It's Time. ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's Time. ....

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/wil ... 31ioq.html

The sooner the better for our club's sake.

We need a new boss who actually cares about the non big sides in Victoria.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's Time. ....

saintspremiers wrote:http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/wil ... 31ioq.html

I kind of agree.
But I also think we should not be some pathetic club who just 'hopes' for some kind of benevolent dictator.

We need to make our own power - and if that aint possible we should join with weak clubs like the bulldogs, roos, demons to form a collective.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sp I have asked you many times but i still dont think I have got an answer. Who have been the CEO who have done a better job for the AFL/VFL? Im sure the last couple were happy to get rid of of non big sides in Victoria or smaller sides as I would call them. I will guess that who ever takes charge after AD will in 2 or so years be copping the same as you and mant other give AD now. All I can say as a follower of a smaller Victorian side is the new CEO wants to keep every Victorian side like AD did.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Sp I have asked you many times but i still dont think I have got an answer. Who have been the CEO who have done a better job for the AFL/VFL? Im sure the last couple were happy to get rid of of non big sides in Victoria or smaller sides as I would call them. I will guess that who ever takes charge after AD will in 2 or so years be copping the same as you and mant other give AD now. All I can say as a follower of a smaller Victorian side is the new CEO wants to keep every Victorian side like AD did.

He has done well for periods but my feeling is he's gone on a few years too long. He should have left on top but his late form has damaged the comp and his personal reputation. The Essendon fiasco and the extraordinary concessions offered to new clubs and the inability to make a more equitable stadium arrangement for clubs who are actually being forced to go backwards while others get miles ahead all put crosses next to his name.

The AFL would have probably continued to grow no matter who was in charge but the brilliance of Andy's vision won't be known for a long time. If GWS and Gold coast establish he will be a genius but if the lack of free to air games and internet access limiting could just as easily contract the leagues position. Ross Oakley looks a clever man in hindsight.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Sp I have asked you many times but i still dont think I have got an answer. Who have been the CEO who have done a better job for the AFL/VFL? Im sure the last couple were happy to get rid of of non big sides in Victoria or smaller sides as I would call them. I will guess that who ever takes charge after AD will in 2 or so years be copping the same as you and mant other give AD now. All I can say as a follower of a smaller Victorian side is the new CEO wants to keep every Victorian side like AD did.
The CEO answers to the commission!
So isn't it the commission that is ensuring the future of the Victorian clubs and AD managing to that objective?

The main difference between the reign of Oakley and Jackson is, no doubt, revenue! With the revenue generated by the game today it ensures the survival of smaller clubs.
Both Oakley and Jackson had agendas to try and reduce the expenses of the league. AD has looked to increase the revenue.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Its Time ...

Is Gough coming back ?

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Sp I have asked you many times but i still dont think I have got an answer. Who have been the CEO who have done a better job for the AFL/VFL? Im sure the last couple were happy to get rid of of non big sides in Victoria or smaller sides as I would call them. I will guess that who ever takes charge after AD will in 2 or so years be copping the same as you and mant other give AD now. All I can say as a follower of a smaller Victorian side is the new CEO wants to keep every Victorian side like AD did.
The CEO answers to the commission!
So isn't it the commission that is ensuring the future of the Victorian clubs and AD managing to that objective?

The main difference between the reign of Oakley and Jackson is, no doubt, revenue! With the revenue generated by the game today it ensures the survival of smaller clubs.
Both Oakley and Jackson had agendas to try and reduce the expenses of the league. AD has looked to increase the revenue.

The CEO may answer or take advise off the commission but going by most responses on here its the CEO who cops it. I also think a strong CEO can be very influencial in the decisions the commission takes.

Majority
Club Player

These are the VFL/AFL Presidents and/or CEO’s of the last 50 years.

Sir Kenneth Luke
Sir Maurice Nathan
Allen Aylett
Jack Hamilton
Ross Oakley
Wayne Jackson
Andrew Demetriou

Here is a very quick summary.

Kenneth Luke built VFL Park Waverley, great idea…………wrong location.
It was never fully completed due to the John Cain Government wanting to protect the MCG, if I remember correctly.
VFL Park would have seated around 130,000 people if it was fully built.
A train line previously talked about was never built.

Maurice Nathan did nothing major that I can remember.

Allen Aylett was the man responsible for giving away the South Melbourne Football Club to Sydney.

Jack Hamilton did nothing major that I can remember.

Ross (up yours Oakley) killed the Fitzroy Football Club.

Wayne Jackson……….we are lucky that he is no longer in the job after trying to push the idea of Victorian club mergers through the media in his AFL afterlife.

Andrew Demetriou has been in charge and overseen many changes.
But looking at the names above, he may be the smartest man here.

The question is…….when AD retires, who will replace him?

If the wrong people are in charge, more changes will be made and the game that some of us grew up watching will be unrecognisable.

Maybe it is now.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dimwit is clever indeed.

But he's been in the job long enough and it's not good practice for someone in this type of role to dictate for any longer.

It must be tempting for the commission to go with Gilligan, but maybe an international search is needed and we'll get a yank from an NFL background.

The Essendope debacle is clearly the end for AD.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Majority
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
It must be tempting for the commission to go with Gilligan
If the commission is not satisfied with Gilligan’s performance,
I recommend that he takes a three hour tour.
There are eighteen Skippers to choose from, and many more millionaires.
They may struggle to locate a Professor amongst that lot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Dimwit is clever indeed.

But he's been in the job long enough and it's not good practice for someone in this type of role to dictate for any longer.

It must be tempting for the commission to go with Gilligan, but maybe an international search is needed and we'll get a yank from an NFL background.

The Essendope debacle is clearly the end for AD.

Well it aint clearly the end because he isat least going for another year. If I was to pick the next CEO which seems like nextyear then I would internally. I think they alrwady know who the next CEO is.