The Frost Brothers?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The Frost Brothers?

What is it with our recruiting at the club over recent times that we have been so poor in identifying and developing our own keys defenders? The Frost brothers were both local kids playing in our backyard but we chose to overlook them at a time when the club was screaming for key defenders. They both entered the AFL system via Rookie drafts and would have cost the club very little in that regard.

I recall reading one of the more prolific posters suggesting that neither of them would make it AFL level. Well haven't they proven him wrong! They are still a work in progress, but both are tall quick strong aggressive defenders that the club would love to have on our list last year. I will go as far as suggesting that they are both the equivalent and will possibly be better long term options than Delaney and Bruce.

Tom Langdon is another proven quality player who played with Sandringham and our recruiters chose to overlook him.

Allowing Matt Couch to go thru to Adelaide in last year draft was another decision which our recruiters will regret in time. Sometimes recruiters can become too cute and overlook the kids under our noses!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Re: The Frost Brothers?

So not happy with Newnes, wright, Webster, Dunstan, billings, acres, templeton, Saunders? On top of that, Josh Bruce is only 21 (a year younger than Frost). And is taller, he is also very quick and got a great tank.
As for Crouch, we had two picks before him, so who would you have not drafted Dunstan or Acres? I'll give you the tip, Acres will be elite

I thnk our recruiting over the past couple of seasons has been excellent

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Can't recruit everyone,every club has a story!

PADDLEPOP1000
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:So not happy with Newnes, wright, Webster, Dunstan, billings, acres, templeton, Saunders? On top of that, Josh Bruce is only 21 (a year younger than Frost). And is taller, he is also very quick and got a great tank.
As for Crouch, we had two picks before him, so who would you have not drafted Dunstan or Acres? I'll give you the tip, Acres will be elite

Come on BBMD, cant you allow someone to wallow in their own misery? Why bring up facts?

Oh you forgot Weller whois also a rookie and will be on the list soon :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We paid nothing for Bruce and Delaney. Too early to compare them against the Frost guys but obviously we targeted a couple of talls and got them to the club. Well done to our recruiters there.

There's a reason why Crouch was overlooked in the first round by every club. Not sure if targeting Robinson and Matt Priddis types is in Pelchen longterm plans. Acres will be a star.

Agree on Langdon. That was a massive oversight considering he was killing it for Sandy.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:So not happy with Newnes, wright, Webster, Dunstan, billings, acres, templeton, Saunders? On top of that, Josh Bruce is only 21 (a year younger than Frost). And is taller, he is also very quick and got a great tank.

+1

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think our recruiting in the last 2 years has been solid. I question Spencer White - we paid overs for a kid who couldn't make the state team , other than that it's been good.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

We jagged a KPD for free...be happy

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out recruiting completely stunk beyween 2005 and 2011.
No two ways about it. Under resourced and John Beveridge was past it and was off the pace and that Peake guy was either clueless or a Geelong double agent. He was not Stephen Wells.

Since Elshaugh came on board ive been bloody happy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe we didn't get Rodda from WA he's a beautiful size and a very good player but for some reason wasn't worth a rookie spot despite last year being desperate for someone like that. I love Crouch but I'm happy we got Dunstan. I was measuring him against Crouch because that's who I would have taken but Dunstan's poise and disposal quality has been excellent. Crouch will get 30 possessions per week but 15 will be iffy. He is like a more prolific Clint Jones. He would possibly frustrate as much as he'd excite.

Last year was our best draft since the early 2000s and I'm not going to bag any decision they made.

falka
Club Player

The reality is you play 2 genuine kp size defenders a game, maybe a third. So we have Delaney and Bruce, do you want the frost brothers instead?

Every club missed these guys.

Look at Lever he was kpd but not up to it. So don't just draft on size.

Elshaug years looking great with picks we had. 2011 draft is our ground zero to look back in time.

Sure, if I had a time machine you would go back to 2001 draft as head recruiter and go beserk.

If Elshaug keeps it up we will be happy (as long as there is a photo of the draftee)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lever was a terrible selection... Never looked like it from day 1 even at Sandy he was struggling. Felt for him.

