Delaney the ace in the pack - AFL.com

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Delaney the ace in the pack - AFL.com

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-04/d ... -schneider
"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delaney the ace in the pack - AFL.com

Con Gorozidis wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-04/d ... -schneider
"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

I fail to understand your fascination with guys who lift big weights or look massive. Having looked at our best players in the last 10 years I see Rooy, lenny, Milney and a couple of others who lift normal weights and arent massive in the body. maybe the most overated thing in footy these days.

SAAD
Club Player

Lenny is pretty muscular

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Like the look of Delaney ,he reminds me a lot of Scott Thonpson who could not get a go at Geelong!Had a look at some video of him and liked what i saw!

PADDLEPOP1000
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Like the look of Delaney ,he reminds me a lot of Scott Thonpson who could not get a go at Geelong!
Scott Thompson played for Geelong VFL but he was never on Geelong's list, so it's not surprising he didn't get a senior game for them.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

My Apoligies!

PADDLEPOP1000
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As long as Delaney doesn't end up as the joker, or worse still a deuce, I'll be happy!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I fail to understand your fascination with guys who lift big weights or look massive. Having looked at our best players in the last 10 years I see Rooy, lenny, Milney and a couple of others who lift normal weights and arent massive in the body. maybe the most overated thing in footy these days.

Agree but I think it depends how you read the comment - new recruits struggle for size, they get pushed off the all. Maybe the comment was amount being a size ready to play??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Agree but I think it depends how you read the comment - new recruits struggle for size, they get pushed off the all. Maybe the comment was amount being a size ready to play??

Well Murdoch played about 3 games last season and Saunders played more. means jack in the long run or even in the short run if players arent good enough.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Strength is a very important and is why AFL clubs and their supporters are very fascinated by it. Some guys gain strength by bulking up and then there are guys that are on the leaner side yet are have a very good strength to weight factor. Condition however is a different attribute all together and is arguably just as important if not more so and that only comes with training and playing.

When it comes to key backs I'd like to think we will have maybe at least two power backs that can take on the power forwards which is probably going to being even more important with this next generation of potential star power/monster forwards emerging such as Dixon and Boyd. Tall power forwards looks like it is going to be the next big thing, maybe even some players that will rival the Lockett/Dunstal era.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im excited by dunstan cos i reckon he can play seniors in 2014.

acres and billings have more upside long term but we need to be patient with them for a few years.

as for the weights - depends what positon you play.
dunstan as an insider who lacks pace will need to be very strong to play his position.

weights havent hindered tommy curren either and armo and len dog are both built for their positions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:im excited by dunstan cos i reckon he can play seniors in 2014.

acres and billings have more upside long term but we need to be patient with them for a few years.

dunstan as an insider who lacks pace will need to be very strong to play his position.

weights havent hindered tommy curren either and armo and len dog are both built for their positions.

Wouldnt you be more excited by Acres and Billings if they have more upside. matters little what the young guys do this year, what matters is what they do in 2,3 or 4 years time. Weights havent hindered Curren. Are you sure. he has played 5 games in 3 years.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We" ll wait and see on Curren ,but I would say the work he has put into his body has got him this far!

PADDLEPOP1000
Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:im excited by dunstan cos i reckon he can play seniors in 2014.

Wouldnt you be more excited by Acres and Billings if they have more upside. matters little what the young guys do this year, what matters is what they do in 2,3 or 4 years time. Weights havent hindered Curren. Are you sure. he has played 5 games in 3 years.
What is the point of this post Plugger?

Con merely stated he is excited by Dunstan as he is the one we are most likely to see in '14. I think this is universally accepted. Not that he was more or less excited in comparison to Billings and Acres. Just excited.

What he may or may not do in '14 may or may not matter. If he plays 4-6 games and looks way out of his depth, that may mean he is not up to it which effects us in 2,3 or 4 years time. A wasted draft pick? He may develop very well in the VFL and by '15 be a starting mid.. A big tick. It may mean Lenny can go on again.

As for Curren, he may have played no games in the last 3 years without his weight work. Facts are 5 games in 3 years with gym work has got him onto the senior list. Thats a win.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What is the point of this post Plugger?

Con merely stated he is excited by Dunstan as he is the one we are most likely to see in '14. I think this is universally accepted. Not that he was more or less excited in comparison to Billings and Acres. Just excited.

What he may or may not do in '14 may or may not matter. If he plays 4-6 games and looks way out of his depth, that may mean he is not up to it which effects us in 2,3 or 4 years time. A wasted draft pick? He may develop very well in the VFL and by '15 be a starting mid.. A big tick. It may mean Lenny can go on again.

As for Curren, he may have played no games in the last 3 years without his weight work. Facts are 5 games in 3 years with gym work has got him onto the senior list. Thats a win.

The point of the post is to comment on what he said. What is the point of your post? I just dont get it and you or I have no idea if the weights helped or hurt Curren. Con has previously had a go at Milera and TDL for not being big enough and gets excited about guys whop look big. My point is we have a weights coach who would have more idea than anyone on here and also my point is weights matter little if you arent good enough. If my post has no point yours has less than no point.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:If my post has no point yours has less than no point.
Like giving 110%.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If my post has no point yours has less than no point.
Like giving 110%.

Exactly. matter of fact less than no point maybe means it has a point so i get the point.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

We had a bloke named Gehrig on the list a few years ago. There were stories that he held/holds the Bench Press record for the AFL. He could play a bit too !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It"s fair to assume that in most cases weights do help and in some cases the strength and weights conditioning turns good ordinary footballers into excellent footballers ,Shane Heard for example !

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:It"s fair to assume that in most cases weights do help and in some cases the strength and weights conditioning turns good ordinary footballers into excellent footballers ,Shane Heard for example !

Of course weights help otherwise no one would do them. Who would think otherwise. Im not sure a footballer who played 20 years ago is a good example for today. We have weights coaches now and every single player is given a program and monitered. Eastern brought up gehrig but i doubt they would let a player get that big now as they usually lose the mobility required for the game these days. Daw is huge but he has far from made it yet. I think footballers are smaller than they were 5 years and 10 years ago due to the amount of running required in the game. Big sized footballers are overated weights arent overated.

merimbula
Club Player

One poster on this thread is very boring!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

merimbula wrote:One poster on this thread is very boring!

Agreed. How boring is a post telling people another poster is boring.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think the strength issue is relevant when it comes to our team. I've seen a lot of very talented footballers in our team of recent that get pushed off the ball or muscled out of the contest way too easily. Not sure if just weights is the answer however strength is the problem.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
savatage
SS Life Member

I think strength and mass in important when talking about inside midfielders!!

This is obviously the context the original quote was intended, yet......

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Surely there's no doubt that a bloke who can bench a small car has an advantage when it comes to legally pushing an opponent in the chest in a contest?

If our players are strong and athletic surely it's something to get excited about, rather than seeing them get pushed off so easily.

Doesn't matter where they play, that strength is vital, can mean a millisecond of getting to the ball before the opposition.