been charged with anything. Anyway this was always going to happen and that is why it was a risk to our club when we eventually did pick him. Im more worried about supporters on both sides on Saturday night. Could get real ugly.
Most likely will, given it's a night game to boot.

A positive is that it could do Milkshake's head in.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

To be honest i couldnt give a stuff about MM. Im more worried about Milney, the girl, the families and people in the crowd. And both sides of the crowd. Like you said a night game doesnt help either. Maybe it had to eventually happen but also maybe the Port game was a better option.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:Also if you are so deluded to think that their isn't some validity to a sexual assault victims group being appalled by this decision then you need your head checked.
The bloke hasn't been found guilty of anything yet. Sure, if he was a convicted rapist it's a different thing altogether. Innocent until proven guilty. It's a fundamental fixture of a democratic legal system.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:Also if you are so deluded to think that their isn't some validity to a sexual assault victims group being appalled by this decision then you need your head checked.
The bloke hasn't been found guilty of anything yet. Sure, if he was a convicted rapist it's a different thing altogether. Innocent until proven guilty. It's a fundamental fixture of a democratic legal system.

The problem is rape is one of the most serious crimes you can be charged with. I know murder is obviously much worse but there isnt a chance in the world a potential murderer would be allowed to play. I certainly can see both sides as to whether he should play or not.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

To be honest i couldnt give a stuff about MM. Im more worried about Milney, the girl, the families and people in the crowd. And both sides of the crowd. Like you said a night game doesnt help either. Maybe it had to eventually happen but also maybe the Port game was a better option.
I agree completely, I'm not going because of it, can't take the kids.
The blues supporters were bad enough before this.
Do feel for all concerned, no one wins in all of this, the justice system just moves too slow.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I know murder is obviously much worse but there isnt a chance in the world a potential murderer would be allowed to play.
Why not? To not play him would be presumption of guilt wouldn't it? Others will disagree, but in my book legally and morally the club is okay on this one. Innocent until proven otherwise.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yeah charged with 4 counts of rape vs playing a game of footy.... Obviously playing a game of footy is more important.

Just as obviously as him not being able to play footy would be akin to stoning him to death.
Don't get our point, is there one?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I know murder is obviously much worse but there isnt a chance in the world a potential murderer would be allowed to play.
Why not? To not play him would be presumption of guilt wouldn't it? Others will disagree, but in my book legally and morally the club is okay on this one. Innocent until proven otherwise.

Tell me you are joking. You honestly think a person charged with murder should be able to play. Probably no hope of bail but if any club tried that the AFL would quite rightly take away the players licence to play.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Exactly, playing footy is his job, isnt he allowed to work to pay his legal bills.

And if people are worried then dont go, simple. As if anyone cares if people go or not.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he wouldve been paid even if not playing

but the whole situation whether he plays or doesnt was always going to end up a complete shambles when he finally did take the park

lose/lose situation

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

The problem is rape is one of the most serious crimes you can be charged with. I know murder is obviously much worse but there isnt a chance in the world a potential murderer would be allowed to play. I certainly can see both sides as to whether he should play or not.
Don't think it helps anything for victims groups to come out in this fashion.
Only inflames things and puts innocent spectators at risk.
Not enough social responsibility being taken here from any leaders, AFL, journalists, etc.
Should be calling for calm.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:You honestly think a person charged with murder should be able to play.
If he's out on bail then yes. He still hasn't been found guilty ... so to not play him would be a presumption of guilt.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of "presumption of innocence".

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

A more selfless player would have stood aside to save the club dramas.
Milne and selfless in the same sentence, now that is a paradox!