This Years Draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

This Years Draft.

Is there a Tom Boyd standout, and who are the early standout names being mentioned ?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Years Draft.

Peter Wright, 201cm ruck/fwd is the early favourite for No.1.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Is there a Tom Boyd standout, and who are the early standout names being mentioned ?
Not stand-outs that I know of - im sure we will start to hear big names emerge throughout the year though - especially when the U18 carnival is on.

Some names in this article...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-07/t ... for-future

The focus of the Herald Sun and the chat forums is almost entirely on Vic Metro/TAC players so beware of that.

citywest

We need to pick midfielders with our first 2 picks. We have enough ruckman and forwards. We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well. However I know a lot on here will not like this suggestion.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well.
Do you think any other club would actually be willing to do those deals?

citywest

bergholt wrote:
citywest wrote:We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well.
Do you think any other club would actually be willing to do those deals?
Yes I do. Brisbane or Gold Coast would take Armo and Hawthorn would do the Gilbert one.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we should be making a Roo replacement our No.1 Priority. then some mids and maybe a classy big defender. Our big forwards that we have dont appear to be up to scratch. Definitely not in the Roo category.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Yes I do. Brisbane or Gold Coast would take Armo and Hawthorn would do the Gilbert one.
Hawthorn will probably have pick 15-18 and pick 35-40. I can't see why they'd trade their only first round pick for Gilbo even if we give them a shitty late pick as well.

Brisbane will probably have pick 1-5 and pick 20-25, so I suppose pick 20-25 could be a legit offer for Armo if he has a great season. But I'm not sure why they'd pick up a guy who's about to turn 27 given that they're obviously a few years away from a flag - he'd be over 30 by the time they're contending. Would make a lot more sense for them to use pick 20-25 on a kid who could form part of the core of their next premiership side.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When we think we have drafted more than enough elite midfielders,we then need to go out and get 4 more.

Bring back the Lockett era
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Armo is more value to us than his trade value. We should see if we can get one of Essendon's few drug free players when they all walk from their contracts.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

citywest wrote:We need to pick midfielders with our first 2 picks. We have enough ruckman and forwards. We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well. However I know a lot on here will not like this suggestion.
So you want to draft 2 midfielders but give away Armitage, who is now starting to show real value both in leadership and ability, yep that makes sense.
And where do we have enough forwards? We have Roo and........

Richter
SS Life Member

With our first pick we need to grab one of McCartin, Wright, Lever or Goddard. After that it's mids all the way. Not sure we have any more currency left in terms of players to shop around for picks so I think it will be a fairly straight forward trade/draft period for us. The first 2 rounds are likely to tell us which number our first pick will be...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Moods
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:We need to pick midfielders with our first 2 picks. We have enough ruckman and forwards. We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well. However I know a lot on here will not like this suggestion.

Good thinking. Spend 6-7 years developing Armo, (who took longer than expected to develop) and now that he's come good we should trade him?????????

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It's spelt Armitage, and you wonder why we know you're a troll? Ridiculous proposition. We don't gave enough forwards. Why do you persist? It's not just that your suggestion is ridiculous, the reason a lot on here don't like your suggestions is that you are a troll, attempting to get a rise out of true saints fans. Do us all a favour and p*ss off. Even if you are a saints supporter, which you're not, your contributions are not worthy of consideration.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We need to pick a forward with our first pick. Especially as this draft is apparently made for forwards and they will be best available early on.

citywest

Only your opinion is correct hey White Winmar!!!??? Even though you don't deserve an explanation because you are a sook, I'll give you one anyway.

Armitage will be 26 in June. With our rebuild in full swing now, the absolute earliest the Saints can hope to play in a Grand Final again would be 2020. Realistically, I would have my money on 2022 at the very earliest. That would make Armitage 32 (best case scenario), or more likely 34+. If we do not trade Armo at the end of this season then he will not be worth trading.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone that is older than 25 should be looked at as a possible trade (for this year and next), if it will land us picks near the top 20 or better. The 2 players that best suit this strategy are Armo and Gilbert. I'm not saying they are not good players. All I'm saying is that they are not in the right age demographic for us and we may be able to get better value for them by trading them to clubs that have a specific need. Just like Hawthorn did with Big Boy McEvoy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Lever clearly a top 5-10 talent however recovering from a knee reco and with no footy under his belt this year he could slip to the second round. He would come with risk but certainly should be considered based on his talent.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Only your opinion is correct hey White Winmar!!!??? Even though you don't deserve an explanation because you are a sook, I'll give you one anyway.

Armitage will be 26 in June. With our rebuild in full swing now, the absolute earliest the Saints can hope to play in a Grand Final again would be 2020. Realistically, I would have my money on 2022 at the very earliest. That would make Armitage 32 (best case scenario), or more likely 34+. If we do not trade Armo at the end of this season then he will not be worth trading.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone that is older than 25 should be looked at as a possible trade (for this year and next), if it will land us picks near the top 20 or better. The 2 players that best suit this strategy are Armo and Gilbert. I'm not saying they are not good players. All I'm saying is that they are not in the right age demographic for us and we may be able to get better value for them by trading them to clubs that have a specific need. Just like Hawthorn did with Big Boy McEvoy.
As usual, your suggestions are s***. I'm not the sook here. Can't take some criticism, or our continual exposure of you as a troll? If you were a saints supporter, you'd know how essential Armitage is to our future. You'd also know how to spell his name you loser. StiCk to your cheating scum team, which will never win another flag anyway. And a word of advice, Helen. I don't want any explanation from you. I don't place any value on your opinions, nor do I believe they are relevant. If you think we are 8 years from a premiership tilt, you don't have a clue, and why would you wait? Why bother? At least we'll challenge again before your drug taking, cheating, scum of a club.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Surely the Mods can tell by IP address whether City West is a troll or not.
Why do we have to answer every one of his posts with "he's a troll"

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Surely the Mods can tell by IP address whether City West is a troll or not.
Why do we have to answer every one of his posts with "he's a troll"
Because she is. And how does an IP address identify you definitively as a troll? From your post, I take it you are in agreement with her constantly negative, critical and offensive posts? Just one positive post might change perceptions, but I doubt it. Read how other posters have exposed her for what she is.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If somebody had said 2 years ago that we would let Goddard, Dal & Big Ben go without a fight they too would have been accused of trolling!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:If somebody had said 2 years ago that we would let Goddard, Dal & Big Ben go without a fight they too would have been accused of trolling!
Check back through her posts. Always critical, worst case scenario type posts. Let's put it to a vote with other posters. I think you'll find she's been exposed and identified a number of times, and with different nicks, the sure sign of a troll.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

voting doesn't always provide perfect results.
How many times did John Howard get re-elected, how many times was Krudd voted in?

Junior
Club Player

Reckon we need a key forward especially as it looks like the top rated players are key forwards.

Goddard played down back in last years championships. I liked the look of McCartin last year, we can pick Oma midfielder with our next pick.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:Is there a Tom Boyd standout, and who are the early standout names being mentioned ?
Not stand-outs that I know of - im sure we will start to hear big names emerge throughout the year though - especially when the U18 carnival is on.

Some names in this article...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-07/t ... for-future

The focus of the Herald Sun and the chat forums is almost entirely on Vic Metro/TAC players so beware of that.
Thanks for that.