McGuire tried to snare Roo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

McGuire tried to snare Roo

From the HS:

'ST KILDA is up in arms over attempts by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire to snare Nick Riewoldt.

The Saints have slammed McGuire for making direct contact with their skipper about a possible switch to the Magpies.

Collingwood had caught wind of Riewoldt’s disenchantment with his club in recent weeks and boldly made an overture.

St Kilda coach Scott Watters rang McGuire on Wednesday to express his displeasure, adamant Riewoldt was going nowhere.

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold last night confirmed he had also spoken to Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert about McGuire’s conduct.

“I am aware Eddie McGuire will in the course of his media role make contact with players,” Nettlefold told the Herald Sun.

“However, I phoned Gary Pert, my counterpart at Collingwood, to express my disappointment that a conversation of the nature as it has been expressed to me has taken place.

“Nick Riewoldt is a champion of our club, he’s a Saints man through and through and he won’t be going anywhere.”

Asked yesterday about his approaches to Riewoldt, McGuire told the Herald Sun: “I don’t comment on anything to do with trades, (recruiting manager) Derek Hine looks after all the list management at Collingwood.”

Riewoldt, 30, is highly unlikely to leave the Saints, but is known to be concerned with some aspects of the club and the linking of senior teammates Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna to trades.

Speculation is also mounting over unrest within St Kilda’s football department and Watters’ forceful management style.

Free agent Dal Santo is being courted by North Melbourne, but the club said no formal offer had been tabled.

Riewoldt, who is holidaying with his wife in the US, spoke to the club via Skype on Wednesday and is said to be satisfied with what he heard.

As a contracted player, any move away from Seaford for Riewoldt would require a trade.

St Kida has emphatically dismissed speculation about his future, declaring he is a Saint for life.

“Nick Riewoldt will not be traded,” football boss Chris Pelchen said in a statement on Monday.

McGuire is a long-time acquaintance of Riewoldt and has advised him on non-football matters.'

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: McGuire tried to snare Roo

So what, this happens in business all the time. Eddies doing his job like any head of a company, if Roo wanted out we should be more concerned.

Before Im 85
noob
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:So what, this happens in business all the time. Eddies doing his job like any head of a company, if Roo wanted out we should be more concerned.
Exactly. We would try and snare Pendlebury if we could..

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Could be a ploy by Eddie. Make us think he is after Roo when really they want someone else, we spend time making sure they don't get him and lose focus on someone else. Would they really want someone over 30 with a bit of a suspect knee?

Saint John
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I like the fact that Watters has a tough management style. Contradicts the "cuddles" persona.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Roo is not happy some things at the club...I wonder what they are or who they are?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I like the fact that Watters has a tough management style. Contradicts the "cuddles" persona.

He certainly aint a cuddles person. Whoever thought that was wrong. By the way any coach should have done what he did. Why did he do it to North when Dal met the leadership group there?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I like the fact that Watters has a tough management style. Contradicts the "cuddles" persona.

He certainly aint a cuddles person. Whoever thought that was wrong. By the way any coach should have done what he did. Why did he do it to North when Dal met the leadership group there?
Who cares. Only the insiders close to that issue would know. What you should be asking is who is leaking and why are they leaking and what is their agenda.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who cares. Only the insiders close to that issue would know. What you should be asking is who is leaking and why are they leaking and what is their agenda.

Who cares about what? Only the insiders would know what? And who is leaking what?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who cares about what? Only the insiders would know what? And who is leaking what?
Exactly. I'm referring to all of these types of stories that surface around this time of year. In many cases they are well orchestrated for a reason. Can you think of a reason?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:]

Exactly. I'm referring to all of these types of stories that surface around this time of year. In many cases they are well orchestrated for a reason. Can you think of a reason?

No i cant think of a reason at all but im sure you have some wild idea. I thought we were talking about SW being a cuddles person and you say he isnt because of his response to Eddie and then me asking why wsnt there the same response to North when they actually let Dal meet the leadership group.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No i cant think of a reason at all but im sure you have some wild idea. I thought we were talking about SW being a cuddles person and you say he isnt because of his response to Eddie and then me asking why wsnt there the same response to North when they actually let Dal meet the leadership group.
Ok if you are going to be like that then I'll finish my breakfast in peace. Maybe get hold of your third cousin for some insight.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Ok if you are going to be like that then I'll finish my breakfast in peace. Maybe get hold of your third cousin for some insight.

