What's our gameplan?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What's our gameplan?

Honestly not grasping it?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's our gameplan?

SainterK wrote:Honestly not grasping it?
Neither are the players, YET.

noob
Club Player

Hopefully in the not distance future when some of the younger players development physically we have a game plan that doesn't have our forwards being double teamed like against Port.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Just get it to Roo

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gameplan worked ok when we had a better side. Whatever it is it worked fine in the first half on saturday but you play players with limited abilty or young kids who arent ready no game plan in the world will stop those run ons.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gameplan worked ok when we had a better side. Whatever it is it worked fine in the first half on saturday but you play players with limited abilty or young kids who arent ready no game plan in the world will stop those run ons.
Not talking about it working or not working....

Just want to know what it is?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Gameplan worked ok when we had a better side. Whatever it is it worked fine in the first half on saturday but you play players with limited abilty or young kids who arent ready no game plan in the world will stop those run ons.
Not talking about it working or not working....

Just want to know what it is?

What was the last 2 coaches game plan? To be honest i reckon not many if any would understand completely the game plan of any coach in the AFL. Yep some will come up with words and a few will agree or disagree but my guess is if a player or coach read it they would laugh at the guessing.

FQF
SS Life Member

They talk about keeping it simple. Can't detect any systematic zoning. Seems to be man on man and trying to keep a relatively open forward line.

One of our major problems is that we transition the ball so slowly from defence to attack that regardless of the plan, or the number of slow half back switches, the forward line is well and truly congested by the time we penetrate the 50.

If we moved the ball quickly, assuredly, and not so tentatively through the middle, our forwards would stand a much better chance. I'd much prefer to see that even with plenty of turnovers in the process than a slow, haphazard forward movement that will usually result in the opposition rebounding it back out anyway (if it even gets there).

But, to be fair to the coaches, we're a poor team with plenty of players who are not talented (or aren't playing to their potential) so it's virtually impossible to tell what the instructions are by looking at what the players are doing.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Most over rated phrase in football

The Game Plan

saint4life
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Most over rated phrase in football

The Game Plan

Totally agree. I reckon 100% of clubs have a game plan that is 90% similar to each other. The next 10% is far to hard for us mortals to even guess at.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think game plans is probably more apt.There is no one game plan.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The idea is to get the ball. Then, keep the ball. And keep it. And keep it.

Getting the ball from a ball up can be problematical. The idea here is that the person who gets the ball first must handball it to a teammate next to him. He must, in turn, handball it someone next to him. He then must handball it to someone next to him. If the other side doesn't have any players on the ground, this will work well.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:Most over rated phrase in football

The Game Plan

Totally agree. I reckon 100% of clubs have a game plan that is 90% similar to each other. The next 10% is far to hard for us mortals to even guess at.
Trying to understand the game plan is pointless at the moment IMO. Gotta get some talent into the team before we start being critical of the game plan...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Game plan:

Hug the boundaries and kick it out on the full if the opposition create too much pressure.

Never take a risk and look for a target through the corridor and when we get to CHF hold onto the ball for as long as you can, so the opposition can flood as many players back on top of our forwards.

Always - Look and handball backwards regardless if you are free and there is forward options.

Go backwards and swith sides particularly when Roo has a one on one contest with his opponent.

Never notice any other leading forwards than Roo, alternatively bomb it long to a 3 on 1 situation, which as a coach I am happy to allow!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Game plan:

Hug the boundaries and kick it out on the full if the opposition create too much pressure.

Never take a risk and look for a target through the corridor and when we get to CHF hold onto the ball for as long as you can, so the opposition can flood as many players back on top of our forwards.

Always - Look and handball backwards regardless if you are free and there is forward options.

Go backwards and swith sides particularly when Roo has a one on one contest with his opponent.

Never notice any other leading forwards than Roo, alternatively bomb it long to a 3 on 1 situation, which as a coach I am happy to allow!

