Round 6 In Savage, Out Schneider

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Round 6 In Savage, Out Schneider

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-2 ... homecoming

KIWI-born midfielder Shane Savage has been selected to replace the suspended Adam Schneider for this Friday’s Anzac Day clash against Brisbane.

The former Hawthorn ball-winner, who played the first four games of the year for the Saints before being dropped to the VFL last week, collected 27 touches for Sandringham in its win over North Ballarat on Saturday.
RELATED: VFL match report

“Savage obviously went out of the team last week... and played the way we want him to play so he’s going to get his chance,” Alan Richardson told Saints Insider on Thursday afternoon.

The 23-year-old booted 37 goals in 56 games for Hawthorn, before being traded to the Saints in last year’s trade period.

Sandringham assistant and St Kilda development coach Paul Hudson was delighted with Savage’s offensive and defensive work for the Zebras in the 35-point victory.

“He won a lot of his ball in the contest under pressure,” Hudson said in his VFL player breakdown earlier this week.

“Shane did well in the clearances, worked hard, and applied good pressure as well. We were pleased with his output.”

Despite Alan Richardson suggesting experienced defender Sam Fisher was “a chance” to return to the senior line-up after 10 months out of the game, the 31-year-old has been named as an emergency

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Round 6 In Savage, Out Schneider

B: Geary Gwilt Bruce
HB: Webster Delaney Dempster
C: Montagna Hayes Ray
HF: Steven Riewoldt Billings
F: Saunders Stanley Templeton
Foll: Hickey, Jones, Dunstan
Int: Savage, Ross, Newnes, Curren

Emerg: Dennis-Lane, Longer, Fisher
In: Savage
Out: Schneider (suspended)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-2 ... homecoming

Fisher emergency - any chance of a late change?

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
St Loxton
Club Player

Savage sub i reckon

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Token selection is very disappointing.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping after this NZ game Savage will embrace St Kilda a bit more. I get the feeling he hasn't come to terms with being kicked out of a premiership winning team and being sent to a club that is 5 years off it. Maybe there is some resentment there.

PJ
SS Life Member

Yeah I thought some of those that have been scoring well in the VFL might get a shot. Good luck Savo hope you have a good one.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Token selection is very disappointing.
Probably one of the reasons he came

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Very token selection. Still, he now has a chance and better make the most of it, if not he won't be seen for awhile.
Hope he plays a blinder.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Junior
Club Player

Savage like a lot of players looks better in a top team (surprise surprise) not sure why people are suggesting he has not embraced the club.

Hardly a token selecto went back and got plenty of the ball, would think it wold be a token selection if he went back and did oohing and did not follow instruction.

He was not kicked out of Hawthorn he requested a trade wanting more opportunities. There were a number of clubs trying to obtain his services.

Did the club want him to play in NZ, yes of course they did probaly why they sent him back last week to give him a chance at selection as if he played badly again at AFL level they would have had no choice but to drop him.

Has not performed at a level I would have expected from him but seriously how about giving someone a go and stop making up crap.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well we all know why Savage was selected. If he responds then all good. If he doesn't I hope he spends a month in the VFL regardless.

Was hoping Weller was upgraded and replaced Eli who also doesn't deserve a game based on form.

Weather wise it could be blowy tomorrow with a fair bit of rain during the day but may be fine at night.

From what I've heard 15K tickets have been sold as of a few days ago.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Thought his goal against Crows was a beauty, if he can get few more possessions and really use it he stays in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

not thrilled with the selections this week to be honest

don't think Savage deserved the call up but I get it... thought Milera deserved a chance

Would have liked to see Mave in as well

nonetheless, you take opportunities when they present themselves to you

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Sub will be an interesting selection. I think that Eli may get the job. He has looked tired, flat lately.

We need to let Savage show us his form, not only for tomorrow, but for future selection - a partial run will not do that.

twirlyhair
Club Player

I really doubt Richo is the type to do what you suggest. Pretty average slur of someone who hadn't put a foot wrong at our club.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how to feel about the Savage selection. Part of me thinks it eats away at credibility of coach and process but another part of me accepts the commercial reality of the selection. I'm hoping that AR also accepted the reality of it all if it was something that was imposed on him...you get the feeling he would. Coach and club still in honeymoon phase so all should be sweet there you'd reckon.

As a side note I only heard today that Savage does a weekly radio segment for an NZ radio station so I suppose his profile might be bigger than I previous thought. He's probably doing more media than that too.

He bloody better rip in tomorrow otherwise there could be spittle on the dial.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:

I really doubt Richo is the type to do what you suggest. Pretty average slur of someone who hadn't put a foot wrong at our club.
Agreed pretty average post in my opinion

I would say Junior is close to the mark with his post above.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Junior wrote: Has not performed at a level I would have expected from him but seriously how about giving someone a go and stop making up crap.
He was given a go, a good go, and was miles off the pace... From all accounts had an average VFL game.. Others were better, and have been consistently in the bests... It really doesn't seem like he was deservedly next in line... Should've been made to play games the level Milera, Shenton, Mav etc have regularly before given another shot at it...

Just my opinion, I'm not bothered by it too much, but I dont think it sends the best message as it seems very convenient that he's been included.. Milera has every right to be annoyed... Doesn't take away from what Richo has done so far, very impressive and I'm a big fan.. I'm sure he's in a position with this NZ match where there are other reasons not normally in a head coach's calculations that have to be taken into account with team selection..

Hope he comes out and has 30 & 3.. but if it's a continuation of what we've seen rounds 1-4, he needs a month at least at Sandy..

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thought Savage was the logical in for this week since Schneider has been suspended.

Still waiting on Tom Lee to get a game.

Now sure why people are disappointed with selections. Would they have preferred Beau Maister to get a game?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Savage is an OK selection. He's probably in our best 30 on current form, but we're hoping he'll ultimately be a 150 game midfielder. I'd select him ahead of Templeton & Dennis Trent Lane.

This is the season to give our new, young players an opportunity to cement a regular gig. Savage may prove to be better than Ross, Curren or Jones.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I'm hoping after this NZ game Savage will embrace St Kilda a bit more. I get the feeling he hasn't come to terms with being kicked out of a premiership winning team and being sent to a club that is 5 years off it. Maybe there is some resentment there.

If this isn't a thought or feeling pulled out of thin air well then I don't know what is.

An absolute fabrication - based on nothing.

It's a prime example of how we as people require a narrative on every happening. Our minds crave it. Even still I'm bemused by this post.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I don't think he earnt his spot but it's a little bit schneiders fault even if the suspension is bs. Best option was wellar who has to be upgraded. Will be a big win for savage if he can pull 20 possessions and limit his opponent against the bottom side.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyway they are now forecasting heavy bursts of rain and 30 to 40 knot winds in Welly with the front. It's been a very mild night over here so if it's anything like Melbourne when a front hits things are about to go majorly pear-shaped!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintkellerm
Club Player

Is this a danger game for the Saints? After our great win last week, I hope the boys can bring the same effort and intensity. Brisbane will be desperate for a win, I jus hope we r too!

Go Saints!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintkellerm wrote:Is this a danger game for the Saints?
Yep. If we are not switched on we will get rolled.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Part of me thinks it eats away at credibility of coach and process but another part of me accepts the commercial reality of the selection.
Yep, It makes sense to play him over there where we are trying to get the locals interested in the game. He'd want to play well, though, otherwise it's straight out next week.