Watters' position is now untenable

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Watters' position is now untenable

Caroline Wilson reports today that the Board considered sacking Watters due to the poisonous relationships which now exist within the club. But of course, all of this was predictable as I have said for a number of years. And here is the fundamental problem:

"Watters' relationship with his senior players has been an ongoing issue this season as his working partnership with football boss Chris Pelchen has continued to hit serious hurdles, partly due to a clash over authority.

A number of attempts to mediate between Watters and Pelchen have taken place over recent weeks with the Andrew Thompson-led football review underlining Pelchen's seniority, and Watters instructed to report directly to his departmental head."

This was a significant issue in the departure of the previous coach and will prove an insurmountable obstacle if we ever want to hire a top notch coach in the future. The Board's policy is simply wrong. You can only have one person in change of the football side of things at a football club, and that has to be the coach.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z2hpGJ7UH9

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters' position is now untenable

How on earth Watters could or would want to carry on as coach under those circumstances is beyond me. Something rotten in the state of Seaford. *Edit* What I meant to say is that there appears to be instability at the club again, and why would Watters want to work in that environment where some people at board level are obviously ready to chop him.
Last edited by spert on Wed 16 Oct 2013 8:06am, edited 1 time in total.

kaos theory
Club Player

Why is it wrong? The coach needs to report to the head of football. The fact that in the past we had a coach controlling everything was wrong and caused problems under GT & RL. What we have know is the correct model.

oh when the
Club Player

Maybe the dog's wagging the tail at last.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I remember a quote from Mickey Milkshake when Scott took over. It was to the effect that you had to be in charge of everything as coach. Every little detail. Maybe Scott took that a bit literally. Everyone has to report to someone.

Ideally everyone would be working together towards the same goal, and power struggles not required. Real pity that selfish behaviour is holding the club back. Both Pelchen and Watters to blame, but where was Nettlefold, and the previous President? Poor management is our history,,would love them to sort it out.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:Maybe the dog's wagging the tail at last.
Interesting observation...

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It seems that everyone now is on the same page and the club is moving forward

Great to hear!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:why would Watters want to work in that environment where some people at board level are obviously ready to chop him.
Cause it's the only head coach role he will probably ever get, getting paid $500,000 per year… hang on for dear life I say. What do assistants earn 50 - 100?
Last edited by dragit on Wed 16 Oct 2013 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have we finally got rid of the "leak" ?

Did I read somewhere that Caro know Nettles wife socially?

Perhaps his departing shot at Scott?

If he survives or not, I'm embarrassed at how things have gone down.

Either it resolves his demeanour to turn this place around, or (and I wouldn't blame him) he walks away in disgust

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's a nothing article. States absolutely nothing that we should be reacting to on this very day that hasn't already been dealt with and discussed to death over the past few weeks. Caro is just countering her comrades for their articles published the day before over at News Ltd. Surely we have learnt to check facts reported by the media before jumping to conclusion.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The herald sun article has similiar info in differant light, with quotes not assumptions

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jimmy_slats
Club Player

she is the scum of the earth why would anyone take anything she says seriously...

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
saintlee
Club Player

Interesting article. We know there has been something brewing down at Seaford, thats why the board undertook the review. The board have backed Pelchen's authority as head of football, so it seems that SW needs to pull his head in or leave.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: High on hearsay sun

saintbrat wrote:The herald sun article has similiar info in differant light, with quotes not assumptions

The very existance of the herald sun is deeply anchored in assumptions and stories for pre-teens.

Haven't read it obviously - just cant read any sentences from that waste of space paper product.

It's Spring and the St.Kilda template for big spring /summer 'Stories' is on the desks for ambitious 'sports' journalists. My default reaction is to take none of it seriously and to pat myself on the back for not wasting $ on pseudo journalism.
Made that decision a few years ago and happier for it.

The club seem to be genuinely behind SW. I can understand his frustrations with senior players getting the flick but it's part of the pain of this rebuild. Just heard sen announcing their poll reg: SW contract extension.

Hope no-one at the club is silly enough to be lead around by the media on this one !

JUST KEEP DRAFTING V. WELL SAINTS.
THAT'S WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:she is the scum of the earth why would anyone take anything she says seriously...
Funny how many thought she was the best thing since sliced bread when she was reporting on Essendon.

