End of season delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

End of season delistings

Still probably to early to call but we are half way and had a look at most players this season. This is probably a tough exercise because i think we will trade for some players and if possible a pick or two this year but I will give it go based on not knowing all but some of the contracts players have.

I will try some sort of order.

TDL. Think it is plainly obvious that he will be first to go at this stage of the season
CJ. Probably harsh that is second to go when we have so many others who also could go but age and skills dont help him.
Sam Fisher. Injuries mean he is gone. Great career and a great player for the club
Sam Dunell. Just isnt an AFL footballer. he is a good VFL player
Beau Maister. Actually could be before a few. maybe second to go.
Tom Simkin. Similar to Dunell in that he isnt quite an AFL player. May have a contract though. Someone would know here.
Adam Schneider. Injuries may see him out the door.
Terry Milera. not the type of player who will ever really help a poor side.

Lucky players are Rhys Stanley. Should really be gone but he will get another year because they all cant go and the word promise
Probably luckiest of the lot. Arryn Siposs. Has a contract I believe. Nothing else could save him
Lenny hayes. Well thats his decision but he may be begged to stay with the amount that could go
Dylan Roberton. gets another year because of last year.
Spencer White. Age saves him not form.
Lewis Pierce. Young ruckman. Gets another year.
Daniel markworth. Probably very lucky. Injury may give him one more year.

Rookies
Minchington. Obvious gone due to form
Weller. Another year as a rookie or upgrade. Not sure he helps the side though
Shenton. Interesting one. He will need the 11 games to decide his future. Probable upgrade but not sure
Templeton. Stay as a rookie unless we dont want to many picks
Holmes. obviously gets another year.

Based on 2 upgrades that gets us 6 picks. We wont need that many unless we get picks further up the draft. We actually need at least that many but no point having pick 90 so we need upgrade to we have all 6 picks inside 50 or even 40. Big job for the boys.

Anyway anyone got any thoughts on this topic?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: End of season delistings

Agree P66, think Fisher is gone, probably wont even get a farewell game as I doubt he will be fit again, sad end to a good career.
If TDL can't get a game now, he never will.
Beau, no future.
Schneider, played so well against Essendon, but injuries are probably going to force him out.
CJ, great warrior, but lack of skills, no future.
Dunnell sealed his fate last night
Simpkin, they may try that forward experiment with him again next week, but his future is in his hands, doesn't perform, doesn't get another year.
Mileara could go either way, but age may work against him, could be a possible trade, he isn't terrible, would be better in a better side.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Happy to let the football department make the call

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Happy to let the football department make the call

Im pretty sure they do even if some on here thought they do. Just thought it was about that time of year to discuss it.

wally
Club Player

I think Richo said the other night on TV,that they would start looking at the list & drafting in the next couple of weeks.
I would hope that players who weren't gonna be around next year wouldn't be getting many more games.( except Lenny)

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

CJ goes and how sweet it will be.

Maister, Dunnel, TDL, Fisher, Schnieder with the latter two due to body problems.

What don't you see in Siposs and Stanley Pluggsy? Personally I think they will be fine however there seems to be negativity towards both.

Do we take into account that both play forward in a terrible side whereby the midfielders only really look at one option?

To me, that holds sway as it is a negative upon a negative.

Plus the delivery is terrible.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

obviously not set in stone but surely any calls on Dunnell are premature

played one game as a forward I beleieve, in Adelaide against top of the table Port, in a huge loss after a month of solid VFL form... and that's it????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:CJ goes and how sweet it will be.

Maister, Dunnel, TDL, Fisher, Schnieder with the latter two due to body problems.

What don't you see in Siposs and Stanley Pluggsy? Personally I think they will be fine however there seems to be negativity towards both.

Do we take into account that both play forward in a terrible side whereby the midfielders only really look at one option?

To me, that holds sway as it is a negative upon a negative.

Plus the delivery is terrible.

I take into account that Siposshave been ordinary at sandy this season and Stanley hasnt been good even when rucking apart from the first couple of games. Our forward line will be poor for years so they need to work on other ways of helping the side.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think there is a chance Roo will hang them up at the end of the year? Hope not, but he looks so sore, all the time. Amazing what he has done this year.

