maclure on the saints...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maclure on the saints...

do you reckon that the saints would like to have goddard, dal santo and mcevoy playing for them tomorrow...????.but they give them away....why do they do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!

i agree with him...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: maclure on the saints...

Short term emotions over riding long term common sense

We can't win - we keep these guys and get lessor picks and the ability to bring in top end talent
We trade them and apparently we "gave them away"

We won't know for years.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Short term emotions over riding long term common sense

We can't win - we keep these guys and get lessor picks and the ability to bring in top end talent

We won't know for years.
other teams don't do it...don't know why we have too.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

So we don't end up like Carlton in no-mans-land, kidding ourselves.

Would we be a shot at a Flag with those 3 players? Maybe if we drafted better and had at least 5 young gun players with 60-100 games under their belts. Maybe.

But we don't.

We've got Steven. That's it.

Rebuild. Only way.

Bombers and North no chance for the flag (early days, I know). And they'd both still have better lists than ours, at this point in time, even with those players back.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

If we had them ,we may have finished a couple of positions higher,salary cap would be blown out and we would have no young blokes, !

PADDLEPOP1000
Beekay
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:

We won't know for years.
Extremely poor drafting.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

What the last two blokes said.

citywest

stinger wrote:do you reckon that the saints would like to have goddard, dal santo and mcevoy playing for them tomorrow...????.but they give them away....why do they do that..?????..ridiculous.....!!!!

i agree with him...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
We didn't give them away.....grow up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

We won't know for years.
Some teams haven't been top 4 in a decade and made back to back GFs either....

It's our turn to dip - forget extra $1m Swans or father son cats - we aren't them

Hawks will be better long term for trading Buddy IMHO a good move especially given they've got a flag..... that's our real only regret we didn't take our chances when we had them....... forget 2010.........2009 was the one.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Maclure has hated the Saints ever since he was given the arse.

I wouldn't take any notice of anything he says about us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Carlton actually do what you're suggesting?

3 number 1 picks in a row... Murphy, Gibbs, Kruzer all in their prime
Number 2 pick... Walker
Judd for their #4 pick
Stole Robbie Warnock with cash
And have another #2 pick this year

And unlike Melbourne they selected NO duds

Are the assured a premiership now?

MaClure is an idiot

But a midfield of
Hayes, Ball, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo, Armitage, Jones, Steven.... And McEvoy

Would be competitive

citywest

BigMart wrote:Didn't Carlton actually do what you're suggesting?

3 number 1 picks in a row... Murphy, Gibbs, Kruzer all in their prime
Number 2 pick... Walker
Judd for their #4 pick
Stole Robbie Warnock with cash
And have another #2 pick this year

And unlike Melbourne they selected NO duds

Are the assured a premiership now?

MaClure is an idiot

But a midfield of
Hayes, Ball, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo, Armitage, Jones, Steven.... And McEvoy

Would be competitive
Grow up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hawks lost buddy
Cats lost G Ablett
Pies lost D Thomas.

The only top club to not lose a player are the Swines and that is because they have an AFL subsidy not available to us .

Add to that our list is absolutely shot to pieces. Top heavy and hollow.
We were already going down hard and the clif was coming.

If u wanted to whinge - whinge back in 08 09 10 11 when our drafting and recruiting sucked ass.
But no you didn't whinge then did you .
To all all of you whiney sooks - you are 4 years too late to be whining about our list balance.
Suck it up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The people whinging now.
Are they the same ones who thought Milney would keep singing the song and kicking goals until he was 40.
That Kosi was set for a breakout year every year.
The same ones that probably think Fisher is set for an AA this year.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

We, as supporters, are forever in the hands of those who manage the joint.

We spent a decade punching above our supposed weight. What were we - the 2nd or 3rd highest average ladder finishing side over 10 years?

I'm not excusing the lack of a future view, but, crikey, this is a very competitive 'field', and there are a number of clubs who've had way more 'help' than we've ever known.

I'm just looking forward to watching 3 teenagers play their 1st games later today. I looked forward to it in the 70's and '80's, and I'm still looking forward to it.

What else are we gunna do?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

P.S. I know MacLure, via his wife, Virginia Margarete (nee Woodroffe). Great lady....and he's a stuffed shirt - always sniffed and huffed at her background. Good lord, the man's major claim to fame, these days, is being up the ladder at Valvoline. FFS, that's John Laws' territory, and he's always as boring as bat s*it. Selling lubricants does not an expert make.

There is not a single person involved in the AFL media circus who inspires me to respect....not one. Puffed up spivs, the lot of 'em. MacLure's nothing if not typical. Lauded for speaking his 'mind'. Well, "wowee". Helps if you've got something worth speaking your mind about.

Just another drivel meister, with his snout in the trough. Bored with the lot of 'em.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Having re watched the "Ken Burns: Baseball" documentary recently, I weep for the state of sports journalism.

Before the television reigned supreme, journalists had to have a voice, they had to bring to life the spectacle of sport with their prose. They had to create meaning for the reader, because without their service the spirit of the day was lost.

Today journalists are moralists, rumour-mongers and paid shills. Such a shame. I think the sports journo of old was quite a noble calling, it also allowed an artistic license and personal tone for the journalist. They were artists as much as they were documentarians.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:Having re watched the "Ken Burns: Baseball" documentary recently, I weep for the state of sports journalism.

Before the television reigned supreme, journalists had to have a voice, they had to bring to life the spectacle of sport with their prose. They had to create meaning for the reader, because without their service the spirit of the day was lost.

Today journalists are moralists, rumour-mongers and paid shills. Such a shame. I think the sports journo of old was quite a noble calling, it also allowed an artistic license and personal tone for the journalist. They were artists as much as they were documentarians.
The great Ken Burns. From his work on the Brooklyn Bridge, to his series on prohibition, right though his dustbowl series, always a giant. The Baseball series is the work of a master - and I don't like baseball.