If you dont like I suggest you dont watch it. And if you are going to talk of the game plan have a real go instead of talking rubbish. We are a poorly skilled side with players eiother not up to it or to young to impact yet. If you immediate success then follow another club. Its not the rest of us fault or even the club that you unrealistically thought we may win up to 10 games this year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The game plan is to get it and kick thru the big sticks. Make sure you do it more than the opposition

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We seem to be playing a pretty much man on man (sorry Peta...person on person) system all over the ground rather than any sort of zoning cleverness. Not sure if Richo just wants to keep it simple while learning or if he feels that the sort of footy that gets played in finals so that's how he wants them to play from the get go. It's leading to some blow outs now but maybe down the track we will have players who can win those big one on ones that often mean the difference in big games.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:The game plan is to get it and kick thru the big sticks. Make sure you do it more than the opposition
naah that will never take off

linz
Club Player

Can anyone tell me what a game plan is apart from get ball?

OK, my game plan would be
1) Get Ball
2) Keep ball
3) Kick more goals than opponent
4) Win game

Yay. I get $500K a year as best coach.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
MrCordz
Club Player

According to Brereton there's no such thing

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

With the injuries we've got its thrown out pretty quickly - but I do agree the defensive mindset from rounds 1-5 seems to have disappeared.

Humbly St. Kilda
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The gameplan is fundamentally built on team defence, the style of footy that first sydney in 2005 then ross lyon with us in 2009 then collingwood and so on down the list all implemented succesfully. It's no surprise that we've chosen a gameplan built on defense because apparently Richo allowed the players themselves to have a big say in what the gameplan would be when he came in, and they favoured the style of play they'd been successful with in the past, which just so happened to be Richo's inclination too so that all worked out well. If we weren't going to build our game around defense, then the only option would be to the the geelong or the hawthorn or the essendon route and build the game around spectacular offence rather than defense, and clearly our gameplan is not that.

The key differences, as I see them, between the gameplan we're working towards with Richo and the one we had with ross are that
a.) Ross used "role players" extensivley. ie "tagger" or "defensive forward," players who had one specific role in the team, whereas Richo will pick players who are versatile over players that can only do one thing
b.) There is a far greater emphasis placed on the overall skill level of the players with richo - in other words he won't, unlike ross, pick players who cant kick. I expect to see a far greater spread of goalkickers, rather than having 70% of our goals kicked by 2 players (Riewoldt/milne, or Pavlich/ballantyne)

It's a more balanced looking gameplan than we had under ross, and certainly more balanced than the one under watters. When its all functioning with the players at full-capacity I expect us to be a team that is not only very hard to score against but also which is able to match it with the best offensive teams in the comp: the complete package.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Demons are a similar way in under a new coach, and I can see what they are trying to do.

That's my point I guess.

Call it what you want, I just can't see what were trying to do.

Oh, and matchups, how did Shenton vs The Hoff get past magnets on a whiteboard?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We push our forwards up very high. Our wings push back defensively and we play a plus 1 in the back half.

We play two defensive small fwds (Josh, CJ) . And push a fwd into the midfield (Joey)... Two Talls and a crumber (Billings/Scnieder)

We do the usual switch on a slow play from HB... To a player coming from behind the ball... And we press on a slow play like all teams.

On a fast play, because all our fwds have pushed high, we try to slingshot over the defence if the press, if the leave numbers back we try to use a hit up

We love to use the Wings... From midfield... Because opposition also have a spare... We will go sideways and the fwds will lead to the pocket, to try and draw the spare wide, then either shot on goal or square it (like Sipposs did to Milera a few weeks back

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We push our forwards up very high. Our wings push back defensively and we play a plus 1 in the back half.

We play two defensive small fwds (Josh, CJ) . And push a fwd into the midfield (Joey)... Two Talls and a crumber (Billings/Scnieder)

We do the usual switch on a slow play from HB... To a player coming from behind the ball... And we press on a slow play like all teams.

On a fast play, because all our fwds have pushed high, we try to slingshot over the defence if the press, if the leave numbers back we try to use a hit up

We love to use the Wings... From midfield... Because opposition also have a spare... We will go sideways and the fwds will lead to the pocket, to try and draw the spare wide, then either shot on goal or square it (like Sipposs did to Milera a few weeks back

As I said sounds like 90% of all sides game plan. The 10% that you and all of us are incapable of understanding is the difference with all the sides. That 10% is what all sides train for and it takes time to learn and see. Impossible for us on TV or at the game to see it.