What Would Be Regarded as "Success" This Season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cps
Club Player

What Would Be Regarded as "Success" This Season

Hi Folks,

I'm curious as to what would constitute "success" for the Saints this season.

I realise that win/loss is the bottom line however if we assume that due to the introduction of new young players and a new coach that wins will be hard to come by, what would be a successful year? I'm thinking about this from an internal club perspective.

Is it primarily about individual player development and the development of a winning game-style?

I'm certain that the club would have internal indicators - what do you think they would be?

BTW, I've just renewed my membership (and my 3-year olds') and I'm planning on getting to more games this year - I'm looking for things to hang my hat on when we are being beaten :lol:

Cheers,

Chris

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Re: What Would Be Regarded as "Success" This Season

Finish 18th on percentage and see plenty of exciting development from the young players.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

A good effort!

PADDLEPOP1000
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm curious as to what would constitute "success" for the Saints this season.

I realise that win/loss is the bottom line however if we assume that due to the introduction of new young players and a new coach that wins will be hard to come by, what would be a successful year? I'm thinking about this from an internal club perspective.

Is it primarily about individual player development and the development of a winning game-style?

I'm certain that the club would have internal indicators - what do you think they would be?

BTW, I've just renewed my membership (and my 3-year olds') and I'm planning on getting to more games this year - I'm looking for things to hang my hat on when we are being beaten :lol:

Cheers,

Chris
You'd think that player development is probably what most supporters are hoping for. Personally speaking I'm hoping that the 9 players that debuted last year improve in some way and we are able to say that they are keepers at the end of this season (or at least most of them). I'm also hoping to be able to say the same thing for all of players that debut this season. If we tick both of those boxes then that will be success IMO.

I'm not too concerned about winning game-style this season as I think to a certain extent it won't have much of an impact on the clubs development this year, having said that I'm hoping that we can say the new coach is a keeper at the end of this season, that would also be success IMO.

I'm also going to barrack for quarter wins this year. I'm hoping that we win more quarters than we lose...that might mean that we've been competitive for more than 50% of the season....

bergsone
SS Life Member

Competitive,dont want to see any big blowouts
Game time and development into youngsters
Mid range players Armo,Steven,Gilbert etc to have good solid seasons......tho injuries aren't helping atm
Experienced players,Roo,Joey,Hayes,have good enough years that they are ready to go again hext year if able

Of course win some games,no more woode spoons

FQF
SS Life Member

A few spirited underdog victories that show that the club is in great shape with kids that just need to develop some consistency.

Otherwise, the unveiling of another couple of A graders ala Jack last year.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

See development in the younger players .
Not getting thrashed any games .
Not seeing any negative media on any of our players or the club .( impossible IMO with milney's court case )
Seeing the club actually make money !

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For me it would be getting 12+ encouraging AFL games from:

Dunstan
Savage
Saunders
Webster
Wright
Delaney
Hickey
Curren
Lee

5+ encouraging AFL games from
Billings
Templeton
Bruce
Longer
Markworth

2 + encouraging AFL games from
Acres
White

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Winning a game would be good, preferably against the Filth or Carscum.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
cps
Club Player

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in how people are going to rate the performance of the newer players - is it only about total possessions (i.e. getting hands on the ball) or should it be about effective possessions (or maybe the ratio of the two?). Is it more about playing a role?

I guess a lot of this comes down to the expectations placed upon individual players and the roles assigned to them. I guess only the insiders know this stuff but it's still interesting to speculate.

Here's a scenario: Saints are underdogs against team XYZ. Two minutes to go, Saints up by three points but are fading badly and look like being overrun. Ball up in the centre - who goes into the midfield - the old hands or the young guys?

saintkellerm
Club Player

Agree with most of the above.
Just want to see the young guns don't be afraid to take some risks.
Increase in membership numbers
In the media for all the right reasons.
Maybe another sponsor - big brand name.

FQF
SS Life Member

cps wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in how people are going to rate the performance of the newer players - is it only about total possessions (i.e. getting hands on the ball) or should it be about effective possessions (or maybe the ratio of the two?). Is it more about playing a role?

I guess a lot of this comes down to the expectations placed upon individual players and the roles assigned to them. I guess only the insiders know this stuff but it's still interesting to speculate.

