Garlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Garlett

Where are all the posters who wanted us to take him in the draft?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garlett

whiskers3614 wrote:Where are all the posters who wanted us to take him in the draft?

what happened?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Given leave
will continue to train but not play
Not coping with pressure of AFL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Where are all the posters who wanted us to take him in the draft?
I seriously hope you arent one of those blokes waiting for an indigenous kids to fail so you can say 'i told you so'.

Hes only been in the system 12 weeks.
Hes still training (the season hasnt even started)
All the Hawks players are supporting him.
FFS. Get off his back.
Still a very good chance he will work out for them because they will go on providing support.

I guess youd pull the rug out as soon as you got a chance.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I seriously hope you arent one of those blokes waiting for an indigenous kids to fail so you can say 'i told you so'.

FFS. Get off his back.
Still a very good chance he will work out for them because they will go on providing support.

Not at all.
Where we are at the moment we cannot afford troubled souls.
I also opposed those who wanted Fevola,
last time I looked he was white!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

FFS. Get off his back.

Not at all.
Where we are at the moment we cannot afford troubled souls.
I also opposed those who wanted Fevola,
last time I looked he was white!

You have nailed it. We, being a bottom side and with all the crap over the last few years, couldnt take a punt on garlett. That was obvious. Hope he makes it but even this would be headline news for a bottom club like us. To Hawthorn it may or may not just be another failed draft pick.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

FFS. Get off his back.

wtf does his race have anything to do with it? Why are people so quick to play the race card?!

He had a history of priors... as did Fevola, as did Lovett, as did Lawrence Angwin etc... it rarely works out well...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Nothing against the young man… hope his life settles well,

But on top of losing Franklin, Hawthorn gave us 2 first round draft picks for McEvoy, the pressure will be on to grab another flag in the next 2 years… Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne, Hale, all on their way out.

I guess you can take big risks without much scrutiny when you win flags... :x

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The boy will be a star, if he gets the off field right. I've seen a bit of him at junior and senior(WAFL) levels. I was hoping we'd take a punt on him, but I now realise that was folly because we probably don't have the structures that would turn him around. He's a gigantic talent. I hope he makes it. If he doesn't, it will be another story of wasted indigenous talent.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Michael Walters also got a leave of absense.... As did Harley Bennell

What was the risk?

Really, if he didn't make it, for whatever reason....He'd be no different to 10 guys we selected from 2008-2012... Not counting Rookies

The thing he had in his corner.... The fact there was zero chance he would fall short on talent.... Unlike most draftees... Inc top ten pick... Always a risk they will fall short on some aspect

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Michael Walters also got a leave of absense.... As did Harley Bennell

What was the risk?

Really, if he didn't make it, for whatever reason....He'd be no different to 10 guys we selected from 2008-2012... Not counting Rookies

The thing he had in his corner.... The fact there was zero chance he would fall short on talent.... Unlike most draftees... Inc top ten pick... Always a risk they will fall short on some aspect
Dear lord.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Michael Walters also got a leave of absense.... As did Harley Bennell

What was the risk?

The risk is we have had enough bad publicity to last a life time. It is quite obvious the club dont need anymore. It was the right decision as we had more to lose than Hawthorn. It looks like most clubs saw the same problems.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is that too hard for you to understand....

Hawthorn took a positive risk... It will be little skin off their nose... In fact a courageous call...

Collingwood did with Krakour, and of course there are many other examples....

AL will no doubt be bought up?! To me that's different
The intelligence suggested he was a ridiculous risk, for what we gave up? Risk is not about the player, it's about what the cost is?

If he caused issues, any negative publicity would be expected... But I think the individual would look worse than the club TRYING to give him a chance.

I would have drafted Garlett, without a problem in 2012... As soon as he slipped to the RD.... And in 2013 I would have just missed out, as I would have spent a third rounder on him... I think that was beyond what he actually got drafted at

Manson.... Would have also been a rookie n 2013 if I was recruiting.... But only been at the club part time... And given a couple of years to integrate to city life.

To get ahead, you need to take some risks (especially with expansion concessions) eite talent was unavailable unless you took a risk on it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Is that too hard for you to understand....

