Clint Jones vs bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Clint Jones vs bombers

This is not a witch-hunt, just want a critical discussion here, no abuse or emotional defenses around trying hard.

Is he playing as a purely attacking mid now? Appeared to be running around on his own most of the night on a wing, was head to head with Stanton mostly and less so Myers.

Stanton had 29 (20 kicks), 9 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance and 3 goals (2 of which were late and I don't think Jones was on him)

Jones had 15 (3 kicks), 3 marks, 7 tackles, 1 clearance

I think the fact that we won the match and also won nearly every match-up it's easy to dismiss any negatives. But if Jones was playing as an attacking mid, he was well beaten.

He was very good in the opening 2 games when we were missing Hayes, Montagna, Steven… but now I think that this is 3 poor games in a row. With Weller dominating, he should be rewarded with some senior games. People go on about integrity of selection and not gifting games, but this goes both ways.

His pressure around the ball & tackling is top notch, Clint is working within his limitations and is handballing whenever possible, but is 3 kicks enough for a player who is not tagging on a wing?

We are clearly not short on players that demonstrate the level of effort required, so this shouldn't be a factor when selecting a side.

Is he adding something else that I am not seeing?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clint Jones vs bombers

From what I have seen so far this year, he is not a mid at all. In the second half last week we was given a tagging role, but that was to try to stem the tide.

His role this year has been to be a defensive half forward. His job is to stop the run of half backs and to endeavour to keep the ball in the forward line through close pressure. As always, he does his job well until he actually gets the ball. Then, anything can happen.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

He was given a contract because last years team was inexperienced and his use of the football was probably average with most of his teammates .

The only thing that has changed is that the teams average looks to have improved .
Dunstan , billings , templeton , webster , curren and newnes all look better than him with composure and ball use .
Saunders, wright , armitage , ray , geary and gwilt all look about the same .

Whilst he try's his guts out each week , at his age and ability , i think he's entered the realm of being a list clogger .

In red white and black from 73
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

We are not even a third through the season. Let's see how things pan out before dekisting players

dragit
Saintsational Legend

ChelseaGuy wrote:We are not even a third through the season. Let's see how things pan out before dekisting players
Was more talking about upcoming team selection rater than list management.

Milne
Club Player

Jones will never be the most talented player out on the park, but he does the job assigned to him and (usually) does it well.

He can't be expected to get 30+ touches every week.

He still needs to work on his kicking though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CJ was unbelievably good in the first two weeks.
No idea how the year will pan out and whether he will get another contract. I guess we have ~16 weeks to find out.
All I know is I now feel comfortable we can cover for him with weller and curren.
If savage was any good then it would probably be all over for cj - but so far savage aint that flash - meaning cj keeps his spot.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Been overall pretty good this year, never a champion, but is mostly effective. Some of the young guys will have a a good game then fall away, so don't be too convinced that we have a bunch of young stars yet- give them time, and in the meantime, Jones will be one of the first selected on current form.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Been overall pretty good this year, never a champion, but is mostly effective. Some of the young guys will have a a good game then fall away, so don't be too convinced that we have a bunch of young stars yet- give them time, and in the meantime, Jones will be one of the first selected on current form.
Current form? His current form is 3 kicks while his opponent was their best midfielder… 2 previous games were pretty ordinary too.

He's fallen away dramatically after a couple of good games.

I can think of about 19 who would be picked before him on current form.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

he made a few bad moves, a hand ball over the shoulder that resulted in a turnover goal. but i'm happy we're trying these things and i can't fualt him out atm. he's helping more then hindering so keep him in.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Does he sacrifice his game to protect the young guys and support them by doing the team things. Does his contribution help out at all? I mean we had a good win and the coach made some reference to a 22 man performance so if CJ gets the chop this week it means he must of stunk.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's been poor the last 2-3 weeks after a very good start to the season. Joey, Lenny, Steven, Ray and Armo ahead of him. Curren playing a very important mid role and Dunstan dominating clearances. I think Jones is really under pressure to retain his position. And I think we looked a lot better over the weekend with Jones having less ball.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess Richo needs to start looking at replays and talking to some of the forum posters about Jones, as clearly he is not aware of how bad Jones actually is.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I guess Richo needs to start looking at replays and talking to some of the forum posters about Jones, as clearly he is not aware of how bad Jones actually is.
Not sure why you are running with this angle spert?
I think he's been average for 3 weeks, maybe he's doing a job that I can't see or understand.
You said the young guys will play a few good games then drop off, that is exactly what CJ has done.

