Any umpires here?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

Any umpires here?

My local football club the Monash Gryphons is looking for an umpire for all reserves games this year.

Does anyone here have any experience and would any of you be interested?

We pay $100 a game.

First game is this Saturday.

Cheers

Middo
Club Player

Re: Any umpires here?

Maybe try BM seems to have a handle on all things ... ?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Make it $500 and I'll guarantee a win for your team every week.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Our club is in the same boat. Bloody hard to get umpires even for around $100.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

what is involved in becoming an umpire ? i hear we have the same issue here in WA getting umpires for local comps
is there some sort of course you attend to get an acredidation ? might be something i could look into now im getting my fitness back up

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Our club is in the same boat. Bloody hard to get umpires even for around $100.
So that's $100 for 2.5 hrs work? Not bad for many.

I guess you need to be fit and don't mind being abused constantly for that period.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:what is involved in becoming an umpire ? i hear we have the same issue here in WA getting umpires for local comps
is there some sort of course you attend to get an acredidation ? might be something i could look into now im getting my fitness back up

I just sat the test as the under 9s in the southern metro have to supply their own this season. It's free to do the test online but then the club has to fork out for a night session this friday.
This is how to register for SMJF legue could ask them how to do it for others but the online test is conducted via the AFL.

Book into your chosen training session via the online form - http://www.smjfl.com.au/index.php?id=185 .

Pre-course
The AFL Club Umpire online program must be completed, with Certificate of Completion printed and handed to the training facilitator.
Link to course: http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=836

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

cheers gringo ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:cheers gringo ...

No probs... I'm about to get some karma back my way. I'll be lucky to get through a season without being assaulted by irate parents.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Our club is in the same boat. Bloody hard to get umpires even for around $100.

I guess you need to be fit and don't mind being abused constantly for that period.

I would think all these guys wanted by clubs are doing reserve umpiring. You dont need to be to fit for that but you do have to be deaf. Actually a bit of banter is the best way to get by with most of the players but there is the occasional one who doesnt like that. You learn not to speak to that type of person during a game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I would think all these guys wanted by clubs are doing reserve umpiring. You dont need to be to fit for that but you do have to be deaf. Actually a bit of banter is the best way to get by with most of the players but there is the occasional one who doesnt like that. You learn not to speak to that type of person during a game.

When i played basketball we had a ref who used to regularly officiate straight from his job as a parking inspector. He obviously liked being popular.

maxdis 42
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:what is involved in becoming an umpire ? i hear we have the same issue here in WA getting umpires for local comps
Hi Travis

I have been a club umpire for the last 5 years, i find it enjoyable and still keeps you involved, and yes clubs are screaming out for umpires, here is a link to the WAAFL "job vacancies" http://www.waafl.com.au/waafl/vacant-po ... -positions

If that is no help just ring the league and they will stear you in the right direction..

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Apparently there's a self defence component of the qualification test. Other than that, I'm willing to be your bodyguard for $100 a game. Sort of defeats the purpose, I guess.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Make it $500 and I'll guarantee a win for your team every week.
The ACC has just started to target you, GO. I wouldn't be too worried, though. That mob couldn't track an elephant with a bleeding trunk through the snow. BTW, I'll do it for $400. It's a dog eat dog world!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

$100 bucks to get out of bed early on a weekend?
Hold on - are the games covered at centrebet?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It seems to be the case everywhere. I drove past Eastern Footy League headquarters earlier today and they had a mobile billboard out the front trying to recruit umpires !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I might have to pick it back up.

Might have to resign to the fact I won't play again...

Rosco
Club Player

Just recruit from the crowd at an AFL game, there's always hundreds of blokes there who reckon they can do better than the AFL umpires

james rose
Club Player

Haha got excited when I saw the number of replies.

Glad to know we aren't the only club battling for umpires Plugger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:Haha got excited when I saw the number of replies.

Glad to know we aren't the only club battling for umpires Plugger.

The problem with the Ammos is once you get to C grade or above you cant umpire your own side. last there was 2 of us doing the D grade umpiring at ormond but neither of us want to umpire other clubs. Its a stupid rule. its like they dont think umpires cheat in lower grades but they would in higher grades. in all these years i have hardly seen an umpire cheat but i have seen some who are just poor.

james rose
Club Player

We tell our umpires, when in doubt go the opposition teams way.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:...We pay $100 a game...
I was getting $70 a game back in 1979 when I gave it away. I decided that I had better things to do with my time than being abused by spectators (almost all of the players were OK). Of course, there was only one field umpire back then. An umpire, to do justice to the role, would need to train at least once, if not twice, a week. Ironically, the group training was the only enjoyable part of the game, and kept me going for longer than I should.

james rose
Club Player

That sounds like a great rate of pay.

Where was it?

In a VAFA club in Division 2 for reserves we simply couldn't afford to pay more than $100 a game.

Might be different for the powerful clubs or those leagues that allow you to serve alcohol, but we simply don't have the money.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:That sounds like a great rate of pay.

Where was it?

In a VAFA club in Division 2 for reserves we simply couldn't afford to pay more than $100 a game.

Might be different for the powerful clubs or those leagues that allow you to serve alcohol, but we simply don't have the money.

I think you will find perfectionist was a proper umpire. Reserve grade in the ammos wouldnt train. well I certainly wouldnt. My training is at the roo bar on Friday nights. I find 12 srubbies makes you see the game much more clearly and if that doesnt work a hot dog and a can of coke works beautifully on Saturday before the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
james rose wrote:That sounds like a great rate of pay.

Where was it?

I think you will find perfectionist was a proper umpire. Reserve grade in the ammos wouldnt train. well I certainly wouldnt. My training is at the roo bar on Friday nights. I find 12 srubbies makes you see the game much more clearly and if that doesnt work a hot dog and a can of coke works beautifully on Saturday before the game.

Sounds like your technique for posting :wink: