Simpkin and Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Simpkin and Siposs

Looking at the footage and images on the club website etc Simpkin looks to be fighting fit and perhaps up for a big year - Siposs looks to be well off the pace and maybe struggling a bit - maybe has slipped behind a bit after last years surgery ..?.

Anyone got any info on how they are travelling ??

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simpkin and Siposs

saint6709 wrote:Looking at the footage and images on the club website etc Simpkin looks to be fighting fit and perhaps up for a big year - Siposs looks to be well off the pace and maybe struggling a bit - maybe has slipped behind a bit after last years surgery ..?.

The real clue is when the season begins, this time of the year they are training the house down and are the fittest they've ever been after the hardest pre-season ever. :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Siposs has always struggled imo against the elite fitter blokes. He needs a rocket to be honest as talent only gets you so far. For his sake, I hope Richo takes him under his wing as he could be anything.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Looking at the footage and images on the club website etc Simpkin looks to be fighting fit and perhaps up for a big year - Siposs looks to be well off the pace and maybe struggling a bit - maybe has slipped behind a bit after last years surgery ..?.

you can tell all of that from one photo of siposs........??????... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how they want to play Siposs this season... that's the real question.

He doesn't need to have elite fitness to be a stay at home forward... but does if they intend to push him through the middle

Personally, I like him up forward more and think he is the type of player that would do better with an improved anaerobic system as opposed to an aerobic one.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Certainly at the crossroads of their careers right now these two chaps.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I wonder how they want to play Siposs this season... that's the real question.

He doesn't need to have elite fitness to be a stay at home forward... but does if they intend to push him through the middle

Personally, I like him up forward more and think he is the type of player that would do better with an improved anaerobic system as opposed to an aerobic one.

I think footy has changed. Every single player nearly needs to be close to elite fitness these days otherwise the player is far to limited especislly as he isnt a big forward anyway.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:I wonder how they want to play Siposs this season... that's the real question.

I think footy has changed. Every single player nearly needs to be close to elite fitness these days otherwise the player is far to limited especislly as he isnt a big forward anyway.
Also the only guys who come close to stay at home forwards are key forward types, which Siposs isn't big enough to play. He'll need to be a mobile forward rather than a target, hope he can get his fitness right.

Not sure where Simpkin fits in, seems to be around our 10th defender at this stage.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin will struggle to get games. He's competing for a position against Gilbert, Roberton, Dempster and Fisher who are all more agile at a similar height. Simpkin is a key defender in a flanker/midfielders body.

A hold more hope for Siposs making it into a regular best 22 player because he has more tools. I hope he becomes a dangerous medium forward that can run through the midfield to give the regular mids a rest. The issue is he doesn't have the base tank other juniors have because he played his junior footy as a key forward. He's showed and rightfully so given his background that he will need more pre seasons under his belt than most others.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Simpkin will struggle to get games. He's competing for a position against Gilbert, Roberton, Dempster and Fisher who are all more agile at a similar height. Simpkin is a key defender in a flanker/midfielders body.

A hold more hope for Siposs making it into a regular best 22 player because he has more tools. I hope he becomes a dangerous medium forward that can run through the midfield to give the regular mids a rest. The issue is he doesn't have the base tank other juniors have because he played his junior footy as a key forward. He's showed and rightfully so given his background that he will need more pre seasons under his belt than most others.

I think Simpkin and Siposs are probably neck and neck right now. Both are a little undersized for the roles they are best suited to. They are the blokes directly in the firing line if they don't get a move on. Siposs comes with more hype but Simpkin is no better off if he doesn't get moving.

There are so many good kids coming in behind them competition for spots is hotting up. Simpkin probably has to reinvent himself (the Farren Ray type role could suit) and Siposs just has to demand his spot in the team.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Simpkin is a key defender in a flanker/midfielders body
Wow!
http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/tom-simpkin
Height: 191cm
Weight: 92kg

So was this bloke, then...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hudghton
Weight: 93kg

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Simpkin will struggle to get games. He's competing for a position against Gilbert, Roberton, Dempster and Fisher who are all more agile at a similar height. Simpkin is a key defender in a flanker/midfielders body.

I think Simpkin and Siposs are probably neck and neck right now. Both are a little undersized for the roles they are best suited to. They are the blokes directly in the firing line if they don't get a move on. Siposs comes with more hype but Simpkin is no better off if he doesn't get moving.

There are so many good kids coming in behind them competition for spots is hotting up. Simpkin probably has to reinvent himself (the Farren Ray type role could suit) and Siposs just has to demand his spot in the team.
Most definitely agree, I like Simpkin but I reckon you are spot on that he needs to reinvent himself. It's one thing being a tough SOB but he needs to show more. Perhaps he plays the Max Rooke type role up forward or as you say transitions into the midfield.

I often hear Siposs is lazy but I reckon he just lacks the fitness others do for reasons I said above. I doubt he will ever become a regular midfielder but he can become a part timer that can give the regular mids a chop out when required.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Both are in trouble IMHO - Simpkin needs to hang in there until Dempster and Fisher retire.

Siposs has to compete as a fwd against Lee and then as a defender against some young gun like Webster.

Cant see Siposs getting a game.

Possibly we will keep Simpkin on the list because we know Fisher and Dempster will be gone in 2 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Wow!

key forwards / defenders are taller than they were in Max's era. Have a look at the height of players Max use to play against and compare them with todays forwards.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Wow!

key forwards / defenders are taller than they were in Max's era. Have a look at the height of players Max use to play against and compare them with todays forwards.
Max finished in 2009...Not that long ago...He still played on Hall, Fevola, Lloyd and, most importantly, Franklin. None of those are/were wanting for height!
look, if you don't like Simpkin then just say so...don't make up stuff to justify it, though.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: look, if you don't like Simpkin then just say so...don't make up stuff to justify it, though.
How about you take your own advice?

