swan new CEO ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jimmy_slats
Club Player

swan new CEO ?

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... -st-kilda/

interesting not sure weather this would be good or not? any thoughts?

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: swan new CEO ?

I think good.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

In a heartbeat....I would take him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HIs bio doesn't sound overly impressive - apparently he went to school and played cricket.
Thats about it... hardly a dazzling education or business background.

but heck - id still take him i think. Knows his way around a footy club and won't be bullied by Pelchen. Simply has to be better than nettlefold (which would not be hard).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Swann

Saints94
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:In a heartbeat....I would take him
+1.

howlinwolf
Club Player

He's not afraid to speak his mind which is something we haven't been great at of late.
He called Essendope out as cheats on the radio. It's what everyone believes but pretty bold to come out and say it publicly.
Could be a good option to have someone that'll stand up for us.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Greg Swann & Andrew Ireland would be at the top of my list. Hadn't mentioned Swann before because I didn't think he'd leave Carlton or be available. This would be super news if true.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Swann would be our best recruit since Pelchen.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we need someone who can stick up for us against the AFL and also who can rise above the internal politics that can dog the saints.

So yep - hope its true. He'd be a good get.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:HIs bio doesn't sound overly impressive - apparently he went to school and played cricket.

but heck - id still take him i think. Knows his way around a footy club and won't be bullied by Pelchen. Simply has to be better than nettlefold (which would not be hard).

I'd regard that as a plus; some of the smartest business people do not have any formal education.

Anyone who hangs their hat on their education and how many degrees they have has never done anything worthwhile.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about this either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good get IMO. He will certainly raise the profile of the club with regard to potential sponsors - something we desperately need right now.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:HIs bio doesn't sound overly impressive - apparently he went to school and played cricket.

I'd regard that as a plus; some of the smartest business people do not have any formal education.

Anyone who hangs their hat on their education and how many degrees they have has never done anything worthwhile.

Agreed. A tertiary qualification is only good/relevant for the first job you get after you complete it. They quickly date - experience lasts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I might be wrong but I don't think there's much substance to this. It hasn't been widely reported and Eddy is probably just trying to stir up the old enemy. He's also covered his arse with the last sentence.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Not much to that article really. Everyone knows we are hunting around for a new CEO. As part of the process I am sure we would have asked a few of the current CEO's their opinion on who might be around and if they would be interested.

Wouldn't surprise if Eddie was stirring the pot again.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Agreed. A tertiary qualification is only good/relevant for the first job you get after you complete it. They quickly date - experience lasts.
I agree to a point - it doesn't mean anything compared to experience.

On the other hand - from a bigger societal perspective - how do you get the 'experience' in the first place? Just a system of mates, kins and family networks is also not a great one.

The fact is we live in a system that makes you jump hoops. Ill bet none of you want to use a surgeon with zero formal education. So dissing education is just as silly as 'hanging your hat on how many degrees you have'. I think a case by case approach is the right way to go - in this guys case - he seems like a good candidate.
Like you pav - i don't like the flogs who want to hang their hat on degrees - but neither am i impressed by the flogs who crap on about the 'university of the real world'. Judge everyone on their own merits is my approach.

spot on
Club Player

really hope this is true. we need an experienced ceo who has got the job done before, im just not sure why he would leave carlton to come to the saints.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

I worked with a bloke who was a board member at the Northern Bullants and they used to refer to Swan as "Sir Lunchalot".

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Must have something to do with a job at AVJ

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:I worked with a bloke who was a board member at the Northern Bullants and they used to refer to Swan as "Sir Lunchalot".
In fairness, most CEOs get on the gravy train well

I think his football admin experience would be good

“Yeah….nah””
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Have any of you thought that this might be nothing more than a bit of "GRANDSTANDING" on the part of Eddie? He did say that this was HOT news 2 weeks ago but has now gone luke-warm (his getout). Don't forget that Swan & Eddie were pretty close until Swan walked out on Collingwood to go to Carlton !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

More pre-season tripe to generate something, anything, in the world of footy.

Cricket only has a few more weeks to go and then the spotlight moves back to the AFL. We have the pre season and when that's over, BANG. We are into it.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Have any of you thought that this might be nothing more than a bit of "GRANDSTANDING" on the part of Eddie? He did say that this was HOT news 2 weeks ago but has now gone luke-warm (his getout). Don't forget that Swan & Eddie were pretty close until Swan walked out on Collingwood to go to Carlton !!
yep crossed my mind...

eddie still likes playing his games. can't help himself. hes a real knob.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:really hope this is true. we need an experienced ceo who has got the job done before, im just not sure why he would leave carlton to come to the saints.
Yeah, it's really not clear is it? Either we're paying him a metric shitload or Carlton really want to get rid of him.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

spot on wrote:... im just not sure why he would leave carlton to come to the saints.
I'd have thought that anyone who could, would be very keen to get away from that pathetic rabble.

Worked well for former St Kilda star player Aaron Hamill... :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Aaron "Sammy" Hamill is a former professional Australian rules footballer who is best known for his time at the St Kilda Football Club in the Australian Football League when he briefly captained the club. - Wikipedia
Up yours Carlscum tankards. :P :P :P

Unsteady Eddie wrote:"There is very, very, very strong speculation around the place that there may be a new CEO headed down St Kilda way," Eddie McGuire said on Triple M.
"The tom toms were beating strongly about a fortnight ago that it was red hot but now it's getting a bit luke warm but you never know."
If the second sentence is accurate, then the first sentence cannot be. So which is it Eddie???

Calls himself a journalist??? Can't even get his tenses right! :roll: :roll: :roll:

What a cheap and tawdry, sensationalist, panderer to the lowest-common-denominator demographic that bloke is. :x

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Have any of you thought that this might be nothing more than a bit of "GRANDSTANDING" on the part of Eddie? He did say that this was HOT news 2 weeks ago but has now gone luke-warm (his getout). Don't forget that Swan & Eddie were pretty close until Swan walked out on Collingwood to go to Carlton !!

He got Tom Scully right.

Ever since then, every time I've heard the 'jungle drums' quote - I've taken note.