Adam Cockie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Adam Cockie

What is everyones thoughts on Adam Cockie? He appears to be a tough mid-fielder, which we could do with. He has had two consistent seasons with the Zebras. Only Curren has been better than him overall.
I think we should pick him up. He could be very handy when our new young midfield is out there.

Jarred
Club Player

Re: Adam Cockie

borderbarry wrote:What is everyones thoughts on Adam Cockie? He appears to be a tough mid-fielder, which we could do with. He has had two consistent seasons with the Zebras. Only Curren has been better than him overall.
I think we should pick him up. He could be very handy when our new young midfield is out there.
His 2nd season hasn't been as good as last years... He's also mid 20's now isnt he?? If so I'd prefer us to use a pick on a young mid. But that's just what i think. 8-)

Kickit
Club Player

Yeah given his age I think he hasn't got the upside of someone like Curren or even Ledger.
He'd have been good to have on the Rookie list in 2009 or 2010.
But right now he'd be slowing down the development of a younger player with more upside if he played so that's a no from me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love Cockies work but would prefer to get Tippets brother as a FB.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Jarred wrote:
borderbarry wrote:What is everyones thoughts on Adam Cockie? He appears to be a tough mid-fielder, which we could do with. He has had two consistent seasons with the Zebras. Only Curren has been better than him overall.
His 2nd season hasn't been as good as last years... He's also mid 20's now isnt he?? If so I'd prefer us to use a pick on a young mid. But that's just what i think. 8-)
Completely disagree with you there. This year he has been outstanding and if it wasnt for suspension he'd go mighty close to winning the Liston Medal. Will be runaway winner of Zebs B&F.

In 2013 Cockie is averaging 22.5 disposals (13 of 16 games over 20 disposals), 3 marks and 6.2 tackles per game. He's been named in best 13 of 16 games. He also played for Victoria in State Game earlier this year where he collected 22 disposals (18 contested), 12 clearances, 5 tackles & 3 inside 50s.

Mitch35
Club Player

We are probably only going to retain Shenton from the rookie list through upgrades and delistings, so I would be keen to have him on the list if we had injury problems with miss next year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Jarred wrote:
Completely disagree with you there. This year he has been outstanding and if it wasnt for suspension he'd go mighty close to winning the Liston Medal. Will be runaway winner of Zebs B&F.

In 2013 Cockie is averaging 22.5 disposals (13 of 16 games over 20 disposals), 3 marks and 6.2 tackles per game. He's been named in best 13 of 16 games. He also played for Victoria in State Game earlier this year where he collected 22 disposals (18 contested), 12 clearances, 5 tackles & 3 inside 50s.

That's what I thought. I haven't seen many Sandy games this year but the few i saw he was awesome and the best of our non saints boys. I always see his name in the best so was wondering what he's doing wrong. Do you think Hamish Shepheard might get another go somewhere Thunda? He sounds like what we ned at the Saints but it might be desperation. He could be another Zac dawson who steps it up once he hits the big time. Great size and apparently was going really well in the first half of the season.

Jarred
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
Jarred wrote:

Ave. 22 disposals in the VFL isnt that good though... I would think Ledger is ave. more than that and also Curren. Keeping in mind they are both younger than Cockie.
Remember how good Magner was before he was drafted and touted as a clearance king? Even he hasnt cracked it and was head and shoulders above Cockie is now.

Dont get me wrong he is a good player but not worth a spot on our list IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Jarred wrote: His 2nd season hasn't been as good as last years... He's also mid 20's now isnt he?? If so I'd prefer us to use a pick on a young mid. But that's just what i think. 8-)

That's what I thought. I haven't seen many Sandy games this year but the few i saw he was awesome and the best of our non saints boys. I always see his name in the best so was wondering what he's doing wrong. Do you think Hamish Shepheard might get another go somewhere Thunda? He sounds like what we ned at the Saints but it might be desperation. He could be another Zac dawson who steps it up once he hits the big time. Great size and apparently was going really well in the first half of the season.

Gringo you want every player available from every single competition but also only want to lose about 4 players. Shephard isnt up to AFL footy ever. Cockie will be an average footballer and wont hurt the side but wont help us improve either. Shephard another Dawson. Seriously.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gringo you want every player available from every single competition but also only want to lose about 4 players. Shephard isnt up to AFL footy ever. Cockie will be an average footballer and wont hurt the side but wont help us improve either. Shephard another Dawson. Seriously.

Did I say we should get him? I said we shouldn't look at Cocky we should look at Tipetts brother who is killing it as a KPB in the SANFL and Shep who I haven't seen much of but was killing it early season and is a 198 cm KPB who also had limited AFL experience. Dawson looked an average forward at VFL level and became a serviceable FB. Never said get any one just think we might need to look for a KPB some time realsoon and they are not so easy to find.

