AFL Picks 1-20 Contenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AFL Picks 1-20 Contenders

If we end up with two guys from this list Ill be very happy (Ill also take 1 + Adams happily :D :D )

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-22/a ... -prospects

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Picks 1-20 Contenders

I just want 2 guys with excellent skills who will play the next 15 years for us !
Both winning multiple flags and brownlows on the way .

Is that too much to ask for ?

In red white and black from 73
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Its like picking out new toys for christmas isn't it (6 months later we'll be bored with them, they'll be in the corner broken and we'll wish we'd got the mega-transformer instead). I know Scott has flagged we need classy mids but do you think we would we look at going for a defender maybe with 2 or 3 pick, someone to groom as a creative player from the back. We are going to be losing Fisher, Gilbo, Gwilt, Dempster sooner rather than later. That's a lot of rebound and defensive class gone. Roberton is tough as nails but not sure how well he breaks the lines.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we end up with a really good kid at pick 3 plus Adams Bruce and Michie we are well on the road to recovery.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I really hope we don't trade pick 3, which I don't think we will. Be great if we can get 2 in the top 20 through trade 10 through trade but not lijely

I love this club
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kade whathisname has a brilliant surname

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty short draft this year.

I know there's a chance for more growth but I'm not seeing anyone in that golden 194 to 198 size.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
falka
Club Player

roskilde wrote:Pretty short draft this year.

I know there's a chance for more growth but I'm not seeing anyone in that golden 194 to 198 size.
Hence the interest in Bruce.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I really like Scharenberg as I think he is just the right size and ability to slot straight in. He and Colqhoun tore it up last year at the carnival and he was under age. Then Billings for me then if we can get a late first round from a trade out i would want Bontempelli, Freeman or Kelly.

lloyd21
Club Player

Agree Gringo had a beer with someone close to club apparently they want Josh Kelly at this stage hope he is wrong .

Can't believe the negative on Scharenburg myself perfect size , Mundy Watson Kennedy ? Essendon have paid $800k a year.
for Goddard who plays the exact way back ,middle,forward.

Anyway see what happens .

ljpoyz
Club Player

Know a bloke who works in recruiting at another club, reckons Kelly is the pick of the draft. Rates Scharenburg above Aish but reckons they top 4-5 are all pretty close.

lloyd21 wrote:Agree Gringo had a beer with someone close to club apparently they want Josh Kelly at this stage hope he is wrong .

Can't believe the negative on Scharenburg myself perfect size , Mundy Watson Kennedy ? Essendon have paid $800k a year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gee if we get Kelly I hope it's because he's the third best prospect not just because he is a local lad.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearing Josh Kelly is the guy we will choose with pick 3. We rate him as the best midfielder in the draft and believe theres a good chance he will be available with Boyd a certain pick 1 and the highly rated SA kids on Melbourne's radar.

The Cats and Melb to a lesser extent (all over Hogan) made a number of enquiries about him in last years mini draft so we're not alone in rating him very highly.

I've got my reservations about his inside game but what he does have is elite speed and endurance and a deadly left boot. He's in the Stephen Hill category.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Its like picking out new toys for christmas isn't it (6 months later we'll be bored with them, they'll be in the corner broken and we'll wish we'd got the mega-transformer instead). I know Scott has flagged we need classy mids but do you think we would we look at going for a defender maybe with 2 or 3 pick, someone to groom as a creative player from the back. We are going to be losing Fisher, Gilbo, Gwilt, Dempster sooner rather than later. That's a lot of rebound and defensive class gone. Roberton is tough as nails but not sure how well he breaks the lines.

He is surprisingly good Roberton. Watch him next year, he runs and carries a lot. He had a Little Athletics background and looks slow but never gets caught. He just needs a wave of running backs along side him for the future.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Is it a deep draft this year? There have been some shocking years and some great ones. I've got some draft stats I should dig up.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:Pretty short draft this year.

