Conditions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Conditions

Whilst not as bad at the start as last year, rain or not, night games in NZ become ridiculously slippery!! Happens every week in the rugby. I thought we might have handled it better given our experience from last year, but if anything Brisbane adapted better. When we did crank up our intensity and came back in the second half, was always going to be hard to chase down a deficit in those greasy conditions...I hope the team trained at night at least once or twice before game day, and if not, maybe they should think about it again for next year, because as much as I'd like to say the conditions make for a s*** spectacle, we're going to keep going to NZ, so we need to play well there!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Conditions

We play indoors as a home ground Brisbane play in rhat crap most night games. Thats what you get for pkaying a home game away. f*** you AFL.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Rugby grounds are cut a lot longer than AFL grounds.
We clearly had the wrong footwear in the first half!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Junior
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rugby grounds are cut a lot longer than AFL grounds.
Spot on it was so obvious we cold not keep our feet.

It was also I vows that they were more used to handling a slippery ball. We fumbled at ground level so often and they were so clean.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
andrewg
Club Player

Prefer this game in Aus with me in the stands............13,000 in NZ? i know its worth money to the club but being on Foxtel and overseas really disconnects the core supporter group with the club. Two losses over there doesn't help either.
does anyone know what the member make up game is this year??

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

We were smashed in the first half when it was dry. We smashed them in the second half when it was slippery. I disagree it suited them better.

Club Player

The very short ground doesn't favour CHF's especially our No12 and the space he needs to avoid 3 opponents for 100 minutes

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:We were smashed in the first half when it was dry. We smashed them in the second half when it was slippery. I disagree it suited them better.
So why did we slip over for the whole of the first half? It was slippery for the whole game!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
8856brother wrote:We were smashed in the first half when it was dry. We smashed them in the second half when it was slippery. I disagree it suited them better.
So why did we slip over for the whole of the first half? It was slippery for the whole game!
Good question. Lions didn't in the first half. Was quite obviously greasier later in the game.

Saintsational Legend

looked bloody slippery.
we needed gloves.
jack couldnt bloody hold the ball at all.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Was windy in the 1st half then calm in the second. Wasn't that cold either. Wasn't the type of weather I'd associate with dew and slippery conditions.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
70s sainter
Club Player

This game should def be played during the day over there . But of course to avoid a clash with the almighty over here it won't happen .
If they are serious about showing afl skills it has to be a day game.

derby Street
Club Player

Lions kicked with a howling wind behind them in the first quarter and we did O.K for a while but made some poor defensive mistakes. it backed of a bit in the 2nd quarter and that is where we lost it. The last half conditions weren't too bad and surprisingly we started to play better but in the end just couldn't take our chances.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

70s sainter wrote:This game should def be played during the day over there . But of course to avoid a clash with the almighty over here it won't happen .
You could actually start the game at say 130pm new Zealand time which would be 11:30am Melbourne time.

This would then lead into the Coll v Ess game, but that would make too much sense!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
70s sainter wrote:This game should def be played during the day over there . But of course to avoid a clash with the almighty over here it won't happen .
You could actually start the game at say 130pm new Zealand time which would be 11:30am Melbourne time.

This would then lead into the Coll v Ess game, but that would make too much sense!
This would be a great idea cos the afl could squeeze in another game .

11 - 2 wellington game
2 - 5 mcg game
5 - 8 SA game
8 - 11 WA game

All in E.S.T. so no issue with a game finishing late in perth as it would be over by 9 local time .
what else would any one want to do on ANZAC day . :sarcasm:

In red white and black from 73
FQF
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rugby grounds are cut a lot longer than AFL grounds.
They didn't cut the grass to AFL standard?

Ruskin Rat

It was a late nite in NZ if you went to the game

The 1.30 pm start in Wellington is a great idea. Good for the locals and the conditions

Its the Filth/Bummers ANZAC Day franchise conspiracy that will stop it - they always want it their way by having the first game (and all the MCG revenue - unless there is a share arrangement?????)

PS the ground looked in good nick although the bounce was dodgey at the southern end............

SuperSaint66
Club Player

This would then lead into the Coll v Ess game, but that would make too much sense![/quote]

Excellent suggestion!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint66 wrote:You could actually start the game at say 130pm new Zealand time which would be 11:30am Melbourne time.

Excellent suggestion![/quote]

The RSL will never allow it. You seem to forget what the holiday is for.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:We play indoors as a home ground Brisbane play in rhat crap most night games. Thats what you get for pkaying a home game away. f*** you AFL.
Why are you blaming the AFL? We asked for the game because we wanted the $500k. Find another way to get that money and we can get rid of the game.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Looks like my suggestion about the change of game time has been taken on board there was an article in the paper today with Finnis talking about it!

It would have nothing to do with what I said but I'll claim it! The club does read saintsational you know! :)

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Looks like my suggestion about the change of game time has been taken on board there was an article in the paper today with Finnis talking about it!

It would have nothing to do with what I said but I'll claim it! The club does read saintsational you know! :)

11.30am is too late but 11.10am ozzie time should be ok.

I advocated that time from the start. Don't understand why it was never considered until now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Matt Finnis was quoted in the HS earlier in the week saying an earlier start would be looked at / requested. Mentioned getting more young families as a reason, but surely the spectacle of this foreign game to the locals comes into play.

Nothing is open before Midday on Anzac Day, so I think this is your starting time in Melbourne. 2pm in Wellington is a perfectly acceptable time, assuming the NZ version of the RSL have similar expectations of Anzac Day as they do here in Oz.

Scum and the Injectors can kick off at 3pm, leading into your 6 o'clock news.

The other option is to make the game at the MCG a night game, and play in Wellington in the afternoon (2.30 AEST, 4.30 NZ)

I'm a big supporter of playing this game overseas. It's only 2 years in, give it some time to build up and I think it will be successful. It doesnt really cost us anything, it's not going to make the difference between winning a flag or not for the next couple of years. We should get behind it and support the club for their innovation, not having a whinge and blaming NZ for us not kicking straight in the last quarter