You think anyone with experience is s*** and are blind to opportunities. I'm a speculator your like someone with a shoe box on their head walking into a wall over and over complaining about the result.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cockie is a better player than Magner, much more short burst pace. James is a one paced tractor who distributes the footy, Adam is short burst breakaway clearance player .... Having said that, he is not a player we need now that Lenny isn't retiring.... Lenny, Armo, Seb, Jack, CJ and Curren (even if ledger goes) would be in front of him... He'd be surplus...
IMO we need class mids in the mould of Daniel Well who hurt by foot

He should most definitely end up on an AFL list IMO, one lacking inside power.... He is a destructive body player who hits with ferocity... His 2013 has been outstanding... Love watching him play.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I love Cockies work but would prefer to get Tippets brother as a FB.
Looked ordinary in the Foxtel cup. Is he that good?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spot on
Club Player

I love the was he goes about it and would love him at the saints, but i just can't see it happening now, he has been under our nose for a few years. Do u think his skills are good enough for afl?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Probably not?

But Steven, Gilbert, Geary, Ledger, Demppster, Jones

No better or worse

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did I say we should get him? I said we shouldn't look at Cocky we should look at Tipetts brother who is killing it as a KPB in the SANFL and Shep who I haven't seen much of but was killing it early season and is a 198 cm KPB who also had limited AFL experience. Dawson looked an average forward at VFL level and became a serviceable FB. Never said get any one just think we might need to look for a KPB some time realsoon and they are not so easy to find.

You think anyone with experience is s*** and are blind to opportunities. I'm a speculator your like someone with a shoe box on their head walking into a wall over and over complaining about the result.

I have actually never said that anyone with experience is s***. That is in your imagination. I actually said I think 2 guys from the VFL are chance of getting drafted this year and one is a real smakey in Tim Allan and the other I like is Chris Cain. We probably dont need either but we have at least talked to Allan. The difference is Shephard has tried and failed and will be 25 next year and just isnt good enough. Cockie is a much better VFL who has again be tried and failed but can at least play. he is suited IMO to either a bottom club lacking midfield experience or a type side like Hawthorn did with Simpkin this year to add depth to the midfield. We already have 4 guys over 30 in our midield and still havent hit the bottom. We dont need him IMO. We have plenty of experience.

Also there is more to VFL players that Sandy players and as you say you dont see much of them anyway. I think the club may get an experienced player this year but i dont see the point of one in the midfield or in the backline unless it is FB. We have huge experience in those areas. The one spot we lack experience is up forward and we may try for one in that are like a Tim Allan.

So there you go Gringo. I do think experienced players cvan play but unlike you who want to recruit 50 of them and hardly lose a Saints player I only suggest a couple and reject nearly everyone else because nearly everyone else will be rejected. The club can look at 50 experienced players but in the end may get one or none like most clubs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I have actually never said that anyone with experience is s***. That is in your imagination. I actually said I think 2 guys from the VFL are chance of getting drafted this year and one is a real smakey in Tim Allan and the other I like is Chris Cain. We probably dont need either but we have at least talked to Allan. The difference is Shephard has tried and failed and will be 25 next year and just isnt good enough. Cockie is a much better VFL who has again be tried and failed but can at least play. he is suited IMO to either a bottom club lacking midfield experience or a type side like Hawthorn did with Simpkin this year to add depth to the midfield. We already have 4 guys over 30 in our midield and still havent hit the bottom. We dont need him IMO. We have plenty of experience.

Also there is more to VFL players that Sandy players and as you say you dont see much of them anyway. I think the club may get an experienced player this year but i dont see the point of one in the midfield or in the backline unless it is FB. We have huge experience in those areas. The one spot we lack experience is up forward and we may try for one in that are like a Tim Allan.

So there you go Gringo. I do think experienced players cvan play but unlike you who want to recruit 50 of them and hardly lose a Saints player I only suggest a couple and reject nearly everyone else because nearly everyone else will be rejected. The club can look at 50 experienced players but in the end may get one or none like most clubs.

So did you think Zac Dawson would make it as a FB who would play in GFs and get poached by another club after watching him at VFL level? I didn't. You know how hard it is to make it as a rookie. 3 weeks ago you said we should delist Curren as we aren't giving him a go so his papers are stamped. He showed a bit now so should stay. Shents now pretty much looks gone after half a game.

Last year i watched plenty of VFL but haven't had time this year. there are guys playing in lower levels who should get a go but life doesn't always hand out a fair deal.