None of the kids you've mentioned have made it yet.... Acres hasn't even played?

Can we not hail a draft successful until players prove themselves... Let them develop

2010 was our great draft after half a year.... Cripps, Ledger, Sipoos in particular were showing great signs in the VFL and even AFL in cameos
None of those players are locked away as success yet... It is looking promising though

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re Langdon, our last pick in the draft was @ 19, so I'm more than comfortable we took Acres, over Langdon or Crouch. Blake will be a superstar of the competition in five years. Had we kept the pick we used for Bruce, we could've had Langdon, but in years to come we would've said, why did we use that on Langdon instead of Templeton. Remember Tom is a year older than all of the other recruits so is further advanced.

Maybe we should've picked up Crouch over Dunstan :lol: Or not...

As for The Frost brothers, we could've also had the Talia brothers too. But honestly, what is the point in all of this hindsight recruiting!?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:Re Langdon, our last pick in the draft was @ 19, so I'm more than comfortable we took Acres, over Langdon or Crouch. Blake will be a superstar of the competition in five years. Had we kept the pick we used for Bruce, we could've had Langdon, but in years to come we would've said, why did we use that on Langdon instead of Templeton. Remember Tom is a year older than all of the other recruits so is further advanced.

As for The Frost brothers, we could've also had the Talia brothers too. But honestly, what is the point in all of this hindsight recruiting!?
The point is that we haven't drafted an A grade key position player be it a defender since the Wakelin twins or a forward since Reiwoldt. Identifying and developing your own key players has to always be better then relying on recruiting from other clubs. I also question whether historically - including our current recruitment team we have an issue with identifying quality talls.

You can guarantee Delaney and Bruce have had a fairly sizeable contract offered to them to get them across. For me that is 'false economy' when equivalent players were available in the rookie drafts. If we had of taken any of the Frost brothers or Kyle Hartigan cheaply in either drafts we would have been able to maintain our integrity in the main draft. I agree with everyone regarding the marked improvement in recruiting over the past years and they cant correct everything immediately - but even they have their weaknesses!

FQF
SS Life Member

Too early to call on a lot of our youngsters, but so far all the signs point to a very successful few years of recruiting. Not willing to criticise the club yet. The only questionable trade from the period was the one involving Lee, but even that is probably at worst a break even.

Junior
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
St Ick wrote:Re Langdon, our last pick in the draft was @ 19, so I'm more than comfortable we took Acres, over Langdon or Crouch. Blake will be a superstar of the competition in five years. Had we kept the pick we used for Bruce, we could've had Langdon, but in years to come we would've said, why did we use that on Langdon instead of Templeton. Remember Tom is a year older than all of the other recruits so is further advanced.

The point is that we haven't drafted an A grade key position player be it a defender since the Wakelin twins or a forward since Reiwoldt. Identifying and developing your own key players has to always be better then relying on recruiting from other clubs. I also question whether historically - including our current recruitment team we have an issue with identifying quality talls.

You can guarantee Delaney and Bruce have had a fairly sizeable contract offered to them to get them across. For me that is 'false economy' when equivalent players were available in the rookie drafts. If we had of taken any of the Frost brothers or Kyle Hartigan cheaply in either drafts we would have been able to maintain our integrity in the main draft. I agree with everyone regarding the marked improvement in recruiting over the past years and they cant correct everything immediately - but even they have their weaknesses!
Reckon Maquire was A grade prior to breaking his leg.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Sam Fisher is/was pretty A Grade too.

I always love a bit of retrospective recruiting.

Not really sure that the performance of either Frost Brother has demanding a 'why didn't we draft them????' tirade.

What does 'maintain our integrity' in the main draft mean? Do you mean have further picks? That would have required further players be delisted & due to contracts that would have meant paying players out & breaking contracts. Sounds a bit lacking in integrity to me.

Were you talking about the 2012 rookie draft? I'm pretty happy with the 2013 rookie draft & would much rather have Eli & Mav that the Frost brothers.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:What is it with our recruiting at the club over recent times that we have been so poor in identifying and developing our own keys defenders? The Frost brothers were both local kids playing in our backyard but we chose to overlook them at a time when the club was screaming for key defenders. They both entered the AFL system via Rookie drafts and would have cost the club very little in that regard.