8856brother wrote:Does anyone think there is a chance Roo will hang them up at the end of the year? Hope not, but he looks so sore, all the time. Amazing what he has done this year.

I think 700k maybe to much to say no to especially now that he needs to feed a kid. And im sure he still loves footy and loves being captain of our club. If he left this season we may have to go a year without a captain.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Shaw ad Fine discussed Simpkin.

Was impressed that he copped a serious hit early and came back on and tore in physically.

Fine pointed out that this was good but he is just a bit too slow and just a bit to short for AFL.

Shaw countered that he would rather watch Tom Simpkin and his deficiencies than WCE any day of the week because he has a go physically.

Maybe we could build a team around such player Shaw pondered.

Food for thought. While not great, there are plenty of players I would delist before Simpkin at the moment.

You are garbage - Enough said
spert
Saintsational Legend

I would make a very tough call and say thanks for your efforts to Lenny, Montagna, Ray, Roo, Jones, Fisher and I probably would have done it before this season.... ouch

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I would make a very tough call and say thanks for your efforts to Lenny, Montagna, Ray, Roo, Jones, Fisher and I probably would have done it before this season.... ouch

Tell me thats a joke. We are losing by close to 50 to 100 points every week. if they all went we would lose by at least 150 each week and players like jack and Armo would be telling there managers to get me out of this hole. Our reputation would be shot and the AFL I reckon would seriously wonder if its even worth having us in the comp. We wouldnt get more than 20k members because people would be disgusted with the club and we would lose local sponsors. nothing good can come from that idea IMO but happy to hear even one thing good from it.

And why are Dempster and Jimmy safe if those others go?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Well, we are club who have a history of not making the tough calls for the future- sure lots of dumb and reactionary calls, but basically we have an older group of players (yes, including Gwilt and Dempster)who have failed to deliver a premiership in their prime with us and will never deliver a premiership nor magically regain their youthful form- and although Roo and Lenny especially are doing a great job individually, it is to no avail. Once teams get thrashed by over 80 points regularly, it doesn't really matter about the margin beyond that- the team is stuffed, and the AFL is now looking at a stuffed St Kilda already.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Well, we are club who have a history of not making the tough calls for the future- sure lots of dumb and reactionary calls, but basically we have an older group of players (yes, including Gwilt and Dempster)who have failed to deliver a premiership in their prime with us and will never deliver a premiership nor magically regain their youthful form- and although Roo and Lenny especially are doing a great job individually, it is to no avail. Once teams get thrashed by over 80 points regularly, it doesn't really matter about the margin beyond that- the team is stuffed, and the AFL is now looking at a stuffed St Kilda already.

It does matter though. If we were to just get rid of all of them we lose credibility in the sport and more importantly our supporters. Yep if you are losing by a lot it may not seem it matters if its 70 points or 150 but we would lose every game by at least 100 points even to the second bottom side. Also the younger players wouldnt have anyone to learn off either at training or on game day and more importantly guys like Steven and Armo would want to leave such rabble so we would be even worse off. get rid of 2 or 3 olders guys per year. We dont have enough good players as it.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:I would make a very tough call and say thanks for your efforts to Lenny, Montagna, Ray, Roo, Jones, Fisher and I probably would have done it before this season.... ouch

Tell me thats a joke. We are losing by close to 50 to 100 points every week. if they all went we would lose by at least 150 each week and players like jack and Armo would be telling there managers to get me out of this hole. Our reputation would be shot and the AFL I reckon would seriously wonder if its even worth having us in the comp. We wouldnt get more than 20k members because people would be disgusted with the club and we would lose local sponsors. nothing good can come from that idea IMO but happy to hear even one thing good from it.

And why are Dempster and Jimmy safe if those others go?
Lenny, Roo, Joey and Dempster are vital parts in the team being somewhat competitive. The end of those three could very well see the end of St Kilda as we know it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Does anyone think there is a chance Roo will hang them up at the end of the year? Hope not, but he looks so sore, all the time. Amazing what he has done this year.

I think 700k maybe to much to say no to especially now that he needs to feed a kid. And im sure he still loves footy and loves being captain of our club. If he left this season we may have to go a year without a captain.
Hang on we can make Geary captain and he can play CHF.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I pretty much agree with the entire op.