Lee had a go but is getting another now. But apparently he shouldn't because he was rejected. When you cull the list every year some who are slow to come on or unlucky with injury get the chop. It's not always fair but it's the system.

as for the FB it's exactly what I said in my initial response, Cockie is good but not what we need. If you watched Brown from WCE he was no gun, just a genuine big bodied full back who would make life hard for the big key forwards. If Shep could do that he would be worth a look otherwise we should look at Tippett and Josh Bruce. And at the same time get Rodda in the draft as a longer term KPB.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So did you think Zac Dawson would make it as a FB who would play in GFs and get poached by another club after watching him at VFL level? I didn't. You know how hard it is to make it as a rookie. 3 weeks ago you said we should delist Curren as we aren't giving him a go so his papers are stamped. He showed a bit now so should stay. Shents now pretty much looks gone after half a game.

Last year i watched plenty of VFL but haven't had time this year. there are guys playing in lower levels who should get a go but life doesn't always hand out a fair deal.

Lee had a go but is getting another now. But apparently he shouldn't because he was rejected. When you cull the list every year some who are slow to come on or unlucky with injury get the chop. It's not always fair but it's the system.

as for the FB it's exactly what I said in my initial response, Cockie is good but not what we need. If you watched Brown from WCE he was no gun, just a genuine big bodied full back who would make life hard for the big key forwards. If Shep could do that he would be worth a look otherwise we should look at Tippett and Josh Bruce. And at the same time get Rodda in the draft as a longer term KPB.
If you reply , then you encourage more crap :roll: :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Rosco
Club Player

plenty of cockiness in this thread

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Probably not?

But Steven, Gilbert, Geary, Ledger, Demppster, Jones

No better or worse
Dempster not good by hand or foot???? Turn it up.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is average by hand and foot.... Not skilled at all.

As a side, I have never seen a guy get his kicks smothered as much as Sean??

Milney probably a second

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Dempster is average by hand and foot.... Not skilled at all.

As a side, I have never seen a guy get his kicks smothered as much as Sean??

Milney probably a second
Even Dempster admits himself he isnt the best kick in the world!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Jarred wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Jarred wrote:

Ave. 22 disposals in the VFL isnt that good though... I would think Ledger is ave. more than that and also Curren. Keeping in mind they are both younger than Cockie.
Remember how good Magner was before he was drafted and touted as a clearance king? Even he hasnt cracked it and was head and shoulders above Cockie is now.

Dont get me wrong he is a good player but not worth a spot on our list IMO.
Curren & Ledger about the same as Cockie. Ledger maybe 1 or 2 more. Cockie is 100 times better footballer then Magner. Has explosive pace, tackling machine, clearance beast. Good on both sides of his body. He'd have played most of season for Saints if he was on our list this year, i have no question about it. He's the type of player we need, although unlikely we'll probably pick him up though

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You examples to prove a point arent very good. Lee played one year at AFL and is still only about 21. Completely different to Shephard and Cockie. Lee is like Hutchings for WCE. One year at AFL and still young.

And now you wnt an experienced FB and a young FB. Thats 2 picks already so how many do you want to get rid of to get the picks. 3 have trired and curren will be upgraded so I gather you want to delist a few but then you say we shouldnt get rid of that player and another player. On Monday i will start a thread on delisting so hopefully you will tell us yours so that we see how many picks you want in the draft. If we are getting 2 FB I gather you must want at least 4 or 5 other picks which will mean delisting 4 or 5 players.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We need to turn over the list

We finished 16th

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You examples to prove a point arent very good. Lee played one year at AFL and is still only about 21. Completely different to Shephard and Cockie. Lee is like Hutchings for WCE. One year at AFL and still young.

And now you wnt an experienced FB and a young FB. Thats 2 picks already so how many do you want to get rid of to get the picks. 3 have trired and curren will be upgraded so I gather you want to delist a few but then you say we shouldnt get rid of that player and another player. On Monday i will start a thread on delisting so hopefully you will tell us yours so that we see how many picks you want in the draft. If we are getting 2 FB I gather you must want at least 4 or 5 other picks which will mean delisting 4 or 5 players.

Do you know how Shep went at Freo? He was a rookie who seemed injured the whole time. Cockie likewise was a rookie mid in a west coast era that had a deep midfield. Just because they didn't get kept on doesn't automatically write off their careers.

I have done two of these delisting ones so far for you, how many more do you want? So you don't want to draft a mature KPB and a young one? Obviously you don't rate having a FB. We will probably drop all of Ferg, Staley, Lever, ledge, Shenton and maybe Dunnel and Siposs on top of Milne, Kosi, Blake and even possibly Jones and Simpkin. Saad is probably gone too.

I'm no maths expert but that opens a few places. Obviously not all will go but all of those guys would be a little nervous.