Suddenly she is garbage because she presented some facts about the Saints.

Does anyone think it is a co-incidence that the new Pres ordered a full club review?

Nobody was sacked, reporting positions were clarified.

Watters still has a year to go of his contract, maybe if he takes on board the review recommendations he will get an extension.

Contrary to many, I believe that results on field next season will mean little regarding Watters.

The whole club is painfully aware where we stand as far as the playing list is concerned.

If Watters is being judged on that, well yes his position is untenable. But I believe he will be judged moreso how the football department works from here on in.

Results are important, but and here is that word....process....will be just as important.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:she is the scum of the earth why would anyone take anything she says seriously...
Funny how many thought she was the best thing since sliced bread when she was reporting on Essendon.

Does anyone think it is a co-incidence that the new Pres ordered a full club review?

Watters still has a year to go of his contract, maybe if he takes on board the review recommendations he will get an extension.

Contrary to many, I believe that results on field next season will mean little regarding Watters.

The whole club is painfully aware where we stand as far as the playing list is concerned.

If Watters is being judged on that, well yes his position is untenable. But I believe he will be judged moreso how the football department works from here on in.

Results are important, but and here is that word....process....will be just as important.

100% correct.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:Why is it wrong? The coach needs to report to the head of football. The fact that in the past we had a coach controlling everything was wrong and caused problems under GT & RL. What we have know is the correct model.
Agreed. It is the correct model; the model most (if not all) the other clubs implement.

The fact is, the club has conducted it's review and the conclusion is that SW shouldn't be sacked. Whether that's purely down to the club's wish to avoid a pay out for SW is another thing.

The thing that I actually enjoyed about the article was that we were head-hunting Trevor Nisbett. We haven't had a quality CEO in a long time and it's much needed; we have to cast the net far and wide.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

110% Correct.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:It seems that everyone now is on the same page and the club is moving forward

Great to hear!!
Funny, but that's also the way I see it.

Some issues arose, which is to expected during such a phase.

And we're professionally managing these issues, and appear to be moving forward without any semblance of implosion.

I actually think this is really positive and the club should be applauded.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The Mark Fines of this world, and some on here, would rather drop their bundles and panic, and start sacking everyone.

But the club has managed this very professionally and responsibly thus far.

And on a side note, isn't it funny that when you're the whipping boy of the month, trying to make play for a highly respected CEO is mocked. But if a flavour of the month club did it, it would be heralded as brave and smart!

jaxons
Club Player

The moment the players organised dwarfs at Mad Monday Watters position was untenable.
For those smart enough to realize who the dwarfs were representative of shows how the coach is viewed by the playing group.
We need to bite the bullet now and change things before 2014 becomes a waste of time.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:The moment the players organised dwarfs at Mad Monday Watters position was untenable.
For those smart enough to realize who the dwarfs were representative of shows how the coach is viewed by the playing group.
We need to bite the bullet now and change things before 2014 becomes a waste of time.

interesting........ :shock:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think that is sensationalising it. Jay Clarke was saying the same thing yesterday but more positively. The whole way she reported the deal with Big Mac shows she is trying to salt some wounds. Like it was done with out him knowing and he came back from holiday with his locker out on the footpath. There is tension but there seems to be some resolution to move forward.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:The Mark Fines of this world, and some on here, would rather drop their bundles and panic, and start sacking everyone.

But the club has managed this very professionally and responsibly thus far.

And on a side note, isn't it funny that when you're the whipping boy of the month, trying to make play for a highly respected CEO is mocked. But if a flavour of the month club did it, it would be heralded as brave and smart!
Absolutely Johnny,

Everything we are doing is being scoffed at. Everything.
All clubs have internal reviews, it isnt new.
It is popular to sink the boots in to stkilda. This is where the football community want us. It killed them when we were doing well.
And for the first time "trade month" is being sponsored. it is officially the "gillette trade month". So now that it is being sponsored, it needs to be front page.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

What did Caro mean on AW last night when she said "Losing Ball was the beginning of the END for St Kilda" The END of what?

Listening to Russell, Shaw and Caro last night, you would have thought St Kilda had killed Bambi. We are still copping it daily in most forms of the media and it's getting very boring. How are the Bears and Bombers travelling?