Here's a scenario: Saints are underdogs against team XYZ. Two minutes to go, Saints up by three points but are fading badly and look like being overrun. Ball up in the centre - who goes into the midfield - the old hands or the young guys?
My view on the issue is that the team should be picked with development in mind (remembering that winning is key to the development of young players) but once we cross the white line, it's all about winning. So in your scenario, pick the players to be at the centre bounce who will give the greatest chance of winning.

Megsie
Club Player

Agree. Finish 18th this year & next get good draft picks justt like PA HAVE DONE.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Being higher up the ladder than last season- that's success..the rest is just talk, dreaming, hoping etc.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Couple of areas I would like us to either win or be competitive in.

Tackles. effective tackles are huge but numbers over 80 means we are not only working hard but placing pressure of the opposition. Tackle numbers equates to effort.
Contested ball. This is what wins finals. Build a good contested ball team then you can add your spread players and cream. Seemed to be a focus during preseason and will be a interesting to keep an eye on this stat as we move deeper into the real season.
Handball receives. This indicates the want to run in numbers and provide over lap. I don't expect this to be high in every game but if we can build on this in the next 18 months then we are in good stead for the future.

As to the question posed, 3 points up and game in balance. You send lenny in with the youngsters and tell him to take them with him. Experiences like this are crucial.

Agree with most of what others have said. Would like us to be able to say by seasons end that we have 2-4 A graders coming through, 10 solid youngsters and some we are not sure on yet.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dragit
Saintsational Legend

James Hird in jail

Essendon deregistered for good

GCS & GWS go through the season only losing to each other, the league realises that the colossal monsters they have created need refining, both have their salary caps reduced and will be excluded from the 1st round of the next 5 drafts. O'Meara & Boyd are both offered lucrative 'ambassador' roles paid for by the AFL, outside of the cap... If they join St Kilda.

We commit to the junction after a huge grant is promised.

Carlton keep Malthouse.

Lenny & Roos wives both fall pregnant with twin boys.

That would do me, short of a flag.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The important developing players all being better at the end of 2014 than the start of 2014....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Most of the above.

A percentage close to 100.

6 wins.

It probably won't happen but it would be good to have a couple of big wins against either the Filth, Cats or Hawks.

No spoon.

Best players not dominated by old guard week in week out.

Club has shown that it can be creative in manufacturing draft picks and that it can make tough decisions so unless there is a clear standout No 1 pick no point in finishing bottom.

Did I write no spoon?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

success for me would be the team being as they have stated a team other teams dont really look forward to playing .. we are lacking a lot in the class stakes but there are things that players can do that are more determination and effort acts over skillful acts things like tackles , shepards, hard ball gets, smothers, spoils, 2nd efforts ... if we can be in the top 5 or 6 in those side of things even if we lose every game we are on the right track

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

A lot on here would like us to finish on the bottom or near the bottom for two or three years (and it probably will happen anyway) however that may not be fair on our coach who will want to be sticking around for the long haul. Losing games and keeping a coach are opposite ends of the spectrum so I'm not sure what success means to different interests.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jarred
Club Player

Dunstan Rising Star winner!

Rosco
Club Player

hardness

more tackles than our opponents EVERY WEEK

&

confirmation of rhys stanley's best position

matrix
Saintsational Legend

player development and out of debt

Saint 58
Club Player

dragit wrote:James Hird in jail

Essendon deregistered for good

GCS & GWS go through the season only losing to each other, the league realises that the colossal monsters they have created need refining, both have their salary caps reduced and will be excluded from the 1st round of the next 5 drafts. O'Meara & Boyd are both offered lucrative 'ambassador' roles paid for by the AFL, outside of the cap... If they join St Kilda.

We commit to the junction after a huge grant is promised.

Carlton keep Malthouse.

Lenny & Roos wives both fall pregnant with twin boys.

That would do me, short of a flag.
+1 :)

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

"Success" in AFL is generally counted by games won. In our case, we are clearly looking for "alternative" measures, such as player improvement, team effort/energy,
a few wins, several "close ones," would be acceptable.

For me, it's about team effort and energy. It's difficult to be too critical if they put in 100% effort, 100% of the time, whatever the result.