Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Simmo2
Club Player

Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

Try as I might.... I can't hate him.

Infact this week has made me sentimental and I hope Freo do what we couldn't.

For a week... I'm a Docker

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

Simmo2 wrote:Try as I might.... I can't hate him.

Oh dear.

I find it sad people are happy for a team so new to already taste success.

Are you happy for GWS and GC to win flags also?

How about Adelaide? The following year they had won two, more than us.

Heck, why not hope the Dogs win their second before us also.

As fans we need to be more ruthless and hate more

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Simmo2
Club Player

Completely hear you.... But just for this week while we can't control any of it..... May as well jump on board! Plus... I hate the Dawks

shmic_s
Club Player

I can't hate him either... Don't want him to win though.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Simmo2 wrote:Try as I might.... I can't hate him.

Oh dear.

Utter crap. Talk about small minded and childish.

Heres an unpleasant fact. Freo are in the GF and we arent.

Grow up.

Oh yeah, hate really has worked. FFS your posts are embarrassing.

Hope Freo win the flag and the dumb arsed Lyon haters on this forum are made to look like the low browed unintelligent fools any thinking person already knows they are

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
asaint
Club Player

Listening to kosi interview the other day and dal on the footy show tonight, it was obvious how much they liked and respected Ross. They saw a side to the man he never showed the public. They must have been gutted. He tried his best with us. I never thought I would say this either, but hope he does it this time. Besides, I hate the hawks.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Freo and Lyon stiffed us big time
Nup

“Yeah….nah””
noob
Club Player

I'm happy for him.

I just want St.Kilda to keep it's high expectations from when he left off.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

There is a right way to do things ,Lyon didn"t show the supporters or the club any manners and said it was purely a business decision ,well I don"t like the way he does business so no I will not support him!

PADDLEPOP1000
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was disappointed when Ross Lyon decided to leave us for the Fremantle job. But being perfectly honest, the guy had gone as far as he could with us. The manner in which we bowed-out of the 2011 finals race, beaten at our "fortress" by the Sydney Swans with hardly a whimper, convinced me that all was not well, and I was not as angry as many others were about his departure. I'm not going to be bitter and twisted enough to hope that Freo lose, simply because we haven't been successful in the "big one", as JB has said, we've had our chances since '66 to win another flag; 71, 97, 09, 10 (twice) the fact that we missed those chances has nothing to do with anyone else except ourselves. I saw Freo destroy Geelong (on their own midden) and if Hawthorn think they're home and hosed ..BOY are they gonna be in for a surprise! Ross Lyon has proved to be a good coach, though not (yet) a great one. Whether he has the talent /desire / patience to BUILD a premiership side is debatable, I happen to think that he would struggle to BUILD a flag winner from the floor up (as SW is doing) but good luck to him this week GO FREO!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Simmo2
Club Player

Would you have him back once we are close again?? I would

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This whole comparing other teams flag totals to ours is a giant farce.

I realised a few years ago - Freo tasting success or the dogs moving to two won't change how empty I feel in not being able to experience one yet.

So go Freo - spread the love. History in the making on Saturday, at least a new section of fans will get a taste.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I don't hate Ross either. There is still a little resentment in they way he walked out and the shape he left the list in but he genuinely worked his ass off St Kilda. He does look pretty relaxed this week. I'm just curious to see if his manically regimented defensive system will be able to get the ultimate prize on his fourth attempt. If not does raise questions about his teams ability to score enough to win the big one. Would be happy for Freo supporters if they win who have put their bums on seats in big numbers despite the team being treated as a joke. But I think Hawks will have too many weapons. Despite Hodge, Roughhead, Franklin down last week and looking down and out halfway through the last qtr, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hale stepped up. Sign of a great team.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just can't say go anyone, I hope my hubby's team enjoys a win, but no...it's only go saints for me

matrix
Saintsational Legend

go the hawks

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's not about hate, it's about love, love for the game.

It's going to be a cracker of a game...I hope it's dry for the sake of the spectacle.

Best sport in the world to watch.

Sainter93
Club Player

Seeing him on the footy show last night reminded me of how much of an arrogant prick the guy can be.

noddy
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: Oh dear.

Grow up.

Hope Freo win the flag and the dumb arsed Lyon haters on this forum are made to look like the low browed unintelligent fools any thinking person already knows they are
Any Saints fan who wants Freo to win necessarily wants:

A) To reinforce the belief that St Kilda is incapable of winning a flag and you're better off leaving the club if you want success (like the long, long list of people who have already done).
B) To reinforce the belief that what the Saints did in the 09/10 seasons was entirely thanks to Lyon and not the team.
C) To have a whiny, unethical, artificial expansion club who poached a contracted coach and benefited from Sirengate and Whispers in the Sky to be vindicated.
D) To have even more ammunition to throw at us as a 20yo club catches up to a 140yo club.