Instead of getting emotional about it, give us some reasons why you think he's been good the past 3 games, why I'm wrong.

Maybe against another bottom side he'll play well this week, he certainly appears to enjoy the freedom of less pressure when he has the ball.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day he is a liability to the team. Listen to how Richo talks about Schneider and Billings (and probably others) - When they get the ball we are going to retain possession. What happens when CJ gets the ball? I doubt we retain possession more than 50% of the time (probably less). It's time for players of more skill to take over from the butchers.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He didn't play on Brent Stanton.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:He didn't play on Brent Stanton.
Okay then, who did he play on?

Appeared to be starting on the wing alongside Stanton for a lot of the game that I can recall. Was running around on his own quite a bit.

Hoges
Club Player

Yes drag it, I reckon you are missing a bit on jones:
Have a look at defensive pressure he applies and how many turnovers he helped to create
Have a look at the lock down he put on fletch so nick could mark in a one on one -and then goal
Have a look at the sharp hand pass he gave to billings in a clogged forward area so he could run onto kick a goal.

Overall hardness at the ball is well up this year - no doubt in part due to the example CJ sets

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Statistically he's our third most dreamteam points behind Riewoldt and Farren. He is the second highest possession getter at the club has a good disposal efficiency this year. Is 39 in the whole comp for disposals this year and was playing as a defensive forward. Most people are gushing about Websters game but Webster was on Stanton when he went on a rampage. People just need to stop bagging Clint and find a new whipping boy. Stanton is Essendon's Clint ironically.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hoges wrote:Yes drag it, I reckon you are missing a bit on jones:
Have a look at defensive pressure he applies and how many turnovers he helped to create
Have a look at the lock down he put on fletch so nick could mark in a one on one -and then goal
Have a look at the sharp hand pass he gave to billings in a clogged forward area so he could run onto kick a goal.

Overall hardness at the ball is well up this year - no doubt in part due to the example CJ sets
Good post hoges, this is what I'm after a counter argument, cheers. His pressure is first class, agree.

Gringo, statistically since round 2 he's been pretty ordinary. That first game is becoming stuff of legend, like Kosi's 3 games 10 years ago. In years to come we'll be talking about that game CJ played against Melbourne.

spert
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Statistically he's our third most dreamteam points behind Riewoldt and Farren. He is the second highest possession getter at the club has a good disposal efficiency this year. Is 39 in the whole comp for disposals this year and was playing as a defensive forward. Most people are gushing about Websters game but Webster was on Stanton when he went on a rampage. People just need to stop bagging Clint and find a new whipping boy. Stanton is Essendon's Clint ironically.
+1

Bushman
Club Player

It seems that the opposition pay no respect to him at all, they know if he gets it a turn over or a pass to no advantage will result. Rarely does he get the ball and use it well, that's why opposition teams don't mind him having it, they are willing to release Jones and apply pressure elsewhere. He needs to be given a job on someone or not be in the side. I respect the guy, he tries as hard as anyone in the side but does not have the ablity to make positive use of the ball.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ChelseaGuy wrote:We are not even a third through the season. Let's see how things pan out before dekisting players
i agree 100% with your comment.....as it relates to the jones boy...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:...Appeared to be starting on the wing alongside Stanton for a lot of the game that I can recall. Was running around on his own quite a bit.
I didn't see this, but I wasn't looking either, so I accept what you say. If Brent Stanton spent much time on the HBF, then I reckon Clint would have picked him up too, in order to stop his run. The fact that Stanton wasn't noticed much in the first half bears this out. It was only when he spent time on the ball and then went forward that he started to get a few kicks - and goals. Certainly Clint wasn't on him then. In an ideal side, Clint wouldn't be in it. But he has made the most of his abilities and that is all we can really demand of our players from one year to another.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

One of his quieter games in recent times that I can recall .. would be stiff to get dropped given he started the season so well, but couldn't afford to have another quiet one given the lads that are playing well at Sandy. I think he will respond well this week.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.