I recall reading one of the more prolific posters suggesting that neither of them would make it AFL level. Well haven't they proven him wrong! They are still a work in progress, but both are tall quick strong aggressive defenders that the club would love to have on our list last year. I will go as far as suggesting that they are both the equivalent and will possibly be better long term options than Delaney and Bruce.

Tom Langdon is another proven quality player who played with Sandringham and our recruiters chose to overlook him.

Allowing Matt Couch to go thru to Adelaide in last year draft was another decision which our recruiters will regret in time. Sometimes recruiters can become too cute and overlook the kids under our noses!

joel tippert is another one......our recruiters looked at him at the end of 2012......said he wasn't good enough for afl ..so we went into the season without a full back...he starred in the sth aussie league last year...as a full back.....nth picked him up as a rookie this year...hasn't looked back.....196cm and around 90 k's ...to me a much better footballer that either of delaney or bruce....nth must be laughing their heads off......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bruce needs to improve his marking and kicking skills

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lever was a terrible selection... Never looked like it from day 1 even at Sandy he was struggling. Felt for him.

None of the kids you've mentioned have made it yet.... Acres hasn't even played?

Can we not hail a draft successful until players prove themselves... Let them develop

2010 was our great draft after half a year.... Cripps, Ledger, Sipoos in particular were showing great signs in the VFL and even AFL in cameos
None of those players are locked away as success yet... It is looking promising though

You really need to get a clue.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Sam Fisher is/was pretty A Grade too.

I always love a bit of retrospective recruiting.

Not really sure that the performance of either Frost Brother has demanding a 'why didn't we draft them????' tirade.

What does 'maintain our integrity' in the main draft mean? Do you mean have further picks? That would have required further players be delisted & due to contracts that would have meant paying players out & breaking contracts. Sounds a bit lacking in integrity to me.

Were you talking about the 2012 rookie draft? I'm pretty happy with the 2013 rookie draft & would much rather have Eli & Mav that the Frost brothers.
I hardly call the post a tirade! On Fisher yes is A grade but he is very limited on who he can play on at CHB. He was allowed the 3rd up run off roles via the Lyon era, there is no way he could shut down on any of the key forwards in todays game...

hayes66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Out recruiting completely stunk beyween 2005 and 2011.
No two ways about it. Under resourced and John Beveridge was past it and was off the pace and that Peake guy was either clueless or a Geelong double agent. He was not Stephen Wells.

Since Elshaugh came on board ive been bloody happy.
Spot on. Let's look at 07 & 08 as cases in point. Pick 9 McEvoy. Terrible. Can't see why Hawthorn picked him up. Then we traded a pick in the twenties for Schneider and Dempster ( I think they didn't trust Peake with that selection.) then what did he do with pick 42. Bloody Steven!!
08. Pick 13 Lynch!! How did he pick him? We didn't need a mobile third tall. We already had McQualtor and Eddy. Only Adelaide people think Lynch can play. We traded pick 31 (I think they had lost confidence in our recruiters at this stage after '07). And guess what he did with that prime pick 47. Bloody Stanley. What the? I won't mention pick 48 Heyne. Rookies: Zac the hack and Simpkin.
He ain't no Stephen Wells. Wells had pick 15 in the 08 draft and he picked Mitch Brown. I'd prefer Brown to Lynch.
No 07 & 08. Disasters. Scott Watters even mentioned how terrible it was.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:

I'd say Goose and Chips were A grade, given time, Lynch could get there too.

Bruce is 21, was All Aussie U18 and shows a massive amount of potential for a 197cm defender, albeit with some kicking issues at times. Delaney is an immediate solution, who shows signs of playing 100+ for us. Yes they may have received decent contracts, but honestly, I'm just glad we got someone. We can complain about all of the players we've passed on, or we can hope the ones we've got are decent.

As for Tom Lee, its a real concern, but even if he fails, the trade to secure 24 & 42 was still judged by many to actually be a win without Lee. I think Nath Wright came out of that and his form is probably that of a pick 12 anyway, he is certainly not shown any less potential that JLo at the Suns.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!