I won't waste anymore of my time discussing this with you.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote: look, if you don't like Simpkin then just say so...don't make up stuff to justify it, though.

I've proven my stuff with facts whereas you...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Guys like Fev were short too though, I met him at my kids footy club and he was about my height 6'1" in the old measurement. Lloyd wasn't a huge KPP either. max struggled against the big guys but we always had some one to play a proper full back role around him like Scarlett at Geelong did too. Max struggled against the David Nietz stand your ground types but was more a defender in the mould of SOS who would use his leap to get up and spoil and a bit of nous to position themselves well. He would be about as effective as Fisher is against the big boys like Cloke, Patton, Brown etc. He would have been good on the Cameron, Jack Riewoldt types though as he could keep pace with those running talls and didn't give them space to lead into and frustrated them into dropping their game standards.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Right, I'll bite.

First of all, how about you research properly.....Such as look over Max's career span (not only his last season when he couldn't get a game ahead of Dawson and I can hardly recall him playing on Buddy) and who he mostly played against then look at the height of these players not only a select three of them which ironically doesn't back up your opinion all that much:
Fev 191cm
Lloyd 192cm
Carey 192cm
Lynch 193cm
Bradshaw 191cm
Modra 188cm
Neitz 193cm
Hall and Rocca I'll give you as taller types for their era

Second of all, compare the height of those players Max played against with the key forwards getting around nowadays:
Cloke 196cm
J Riewoldt 195cms
Walker 194cm
Tippett 203cm
Buddy 196cm
Petrie 197cm

Last of all, look at the height of the 'new breed' of tall forwards coming through:
Hogan 195cm
Daniher 201cm
Patton 199cm
Boyd 199cm
Lynch (GCS) 199cm
Day 196cm
Dixon 200cm
Cameron 196cm

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Right, I'll bite.

First of all, how about you research properly.....Such as look over Max's career span (not only his last season when he couldn't get a game ahead of Dawson and I can hardly recall him playing on Buddy) and who he mostly played against then look at the height of these players not only a select three of them which ironically doesn't back up your opinion all that much:
Fev 191cm
Lloyd 192cm
Carey 192cm
Lynch 193cm
Bradshaw 191cm
Modra 188cm
Neitz 193cm
Hall and Rocca I'll give you as taller types for their era

Second of all, compare the height of those players Max played against with the key forwards getting around nowadays:
Cloke 196cm
J Riewoldt 195cms
Walker 194cm
Tippett 203cm
Buddy 196cm
Petrie 197cm

Last of all, look at the height of the 'new breed' of tall forwards coming through:
Hogan 195cm
Daniher 201cm
Patton 199cm
Boyd 199cm
Lynch (GCS) 199cm
Day 196cm
Dixon 200cm
Cameron 196cm
I rewatched that late season sydney match recently and Blake was on Tippett and got absolutely towelled. The size of modern forwards is frightening for defenders. I still remember Gwilt playing on Sandilands at the dome when he went forward and it was like one of the Auskick kids was still on the field. Compare that to guys like Baldock who was about 177cm and a forward and Roy Cazaly was a 180cm ruckman. Even Polly farmer was only about 190 cm and a ruck.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
I rewatched that late season sydney match recently and Blake was on Tippett and got absolutely towelled. The size of modern forwards is frightening for defenders. I still remember Gwilt playing on Sandilands at the dome when he went forward and it was like one of the Auskick kids was still on the field. Compare that to guys like Baldock who was about 177cm and a forward and Roy Cazaly was a 180cm ruckman. Even Polly farmer was only about 190 cm and a ruck.
Yea it's totally different nowadays. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was watching the 'big' full forwards such as Plugger, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Sumich and Modra in the early 90's when bagging 10 goals was the norm. That's not even that long ago and those guys range from 185 - 191cms. As a kid I remember them being giants. Even Sumich was only 190 and I use to think he was an absolute monster. There's know way he would get a gig as a key forward in todays era.....And Dunstall at 188 and Ablett at 185 - wow.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I rewatched that late season sydney match recently and Blake was on Tippett and got absolutely towelled. The size of modern forwards is frightening for defenders. I still remember Gwilt playing on Sandilands at the dome when he went forward and it was like one of the Auskick kids was still on the field. Compare that to guys like Baldock who was about 177cm and a forward and Roy Cazaly was a 180cm ruckman. Even Polly farmer was only about 190 cm and a ruck.
So if we're gonna peak in about 8 years time we best start recruiting Key Forwards & Key Backs who will all grow to about 210cm :shock: :P

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jeremy Cameron = 196cm
Tippet = 198cm

They are the new key fwd prototypes. Both will kick over 600 career goals.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Jeremy Cameron = 196cm
Tippet = 198cm

They are the new key fwd prototypes. Both will kick over 600 career goals.
Yup, and Jake Carlisle 198cm and Josh Bruce 197cm the prototype key defenders. I had to put Brucey in there 8-)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:
Yea it's totally different nowadays. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was watching the 'big' full forwards such as Plugger, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Sumich and Modra in the early 90's when bagging 10 goals was the norm. That's not even that long ago and those guys range from 185 - 191cms. As a kid I remember them being giants. Even Sumich was only 190 and I use to think he was an absolute monster. There's know way he would get a gig as a key forward in todays era.....And Dunstall at 188 and Ablett at 185 - wow.

Someone told me Rene Kink played at Full forward at times and he was 183cm. Dunstall was 188. Dunstall seemed pretty big when I was young.