Any Saints fan who supports Ross is necessarily supporting the guy who:

A) Did great damage to our club by not developing players out of preference for guys like Peake and Polo.
B) Did great damage to our club by mismanaging players (why do you think Ball left?).
C) Did great damage to our club by setting up a media bubble that negatively affected the club's ability to market itself.
D) Did great damage to our club by influencing bad recruiting.
E) Has an enthusiasm-killing, footy-phobic game plan that caused people to hate our club.
F) Is a general asshole.
SAINTSATIONAL FAN FORUM RULES wrote: There will be zero tolerance for baiting, belittling, badgering, bullying or any insulting, abusive behavior...
GO HAWKS

Image In Richo we trust.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If Freo lose, the huge question marks over Lyon's coaching will be magnified. As they should be.

If they win, then the 3 close mates if mine that painfully and arrogantly barrack for the Hawks - will suffer.

So either way, someone's gonna lose and it will be fun to revel in regardless.

Schadenfreude is the only option this time of year if you're not in it!

By the way, a coaching making a professional decision to bail out is fine. A player doing the same is fine. And a club doing it to a player or coach is just as fine.

I've said this for years - the only ones left in the game who clutch on to the romantic notion of loyalty are the fans. No one else in the game does. It's a business - hell, players refer to it as a workplace for f***'s sake!

The other thing, can we please stop referring to premiership tallies as '140 years'? The AFL is only 26 years old. The rules are entirely different to the VFL, to including any premierships from back then is ridiculous.

Totally different ballpark is the AFL to the VFL. Different rules, different setup entirely. We won 1 VFL flag in 120 years.

We have won no AFL flags.

We have however played in 3 AFL grand finals and have a finals record and win/loss ratio up there with the best in the AFL.

So stop feeling sorry for yourselves.

Comparing the VFL and the AFL is like including your sporting achievements from primary school when bragging with mates over a beer. School sports are something that were great and you can be proud of - but they're an entirely different beast to adult organised sports. VFL and AFL are the same.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Grow up.

A) To reinforce the belief that St Kilda is incapable of winning a flag and you're better off leaving the club if you want success (like the long, long list of people who have already done).
B) To reinforce the belief that what the Saints did in the 09/10 seasons was entirely thanks to Lyon and not the team.
C) To have a whiny, unethical, artificial expansion club who poached a contracted coach and benefited from Sirengate and Whispers in the Sky to be vindicated.
D) To have even more ammunition to throw at us as a 20yo club catches up to a 140yo club.

A) Did great damage to our club by not developing players out of preference for guys like Peake and Polo.
B) Did great damage to our club by mismanaging players (why do you think Ball left?).
C) Did great damage to our club by setting up a media bubble that negatively affected the club's ability to market itself.
E) Has an enthusiasm-killing, footy-phobic game plan that caused people to hate our club.
F) Is a general asshole.
SAINTSATIONAL FAN FORUM RULES wrote: There will be zero tolerance for baiting, belittling, badgering, bullying or any insulting, abusive behavior...
GO HAWKS

What a lot of crap. But go with it if it makes you feel better. Go Freo.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:If Freo lose, the huge question marks over Lyon's coaching will be magnified. As they should be.

If they win, then the 3 close mates if mine that painfully and arrogantly barrack for the Hawks - will suffer.

So either way, someone's gonna lose and it will be fun to revel in regardless.

Schadenfreude is the only option this time of year if you're not in it!

By the way, a coaching making a professional decision to bail out is fine. A player doing the same is fine. And a club doing it to a player or coach is just as fine.

I've said this for years - the only ones left in the game who clutch on to the romantic notion of loyalty are the fans. No one else in the game does. It's a business - hell, players refer to it as a workplace for f***'s sake!

The other thing, can we please stop referring to premiership tallies as '140 years'? The AFL is only 26 years old. The rules are entirely different to the VFL, to including any premierships from back then is ridiculous.

Totally different ballpark is the AFL to the VFL. Different rules, different setup entirely. We won 1 VFL flag in 120 years.

We have won no AFL flags.

We have however played in 3 AFL grand finals and have a finals record and win/loss ratio up there with the best in the AFL.

So stop feeling sorry for yourselves.

Comparing the VFL and the AFL is like including your sporting achievements from primary school when bragging with mates over a beer. School sports are something that were great and you can be proud of - but they're an entirely different beast to adult organised sports. VFL and AFL are the same.
Sad in a way re:loyalty

It says the only ones who give a shyte bout the jumper are fans as players/coaches now see it as "work uniform"

Gladly Trevor Barker never did but that's the difference..

“Yeah….nah””
kp83
Club Player

noddy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Grow up.

F) Is a general asshole.
GO HAWKS
Perhaps the worst post of the year...

SAAD
Club Player

Ross is a dog...he is a rat...walking out like he did...not even saying goodbye and letting the players know...could have handled it better...hope he gets bad karma for leaving us like he did...

Strength Through Loyalty...most of our greats have never showed it....Stuff Ross...

felix
Club Player

It's better to have had Ross Lyon and lost than to never have had him at all.

sippo
Club Player

In a political scenario, reminds me of Bill Shorten.