Yes, lots of midfielders this year. They are saying already that there will be plenty of quality KPP's next year. We need to be patient !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

there was a worry with the bergs feet i was told
had a slight pidge foot thing i think
havent see him playing for a few weeks
there was talk of getting it fixed
someone i know who is a family member said they didnt really see much point
was playing fine as it is!

not sure if he did or didt
did he get a gig this week??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:there was a worry with the bergs feet i was told
had a slight pidge foot thing i think
havent see him playing for a few weeks
there was talk of getting it fixed
someone i know who is a family member said they didnt really see much point
was playing fine as it is!

not sure if he did or didt
did he get a gig this week??

I haven't seen much of Scharenbergs form this year and am basing it on last year and the odd report. He certainly goes okay as is. He's a great size to just walk in and play from round one. Sounds like we are into kelly in a big way anyhow. He could be a gun or a disaster- i would have taken him at about 10 behind some of the guys that are around him myself but they would know more than me.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Is it a deep draft this year? There have been some shocking years and some great ones. I've got some draft stats I should dig up.
Different recruiters and experts rate the talent differently however the general consensus is it's an above average draft (better than last year) with a good range of inside midfielders and depth however overall lacking speed and height. James Aish and Josh Kelly the best two mids, Tom Boyd and Cameron McCarthy the two standout key forwards and Matt Sharenberg the most versatile and complete footballer in the draft. There does seem to be a bit of a gap between the top two (Boyd and Aish) and then Sharenberg and Kelly and then another 6 or so you could put a blanket over (Billings, Crouch and Sheed, plus a few others).

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
Munga wrote:Is it a deep draft this year? There have been some shocking years and some great ones. I've got some draft stats I should dig up.
Different recruiters and experts rate the talent differently however the general consensus is it's an above average draft (better than last year) with a good range of inside midfielders and depth however overall lacking speed and height. James Aish and Josh Kelly the best two mids, Tom Boyd and Cameron McCarthy the two standout key forwards and Matt Sharenberg the most versatile and complete footballer in the draft. There does seem to be a bit of a gap between the top two (Boyd and Aish) and then Sharenberg and Kelly and then another 6 or so you could put a blanket over (Billings, Crouch and Sheed, plus a few others).
Good analysis, would it be fair to say that the talent drops away dramatically after say, 25, but chuck a blanket over say, 8-25? Thats my understanding of it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

On paper this year certainly has a better top 25 with plenty of quality big bodied midfielders likely to be available in the mid 20's. Perhaps it drops off after that however I suspect some decent talent will be available up to around pick 40. After that the picks become highly speculative.

Kickit
Club Player

ljpoyz wrote:Know a bloke who works in recruiting at another club, reckons Kelly is the pick of the draft. Rates Scharenburg above Aish but reckons they top 4-5 are all pretty close.

lloyd21 wrote:Agree Gringo had a beer with someone close to club apparently they want Josh Kelly at this stage hope he is wrong .

Scharenburg sounds pretty good based on descriptions.
But I see him as being a bit like Goddard, in that he's a player that will be good to have, rather than a player you need.
StKilda have too many clear needs at the moment. While Scharenburg may end up playing all over the ground, he's very likely to start of playing in the backline, so at the Saints he's be competing for a spot where we actually have a few options.
I'd have actually thought he'd be a good pickup for GWS , who don't really need another tall forward or gun midfielder. But they'll probably get Boyd ( or trade the pick ) anyway for the same reason people climb mount Everest or a dog licks its balls.

lloyd21
Club Player

Just would like to point out a little something.

Patrick Dangerfield was a half back flanker/back pocket most of his time at Geelong Falcons in TAC.

However have been told that if Kelly available by people close to the club he is the one they want.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearing the same Lloyd. Kelly will be the one we select as long as he's available and Boyd isn't. He's rated higher than Aish and Sharenberg by our recruiters.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If whoever we pick up with pick 3 is a dud then Pelican goes.

Guys in the know, who is on our radar for pick 19 ie second round pick?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.