Hawthorn took a positive risk... It will be little skin off their nose... In fact a courageous call...

The intelligence suggested he was a ridiculous risk, for what we gave up? Risk is not about the player, it's about what the cost is?

If he caused issues, any negative publicity would be expected... But I think the individual would look worse than the club TRYING to give him a chance.

I would have drafted Garlett, without a problem in 2012... As soon as he slipped to the RD.... And in 2013 I would have just missed out, as I would have spent a third rounder on him... I think that was beyond what he actually got drafted at

Manson.... Would have also been a rookie n 2013 if I was recruiting.... But only been at the club part time... And given a couple of years to integrate to city life.

To get ahead, you need to take some risks (especially with expansion concessions) eite talent was unavailable unless you took a risk on it

So you are reading me again. Interesting. The clubs that draft these players have two things we dont have. Money and huge amounts to help these kids. Probably have minders as well. And secondly they are or were much closer to a flag than we will be for maybe 6-8 years. The club made a correct decision even before this happened. Now it looks even more correct if something can be more correct. To argue otherwise is just argueing for either the sake of it or to do what you do best and say the club was wrong again.

And you also would have a part time player. Now ive heard everything. That would be more ridicule for our club.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Mr hinesight strikes again .....
so lets get this straight

worth the risk that the saints were fools for not taking:
Garlett
Cousins
Krakour

bad risks that were obvious to you at the time but only voiced after the time:
Lovett
Cripps
Ledger

to look at things really basically it seems the saints are damned if the do and damned if they dont when it comes to you ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
defacto
Club Player

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about RE: garlett

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It looks as if we dodged a bullet in hindsight but he is very talented. I hope he gets it together because he was always high risk high reward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: Lovett
Cripps
Ledger

to look at things really basically it seems the saints are damned if the do and damned if they dont when it comes to you ...
In fairness to Mart, he was very vocal in his criticism of the Lovett trade pretty much from day dot

Don't remember the Ledger one

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Garlett is only just 20.
He hasnt actually done anything wrong - hes just not playing in the pre-season. Big whoops.
The season hasnt even started and his club and his team-mates are supporting him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: Lovett
Cripps
Ledger

In fairness to Mart, he was very vocal in his criticism of the Lovett trade pretty much from day dot

Don't remember the Ledger one
Who's he?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

M Walters is an absolute gun - that has to be put down to a big win for R Lyon. Went from career cross-roads to top 50 players in the comp.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

So you are reading me again. Interesting. The clubs that draft these players have two things we dont have. Money and huge amounts to help these kids. Probably have minders as well. And secondly they are or were much closer to a flag than we will be for maybe 6-8 years. The club made a correct decision even before this happened. Now it looks even more correct if something can be more correct. To argue otherwise is just argueing for either the sake of it or to do what you do best and say the club was wrong again.

And you also would have a part time player. Now ive heard everything. That would be more ridicule for our club.
You are so easy to read tugger...no need to look for moron posting when its yours

<Warning for abuse / baiting. Name calling qualifies under both.>

defacto
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Garlett is only just 20.
He hasnt actually done anything wrong - hes just not playing in the pre-season. Big whoops.
The season hasnt even started and his club and his team-mates are supporting him.
sounds like the defence eagles supporters dished up on cousins late 90s to early 00s

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Garlett is only just 20.
sounds like the defence eagles supporters dished up on cousins late 90s to early 00s
I do not look for upstanding citizens in footballers.

Cousins was an amazing player. The end.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Trav

Some clear Bulldust there and you know it

I was attacked by usual s for voicing my opinion on Cripps ATT... For not giving him a chance...mmm, hindsight?
Same for Lovett.... Very Vocal on that and attacked
Very vocal on Ball ATT before he succeeded at Collingwood, blind freddy could have sen that coming
Cousins ATT made comment
Sweeney ATT
Howard ATT
Krakour.... Never mentioned drafting him, did use him as example of a positive risk Collingwood took...
Ledger, a lie.... Huge supporter of him... Up until he got delisted

I think you need to get your facts straight....

I have had many ideas over the years, admitted to.... That would have been total disasters?!
I have lauded some great work... Particularly of Baines.

Very inaccurate, selective posting