It was through his work on baseball that I came to learn of the truly great Jackie Robinson, quite probably the 2nd greatest African American after MLK.

I've been to the States once, a 2 day fly by at Oracle HQ in up state NY. On the way back to JFK airport, I found myself on Jackie Robinson Way in NY City. The cab driver was an AA, and when I started telling him about my appreciation for Jackie Robinson, I got a response that started with "Goddamn, you know about about Jackie?". I told him about watching the Ken Burns' doco, and just how great a man Robinson obviously was. I got the cab ride for free, and it was a very big fare.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

The Baseball series is the work of a master - and I don't like baseball.

I had a bit of a head start on you, I LOVED the Barry Levinson film "The Natural" which is one of the great sporting films IMHO. But Burns left me in wonder at the great tradition of Americas erstwhile pastime.

It was through his work on baseball that I came to learn of the truly great Jackie Robinson, quite probably the 2nd greatest African American after MLK.
I would include Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Mencken, Kennedy and the man who made Robinson's rise possible Mr Branch Rickie in that list, but definitely Robinson was a man of strength and unique character. A Republican to boot! :)
e been to the States once, a 2 day fly by at Oracle HQ in up state NY. On the way back to JFK airport, I found myself on Jackie Robinson Way in NY City. The cab driver was an AA, and when I started telling him about my appreciation for Jackie Robinson, I got a response that started with "Goddamn, you know about about Jackie?". I told him about watching the Ken Burns' doco, and just how great a man Robinson obviously was. I got the cab ride for free, and it was a very big fare.
It's amazing what a little inside knowledge can achieve with a cabbie, twice I have been forgiven my fare with Iranians for knowing the role the US played in the rold of the overthrow of Mosadegh, and the subsequent demonization of post-shah Iran. :)

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:
The Baseball series is the work of a master - and I don't like baseball.

I had a bit of a head start on you, I LOVED the Barry Levinson film "The Natural" which is one of the great sporting films IMHO. But Burns left me in wonder at the great tradition of Americas erstwhile pastime.

I would include Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Mencken, Kennedy and the man who made Robinson's rise possible Mr Branch Rickie in that list, but definitely Robinson was a man of strength and unique character. A Republican to boot! :)
e been to the States once, a 2 day fly by at Oracle HQ in up state NY. On the way back to JFK airport, I found myself on Jackie Robinson Way in NY City. The cab driver was an AA, and when I started telling him about my appreciation for Jackie Robinson, I got a response that started with "Goddamn, you know about about Jackie?". I told him about watching the Ken Burns' doco, and just how great a man Robinson obviously was. I got the cab ride for free, and it was a very big fare.
It's amazing what a little inside knowledge can achieve with a cabbie, twice I have been forgiven my fare with Iranians for knowing the role the US played in the rold of the overthrow of Mosadegh, and the subsequent demonization of post-shah Iran. :)
The deposed Shah, with the help of his lords and masters in the US, nicked around about $100B in today's currency from his "kingdom". The Iranians, after the Shah's 'departure', asked very politely if they could have their bucks back. They were met with a response from Washington that went something like "Who, us?"

Not a fan of crooks, myself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still have a soft spot for Gideon Haigh and I don't mind Malcolm Conn and the English cricket writer they publish whose name escapes me.

Apart from that they all get effed.

I'm trying to think of a good mainstream footy writer but I can't think of any.
I don't mind Dennis sometimes but him and Bruce together is just excruciating .
Channel 7 is just nauseating all round.
Even the abc are pretty terrible these days.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still have a soft spot for Gideon Haigh and I don't mind Malcolm Conn and the English cricket writer they publish whose name escapes me.

Apart from that they all get effed.

I'm trying to think of a good mainstream footy writer but I can't think of any.
I don't mind Dennis sometimes but him and Bruce together is just excruciating .
Channel 7 is just nauseating all round.
Even the abc are pretty terrible these days.
He isn't sports mainstream, but Martin Flanagan is always worth reading.

Gideon Haigh lost me when he joined the chorus, led by Roebuck, and went after "Punter". Haigh showed himself to be little more than suggestible private schoolboy rubbish, which he is. I detest the moralists who justify their positions by rabbiting on about how they play the game in the right "spirit" when they venture out onto the fields in downtown inner suburbia.

Haigh's a nose raising spiv, who chose to back a seriously criminal hack who continually tried to present himself as superior to the likes of a bloke who rose from the fibro of Mowbray, all the way to the captaincy of the country's most important sporting unit. And, while Haigh was wading in Roebuck's wake, he never, ever, bothered to mention Roebuck's beating of young African kids, which Haigh knew about, and justified on the basis he'd provided food and shelter for them.

Truly perverse, and selective. Haigh works damn hard to present an intellectual facade. When challenged he's got nuttin'. Not that he gets challenged much, which is why he went to work for Murdoch.

Gimme Flanagan, anytime. His brother writes well, too.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Greg Baum can be ok provided you can understand what he's on about. At least he's a wordsmith and shows he had had some proper training in the field.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

We won't know for years.
This is just BS for starters...
Kennedy, Franklin, McGlynn, Elliss, McPharlin
Shaw, Thomas, Wellingham,
Moloney, Ablett, Mumford
Dempster, Schneider, Hall, Jolly, Mumford

All teams do it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

We won't know for years.
chapman

This is just BS for starters...
Kennedy, Franklin, McGlynn, Elliss, McPharlin
Shaw, Thomas, Wellingham,
Moloney, Ablett, Mumford
Dempster, Schneider, Hall, Jolly, Mumford

All teams do it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107