Simpkin is an interesting one and probably deserves another year to see if we can find him a role that suits.

Tezza probably holds on for another year just.

Gwilt is probably line ball.

The really interesting one for me is going to be Joey. The way he plays and with his body he might still have 3 seasons in him but he might have lost the passion for the Saints. A trade might be in both parties interests.
Not sure how it will pan out but might be a watch this space job.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I pretty much agree with the entire op.

Simpkin is an interesting one and probably deserves another year to see if we can find him a role that suits.

Tezza probably holds on for another year just.

Gwilt is probably line ball.

The really interesting one for me is going to be Joey. The way he plays and with his body he might still have 3 seasons in him but he might have lost the passion for the Saints. A trade might be in both parties interests.
Not sure how it will pan out but might be a watch this space job.

Yep completely forgot Jimmy. I reckon he maybe in a bit of trouble. It will depend on how many they want to lose.

PJ
SS Life Member

Templeton would be my first upgrade ahead of Weller and Shenton due to his skill set. Small forward with speed, finds the goals regularly and tackling pressure is good.

I think Lenny may pack it in - he won't stay till the bitter end IMO.
Fisher's fate will be decided on whether he can get back playing this year.
Schneids I think is gone.

Delist: Maister, TDL, Dunnell, Simpkin.

About 6 or 7 to go. 4 picks in the draft.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Schneider - body is stuffed
Milera - soft, doesn't run hard when he doesn't have the ball and doesn't lay any effective tackles
TDL - very small and no physical strength. More suited to WAFL
Dunell - in-betweener with no physical strength, but nicer skills than some
Jones - may have hit the wall. Real goer, but it's getting harder for him every week
Maister - it's a shame because this guy really puts in and is the only other forward who works anywhere near as hard as Riewoldt
Simpkin- love his grunt and courage, but key position players need to be at least 5cm taller and 10kg heavier to make it theses days. Contract expires at year's end

Stanley - possible trade out, but with so few talks on our list will likely stay
Siposs - maybe one more year. Don't think he has the urgency in his play to really make it.

Shenton - upgrade
Templeton - upgrade (why have him as a rookie when he has line breaking speed and great foot skills
Minchington - unlikely to stay

Weller - stay as rookie

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Schneider - body is stuffed
Milera - soft, doesn't run hard when he doesn't have the ball and doesn't lay any effective tackles
TDL - very small and no physical strength. More suited to WAFL
Dunell - in-betweener with no physical strength, but nicer skills than some
Jones - may have hit the wall. Real goer, but it's getting harder for him every week
Maister - it's a shame because this guy really puts in and is the only other forward who works anywhere near as hard as Riewoldt
Simpkin- love his grunt and courage, but key position players need to be at least 5cm taller and 10kg heavier to make it theses days. Contract expires at year's end

Stanley - possible trade out, but with so few talks on our list will likely stay
Siposs - maybe one more year. Don't think he has the urgency in his play to really make it.

Shenton - upgrade
Templeton - upgrade (why have him as a rookie when he has line breaking speed and great foot skills
Minchington - unlikely to stay

Weller - stay as rookie

Just found out Tom does have another year to run on his contract.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Clearly, we need to move players on, including some of the older players mentioned by other Posters. However, from a Club/Members/Sponsor perspective, we cannot afford to "decimate" the list.

I notice that posters are recommending that we unload "recent recruits," so simply moving a lot on, does not guarantee that they will be replaced by good players, judging on our previous performance. If we go all out, then players like Jack, Armo, Monty may well move on.

My solution - "buy" the top recruiter from one of the other top Clubs. That may just be the best recruiting job we could do :P

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

If we upgrade Templeton, Shenton and Weller (which all three deserve), this allows us to delist more deadwood.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Beg to Differ about Fisher.... He is an all time great at S tK... Not many other defenders in our history are dual B&F winners (twice runner up) ...

The fact that his body will be fresh from missing 12-18 months of footy I think he easily has another season. If he doesn't reoccur his hammy in the second half... He'll be like a new recruit.

And as a backline general, he is missed about as much as Hayes in the midfield or Roo fwd would be.