We desperately need a crumbing forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We desperately need a crumbing forward

Tonight's performance again demonstrated how much we miss Milney. We have struggled badly when the ball has hit the deck in our forward fifty and at the moment, we don't seem to have anyone who could fit into the role. I know some will nominate Jack Billings as the obvious candidate, but I see him developing into a goal kicking midfielder.

I'm disappointed that Terry Milera hasn't been able to fill the role, as I believe he has the skill and pace to do so. For some reason he just hasn't grasped the opportunity, and time maybe running out for him. I wonder if Saad is in the pelican's future plans, or if he intends to trade one in. Does anyone know who fits the bill and might be available at the end of the season?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: We desperately need a crumbing forward

Reckon we need a silky outside mid too

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

agree. Milne has been a massive loss...

Play the Minch, for the last games of the year he's shown a bit... if he fails bye but i think he has something... Saad a chance to come back next year?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Templeton gave us a lot of energy and forward pressure in the early games. Minchington could have tried to stake his claim to that spot but having the timing to rove packs and be a goal sneak is something you either have or don't.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Reckon we need a silky outside mid too
Markworth might be this if he's good enough and gets his body right.

Not sure about crumbling forwards, I just think we need better, smarter delivery. Maybe we need more tackling pressure too from Saunders?

Saad is worth a shot IMO.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Jimmy Webster as a mid runner? he's injured atm yeh?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Reckon we need a silky outside mid or two
Edited for accuracy :wink:

Saintlester
Club Player

Would be nice to have but Milne is a once in a lifetime small forward. You make do, Curren was OK tonight and I think can work. Don't be distracted our biggest need is MIDFIELDERS, MIDFIELDERS, MIDFIELDERS. The next 2 drafts should draft as many mids as possible. We can muddle through with forwards until ready for a real crack but can't muddle through with sub standard midfield.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Saintlester wrote:Would be nice to have but Milne is a once in a lifetime small forward. You make do, Curren was OK tonight and I think can work. Don't be distracted our biggest need is MIDFIELDERS, MIDFIELDERS, MIDFIELDERS. The next 2 drafts should draft as many mids as possible. We can muddle through with forwards until ready for a real crack but can't muddle through with sub standard midfield.
Reckon we need to draft a bunch of skilled midfleiders, they can rest up forward

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Minch can really play as that crumbing forward and needs to be given a chance.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eli...

That's enough, and as others have said....flashy mids can rest forward.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The pelican needs to find young talent with silky skills and with a good head on their shoulders and the footy club needs to provide an environment for them to flourish. Hopefully we can emulate Geelong...plus we have the bonus of Billings last year and another top 4 pick at the end of this year

Steven Motlop pick 39 (2008 draft), and Mitch Duncan pick 28 (2009 draft) and Allen Christensen pick 40 (2009 draft), Cameron Guthrie -pick 23 (2010 draft), and Horlin-Smith- pick 37 (2010 draft)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I would like to see more of Minchington - there is some class there. He needs more game time to develop further.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The pelican needs to find young talent with silky skills and with a good head on their shoulders and the footy club needs to provide an environment for them to flourish. Hopefully we can emulate Geelong...plus we have the bonus of Billings last year and another top 4 pick at the end of this year

Steven Motlop pick 39 (2008 draft), and Mitch Duncan pick 28 (2009 draft) and Allen Christensen pick 40 (2009 draft), Cameron Guthrie -pick 23 (2010 draft), and Horlin-Smith- pick 37 (2010 draft)
Not all roses for the cats, I hope we don't blow this many early picks..,
Pick 15 Mitch brown
Pick 33 tom gillies
Pick 17 Daniel Menzel
Pick 32 Joel hamling
Pick 34 Shane kersten

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep. As Dragit pointed out, it can be a game of hits & misses, but the "pluses" need to override the misses, or you end up where we are - at the bottom :(

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We need to learn how to lock the ball in the forward line. Just doesn't look like enough scrapping at ground level and the ball rebounds way too easily.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We need many players in many positions but mids with run would be my first area to look at. Is Petracca that type? Not so sure. We have to many Lennys, Weller, Ross, Curran types. We need a new Joey or two.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We need many players in many positions but mids with run would be my first area to look at. Is Petracca that type? Not so sure. We have to many Lennys, Weller, Ross, Curran types. We need a new Joey or two.
Agree!

No more stocky inside types.

Need more similar to Elliott, Wingard etc

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

A bit off topic, but Milney is currently leading the Bendigo League goalkicking with 73 from 15 games. Kicked 8 yesterday. 9 the week before. Getting their money's worth. He might even get to play in a premiership.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:A bit off topic, but Milney is currently leading the Bendigo League goalkicking with 73 from 15 games. Kicked 8 yesterday. 9 the week before. Getting their money's worth. He might even get to play in a premiership.
His trial starts this month from memory?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:A bit off topic, but Milney is currently leading the Bendigo League goalkicking with 73 from 15 games. Kicked 8 yesterday. 9 the week before. Getting their money's worth. He might even get to play in a premiership.

I think he is someone like 4k a game but it looks like he is providing every bit of that and maybe more. Good on you Milney. You are a star.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think he is someone like 4k a game but it looks like he is providing every bit of that and maybe more. Good on you Milney. You are a star.

Yep. One of my all time favourite players and one of the best small forwards of all time.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Getting flogged in outside run. No real pace apart from Stanley in the entire side (and Eli).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Milne was a once in a generation player. Lucky he played at the saints, feels so empty in the forwardline without that freakish little goal sneak.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Freebird
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We need many players in many positions but mids with run would be my first area to look at. Is Petracca that type? Not so sure. We have too many Lennys, Weller, Ross, Curran types. We need a new Joey or two.

You nailed it..our problem is too many c/d grade mids ....If Petracca is considered as being highly thought of "A grade" then we needs these types as well as pace.

Is Petracca considered slow? I thought he was quite quick but not express. Tested the same as roo I thought over 20m