The question is do you actually ever answer a question? I think you need to change your name to the riddler because you clearly talk in riddles.

kimberly saint
Club Player

spert wrote:Roo is not happy some things at the club...I wonder what they are or who they are?
from wat i read it is because the club is shoping around his long term team mates in monty del fish etc, only from wat i read. must just not want be stuck at training and functions with bunch pimple faced teenagers :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:
spert wrote:Roo is not happy some things at the club...I wonder what they are or who they are?
from wat i read it is because the club is shoping around his long term team mates in monty del fish etc, only from wat i read. must just not want be stuck at training and functions with bunch pimple faced teenagers :D
or dwarf burners??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Great to see the club get on the front foot and flex some muscle against a power club.

This should please the people that think we never stand up for ourselves. From what I understand it is SW and Pelchen standing strong against anyone that doesn't buy into their plan.

PJ
SS Life Member

He said that she said that they didn't know but he also said that if he knew what he'd said then he would not have said it in the first place. So if you follow the line that he was alluding to the original conversation that he said about what she said then he probably won't say it about what he said........and then nothing happened

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
kimberly saint
Club Player

good to see the guys go into bat for the club , but this sort stuff would happen day in day out surely . They all now each other see each other outside footy

jimmy_slats
Club Player

f you eddie.... i want half!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Rumour was that the outgoing Saints president approached Eddie to become our president and also to bring his club captain with him.

Watters and the board knoicked it on the head citing their NO DICKHEADS POLICY.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Makes me questions McGuire's judgement to a degree

Nick is my favorite saint of all time, love him... Won't even contemplate trading him.

That said, respectfully, whilst he is still playing good footy, he's north of 30, has a bad knee and would be expensive

Surely he's worth way more to us than anyone else... I would think that trade wise he wld cost too much for a club to pick up and get value out of.

What do ppl think he is worth on the market? I wouldn't trade him (at all) for anything less than at least a first rounder minimum

Odd

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If our captain has been publicly airing his grievances with the club they should have traded him. His past has nothing to do with the future. He made a bad move and should be stripped of his captaincy if he sets a foot wrong again. No more lunatics running the asylum. Fisher should be traded out as well.

Eddie has always had a conflict of interest and the AFL has allowed it. Just another little bit of eroded integrity the current chief allowed to creep in.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If our captain has been publicly airing his grievances with the club they should have traded him. His past has nothing to do with the future. He made a bad move and should be stripped of his captaincy if he sets a foot wrong again. No more lunatics running the asylum. Fisher should be traded out as well.

Eddie has always had a conflict of interest and the AFL has allowed it. Just another little bit of eroded integrity the current chief allowed to creep in.
Dont know how this is the Saints fault gringo?

All the "rumours" about the Saints have been proven false.

There seems to be some type of orchastrated effort to distablise the Saints this off season.

Started by malicious rumours and innuendo by Mark Fine, screaming hysterically, then we had MASS EXODUS of senior players (again totally incorrect), then Roo of to Collingwood (coach and CEO publicly tell Collingwood and McGuire to F*** Off).

There has been no evidence that any of the above is true, and there is no evidence that Roo publicly aired any grievences. In fact I heard an ex champion footballer on redio this morning telling the world that Nick Riewoldt told him that he would NEVER leave the Saints and was excited to be part of the renewal and rebuild.

So I dont think any blame can be slated towards the Saints. Until there is some type of fact behind these rumour mill, I will back the club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What a silly move on pies behalf....

Roos a champ, but he is a ageing veteran with dodgy knees.

I'd be annoyed as a pies fan.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Makes me questions McGuire's judgement to a degree

Nick is my favorite saint of all time, love him... Won't even contemplate trading him.

That said, respectfully, whilst he is still playing good footy, he's north of 30, has a bad knee and would be expensive

Surely he's worth way more to us than anyone else... I would think that trade wise he wld cost too much for a club to pick up and get value out of.

What do ppl think he is worth on the market? I wouldn't trade him (at all) for anything less than at least a first rounder minimum

Odd
I was surprised more teams like Hawthorn or Sydney (got buddy now) weren't going after him. Didn't Sheehan rank him 25th best player or thereabouts. In a team that struggles to get the football into its forward line he has been outstanding this year. Knee is a bit of a worry but with his insane work ethic and natural gifts of height and stamina he could go anther 2-3 years easy. For a team like Freo (gulp) you could even use him as swingman - in the ruck, on the wing, in the middle etc. But I love our clubs response. He will be held up as the very model for future players of how you prepare and compete out on the field.